Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Dion Phaneuf - The Next Scott Stevens?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Komisaurus Posted - 11/29/2007 : 09:23:49
Let me know what you think...Is Dion Phaneuf The Next Scott Stevens??
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PuckNuts Posted - 11/29/2007 : 13:24:59
Scott Stevens started out as an offensive defenseman that played a physical game.

First 12 seasons he averaged .74 points / game, last 10 seasons .33 points / game.

It was in the later half of his career that he started throwing out the big hits.

Phaneuf is just starting his career, we will have to wait a few years to see if he develops into a bigger hitter, and do not forget Phaneuf fights, any fight I saw Stevens in he did not fare well...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Komisaurus Posted - 11/29/2007 : 12:31:22
Beans, i know he his nowhere near or if hell ever be able to be as fearsome as stevens was, because stevens was basically possessed on the ice when it came to hitting, although the hits ive seen phaneuf pull have been quite heavy, and the game has changed compared to stevens good days, but i give it a good couple of years before phaneuf will start to do some major damage, hes only 22 and is still far from his prime...Phaneuf already has 99 points in 161 games nto including this year, so i'd say hes off to a pretty good start...
Beans15 Posted - 11/29/2007 : 12:09:32
Although Phaneuf is a big hitter, he doesn't instill the fear into players that Stevens did. Phaneuf does not appear to be the kind of player to do the things that Stevens did, such as rock a guy on the ice, skate to the bench and look into the other teams bench and point out who is next to get rocked. Players absolutely feared Stevens hits. I just don't see that from Phaneuf.

Besides that, Stevens had 908 points in 1635 games. Not bad when he is considered a "stay at home" defenseman. Phaneuf does appear through 2 and a bit worth of seasons that he is better offensively.

Dion has a long way to go to come close to Stevens status, but he has the potential. However, in regards to the hittting comparison, Stevens takes it hands down.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Komisaurus Posted - 11/29/2007 : 11:55:32
I love the way dion phaneuf hits and plays...Hes physically strong defensivly and smart with the puck offensivly, i would say more than scott stevens(only offensivley) it would be a while before he can be as intimidating and fearsome as scott stevens, but give it a while, hes got a good team but he could use more support from the flames, and hes already made it to the stanley cup finals so far, i think in his firt rookie year...Hes still very young but very very mature for his age and is yet to reach his full potential...
Guest2841 Posted - 11/29/2007 : 11:29:43
Dion Phaneuf is definately as high caliber as any defencemen in the league. In my opinion there is no shadow of a doubt he will surpass scott stevens and would carry the flames to the cup if he could get some decent goaltending from kippy
willus3 Posted - 11/29/2007 : 11:28:11
I have to say I sure hope not. At least I hope he doesn't intentionally try to delete other players and be remembered that way. Instead I'd like to see him remembered as a great defenceman.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Guest6916 Posted - 11/29/2007 : 11:02:19
Hey Kingwoody. The question is about the future, not the present. if he already carried the Flames to 3 stanley cups he wouldn't "the next scott stevens", he'd be dion phaneuf.

I think will be better....I hear he is already a leader, he's got the monsterous hits and he's actually a better goal scorer than Stevens. If he stays healthy I think he'll be better than Stevens both offensively and defensively.
kingwoody2 Posted - 11/29/2007 : 10:13:41
No and the resaon is until Dion Phaneuf carries the Flames to 3 Stanley Cups then he is not. Good player but not in the same calibre...yet....

Scott Stevens- best defenceman ever!!!!

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page