Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 U.S.A players Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many players from team U.S.A. do you think would make Canada?

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  16:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say Kane, Parise, Miller, Rafalski, and Bobby Ryan

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  17:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see Rafalski or Ryan making it. The first three you mentioned, yes.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  17:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using Hindsight, Rafalski might as he has played very well in the past 4 games. However, pre-Games, no he doesn't make it.

I would also put an outside shot on Paul Stastny but that might be more of my man crush on him. I love the way that kid plays hockey!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  19:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Using Hindsight, Rafalski might as he has played very well in the past 4 games. However, pre-Games, no he doesn't make it.

I would also put an outside shot on Paul Stastny but that might be more of my man crush on him. I love the way that kid plays hockey!

Funny thing Beans, i have always thought Stastny to be pretty darn good although i haven't seen him play a ton (once live and a few times on the tube) however, the other day, i heard someone (one of our good "analyst" friends on the radio) claiming him to be very over rated? It's not my opinion from what i've seen of him, just thought i'd mention it.......
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  12:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miller would make it for sure. Kane could.... still not sure if yzerman would have taken him though. Doesnt really seem to be the type of person Canada would bring with them, nor do I feel he could bounce anyone on canadas top two lines off the team. Id rather have stamkos than Kane. Some of you will disagree with me, thats fine, Kane is still a really talented player

I could easily see a david backes on the canadian 4th line..
ryan kesler could be on that line as well.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  13:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willus I'm pretty sure Ryan would make it to play on a line with Getzlaf and Perry
Matt The last spot on the fourth line belongs to Morrow no way Backes or Kesler knock him off

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  15:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

Willus I'm pretty sure Ryan would make it to play on a line with Getzlaf and Perry
Matt The last spot on the fourth line belongs to Morrow no way Backes or Kesler knock him off

Morrow's played great, but before the tournament a lot of guys thought he'd be a longshot. I too believe Kesler might have had a chance at a spot on Team Canada. He's the perfect checking line / PK player who also adds some offense!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  16:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I might agree with this in some cases, but not always. Sure, Perry and Getzlaf have stayed together as well as the Shark line, but where has Seabrook been??

At the start of the Olympics I argued about how important chemistry is, but it's easy to forget how quickly the best players in the world can find that chemistry (Willus, in a round about way that is saying you were right!!)

It took about 2 games for Doughty and Keith to click. For that, I would say that Ryan has limited upside and playing only because of linemates is not always the best move.

I don't put Ryan ahead an of the Canadian forwards. And definately not Kessler or Backes. I still think there are better Canadian's that didn't make the team than those guys.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  16:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough question.

I could have two answers . . . which Americans would make my team Canada, and which I think would make Stevie Y's team Canada. I'll give you mine.

Ryan Miller (second goalie behind Brodeur, so he'd be playing now)
Backes (I wouldn't have picked Morrow in hindsight, and Backes is so much tougher with a better scoring touch)
Rafalski (I wouldn't have picked Doughty or Seabrook or Boyle, and would have had Green and Bouwmeester instead)

Kane and Kesler and Kessel and Ryan are tough cuts . . . but Canada just has too many great players!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  20:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although we have 3 very good goaltenders, with the type of season he is having you would have to assume Ryan Miller would of made Team Canada.

Zach Parise & Patrick Kane are both interesting...both would definitely be considered, but both are smaller forwards where as Yzerman has obviously put a huge emphasis on big, skiller forwards. I think Parise would be on team, Kane possibly.

Brian Rafalski would be a possiblity as well, Canada is just so deep on defense though that it would really just come down to who Yzerman & company like. That said, the Detroit connection with Yzerman & coach Mike Babcock could be an important factor.

Bobby Ryan...yes he'd seem like a natural fit on the Getzlaf/Perry line, but i really dont' think he'd stand a chance of making the team.

Ryan Kesler, no i don't think so. I'd put him in the same boat as a Mike Fisher, who of course didn't make the team.

David Backes...not a chance.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  04:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more i think about it, the more i think Kesler wouldn't have made it. I do think he'd have been considered, way before a guy like Backes, but i don't see them picking a team like they used to. Remember the days when they took the Zamuners, Maltby's, Drapers, Dirk Grahams, etc to the big tourney's? Well, if you wanted a true 4th liner (at this level) who could check, kill penalties, supply some energy and even some offense, then Kesler's as good as any!

Parise, small or not, would have to make team Canada! Kane, maybe, but throw in Stamkos, St. Louis, etc and it's a tough choice?

Miller, WOW, how tough this would have been? I have to say this much though.....we really can't judge this one too closely because we've not seen and paid attention to his developement as closely as we might have a Canadian goalie? Maybe that's confusing? What i mean is, over the past few years, it's been Brodeur, Luongo, Flreury, Ward, Mason, etc....That's it. If Miller was in fact Canadian, it could have made a HUGE difference in opinions of who's the next best??? Miller would have been a tough choice with the way he's playing this year? I think you'd have to have him in there, be it as the 1, 2 or 3?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2211
( )

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:15:05  Reply with Quote
Isnt Miller number 1 in the NHL right now in GAA and SAVE PERCENTAGE ?? i think so. May be the best goalie in the world right now. Big goaltending WINS Big games !! I pity Calgary fans, personally i never did like Kipper, too small for 1 thing...cant see him ever leading Calgary to greatness.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  13:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

The more i think about it, the more i think Kesler wouldn't have made it. I do think he'd have been considered, way before a guy like Backes, but i don't see them picking a team like they used to. Remember the days when they took the Zamuners, Maltby's, Drapers, Dirk Grahams, etc to the big tourney's? Well, if you wanted a true 4th liner (at this level) who could check, kill penalties, supply some energy and even some offense, then Kesler's as good as any!

Parise, small or not, would have to make team Canada! Kane, maybe, but throw in Stamkos, St. Louis, etc and it's a tough choice?

Miller, WOW, how tough this would have been? I have to say this much though.....we really can't judge this one too closely because we've not seen and paid attention to his developement as closely as we might have a Canadian goalie? Maybe that's confusing? What i mean is, over the past few years, it's been Brodeur, Luongo, Flreury, Ward, Mason, etc....That's it. If Miller was in fact Canadian, it could have made a HUGE difference in opinions of who's the next best??? Miller would have been a tough choice with the way he's playing this year? I think you'd have to have him in there, be it as the 1, 2 or 3?

I Love how a guy like Backes still flies under the radar. If this guy was Canadian, or played for a better team than St. Louis, there is no way he doesn't make this roster. Watch him tommorow cause he's a brick wall, with great hands, good offensive skills and good faceoff skills. He isn't even a slow player, so there is no reason he doesn't get consideration. Outside of offensive standout Parise easily the best forward for the American's.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  14:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Backes is a good player, i'm not saying that, but when you considering the riches Canada has at it's disposable, there is no way David Backes would of been one of the 13 forwards chosen.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  15:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Backes is a good player, i'm not saying that, but when you considering the riches Canada has at it's disposable, there is no way David Backes would of been one of the 13 forwards chosen.

I predict Backes to be a standout tomorrow. Best part is it will be head to head so you will actually get to compare. Best scenerio for us to rate him. I am really hoping for a 6-3 Canadian win but it depends on the traffic in from of Miller. If the dont get the traffic and he see's the majority of shots it wont go well for Canada
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  22:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

quote:

I predict Backes to be a standout tomorrow. Best part is it will be head to head so you will actually get to compare. Best scenerio for us to rate him. I am really hoping for a 6-3 Canadian win but it depends on the traffic in from of Miller. If the dont get the traffic and he see's the majority of shots it wont go well for Canada

Joshua....i'll admit, i haven't seen Backes play a lot but i'm sure he must be pretty good. Not just making Team USA, but the Canucks have been pursuing him for awhile now! All i hear is he's gonna be a tough guy to pry away from St. Louis. I will say this, i'm not shocked at all that he's flying under the radar. He's still young and in just his 4th year. Kesler on the other hand, has been around for a couple years longer and was nominated for a major award (Selke). I'm not about to say that Backes won't be as good or even better than Kesler in the long run, but at this point in their careers, i'd say Keslers a step up on him.

What i def don't agree with you on is your saying that " If this guy was Canadian, or played for a better team than St. Louis, there is no way he doesn't make this roster." I'm assuming you meant Team Canada's roster and if so, i don't think at this point in his career that he'd have had a chance. Way too many better players out there. I actually don't even know if he was considered a "lock" to make USA back in the summer???

Either way, i'll be sure to watch him tomorrow on the worlds biggest stage!

BTW, Guest 2211, how big does a goalie need to be? Kipper's 6-1? Maybe Chara should go in net?
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  05:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes David Backes was a lock to make the team. I remember Brian Burke stating before the season started saying that Backes was one of the players the US national teams will be built around in the coming years.

I also read a piece on him in one of my NHL Yearbook magazines, i forget what exactly it was he was attending, but David Backes was the player that was chosen to represent the 2010 US Men's Olympic team, so you knew right then that he was going to be on the team.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/28/2010 05:52:09
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  07:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes David Backes was a lock to make the team. I remember Brian Burke stating before the season started saying that Backes was one of the players the US national teams will be built around in the coming years.

I also read a piece on him in one of my NHL Yearbook magazines, i forget what exactly it was he was attending, but David Backes was the player that was chosen to represent the 2010 US Men's Olympic team, so you knew right then that he was going to be on the team.

I was not aware of this. I mean, i'd heard stuff about him along those lines that he would be a future building block as an up and coming American but never heard he was a lock, prob because only people saying that sort of thing would be media and i rarely heard discussions about the US team here in Canada. Obviously the media here was big on Kesler so he's the name i heard, being that he's a Canuck.

Anyway, Kesler, Backes, etc, are all pretty darn good. Let's just hope they wait one more day before playing their best hockey!

Enjoy the game all!

GO CANADA GO!!!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  20:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, i never really noticed Backes much today at all.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  21:53:24  Reply with Quote
think Kane and Parise both make the team, dropping Bergeron and either Richards or Morrow(remember this is picked before the perforance that Morrow gave us). Kesler, I really like him also, but who do you leave out. We will never find out, as if there was a different format, Canada and US would both have teams. This leads to a great topic, How would you break the world up, into continents? Canada/Us, Europe, Scaninavian Countries, Russia, former Russia, Czechs.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  10:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

I might agree with this in some cases, but not always. Sure, Perry and Getzlaf have stayed together as well as the Shark line, but where has Seabrook been??

At the start of the Olympics I argued about how important chemistry is, but it's easy to forget how quickly the best players in the world can find that chemistry (Willus, in a round about way that is saying you were right!!)

It took about 2 games for Doughty and Keith to click. For that, I would say that Ryan has limited upside and playing only because of linemates is not always the best move.

I don't put Ryan ahead an of the Canadian forwards. And definately not Kessler or Backes. I still think there are better Canadian's that didn't make the team than those guys.

Thanks Beans.
It makes you wonder how things would have turned out with say Bouwmeester there instead of Seabrook. Not that Seabrook played poorly, he just didn't play much at all.
Funny thing about chemistry, when you boil it down it is more about playing your position than anything else.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page