Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Paul Ranger, TB Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9291
( )

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  15:17:28  Reply with Quote
random question of the week,
Anybody on this forum, know what happened?
what the personal reasons were for missing the entire season?

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  15:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, i knew he had missed the majority of the season, but i just assumed he was injured. I wasn't aware until you posted this that his absence was for personal reasons. Not sure, but it does seem odd for him to leave the team way back in October & not rejoin them.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  15:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9291

random question of the week,
Anybody on this forum, know what happened?
what the personal reasons were for missing the entire season?

From WIki "Since late October 2009, Ranger has been on personal leave. He has declined any interviews, and hasn't spoken with his coaches or family since"
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  20:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  02:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by ryan93[/i]
[br]Strange.

Drugs or alcohol? There was some mention on one site that I found that said he may not play hockey anymore. It also said that Ranger refused payment of his contract from the Bolts. Meaning that he collected no salary after he left the team.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  11:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steroids would be the best answer, if he doesn't show up for a whole season it means the team and him didn't get along but as soon as you read he didn't take the salary that is almost countered out. I think he will be back next year
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  11:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although i personally find it nearly impossible to believe they don't know what's going on, if youb believe what you read in the media, Tampa Bay management/coaches/players don't even know why he left the team.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  12:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was at the rink a couple of times in the past few weeks. Picking up some tax information apparently.

Steriods?? Are you kidding????

Some guys just lose the desire. Some guys just don't want to play anymore. Wasn't there a CBJ 2st round draft pick just a couple of years ago that just quit before even starting his career?? Stefan Legein(stand out junior career, play for the Candian Juniors) just said he was retiring at 19.

Just because they are hockey players and they have gifts many of us wish we had does not make them any different than you or I. People, all of the world, everyday make the choice to quit what they are doing and try something new.

Why are hockey players any different??

At least Ranger had the stones to not take paychecks while he was away.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4470
( )

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  11:23:38  Reply with Quote
Somebody brought up his name, so I looked him up on Google and found nothing about why he isn't playing. I live in Whitby (Paul's hometown) so I talked to some people who I thought could be "in the know".

Here's what I've got:

Paul took the leave shortly after his high school sweetheart broke up with him. She is a career-driven woman, who wanted no part of being a 'hockey wife'. She is working east of Toronto and felt that the strain of being apart was too much (they tried the long-distance thing ever since he turned pro and left the Oshawa Generals - 2 or 3 years).

This crushed Paul. He decided to leave the Lightning and return to Whitby to try to win her back. He has been unsuccessful with this so far and has enrolled at a university in Ontario.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  12:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wasn't he injured for almost all of the 2009 2010 season, maybe he just doesn't feel 100% and decided his health is more important to him?

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  15:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting forum
Go to Top of Page

Guest4470
( )

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:49:45  Reply with Quote
No, he's fully healthy. And he hasn't grown completely sick of the game because he's been playing some pickup hockey in Whitby with friends. He just kind of broke down over the girl.

This actually reminds me of a baseball story. There was a guy from Kitchener, Ontario who had a full D1 scholarship to one of the schools in Texas. He went there for a year, and hated it. He was homesick. He was talked into playing for Canada at the Olympics one time, but even that wound up being too much for him, so he never played at the national level again.

I can't remember the guy's name right now, but he went on to be one of the greatest players in the Inter-County League (semi-pro in Ontario) for Kitchener. He played very successfully in the league until his late 30's. To this day, he works as a sanitation worker for the city of Kitchener and lives in his mother's basement.

He just couldn't deal with leaving home for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  05:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4470

No, he's fully healthy. And he hasn't grown completely sick of the game because he's been playing some pickup hockey in Whitby with friends. He just kind of broke down over the girl.

This actually reminds me of a baseball story. There was a guy from Kitchener, Ontario who had a full D1 scholarship to one of the schools in Texas. He went there for a year, and hated it. He was homesick. He was talked into playing for Canada at the Olympics one time, but even that wound up being too much for him, so he never played at the national level again.

I can't remember the guy's name right now, but he went on to be one of the greatest players in the Inter-County League (semi-pro in Ontario) for Kitchener. He played very successfully in the league until his late 30's. To this day, he works as a sanitation worker for the city of Kitchener and lives in his mother's basement.

He just couldn't deal with leaving home for some reason.

Holy crap, I have totally heard of that story, and I think back in the day (I lived in Ktown for a while in highschool) I was even at some bush party and he was there or something, someone mentioned it . . . never knew the guy, but heard the story.

Yeah, sometimes it happens like you said guys - no passion, not feeling it anymore, not enough drive for all the hard hours of training, a girl . . . but, what must be remembered, is this: that is often a cover story for an issue the player or management don't want public.

We'll probably never really know.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4921
( )

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  18:00:24  Reply with Quote
The Kitchener baseball player's name is Randy Curran.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  05:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like he's back and the Marlies picked him up, good to see he is a solid defender hopfully if the lock out ends and NHL club will scoop him up,

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  08:34:03  Reply with Quote
And it looks like Stefan Legein's "retirement" from hockey was short-lived. He's played in the AHL the past two seasons (Manchester Monarchs), and he's now in his third year with the team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  09:01:19  Reply with Quote
Correction – Legein is in his second year with the Monarchs.

I can't believe this caught my interest, or if it's even remotely interesting to anyone? :)

If there were no lockout, I suspect there would be other hockey matters to chat about! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page