Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 CDN vs SVK Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9684
( )

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  21:16:08  Reply with Quote

Thank goodness for Lu's oversized mitt or it would have been OT and maybe even a shootout.

It looked like Canada backed off in the 3rd period. Bergeron was so excited he got some ice time that he was skating like a chicken with its head cut off. Patty calm down or you'll see even more pine.

I hope Morrow is healthy. I think that knee on knee collision did more damage than he is letting on. That was a pretty dirty play by Morrow though. Without him, Getz and Perry look useless with anyone else. Staal played an ok game, he didn't impress me like he did the last 3.

Doughty looked completely gased in the dying seconds of the 3rd when Demitra almost tied it. Too much ice time or too long a shift?

Boyle and Weber looked to be the best of the canadian defensemen. Keith and Doughty looked shaky at the end especially Doughty. That defence zone coverage really has to play better. The last 10 minutes the defence played terribly and appeared to be complacent.

The first and second period, Canada played to perfection. But I think it was a chess match that the Slovaks played. Control the damage, let your opponent think you are down and then pounce. Perfect strategy. Almost won it too. This is probably the strategy other nations should look at when playing the hockey "superpowers". Make them think you are a possum so they'll leave you be. Then transform into a wolf.

CDN vs USA in the finals. Let's bring home the gold like the ladies.

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  23:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

But I think it was a chess match that the Slovaks played. Control the damage, let your opponent think you are down and then pounce. Perfect strategy. Almost won it too. This is probably the strategy other nations should look at when playing the hockey "superpowers". Make them think you are a possum so they'll leave you be. Then transform into a wolf.

I'm not sure many other teams (considering Slovakia is in the top 7 hockey powers) have the scoring ability to wait until the 3rd period to begin 'transforming in to wolves.'

If the Swiss, Norway, Germans, etc... waited that long while playing possum, odds are they have no chance. They just don't have the firepower to throw a big line out and know that they have a solid chance of scoring.

The Swiss (in my opinion) are the perfect example of a team that play a 'chess like' style of hockey. Every shift is played strategic. Their main goal is to keep the game close, for as long as they can. If they can keep it within one or two (perhaps even three) goals by late in the 2nd period, or beginning of the 3rd. They begin finally opening up, and going for the offensive aspect of the game.

I will agree that Weber looked solid in the game. But, I believe Weber has looked good all tourney long. Boyle has had his weak moments, along with every other Canadian D-man, but he has had some bright moments too.

I'm certainly noticing less and less of Pronger.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  02:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to a good gold medal match tomorrow. It is clear now that the US came into these games underrated. While we don't have either the skill level or depth of team Canada our guys have shown they are not a side to be scoffed at. If you look down the US roster you will notice the names of a few 1st and 2nd round NHL draft choices.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  08:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Handzus and Zednik, I hope I got the names right, look very dangerous last night and Demitra was stellar. I was very impressed by the play of the Slovaks last night. I did pick them as my dark horse underdog, but wow that was a nailbiter. Had they scored in the middle frame on some of those dangerous plays this team could won. Hands up for Bobby Lou. Definitely the right guy in net. If he plays like that come playoffs, Vancouver is gonna be dangerous. Some guys looked gassed in the 3rd, but through 2 periods the Canadian boy looked about as good as they possibly could. Gotta save some for the 3rd period. Doughty in my opinion was the defensman of the game and Morrow was the best forward all night.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  10:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

I am looking forward to a good gold medal match tomorrow. It is clear now that the US came into these games underrated. While we don't have either the skill level or depth of team Canada our guys have shown they are not a side to be scoffed at. If you look down the US roster you will notice the names of a few 1st and 2nd round NHL draft choices.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

umteman..... No one can argue that (in bold)!!! I think what's helping them is what always the debate with Canada. Do you go with lines 3 and 4 full of superstars, or do you bring along solid 3rd and 4th line guys who are used to that role? The US has a good mix of guys who are playing roles and getting the ice time they're used to getting! It prob makes it easier to gell as a team?

Should be a great game tomorrow! I'm off to see a US/Canada gold medal battle right now! Going to the long track team pursuit final which has them both surprisingly in the final. Canada knocked of the 2 seed (Norway) and the US stunned the favorites (Netherlands) to make the final. There's a gold being given out in a couple hours to a team that wasn't expecting it!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0980
( )

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  22:06:57  Reply with Quote
You got to feel bad for Slovakia... I wish they won that bronze.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  22:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0980

You got to feel bad for Slovakia... I wish they won that bronze.

Yeah, as much as i like a lot of the Fins, it would have been sweet to see the Slovak's medal. It would have meant a ton to them. I'm sure they're gonna leave here happy overall but how much sweeter it'd have been for them to take home a bronze?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  08:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still a 4th place finish Their highest every. Still ahead of the Czechs, the Russians, and the Sweds.

I wonder if things would have been different if Gaborik was completely healthy. It was pretty easy to see that he was labouring an injury and was not nearly at 100%. Did he not miss most or all of the 3rd period against the Canadians??

I also don't believe that Halak is an elite goalie. Not comparatively to the other hockey superpowers.

Ultimately, that Slovak team is(was) better than most gave them credit for.

Still the dark horse that I called well before the Games!!

It makes me feel a little bit better for so grossly underestimating the US before the games. Here to hoping I was even just a bit right and Canada take the US down today.

Today, we need to see the Canada team that came out again Russia, not the team who played against Slovakia.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  11:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree all around - the Slovaks were much better than I gave credit for, except for the fact that they didn't have one solid scoring chance halfway through the game.

Unfortunately, from that point on I had to listen to the radio as I was busy taking care of the kid. Joys of parenthood!

I do agree that Halak isn't an elite goalie, but he was playing like one, and it was only the shots he didn't see where Canada scored (I missed Canada's third goal). And Canada was playing very well in the first period and a half.

I really don't see a letdown in the gold medal final like that, especially if Canada only has a one or two goal lead . . . especially against the americans who beat them earlier.

For the Slovaks, despite the run of play in the beginning, I give credit to their two big D-men Chara and Jurcina who played very well, and the forwards were always dangerous despite getting banged around a bit. They did seem to gel as a team far better than many.

They should be proud of their achievement.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page