Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Outside looking in - Team Canada 2014

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh Posted - 01/07/2014 : 11:16:09
Team Canada announced their 2014 Olympic roster today. Which player below do you think was most deserving to make the team but didn't?
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ryan93 Posted - 01/24/2014 : 19:09:29
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Doesn't Neal usually lineup alongside Malkin? Or am i mistaken?

Normally he does yes. He's played with Sid when Malkin has been injured though and performed very well...as I'm sure any of St.Louis, Giroux, etc would do as we'll lol.
Alex116 Posted - 01/24/2014 : 17:43:18
Doesn't Neal usually lineup alongside Malkin? Or am i mistaken?
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/24/2014 : 12:32:01
Problem with Neal is you already have Kunitz. I don't think there is room for 2 guys who are there strictly because they have chemistry with Crosby. A case can be made that Crosby could play with half of the Team Canada invites and the players, they select because of the chemistry had better have prior international experience or intangibles that make them a lock over more established players like St Louis, Giroux, Thorton, etc, etc etc. Either that or you only room for so many strictly chemistry players.
Guest7607 Posted - 01/23/2014 : 21:46:31
I think an exceptionally strong case could be made for Neal. Had he not been injured at the start of the season he WOULD be second in scoring in the league. On a point per game basis only Crosby is better. At the time he took that stupid suspension for five games, for not thinking, he was flying and could have 10 points more than he does.... A shame he didn't make it but there are some amazing players who did. GO CANADA.

ryan93 Posted - 01/15/2014 : 17:09:47
I was watching Hockey Central at Noon on Sportsnet one day following the announcement and they were also speculating that the fact Sidney Crosby and Claude Giroux don't get along could possibly played part in the decision. Who knows.
Alex116 Posted - 01/15/2014 : 13:22:31
A lot of rumours circulating about Giroux not making the team and i've heard / read a couple of opinions that him not making that orientation camp may have hurt his chances? I know we discussed that issue back when it occurred and thought we'd determined that Stevie Y told him not to bother and use the time to heal, etc but now i'm hearing otherwise? Anyone else hear this rumour?

As far as i'm concerned, if he could have made it and they didn't basically demand he not come, then i could see it having an affect? If ANYONE in any sort of position with Team Canada suggested he stay home and heal then i'd have to think this rumour is completely untrue?
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/15/2014 : 10:59:11
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:

quote:

I voted for Marty St. Louis.
Especially with Stamkos on the team, but primarily on his own merit . . . the little old guy absolutely deserved to be there again, despite probably none of us thinking he had a chance a year ago.

Still has great wheels, a premier playmaker and quite good goalscorer . . . and all the experience and savvy to boot.

A close second for me is Giroux.

Third for me is Thornton, although I can totally see the "slower skater" argument from them, I just think he's playing at such an elite level, he also has to be on this team.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Slozo....

I agree totally with St Louis and Giroux, but disagree with Thornton. Yes he's got that crazy number of assists and points but on the big ice, he'd have to replace a C as unlike MSL and Giroux, he can't play on the wing. Which C would he play ahead of? The only one i could see is Bergeron but lets face it, Bergeron is on the team for a totally different role. I'm not surprised at all the the aging, yet still NHL effective, Joe Thornton, is not on this squad.

The other two surprise me though. A lot of people are blaming Grioux's slow start but what does that really have to do with anything when he's been on a tear the past month or two? He also began the season coming off that injury so the slow start isn't as surprising as some think.

I would have had Thornton sitting, as the extra C. He could step into any line and be an amazing replacement. Would not have to replace a C . . . I would have taken Duchene off there. I would take Nash off and replace with St. Louis.

Whole heartedly agree with this post here on Thorton. Once on the team and working in drills, my thought are there would be no way Thorton would not be used on this team and sitting. I am ok with him not being there, but I am glad that he is now getting the respect from the fans for the snub. Hate it when people were talking about him as a player given no consideration, because others were better. Outside of Crosby there isn't a more consistently successful Center in the league who can go toe to toe with any other first line center.
Guest6751 Posted - 01/09/2014 : 11:54:52
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9644

I would like to add Mike Richards into the mix here... You don't hear much about him now that he's on the west coast but he's still playing!! He's a center that could easily replace Bergeron as the role player. Has great chemistry with Carter; was on part of "hands down" the best line at the last Olympics in Vancouver with Nash and Toews. Has lead many teams to Championships, no one in the NHL has won what he has. His numbers would most likely be higher if he didn't get the wingers that are struggling after losing the ones that he helps catch fire ie. Carter.

Don't get me wrong I like Mke Richards alot. But he can't outdo what Bergeron delivers (faceoff especially and some PK).

What has he won that no one in the NHL has won? Stretching it a bit no?
n/a Posted - 01/09/2014 : 07:16:31
quote:

quote:

Especially with Stamkos on the team, but primarily on his own merit . . . the little old guy absolutely deserved to be there again, despite probably none of us thinking he had a chance a year ago.

Still has great wheels, a premier playmaker and quite good goalscorer . . . and all the experience and savvy to boot.

Third for me is Thornton, although I can totally see the "slower skater" argument from them, I just think he's playing at such an elite level, he also has to be on this team.

Slozo....

I agree totally with St Louis and Giroux, but disagree with Thornton. Yes he's got that crazy number of assists and points but on the big ice, he'd have to replace a C as unlike MSL and Giroux, he can't play on the wing. Which C would he play ahead of? The only one i could see is Bergeron but lets face it, Bergeron is on the team for a totally different role. I'm not surprised at all the the aging, yet still NHL effective, Joe Thornton, is not on this squad.

The other two surprise me though. A lot of people are blaming Grioux's slow start but what does that really have to do with anything when he's been on a tear the past month or two? He also began the season coming off that injury so the slow start isn't as surprising as some think.

I would have had Thornton sitting, as the extra C. He could step into any line and be an amazing replacement. Would not have to replace a C . . . I would have taken Duchene off there. I would take Nash off and replace with St. Louis.

Guest9644 Posted - 01/09/2014 : 07:10:24
I would like to add Mike Richards into the mix here... You don't hear much about him now that he's on the west coast but he's still playing!! He's a center that could easily replace Bergeron as the role player. Has great chemistry with Carter; was on part of "hands down" the best line at the last Olympics in Vancouver with Nash and Toews. Has lead many teams to Championships, no one in the NHL has won what he has. His numbers would most likely be higher if he didn't get the wingers that are struggling after losing the ones that he helps catch fire ie. Carter.

Guest4271 Posted - 01/09/2014 : 01:13:38
can't believe they took Subban, Seabrook is better defensively and by the looks of it, they don't have one stay at home defenseman. Seabrook also can play with Keith.

Marleau deserves to be on the team, I would say more then Nash and possibly Carter. I would say Carter is as much a surprise as when I seen Nash on there.

Either way, if they don't win it's Yzerman's fault. His job is a no win situation, some guys feel snubbed, I don't think I would want the responsability of picking the team.

Kunitz also deserves his spot, the guy has the desire that this team will need, and as stated on TSN he can also have chemistry with the Getzlaf and Perry duo.

THINK GOALTENDING IS THE BIGGEST QUESTION?? Fleury should be the starter, has a cup and has the most wins this year, it is about winning,
Guest4424 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 22:55:15
Just to add to my last message, With band-aids like Carter and Nash there still might be hope for players that should be on Team Canada like Giroux, St-Louis and Thornton!!! lol Go Team Canada!!! Also, Go Leafs Go!!!
Guest4424 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 22:42:52
Just to add to my last message, With band-aids like Carter and Nash there still might be hope for players that should be on Team Canada like Giroux, St-Louis and Thornton!!! lol Go Team Canada!!! Also, Go Leafs Go!!!
Guest4424 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 22:37:22
Giroux should be on Team Canada hands down!!! As good as anybody on this team. If not for his injury at the start of the season (playing golf), he'd probably be top 5 in points in the NHL!!! Not to mention on one heck of a point streak right now, taking the Flyers from being a bottom feeder to a playoff spot in the eastern conference. A player like Giroux could play any forward position as good as anybody on this team. I'll take Giroux over Marleau, Carter, Kunitz, Bergeron, Nash or Duchene. In fact the only players I would pick before him would be Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and maybe Perry. Don't get me wrong, Marleau, Carter, Kunitz, Bergeron, Nash and Duchene are all great players but i'm not so sure I wouldn't have taken Thornton over any of those players. Thornton's second in the NHL in assists!!! In the end I would exchange Carter, Kunitz and Nash for Giroux, St-Louis and Thornton all day long!!! Lucic would have been an interesting player as-well and Vlasic? come on!!!
Pasty7 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 15:09:01
as i said in another I can`t and couldn`t see Giroux on this team as it stands now,

Tavares, Stamkos Crosby Geztlaf and Toews are all superior centers to Giroux IMO at least this season,

Duchene has out played Giroux this season and equally as versitaile playing in all situations

Already you have Tavres and Stamkos who will most likley play out of position Duchene as well

I don`t see why you would take Giroux over Benn Marleau Sharp Kunitz or Perry who are all having as good if not better seasons than Giroux and would be playing their natural positions? It`s a short tourny what if Giroux takes some time to adapt to the wing?

The only person i could see Giroux replaceing is Bergeron, and personally i think Bergeron as a role player is essential,

So no to Giroux personaly

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
sahis34 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 13:39:52
Hall should be on your list because of his speed and the big ice
Alex116 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 13:22:20
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2268

I know he was injured for the first 2 months of the season this year but how is Letang not even mentioned in any discussion of who should have been on this years Olympic team. he's the top scoring defensemen in the NHL for the past 2 seasons! young, fast, talented.

I think you have to look at a couple of things when dealing with Letang. First, his defense is questionable. Yes, this same thing is said about Subban, but when it comes down to it, they prob wouldn't take both and Subban's been better all around this year so he gets the edge. Second, he prob gets an extra 5-10 points playing with the Pens (compared to Subban on the Habs for example). Nothing wrong with this, but if you're going to point out that he was the top scoring dman for the past two seasons, then it's only fair to realize this. He's a good skater, but not as good as Subban. Again, they wouldn't take two of these guys you'd think and they chose Subban over Letang.

It's really not more shocking than when Mike Green was left off in '10 after putting up better than PPG numbers the year before (and during 2010).
Leafs81 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 13:18:42
If chemistry is so important (ahem Kunitz... ahem) Why is not St-Louis and Seabrook in????

Although for Seabrook I remember him not having much ice time with Babcock as head coach. So maybe Babcock just told them not to bother. But since 2010 he has 2 Stanley Cups. Him and Keith are champions.

So I would put Seabrook for Vlasic
St-Louis for Kunitz
and Giroux for Marleau.
Guest9247 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 12:35:04
Its not always about the points you know. There is a thing called "Playing Defense" you need some of those guys on your team.

quote:
Originally posted by Cyclonis

I voted Dan Boyle despite his current +/- ! He has more points than Vlasic over fewer games and has always been a great skater. He was great in 2010 and i think he has the skating, vision, and awareness to work the larger ice surface. I am not sure how Vlasic gets picked over Boyle...Crazy!

Watching the World Jr's this year with no Darnel Nurse playing, the brutal defensive breakdowns, and Dumba being played into the ground...team Canada needs to focus more on their D!

Guest4822 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 10:36:50
Brent Seabrook & Corey Crawford !!
Guest2268 Posted - 01/08/2014 : 07:19:40
I know he was injured for the first 2 months of the season this year but how is Letang not even mentioned in any discussion of who should have been on this years Olympic team. he's the top scoring defensemen in the NHL for the past 2 seasons! young, fast, talented.
Alex116 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 20:37:07
quote:
Originally posted by just1n

So if St. Louis and Giroux and should be on the team - who gets left off?

Very fair question and I'm not sure I have the answer. Looking in, I'd say Nash and Marleau, yet I'm not freaking out like a lot of people over these choices. Let's face it, there were going to be some "snubs" and everyone's got an opinion about who should and shouldn't be there. Any way you look at it, it's a phenomenal lineup and ought to be in the medals.
Guest2080 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 17:03:41
Marleau and Crosby's choice (Kunitz)
just1n Posted - 01/07/2014 : 16:35:03
So if St. Louis and Giroux and should be on the team - who gets left off?
Alex116 Posted - 01/07/2014 : 16:21:36
quote:

Slozo....

Cyclonis Posted - 01/07/2014 : 14:28:26
I voted Dan Boyle despite his current +/- ! He has more points than Vlasic over fewer games and has always been a great skater. He was great in 2010 and i think he has the skating, vision, and awareness to work the larger ice surface. I am not sure how Vlasic gets picked over Boyle...Crazy!

Watching the World Jr's this year with no Darnel Nurse playing, the brutal defensive breakdowns, and Dumba being played into the ground...team Canada needs to focus more on their D!
leigh Posted - 01/07/2014 : 12:04:03
Hard not to see St. Louis on this team. If Stamkos is healthy the last 6 weeks you can add another 10 to 15 points to his total and he's 2nd or 3rd in scoring instead of 24th. You can't deny his experience.

Thornton may be a little slower than the rest of the guys but his big body makes up for it. He's impossible to knock off the puck, he's 1st in assists at the half-way mark, and 5th in scoring. not having him on the team just doesn't make sense. And same as St. Louis, his leadership and experience would have neen invaluable.

Eric Staal not there - could be a strong debate here? Also Would love to have seen Iginla but it makes sense. This last 12 months has been hard on his stats. Sad to see this thoroughbred losing his step.

It's obvious that it's a complete changing of the guard now. Yzerman has ripped the band-aid off to get us all over it quickly. At any rate, you gotta love being in a country where you can easily ice two teams (maybe 3?) that have a legitimate shot at winning the gold.
n/a Posted - 01/07/2014 : 11:32:20

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page