Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2010-2011 Dark Horses Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  00:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the 2010-2011 season ever so slowly approaching, my thoughts are already drifting towards fantasy drafts and hockey pools. Who are some of your unexpected impact players and underachievers for the upcoming year?

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  01:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guy Lattendresse comes to mind, scoring 40 points in 78 games, but most of them, as everyone knows, were scored in the latter half of the season after he was traded to the Wild. I think with a full season there on the top line he should be good for 60-70 points. So he could be a good late round pick.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  07:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it is early, but some guys have been signed already that we can look at.

In the off season for fantasy drafts, I always look for the mid round and late round gems that will win you the pool, and the first place I look is bad teams getting better. Edmonton, Toronto, Florida, are all looking to improve on last year's poor showing, and some former second and third liners may be getting more ice time and more offensive space, depending on where they settle. I'll only mention guys who I think will improve a lot on last year's totals, btw.

Toronto
-----------
Versteeg - if his 'sophomore slump' is 44 points after getting 53 the previous year, all while playing on one of the deepest offensive teams, look for a big jump potentially as he moves up the ladder in Toronto. He will be given every opportunity by the Leafs to make the top line, and the second line at the very least can still get him over 55 points. If he clicks on the top line with Kessel, 70 points is possible . . . the kid has skill. Myself, I am predicting a 20 point jump.

Bozak - for any of you NOT in Toronto drafting players, this is an excellent, off the radar pick. He will get all the chances he can handle playing top line, second line minutes, and he got 27 points in 37 games last year, looking very good in short stretches. 50 points at least, even 60 is possible, and he will score you at least 20 goals.

Phaneuf - pressure or not, his numbers should return to the 50-60 range with the assured departure of Kaberle. Incredibly, on the second worst team last year, in 26 games he was only a -2, and if Toronto greatly improves like they should, he should be a safe pick to end up as a + player as well. Outside of Toronto, a great mid round pick-up.

Edmonton
--------------

Hemsky - injury shortened season may keep him off some people's radar, and he could be gotten in the mid rounds if you're not in Edmonton, lol. He seems healthy now, and with potentially better linemates playing top minutes, as long as plays over 70 games, he should be close to a point a game player. Maybe he even scores 20 goals for the second time? Do note, however, that Renney likes to play a defensive system, but the defence looks weak this year, so they may have to play run and gun anyways.

Paajarvi-Svensson - you don't have to spell his name correctly, just know that he will be in the running for the Calder. On bad - middling teams, talented young scorers like this guy will get lots of chances and big minutes . . . as long as they look even half decent coming out of camp. 45, 50 points is not unreasonable here, IF he makes the top line. It's a big IF, but if gambling, remember that he should get at least 35 on the low end.

Florida
----------------

Chris Higgins - this is a big gamble, but one that could really pay off. He will be on a team that may be destined for last place, and will get all the minutes he can handle. Can he return to the promise he showed in Montreal? I think so, especially since he'll likely have the best shot at the second line LW position. A return to 50 point form may not be out of the question, and he'd be a very late round gamble at any rate.

Booth - injury last year (remember that hit?), then a second concussion later in the season . . . but he looks to be ok now, and a return to 60 points playing top line minutes is expected . . . as long as he keeps his head up. Again, he may have slipped off some people's radar or they may be leery of him getting a career ending concussion, so you could grab him late in the middle rounds and make out like a bandit.

Bernier - Florida picked him up in the off season, and he may get a chance at a greater role than just big checker. He has some skill, and could get a chance on a scoring line with injuries . . . or prospect failures. Could he ever get 20 goals or 40 points? He'll never have a better chance than this team here, where every spot after the first line is up for grabs. A very late round gamble in a deep draft.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  09:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a bit early to be thinking about hockey pool picks, but in general I'm with Slozo - the things that allow you to rise to the top as the year goes on are the middle-round and late-round picks. I look for bounceback, but also look for players coming back from injuries.

So many poolies rank their players based on total points from last year, they miss the guys that played 10 games and got 15 points, and are now healthy. I made a killing last year with Briere, in 2 of my pools I picked him up in the final round.

This year, Hemsky will be on my radar as one of the injuries, plus with the team that EDM is looking to have ready next year he should do well. I haven't looked too closely at the rest yet, that will be August.

Slozo - do you really think that Phaneuf will be a mid-round draft pick in any hockey pool? I'd be surprised if he wasn't one of the first 5 dmen picked - undisputed #1, lions share of PP time, bounceback year.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear what you are saying about Phaneuf, but outside of Toronto drafts (where Leaf players always go quickly and early), a lot of people have their doubts about Phaneuf. And the most important thing is, in any draft, outside of the absolute top d-men of the day (for argument's sake right now, I'd say Lidstrom, Chara, Doughty, Keith, Green, Weber, Boyle), defence for most drafts only start getting picked 6th round and lower. That's just the way the points go, if you are smart about it.

Will anyone pick Phaneuf before the guys I mentioned? Probably not. And after those d-men are picked, and all the top forwards and goalies are picked, what round will you be in?

I would argue that for most drafts of 15 people or more, you're in the 8th, 9th round at least. So, I still say middle rounds . . . but maybe high middle for the bigger pools (more people).

And don't you think Kaberle, after he is traded, will actually be among the top group that I mentioned? If he gets sent to a solid club with good offense, people will be all over him I think, and people might have forgotten about who his replacement is in Toronto.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  11:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, good point Slozo, there are quite a few top-tier dmen capable of the big points now.

It depends how you value special teams points in your pools as well - all of mine put a premium on dmen points, and a further premium on PPG and SHG. So quality dmen tend to go in the early rounds - someone like Green might be worth as many fantasy points as Malkin or Marleau.

Yeah, I'd take Boyle, Weber, Green, Keith, and Doughty before Phaneuf. I would be on the fence with Chara - with the exception of last year they have been similar stats-wise, and I think Phaneuf has more upside than Chara. I would not put Lidstrom in that top tier anymore.

Depending on where Kaberle goes, I might add him to that top group as well. Especially in a contract year

Edited by - nuxfan on 07/15/2010 11:16:07
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  18:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sometimes go a little earlier with picking my #1 D-man, in honesty.

Mainly because I know even later round forwards can get me 40-60Pts.

But, d-man aren't. So i'll take a guy like Green (if points are high in the pool for d-men), in the 5th round. Who I know will get me 50+ pts (even up to 75), and then draft a forward in the 6th. More forwards producing that range than D, always remember that.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  21:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup. My first 2 rounds are normally my #1 goalie and #1 dman. Over the last few years, forwards have been pretty evenly matched after the first 10 or 15.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  10:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna admittedly answer this with my Blue tinted glasses on.

As far as dark horses go I think Tyler Bozak has a really good chance of putting up 50-70 pts. If via a Kaberle deal Burke can bring in a legitimate #1 LW (Ryan Clowe, James Neal, Simon Gagne, Pratrick Sharp all rumoured) then I think paired with Kessel on the RW Bozak is capable of puting up strong offensive #'s. He showed post Olympics last year than he has the capacity to be a top 2 centre for the Leafs so with the right cast I have high hopes for him.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  07:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But we're talking dark horses here, Tiller . . . and without the Leafs getting another center (which is entirely possible), we could have Bozak #1 and Kadri #2 . . . this automatically inflates whatever totals they would have gotten toiling on the third line on a real contender.

I bet you most hockey pool predictors/magazines put Bozak at around 51 - 56 points if he plays first line (no top line center acquired), and 46 - 52 points if he ends up as the Leafs second line centre.

I think a "dark horse" would be above those expectations . . . any player of decent quality on the top line should be getting more than 50 points.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  07:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But we're talking dark horses here, Tiller . . . and without the Leafs getting another center (which is entirely possible), we could have Bozak #1 and Kadri #2 . . . this automatically inflates whatever totals they would have gotten toiling on the third line on a real contender.

I bet you most hockey pool predictors/magazines put Bozak at around 51 - 56 points if he plays first line (no top line center acquired), and 46 - 52 points if he ends up as the Leafs second line centre.

I think a "dark horse" would be above those expectations . . . any player of decent quality on the top line should be getting more than 50 points.

Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  14:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of my predicted "Dark Horses" for 2010-2011.

Jamie McBain - D - Carolina Hurricanes.

McBain played just 14 games for the Hurricanes last season. Posting 0 PIM, 3G, 7A for 10 PTS. I think this kid will produce from the backend in Carolina next year. He'll get plenty of ice time, if he proves he can be affective.

-

Ville Leino - LW - Philadelphia Flyers.

Leino to me, could be a break out player next year. But it all depends on the direction the Flyers take. Leino may not even begin with a roster spot. Depending on a few factors.

If he does, which I believe he should. He'll be playing the 3rd line. But, he'll be playing with talent that most 3rd lines do not have. I suspect he can produce 45-50 pts next year. Especially, if an injury occurs giving him the chance to slide up the depth chart. 2nd line minutes.

-

Kyle Okposo - RW - NYI

I'm liking Okposo for next year. He's another year older and stronger, and so is projected line mate, John Tavares.

Now that Tavares has a year under his belt, Tavares may pull a Stamkos. And if he does, Okposo production will benefit from it substantially. I'm going out on a limb here... 60-65 PTS for Okposo.

--

I'll add more when I have time to look at things. I just picked these three, as they came to mind. I'm forgetting others that I feel will do well.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  15:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some from Ottawa.
Peter Regin
He will likely start the year on the top line with Alfie and Spezza and that means he should rack up the points.

Alex Kovalev
He had a dissapointing year last season but his power play production should increase playing with Gonchar.

Erik Karlsson
He is one year older and had a great finish to last season and He will probably play with Gonchar on the power play.

A

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  18:51:28  Reply with Quote
Florida - Grabner, showed he has good speed and has the offensive ability to put up decent numbers if hes given a chance which he should be given at least at the start of the season in Florida

Dallas - Benn, finished 5th in rookie scoring but hes a big body who should be a top 6 forward this year in dallas.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  19:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really haven't looked too deeply but I see a couple of guys flying under a lot of people's radar that will get chances at big minutes based on the teams they play for.

For a couple of 2nd year guys that have not been mentioned yet, I like Artim Anisimov(NYR) and Evander Kane (ATL) for top 6 minutes on weaker teams. Might as well throw in Robbie Schremp in there as well.

My big sleeper pick this year is Brandon Sutter in Carolina. He's coming into this 3rd NHL season and had a nice 40 point season last year in just 16 minutes a game. With Matt Cullen gone, Sutter will comfortably take the #2 centre spot behind Staal and ahead of Ruutu. I can see him crack 60 points. He's got mad speed and nice hands. Those are 2 statements you can't often say in the same sentence as "Sutter."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page