Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Surprising Coyotes - How far can they go? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  06:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
After an incredible year where the Phoenix Coyotes have performed the unimaginable - an assured play-off berth with 9 games to go - where will the season take them?

Up in the standings with Chicago and currently above San Jose, will the Coyotes actually make any noise like the contenders are expected to, or will they fall back down to earth in the playoffs?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Finish 2nd/4th in the West, make it to the Cup Final
Finish 2nd/4th in the West, get to 2nd/3rd round
Finish 2nd/4th in the West, first round roadkill
Limp into playoffs as a bottom 4 seed, surprise by winning a round
Limp in by finishing bottom 4, and limp right out
Phoenix wins the Stanley Cup (joke option)

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  07:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really can't see them slumping bad enough to drop below the 4th seed at this point as they've got an 8 point lead on LA / Nashville although LA with 2 games in hand could cut that lead in half? Still don't see that happening.

I picked them to go to the second round where i think they'll be bumped out of the playoffs. It looks as though they'll face either LA or Nashville in round one and to be honest, that'd be as close to a coin flip as i can imagine. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying they'll take that series due to home ice advantage. It'll be interesting to see how many fans show up for their playoff games at home!
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  08:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give them to the 2nd round. I really don't want to see Pheonix in the Western Conference Final against my Hawks. We havn't beaten them yet this year.

Here's hoping that all changes tonight!

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  09:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it probably is very unlikely for them to slip below the fourth seed, so I think it's somewhat safe to say that they'll get home ice advantage.

Still, the first round match-ups are potentially:
LA - a young, very talented team with little playoff experience among the key cogs
Nashville - an experienced team which wins a lot of close games
Colorado - another surprise team, very young and inexperienced but definitely for real
Detroit - well, we all know Detroit - aging, but very dangerous and very experienced

outside chance: Calgary, but odds are so slim for this as Calgary would have to squeak in 8th, where Phoenix wouldn't likely play them

Other than Detroit, not one team really jumps out at you in the bottom four that might pose a real test for Phoenix, however, one cannot forget that this would be the first playoff game in many, many years for the franchise. The last time that happened to a team - Atlanta - it ended in 4 very quick games and they left embarrassed. The reason things like that happen to relatively good teams is pressure, emotion, and the plain old fact that they are just elated to be there. Yes, I know Phoenix is now considered a "top team" . . . but the reality is, it will be very easy for Phoenix to fail in the first round, given that it is already a cinderella story, and hardly anyone is playoff tested.

I say it's a first round loss, although a respectable one, to either LA, Colorado or Nashville.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  10:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
depending on who they face in the first round, they could easily be roadkill. A team like that is young and inexperienced, and has very little playoff experience of note - so nerves will be high. PHX chances will hinge on Bryzgalov success or failure with the added pressure.

Assuming they finish in the top 4, the first round matchup they want to avoid (hell, everyone in the west should want to avoid) is Detroit. Detroit is only in the lower half of the conference due to a series of very long term injuries to key players for much of the season (similar to Edmonton woes, but not as catastropic thanks to their depth), but they are now healthy and playing like a team that should have finished in the top of the conference. They will be a force come playoff time.

Any other matchup is a crapshoot - 2 inexperienced teams going head to head.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  12:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Logically, the will finish either 1st, 2nd, or 4th. If that is the case, they will play against Colorado, Los Angeles, or Nashville.

I would put them as a favorite against none of those teams. Nashville is easily the best coached team in the league and has one of the most stable and consistant defensive groups around. They are hard to beat.

Colorado and LA are very similar, young, fast, skilled, fun to watch. However, LA has a gap in the goal comparatively speaking.

If Phoenic plays LA, I say Phoenix wins. If they play Nashville or Colorado, flip a coin. At the least it will be great hockey to watch.

However, if they make it through the 1st round, look out! Especially if they finish 4th. They would play one of the big 3 in the 2nd round and I think all 3 (Van, SJ, CHI) have gaps in their teams that make them vulnerable.

The Cup is heading East again this season.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  13:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phoenix could lose pretty quick in the first round due to lack of experience (see Columbus or Atlanta) or they can keep surprising everybody and win it all. Because they play like they have nothing to lose and they play with no pressure. Just having fun and learning experience.

I voted for 2nd or third round because like many said there's other unexperienced team in the west. And if a team can upset the contenders (Chicago, San Jose, Vancouver, Detroit) I believe it's them.

The only thing is that they are red hot right now and there's no other way but down after a hot streak like that.

Teams like New Jersey, Pittsburgh or San Jose could hit the hot streak right on time.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  14:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard on the radio today that Phoenix is 12-4 in shootouts? Man, that's a lot of games that would be potential OT thrillers. Many of these could be losses in the playoffs but it's a coin flip and the shootout isn't gonna help them then! It does say something about them playing in close games i guess!
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  18:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stunningly second in te West presently and I expect that is where they will finish. Most likely to face either Colorado or Detroit in the first round..and go home. However the Coyotes have been very competitive with L.A. through the season so might advance if that were to bo their first round matchup.

Now while I am here there is something I have wondered about. Here in the U.S. loyalties are determined primarily by geography. I am something of an exception as I live in Southeast Pennsylvania and am a Penguins rather than Flyers fan. I have seen several of our Canadian members sporting the logos of teams hunderds or even a thousand or more miles from home, eg., Blackhawks, Stars. Is this due to a player you followed through junior hockey all the way to the NHL, or maybe Bobby Hull was a chilhood idol so you have been a 'Hawks fan ever since?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  18:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umetman, good question.

As a child, I was not much of a hockey fan at all. Until I seen Ray Bourque play... been a fan ever since.

With that being said, I never really had a favorite team, just a favorite player. I guess you could say I was a fan of Boston, then Colorado. Although I only wanted both teams to win, to see Bourque win a cup. Which he ultimately did!

I grew up in a house of Canadiens fans, though I never followed suite.

Once Bourque retired, I searched for my favorite team. And I found it. A newer team, somewhat close to home, no cups, local tv coverage, etc...

Thus, a Senators fan was born. A fresh start! ;)

I am from New Brunswick, Canada. So we do not have any 'local' teams, thus most here are Canadiens or Leafs fans, some Bruins. I became a Sens fan.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  20:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see them 4th in the west understandable 5th is the lowest they can go; yet with Stempniak and Wolski being their best players, and being new on the team i don't see that lucky butt team making it past the first round...
CANUCKS FOR THE CUP
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  22:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Coyotes seem be a very well rounded team, and the additions of Wolski, Stempniak, etc... have done nothing but solidify their roster.

They have a great mix of youth and elders, with leadership. They have a good defensive core, although aging. Young, talented forwards with some older guys for depth and experience.

A good mix of scorers and playmakers up front, and a goaltender who is on fire in Ilya Bryzgalov who is entering his prime.

This team is legit. A Cup contender? Not this season, I don't believe. But they could make the second round, with an exit from there.

But the Coyotes will get some much needed playoff experience for their young players. If they do things correct in the off season, while keeping their young core in tact and add a pieces to the puzzle...

We could see a legit contender next season.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  22:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still can't figure out this team! To be in the playoffs even as an 8th seed would be considered a huge success by me, but being in the running for not only their division, but the conference? Huh? Is this really happening?

Their leading scorer sits in a tie for 63rd in the league with just 52 points and they're in this position? Can this team really compete with the offensive teams like Chi/SJ and Van?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  05:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, Alex116 - it is puzzling. It's a team built on tough defence and great goaltending, with a bunch of second liners.

Doan leads the team with 17g, 35a, 52 pts, and might be the only player considered to be a first-liner - barely. You then have a bunch of what I would call "misfits": Lombardi, Vrbata, Stempniak, young Wolski, Upshall, Yandle, Hanzal, the enigmatic Prucha . . . and the injured Robert Lang.

Very, very weird to have a line-up like that in the top four of the West conference . . . very strange indeed.

When the playoffs come around and defences get tighter and scoring becomes more difficult (and when the shootout doesn't happen!), will the Coyotes have the firepower to get the 2 or 3 goals they need to win? I really doubt it.

Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  12:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far the Coyotes are matched up against the Red Wings for the playoffs. They split this season with Phoenix winning both their games in overtime. We've seen the Wings bow out early before but this is going to be an extremely tough series for the Coyotes if it stays status quo. The way it looks right now, correct me if I'm wrong, only the Kings could take the Wings spot in 5th and that would mean the Wings would have to lose their next 2 games and the Kings would have to win 2 of their 3 remaining games. Or can the Preds move up too? Either way I am sure the Coyotes would prefer to play the Kings or Preds over the Wings any day.

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page