Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Czech, Finland, Slovakia Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  12:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which of these three teams is best?

Choices:

Czech Rebublic
Slovakia
Finland

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  14:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely Finland IMO.
Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  16:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
def finland no way these 2 teams r better i c finaland placing around 4th or 5th
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  16:47:27  Reply with Quote
Anyone look at past 2 olympics Selanne and Koviu have owned with saying that Finland Older and Wiser
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  00:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a tough poll to pick from, but I went with Finland.

Yeah, they are a bit long in the tooth, but if there was ever a tournament where that didn't matter as much it is the Olympics. Selanne is still a solid player, although he can't dominate like before . . . but the key has never been one dominating player for the Finns. They are like the Carolina Hurricans team that won the cup years ago - they roll all their lines almost equally, they all play super solid defence, and they can all pot the puck occasionally, while their D plays tough and solid, and they always have great goaltending.

The Czechs have a qestion mark in Jagr: can he still take this team on his back? Probably not, and there is no Hasek anymore, so I think they have fallen down a tier from those heady days.

The Slovaks would seem to be reaching their zenith these days, with Gaborik absolutely tearing up the league . . . but he's missing the first two games apparently now, and frankly . . . I see a lot of softness in the Slovaks. I think they will be easy to forecheck against, and they are no where near the toughness and size of the top 6 teams (Chara is the lone exception). I think they will disappoint.

Consistently, Finland is underrated - or they over-perform, not sure - but they are always in contention for a bronze or silver, and play a very good team game.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  09:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Average size of defenceman:
Slovakia: 6-2.5, 217.4
Canada: 6-2, 208.1
Russia: 6-1.5, 208.6
Sweden: 6-1, 202.6
USA: 6-1, 213.1
Finland: 6-1, 197.3
Czech Rep: 6-2, 207.5

Slovakia has a bigger defence than any of the top six nations, Chara is not there only big guy. All but Visnovsky and Sekera are at least 6-2, 210. Defence is a strong point for Slovakia, but goaltending could be an issue if Halak doesn't play well.

I think Slovakia is a bit better than Finland, but if it is true that Gaborik will miss the first couple of games (Russia and Czech Rep.) I don't like their chances as much.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  10:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally thought this would be Slovakia's coming out party. However, with Gaborik and Hossa both less than 100%, I am concerned.

I agree that the Fins are grossly underestimated in virtually every tourney they play in, but they are always near the top at the end. I like the grit of that team. Not the fighting kind of grit, but they play a strong game.

The Czech's I think are in their twilight of '98. The Guard is changing and honest, this group is not the group of the late 90's. As Slozo said, Jagr can't carry this team they way he did 5-10 years ago.

Fins
Slovaks
Czechs

In that order.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  11:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Slovakia are as strong as they've been in years past. Players like Demitra & Palffy are getting up there in years.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2010 :  14:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slovaks! Just cant shake the feeling this team still has it. Its not like this team hasn't done it before and Goaltender and Defense is stellar. Gaborik with a few more days rest, Hossa is really the only question mark and if he's ready this is the team to watch.

Slovaks
Finn's
Czechs
Go to Top of Page

Guest5904
( )

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  14:15:01  Reply with Quote
i dont see how this is even worth discussing...slovaks have been on an international free fall lately, its been 6 or 7 years since they medalled at anything (juniors, world cup, world championship, olympics..) and fins have the most olmypic medals of any team since the beginning of the 80's.. whoever posted this, rethink your argument. finland hands down. czechs also coming off bronze in '06.. whoever picked slovakia hasnt been paying attention to hockey in the last decade
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont need a history lesson by you to tell me this team hasn't played to Gold medal form. However they do have the pieces to make the medal round. If you look at the game against the Czechs, Jagr elevated his game to win it in a tight game which could have gone either way. I still say this team could still surprise.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  23:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slovakia over the mighty Russians!!! Awesome Game!!

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  07:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5904

i dont see how this is even worth discussing...slovaks have been on an international free fall lately, its been 6 or 7 years since they medalled at anything (juniors, world cup, world championship, olympics..) and fins have the most olmypic medals of any team since the beginning of the 80's.. whoever posted this, rethink your argument. finland hands down. czechs also coming off bronze in '06.. whoever picked slovakia hasnt been paying attention to hockey in the last decade

Are you paying attention now guest?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  09:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:
Originally posted by Guest5904

Are you paying attention now guest?

LOL! Too funny Josh......
Go to Top of Page

Guest6672
( )

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  20:26:13  Reply with Quote
Well... Slovaks beat Russia... and Czechs are no slouch either... imagine these two rosters merged like they were in the good 'ol days? Even so... I'd give the nod to the Czechs over Finns or Slovaks. Honestly, Canada's team always worries me. Not for lack of talent... but the inability to play TOGETHER as a team. Russia got a wake up call. They need to stop letting Ovechkin try to do everything himself. It will be interesting for sure... and it will come down to goaltending!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  21:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Czechs, Fins or Slovaks? Hmm...

A tough question indeed.

I'd have to say my pick for these Olympics (2010), would have to be the Czechs to win Gold over Slovakia or Finland.

All three teams are connecting well together, playing a solid team game.

Czech Republic are my choice over these two, though all three are doing well.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  09:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Czechs got the nod from me, Jagr can still carry the boys.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  22:32:53  Reply with Quote
SLOVAKIA PWNS ALL
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  08:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finland: 3rd, Bronze medal
Slovakia: 4th (lost to Finland in bronze medal game)
Czech Republic: tied for 5th (eliminated by Finland)

Unfortunately for Finland, they had one stinker of a game against the USA,. Other than that, they played solid as usual and beat both of the other teams in question. Credit to Slovakia though, they played very well and deserved their 4th place.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  10:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Finland: 3rd, Bronze medal
Slovakia: 4th (lost to Finland in bronze medal game)
Czech Republic: tied for 5th (eliminated by Finland)

Unfortunately for Finland, they had one stinker of a game against the USA,. Other than that, they played solid as usual and beat both of the other teams in question. Credit to Slovakia though, they played very well and deserved their 4th place.

Full credit to Finland for the bronze, however, they did have another game which could arguabley be called a "stinker". Their round robin game vs Sweden was pretty bad on their part. Believe me i know, i witnessed it, and it wasn't pretty! A 3-0 loss, outshot 32-20 and just simply an uninspired effort. Guess it did get them onto the better side of the draw in the end by avoiding Canada and Russia, although as we know, they did have to play the US, and that didn't go so well.....
Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  14:14:29  Reply with Quote
I am a major Slovak fan but if Gaborik wasn't injured they would of beat finland, and probably Canada then U.S.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page