Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Forum Rules and Announcements
 Sid vs Ovi vs Stammer

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hockeyrocks101 Posted - 11/25/2010 : 19:06:13
If you could only choose on of these superstars for your fantasy team,which one would you choose? Reply to this topic to tell me why you would choose this player over the other two. 1 point for a goal 1 for an assisst.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 11/27/2010 : 14:15:05
I'd pick Ovechkin 1, Crosby 2, Stamkos 3 before the start of this season.

Even if the talent is pretty even (I don't think Stamkos is at the level of Crosby or Ovie, but let's leave it at that), Ovie is on a superior, offensively oriented team. That to me is a huge edge.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Awesome One Posted - 11/26/2010 : 22:19:04
Way too tough to call, it's like telling one of your brothers that you like him more.
I'd say: 1.Crosby 2.Ovechkin 3.Stamkos.

But of course, this could vary from week to week.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Guest4606 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 21:43:33
Hey I knew if i got stamkos i would get St louis there isnt a better 1-2 combo rite know..I have gagne too but he is Injured so i well trade him away for hedjuk.
Alex116 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 14:37:06
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Why would you put St. Louis (at least at the start of the year) behind Stamkos?? They were one point apart last season and historically, St. Louis has been in the top 5-10 in NHL scoring for the past 5-7 years.

Why? The same reason i put Ovi and Sid above them both, because before the season started, i was predicting more points from Stamkos than St Louis. Pretty obvious really

I understand what you mean with history and consistency, but there are certain elite players i would ignore that on. It didn't take long for guys like Ovechkin and Crosby to be going in the first few picks of a draft if i recall correctly. Surely in their 2nd years, the "experienced poolies" you compete with weren't leaving them till the 11th overall pick were they? I'm not saying Stamkos is their equal just yet, but after the solid end to his rookie season where he avg'd approx a pt per game over the last quarter mixed with the outstanding sophmore year, all thrown in with the fact that age was the only thing that kept him off Team Canada, that was enough to convince me that this kid is in fact "elite".

I know you hate when we bring up "the experts", but darn near every pool book i checked, Stamkos was ranked higher than St. Louis? They may not be correct 100% of the time, but they generally give a pretty good guideline.

*ETA..... FTR, St. Loius has not been a top 10 guy in each of the last 5-7 years. In fact, in 06 he finished with only 61 pts. That certainly didn't put him in the top 10, nor did his 80 pts in '09 (16th overall) or his 83 pts in '08 (tied for 12th). These numbers in my mind justify him being picked in the 8-15 range, likely closer to 8-10 due to the arrival of Stamkos, who i still would have picked ahead of him.
doublechamp7 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 14:04:06
Stamkos was the second overall pick in my draft behind Ovechkin, I got a bunch of steals like Crosby 6th overall, Thorton 20th and Semin 28th
Beans15 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 12:38:13
Why would you put St. Louis (at least at the start of the year) behind Stamkos?? They were one point apart last season and historically, St. Louis has been in the top 5-10 in NHL scoring for the past 5-7 years.

I can see if people put them close to each other, however Stamkos has one season that was on fire. Not multiple like others.

Start of the season, based purely on points, my list of potential first picks in order would have been:

Ovechkin
Crosby
H. Sedin
St. Louis
J. Thornton
Backstrom
D. Sedin
Malkin

A group of guys like Stamkos, Getzlaf, Datsuyk, Zetterberg would have been next.

Stamkos was not in my top 5 at the start of the year. Consistency over time is very important when picking early in a draft.
Alex116 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 11:59:11
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4606

I took Stamkos in my pool 4th over all and St loius in my second Pick.. Even if i had a shot at OV or Crosby No way would i have taken them .. Stamkos was amazing with st loius last yr . I dont believe there is a Better Line in Hockey Stamkos,St loius and Ryan Malone..1 point for goal's and ass and 3 points for Shout out in my Pool..

Well then Guest, i big "Shout out" to you....Gimme my 3pts! I'm assuming you meant shut out and not shoot out? Either way, i too had Stamkos ranked ahead of St Louis. St. Louis actually dropped to 15th (12 team snake draft) as i sat with the 19th pick praying i'd get him (knew it wouldn't happen). I ended up with Kopitar at 19th and could have done worse i guess?

Beans, i was wrong... I just double checked and in fact he (Stamkos) went 4th in 1, 6th in 2 and 7th in the other. Keep in mind, there is a very big "love fest" here in Van for the Sedin's so considering Ovi, Sid, Backstrom, Malkin, Henrik and Daniel are all "potential top 5's", Stamkos "slipping" to 7th wasn't a shock to me. Personally, I'd have taken him in the top 7 for sure and def before St. Louis, though both are good picks IMO. Oh, and fwiw, only one of my pools involves some inexperienced poolies.
Guest4606 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 11:50:09
I took Stamkos in my pool 4th over all and St loius in my second Pick.. Even if i had a shot at OV or Crosby No way would i have taken them .. Stamkos was amazing with st loius last yr . I dont believe there is a Better Line in Hockey Stamkos,St loius and Ryan Malone..1 point for goal's and ass and 3 points for Shout out in my Pool..
Beans15 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 10:49:49
I would and have taken Ovechkin first. I don't care how much I can't stand the guy, we are talking about money. That is the only thing that is important.

My draft was a 15 person snake with 7 forwards, 4 defense, and 2 goalies manatory.Pts for goal and assist, 2 pts for goalie win and 2 more for shut out.

I picked in the 7 hole for my wife's team and 11 hole for my team. I gave her St. Louis and I took Stamkos. The folks in my draft are very smart and long term poolies so a guy like Stamkos slips to later in the round as they (as well as I) don't like putting a ton of weight into very young players. I would not have taken Stamkos if I was in an earlier position.

The surprise in my draft was I got Marleau on my team in the 3rd round.
Alex116 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 09:31:45
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Firstly, the point is moot. The first player picked will rarely win your draft. It's often your mid to late round picks.

Much like Chris Osgood or Anti Niemi, your first pick will not win the draft, but choosing poorly could lose you your draft. The difference between Crosby, Ovechkin, and Stamkos is not really significant enough to say that you would win your draft by picking one guy over the other.

However, if I had first pick in the draft I would pick Ovechkin. Reason being is he is the most consistent (both inproductivity and health) of any player in the NHL. Seasons of 109, 110, 112, 106 and 92 and games played of 72, 79, 82, 82, and 81. It's pretty hard to compete when 4 of his 5 seasons are within 6 points and 3 games of each other.

However, Stamkos may become my choice if he produces this year and next.

(PS-I picked up Stamkos in my draft as my #1 pick in the 11th spot. Cha-ching!!)

Beans, you wouldn't pick Ovi, because he's not a professional, he does immature things, he shouldn't be captain AND you hate him! Sorry, been reading that other thread too much....

I'd prob pick him too. He's proven his worth and if not for the suspension last year, he'd have won the Art Ross with ease. Stamkos is gonna have to have at least 2 seasons beating both Sid and Ovi for me to take him over them.

As for your draft, that's a huge steal! He was gone in the top 5 in all my drafts (i'm in 4), usually at the 4th or 5th spot! St. Louis was the steal at this point, going late 2nd round and even the 3rd round in 1 of them! 11th??? If that's a 10 person or less draft, you got him 2nd round, that's crazy. If it's more than that, that's a pretty darn good 1st rounder for you. And i thought getting Thornton at 12 was good. Sheeesh.....way to burst my bubble....
Beans15 Posted - 11/26/2010 : 08:55:25
Firstly, the point is moot. The first player picked will rarely win your draft. It's often your mid to late round picks.

Much like Chris Osgood or Anti Niemi, your first pick will not win the draft, but choosing poorly could lose you your draft. The difference between Crosby, Ovechkin, and Stamkos is not really significant enough to say that you would win your draft by picking one guy over the other.

However, if I had first pick in the draft I would pick Ovechkin. Reason being is he is the most consistent (both inproductivity and health) of any player in the NHL. Seasons of 109, 110, 112, 106 and 92 and games played of 72, 79, 82, 82, and 81. It's pretty hard to compete when 4 of his 5 seasons are within 6 points and 3 games of each other.

However, Stamkos may become my choice if he produces this year and next.

(PS-I picked up Stamkos in my draft as my #1 pick in the 11th spot. Cha-ching!!)
nuxfan Posted - 11/26/2010 : 08:24:04
I mainly discount Crosby in this race due to supporting cast. Last 10 games aside, I don't think he will beat either Ovi or Stamkos in a scoring race this year.
nuxfan Posted - 11/26/2010 : 08:22:49
oh, I see that hockeyrocks modified the question to give point breakdowns. So this is just a straight breakdown of who is going to get more points overall.

If all were to play a full season with no injuries, I would think a tossup between Ovi and Stamkos. Both are point gobbling demons, and are probably good for 100+ points. Both have good supporting casts to dish them the puck or to dish the puck to.. Ovi has had a slow start while Stamkos has been quick, but I would not be surprised to find them both finish within 10 points of each other this year.

I guess if you're going to pick Stamkos, you have to think that he won't really slow down or slump this year. He's producing at sigificantly higher than his PPG average during his (short) NHL career so far (he's slightly under PPG over the last 3 years, including this year so far). One could argue that his career is too short to be talking about PPG averages, so like I said, you have to have some faith that he is currently setting a new high bar PPG average, rather than reverting to an existing one.

Ovechkin on the other hand, is producing near his average of 1.33 PPG over his career so far this year, and as he has done it regularly during his longer career, I don't doubt that he'll stick to it or near to it this year.
nuxfan Posted - 11/26/2010 : 08:13:18
the point setup would become important though - if there are additional points given for goals vs assists, and PP points vs even strength vs SH, that would factor in.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 11/26/2010 : 07:39:43
If this were the start of a new season and points are starting from 0, then I take Ovechkin or Stamkos based purely on the STACKED top lines for both teams. Washington and Tampa are goal scoring Machines in a defensively weak (by comparison) division. That means LOTS of points to go around.

Crosby is hot right now and likely is running for a second rocket, but he has less help and plays in a harder division. He's gotta work hard for all his points.

All three are absolute studs, but Stammer and Ovie's points will come a little easier than Crosby's. (IMHO)

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
nuxfan Posted - 11/25/2010 : 20:33:06
what is the point setup like for the fantasy league?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page