Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2014 Team Canada

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest9832 Posted - 02/23/2014 : 16:35:22
Was this the best defensive team with the best defensive core ever? I can't ever remember a time when the Norris winner was regularly scratched from a tourney. Talk about defensive depth.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The_Gipper Posted - 02/24/2014 : 09:50:39
the part of their defensive game that amazed me the most, especially in the semi-final game against the USA, is the poise and calmness they showed when moving the puck out of their own zone. even when they were in the tightest of forechecking situations, whenever they got possession of the puck it was always a couple of nice easy short passes out of the zone. not once did i see them get into a panic and simply ice the puck. so calm, so smooth. amazing to watch.
nuxfan Posted - 02/24/2014 : 09:11:05
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9832

Was this the best defensive team with the best defensive core ever? I can't ever remember a time when the Norris winner was regularly scratched from a tourney. Talk about defensive depth.

I don't know. Every Olympics team Canada seems to put together an amazing defensive core, and this year was no different. In fact, there are not that many differences between this year and 2010 in the top 6 - Doughty, Weber, Keith were all back. Instead of Niedermayer, Pronger, Boyle, Seabrook, we had Pietrangelo, Vlasic, J-Bo - I'm not sure if that is a huge upgrade. You could argue that the top 3 are better this time around, having had an additional 4 years to mature and grow as players.

I also don't think you can overlook the defensive nature of the core group of forwards, who were backchecking like demons and winning faceoffs galore, and not making stupid plays. Or the performance of Price. He was faced 30-ish shots in each of the last 2 games, so its not like he wasn't busy making great saves. Team effort, perhaps moreso than in past years.

I agree with Alex regarding the Norris trophy - it is quickly losing its "best defenseman" title, and instead going to "best offensive defenseman" on a regular basis. A tournament like this one makes it pretty clear how valuable a Doughty/Weber/J-Bo type "complete defenseman" really is to a team, and the fact that the reigning Norris trophy winner didn't even suit up says something. The runner up (Kris Letang) didn't even make the team.

I don't think you need 2 trophies for defense - just get back to awarding the Norris to the best all around defenseman. The league is too preoccupied with offense.
Alex116 Posted - 02/23/2014 : 20:08:13
IMO, this shows more than ever the flaw with the Norris. It's continually given to one of the most offensive dmen in the game. Gone are the days of Rod Langway types winning this award and they really should be in the running. I'm all for a guy putting up some offense, but I think defense should be weighted better.

Subban's d has come a long way, but he's no Chara, Weber, Keith, etc. Same goes for Karlsson, who's d is behind even Subban's at this point.

Maybe, as I think Beans or someone has mentioned before, have an offensive and defensive dman award?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page