Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Trivia & Other Games
 The History of 50 Goal Scorers Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  11:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this belongs in the Trivia Section, but orginally I was inspired to make a bet with Pasty on this site on whether or not Jerome Iginla could score 36 goals next season. I warned him that I had seen a chart that had really changed my thinking on the matter of former 50 goal scorers and their scoring prowess after the age of 30 . . .

Here is the chart:
http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2010/7/17/1574164/the-history-of-50-goal-scorers

Anyone else as surprised as I am about the overall severity of the trend?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  21:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, serious, wow.

I never would have guessed that all these guys with such scoing prowess drop by 30+% after the age of 30!! I would have thought there would have been far more 40ish goal guys up until the 33-35 range but there are not many at all.

I dunno, I must side with Slozo on this bet. The odds are actually against Iginla based on these crazy numbers.

However, 42% of stats are completely irrelevant.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  06:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah and I mean we are not just talking about anybody. Most of these player are or were some of the best to ever play the game.I have always compared Iginla to Shanahan as players and Shannny had back to back 40 goals season while pushing 40,,, (37 i believe) IGGY WILL COME THROOUGH!! (imagin if i lose this bet and the habs play the leafs at some point during the playoffs or vise versa)

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  08:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, your consolation after reading this chart, Pasty, is that Iginla did get his second 50 goal season after 30, so, no one is saying it isn't possible that Iggy scores 40 maybe in one of the seasons to come. Maybe he has a 3, 4 year window for that.

But I don't see it this year.
Not playing with Stajan, who showed very mediocre chemistry last year with Iginla. Sorry - terrible chemistry, actually. Not sure if Iginla even scored more than three goals assisted by Stajan not on the power play.

On top of that, Iginla showed a troubling trend . . . at the end of the year, with no sign of any real nagging injury, and with his team pushing for a playoff berth, he scored 1 goal in his last 16 games, and didn't score a goal in is last 11 games. Yeah, the whole team played poorly . . . but whether it was a poor system, coaching, or just Iginla having no good talent to play with, he couldn't buy a goal.

He looked tired, to me. And that's age.

Anyways, those are my additional thoughts on why I took the bet in the first place . . . as a betting man, I always do my due diligence and research before laying it on the line.

You better hope Langkow regains form from a few years ago, otherwise, it just ain't gonna happen!

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  08:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well, your consolation after reading this chart, Pasty, is that Iginla did get his second 50 goal season after 30, so, no one is saying it isn't possible that Iggy scores 40 maybe in one of the seasons to come. Maybe he has a 3, 4 year window for that.

But I don't see it this year.
Not playing with Stajan, who showed very mediocre chemistry last year with Iginla. Sorry - terrible chemistry, actually. Not sure if Iginla even scored more than three goals assisted by Stajan not on the power play.

On top of that, Iginla showed a troubling trend . . . at the end of the year, with no sign of any real nagging injury, and with his team pushing for a playoff berth, he scored 1 goal in his last 16 games, and didn't score a goal in is last 11 games. Yeah, the whole team played poorly . . . but whether it was a poor system, coaching, or just Iginla having no good talent to play with, he couldn't buy a goal.

He looked tired, to me. And that's age.

Anyways, those are my additional thoughts on why I took the bet in the first place . . . as a betting man, I always do my due diligence and research before laying it on the line.

You better hope Langkow regains form from a few years ago, otherwise, it just ain't gonna happen!

My hope is Tanguay regains the chemisrty they had when Tanguay scored his 81 point season, Tanguay is a pass first player which is my hope that he passes first to Iginla effectivly and in a large quantity!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  12:46:17  Reply with Quote
Yes, wow – very interesting info and chart!

One surprise on the chart was to see Johnny Bucyk as the oldest player (at 35 years of age) to score 50 goals in a season!

Gordie Howe is the oldest player to have tallied 100 points in a season, which he did at 41 years of age. (1968-69 season) Joe Sakic is the second oldest player to tally 100 points in a season, which he did in 2006-07.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  18:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest - yeah, but I expected to see an older generation player scoring 50 at the oldest age . . . but like you, I didn't think it was Bucyk. I would have guessed Bobby Hull or Esposito or even Bondra (thought he was older when he got his last one).

You bring up Sakic though, and in that era especially - not the dead-puck era, but still a time when scoring was harder to come by - I think his accomplishment, at his age, is just an amazing thing.

Marcel Dionne also impressed me, looking at this list . . . he had the most over 40 goal seasons behind #99, tied with #88 at 10. It's a big number.

Makes me wonder . . . can Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or even Crosby eventually rival that kind of production? Hard to say at this point.

Go to Top of Page

Yewcandoit
Rookie

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  19:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great article.

Nice find!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic