Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - The Cream of the Northwest Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  19:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which Northwest division team will take the top spot by the end of the 2007 regular season?

Choices:

Calgary
Minnesota
Colorado
Edmonton
Vancouver

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  20:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hate to say this but Calgary
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  20:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nucks man
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  01:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flames just picked up conroy. He got two goals tonite so they are pretty deep team now. tanguay iginla conroy langkow kipper phanuf hamrlik amonte huselius lombardi and regehr. now the flames will kick ass!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way the Canucks are taking it!!

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0623
( )

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  08:46:48  Reply with Quote
I'm a Canucks fan but i gotta say Flames. Once Iginla is back they're gonna start winning more.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4099
( )

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:28:49  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blade

Flames just picked up conroy. He got two goals tonite so they are pretty deep team now. tanguay iginla conroy langkow kipper phanuf hamrlik amonte huselius lombardi and regehr. now the flames will kick ass!

Deep? you crazy? Calgary is a decent team because they have good goaltending, decent defence, and play well as a team. They still have the same problems up front that they have had for years... lack of skill. Yeah, they at least have hope these days with a few of their younger guys showing some skill, but the jury is still out on them. Currently they
arent a talented team, but play a good system and can compete and
do well within that system... They are not a bad team, it just
boggles my mind when fans are blinded by their teams' skill level.

Don't ever compare Calgary to a true skilled team.. a la Ottawa, Buffalo,
Tampa, NYR, Anaheim, Nashville, .... Heck, MOST (almost all) of the
teams in the NHL are more skilled than Calgary.. But that doesnt make
them better teams...

Go to Top of Page

Guest8436
( )

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:49:57  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4099

quote:
Originally posted by blade

Deep? you crazy? Calgary is a decent team because they have good goaltending, decent defence, and play well as a team. They still have the same problems up front that they have had for years... lack of skill. Yeah, they at least have hope these days with a few of their younger guys showing some skill, but the jury is still out on them. Currently they
arent a talented team, but play a good system and can compete and
do well within that system... They are not a bad team, it just
boggles my mind when fans are blinded by their teams' skill level.

Don't ever compare Calgary to a true skilled team.. a la Ottawa, Buffalo,
Tampa, NYR, Anaheim, Nashville, .... Heck, MOST (almost all) of the
teams in the NHL are more skilled than Calgary.. But that doesnt make
them better teams...

Don't watch much Flames hockey this year, hey? That's alright.

The flames problem right now is that they don't keep the puck out of their own net as well as they used to, but the offence has jumped significantly. The Flames currently sit in 8th overall in gals-per-game-average. Ahead of Tampa, ahead of the Rangers.... even ahead of the vaunted (at the begining of the season) Oilers forward group. Take a look at the Flames stats for the season. They DO have a fair amount of skill now, certainly more than league average.

Iginla
Huselius
Tanguay
Langkow
Lombardi
Conroy

Not the most skilled top 6 in the league but certainly above league average.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  10:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calgary is an OK team, there's not much more to it. Conroy will not be their saviour. Oh boy oh boy, he scored two goals against LA, that must have been real hard.

Minnesota all the way.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  10:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Northwest at the end of the year will be:
1st-Calgary
2nd-Vancouver
3rd-Edmonton
4th-Minnesota
5th-Colorado

Edmonton plays Minnesota 5 more times this year. Those games will determine who is 3rd and 4th and who will ultimately go to the playoffs. Y'all know I am an Edmonton fan, so it is more with heart than head. Looking at the fact that Edmonton has been really bad against NW teams this year and have 12 more games in the division, as well as a 7 game road trip that takes them through Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, Columbus, Detroit, and Minnesota. I need to be honest and say I am not very confident of getting in. I still have faith, but they are going to have to go on one hell of a streak. I think Cal and Van will be 1st and 2nd.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it's Minnesota
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  13:06:14  Reply with Quote
people seem to forget it takes skill to play defense in this league too...skill is not just offensive ability.

Calgary IS a skilled team because they have both. So saying they are not a skilled team but they play good defensively and have a strong defense is contradicting.

By the by the standings will be...

1. Calgary - best well rounded team with a goalie
2. Vancouver - has a goalie but only one line of offense and no defense
3. Minnesota - Has great offensive ability, but plays the game in defense mode which will win them games
4. Edmonton - will get by on grit but their defense sucks and their goalie is showing cracks
5. Colorado - Still can put pucks in the net, but their defense is full of offensive minded guys. They need a stay at home d-man. Neither Budaj or Theodore will solve any of their problems in net.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  15:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flames are looking ok right now. This seems like the tightest division, and it will go down to the wire.

( The teams after Calgary, who are in 3rd, go 7th,8th,9th and 10th.)

~You play to win the Game~ Herm Edwards
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  16:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a forward line to be reckoned with:

Tanguay Iginla Conroy

I think the Flames will pick it up big time.

Go Preds Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest1444
( )

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  21:25:19  Reply with Quote
It will end up a close race right down to the last games between calgary and vancouver for the division title.( thats if vancouver can keep playing like they are now for a while). But all in all Calgary will probably pull away with the division, which doesnt hurt my feelings!! GO FLAMES!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5639
( )

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  22:28:14  Reply with Quote
If anyone honestly thinks calagary is not the best team they have to be stupid...calgary had one of the slowest starts and are missing thier best player in the nhl not to mentions been unlucky with injuries all year and still are number one in the northwest. Best goalie, best defence, and alot better offence this year....cups comming home
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  15:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5639

...are number one in the northwest...

That doesn't make them Cup front-runners, that makes them hover around "Good".
Go to Top of Page

Guest0133
( )

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  17:11:58  Reply with Quote
Canucks all the way. They have been in a little down since the all star break, but they are going to pick it up. WINNING STREAK!!! For the rest of the season!!!! Go Luongo Go!!!!

Guest 0180 (my first guest number, im keepin it).
Go to Top of Page

Guest4040
( )

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  18:22:45  Reply with Quote
CANUCKS because they are COOOOL
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  18:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Calgary is an OK team, there's not much more to it. Conroy will not be their saviour. Oh boy oh boy, he scored two goals against LA, that must have been real hard. Minnesota all the way.

I don't think they were looking for a "saviour" babs. They don't need saving. They were climbing the conference ladder just fine without him. They were simply looking for some more depth. Conroy was a good fit due to his experience and past chemistry with them. The kings were shopping him around and the price was right. I think it was a good move. Could they improve? Yup. Will they make another move before playoffs? I'm doubtful.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  19:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was just saying that because some Calgary fans think that their team's woes are over now because Conroy arrived.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  21:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya, I hear ya. I think there is a good feeling because they were winning without Iginla and he is coming back tomorrow. Now the addition of Conroy gives us another Langkow calibre player which can't be a bad thing. I think the last thing the Flames fans remember was his playoff run in 04 where he had 17 points and was +12.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  01:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think leigh took caling Conroy a Langkow caliber player a little to far, conroy is having a terrible year, i no he scored 2 whole goals in one game OMG give him a reward I think the last time someone scored to goals before in that wasnt a great player was probably the night before, any player on any given night can score a couple

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  10:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

I think leigh took caling Conroy a Langkow caliber player a little to far, conroy is having a terrible year, i no he scored 2 whole goals in one game OMG give him a reward I think the last time someone scored to goals before in that wasnt a great player was probably the night before, any player on any given night can score a couple

CANUCKS RULE!!

hey C-man. Yes you're right, he is having an off year but in his defense he was playing for the Kings so that should be explanation enough. They have already conceded that they won't be making the playoffs and there is 30 games left in the schedule.

What I meant was that they are both a 50 to 60 point centermen. Check their career stats at NHL.com.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  11:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is Minnesota will take it, but i don't think they will take it by a lot though.

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest2316
( )

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  11:16:05  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9537

people seem to forget it takes skill to play defense in this league too...skill is not just offensive ability.

Calgary IS a skilled team because they have both. So saying they are not a skilled team but they play good defensively and have a strong defense is contradicting.

By the by the standings will be...

1. Calgary - best well rounded team with a goalie
2. Vancouver - has a goalie but only one line of offense and no defense
3. Minnesota - Has great offensive ability, but plays the game in defense mode which will win them games
4. Edmonton - will get by on grit but their defense sucks and their goalie is showing cracks
5. Colorado - Still can put pucks in the net, but their defense is full of offensive minded guys. They need a stay at home d-man. Neither Budaj or Theodore will solve any of their problems in net.

lol, if Vancouver has no defense, then tell me why Vancouver has the #1 Penalty Kill in the league? Luongo of course, and you can't be number 1 without a solid backend.

Mitchell, Salo, Ohlund, Bieksa are the 4 core guys of that backend, they play a pretty tough defensive game, also seeing that Vigneault's whole system is about defense first.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vancouver has the 6th lowest goals against per game and the best PK so I agree their defense in not an issue. However, they are 26th in goals for/game. They win a lot on one goal games. That can jump up and bite a team really quick. Looking at last night’s game, they really didn't out play Edmonton. Luongo was his usually amazing self and my two favorite players in the world (Bergeron and Torres) teamed up to make really stupid plays and gave the Canucks 2 goals.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2316

lol, if Vancouver has no defense, then tell me why Vancouver has the #1 Penalty Kill in the league? Luongo of course, and you can't be number 1 without a solid backend.

Mitchell, Salo, Ohlund, Bieksa are the 4 core guys of that backend, they play a pretty tough defensive game, also seeing that Vigneault's whole system is about defense first.

I couldnt agree more guest2316 how do ppl say Vancouver has bad defence with those stats above. Have you herd of the Sportsnet anaylist Mike Brophy, one game sportsnet had him on in the intermission and he said the canucks cant take penaltys because they have a terrble PK so I guess the rest of the leugue has a completly horrible getts scored on every time PK because the canucks are #1 and were #1 when he said that.

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  19:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seen as this topic restarted, allow me to re-post something I said on Dec.3/06 about who I thought would win the Northwest:

quote:
Minnesota. Once Gaborik and Demitra come back it's game over.

They're 24-6-5 since Gaborik's return and are currently on a 9-game winning streak.

Told ya so.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/26/2007 19:26:47
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  19:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Seen as this topic restarted, allow me to re-post something I said on Dec.3/06 about who I thought would win the Northwest:

quote:
Minnesota. Once Gaborik and Demitra come back it's game over.

They're 24-6-5 since Gaborik's return and are currently on a 9-game winning streak.

Told ya so.

But you still forgot about the Canucks back then. ;) (so did we all)

It's going to be a tough battle, and certainly no game is 'over' yet. I think Minny has a fabulous team and Lemaire is a genius, but it will still be tough between the Wild and Canucks. I have to give the edge to the Nucks now, simply because they are ahead and have a game in hand as well - but I wouldnt bet against Minnesota either..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page