Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Forum Rules and Announcements
 Favourite retired player Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  18:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who is your favourite retired player?

Choices:

Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Hull
Mario Lemieux
Mike Bossy
Bobby Orr
Mark Messier
Joe Sackic
Guy Lafluer
Gordie Howe
Jean Beliveau
Maurice Richard
Steve Yzerman
Other

Edited by - hockeyrocks101 on 11/25/2010 19:19:30

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  18:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There will never be a defenseman even close to as good as Bobby.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  05:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, do I ever feel old this morning . . . Gretzky and Lemieux, Messier and Sakic are old-timers?!?

Ugh.

I refuse to answer this question, it is age biased!

Darn . . . I am feeling a bowel movement and can't find my cane . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  06:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is Joe Sakic an old timer? He just retired two years ago, even someone as young as me is getting made look old with guys such as Sakic and Yzerman on this.

My favorite is Orr.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

Guest4050
( )

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  12:49:08  Reply with Quote
Rick Middleton athough I know hes not better than those players.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  12:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Awesome One

How is Joe Sakic an old timer? He just retired two years ago, even someone as young as me is getting made look old with guys such as Sakic and Yzerman on this.

My favorite is Orr.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".

Sakic is an old timer because his first game was in 1988 and he is over 40 years old. I would consider that an old-timer personally. There are a few guys playing today that I would consider old timers.

I also find it a little funny when people pick Bobby Orr as their favorite player. With all due respect, Bobby Orr retired before many of us were even born. If you did not have a chance to actually watch a player I can't understand who they are your favorite player.

Personally, my all time favorite player is Wayne Gretzky.
Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  15:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, what i meant buy old timers is guys that are retired. Give me a break. I like your point beans15 as for slozo.... your not funny.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  15:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My all time favorite player is Ray Bourque.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  16:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by Awesome One

My favorite is Orr.

Sakic is an old timer because his first game was in 1988 and he is over 40 years old. I would consider that an old-timer personally. There are a few guys playing today that I would consider old timers.

I also find it a little funny when people pick Bobby Orr as their favorite player. With all due respect, Bobby Orr retired before many of us were even born. If you did not have a chance to actually watch a player I can't understand who they are your favorite player.

Personally, my all time favorite player is Wayne Gretzky.

He's my dad's favorite player, I have tons of videos with him playing on them, and I went to his safe and fun hockey camp and got a few autographes from him and Mike Bossy.

Bobby is the greatest player in NHL history, but Gretz is not far behind.

Edited by - Awesome One on 11/23/2010 16:46:26
Go to Top of Page

Guest9884
( )

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  07:25:23  Reply with Quote
Here's a vote for Scott Stevens. It does not mean that I think he is the best player of all time. Just liked watching him.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  07:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry O'Reiley ~ based purely on my biased Bruins objective and that he was a pretty reckless player who played with heart and for the game, not the cheque.
Go to Top of Page

Yewcandoit
Rookie

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  23:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Close one b/w Yzerman and Sakic.
I didn't get a chance to watch much of the other players. From what I could see, they were all great as well.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  07:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HockeyRocks: It's ok that you don't get my humour, wait another 8 to 10 years when you are at least in your 20s and you'll appreciate it!

Favourite player growing up was #99, like many others I thought he was just amazing to watch.

A close second, especially after Gretzky and LA eliminated my Leafs back in the day, is Dougie Gilmour. He is the best 'modern day' Leaf ever IMHO, not counting goalies.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9394
( )

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  07:49:04  Reply with Quote
Bobby Orr. He's he only defenseman to ever lead the league in scoring, and he did it twice, while still being the best defensive defenseman in the league. No one else even comes close to Orr.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  08:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this question is a bit misleading I suppose, as favourite does not mean best.

From the list my favourite is Mario Lemeiux. But my favourite is probably Lanny McDonald - all those years as a huge CGY fan, and he still has a lot of class even today. And the best Movember stache, year round.
Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  14:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nuxfan i put some of the best players ever to play the game in this poll because alot of times people like the best players in the league as their fav. players. Not all the time though, i know.
Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  14:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slozo i do get your humour i just don't like people bugging me about a question i post or a mistake i make.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  15:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

HockeyRocks: It's ok that you don't get my humour, wait another 8 to 10 years when you are at least in your 20s and you'll appreciate it!

I'm even younger than HockeyRocks, and I think it's really funny!

Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  16:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome one i said i get it and it is pretty funny...... i just don't like people buggin me.

Edited by - hockeyrocks101 on 11/26/2010 16:12:51
Go to Top of Page

Guest4642
( )

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  16:23:25  Reply with Quote
A bit of a weird choice, but I always loved watching Brian Leetch. One of the more underrated defenseman. Always enjoyed watching him rush the puck.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4460
( )

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  18:46:46  Reply with Quote
John Vanbiesbrouck
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2010 :  10:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Yserman. At one point he was challenging Gretzky for points lead the next he takes his defensive game to an elite level. What does it say that a captain sacrifices stats, for team wins and get his whole team to buy in. He in my opinion is one of the classiest leaders/players to play the game.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2010 :  16:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trevor Linden or Peter Forsberg. Linden is a Canucks hero and showed more detirmination then any other player I have ever seen. Peter Forsberg was an unstopable force then any team would wan't as there #1 player.
Honourable mention to Bobby Orr for not accepting his pay the year he didn't play.
TEEHEE THAT RHYMES

The Monkey is me

Edited by - Utemin on 11/29/2010 16:52:06
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  10:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"With all due respect, Bobby Orr retired before many of us were even born. "

Now I feel really old.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  09:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne Gretzky...easily my favorite player as a kid. I grew up a Kings fan, briefly followed him to St.Louis, and then on to the New York Rangers, who i've been a fan of ever since.

Out of the guys on that list, Steve Yzerman would be my next choice. Some of my other favorites aren't on that list though, so i'll mention a few...Brian Leetch, Wendel Clark, Pavel Bure, Jaromir Jagr, Felix Potvin, Grant Fuhr, Pat LaFontaine, Doug Gilmour, Cam Neely, Mike Richter, etc.
Go to Top of Page

ToeDrag
Top Prospect

9 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  12:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted other - my favorite player of all time was Alexander Mogilny... he used to come in on the PP top of the circle and snip one top corner short side - and you could see it comin everytime!

Where is he anyway?

"I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out"
Go to Top of Page

Guest0750
( )

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  13:21:49  Reply with Quote
Posted - 01/29/2011 : 09:12:37 Robert Orr is obviously the man but I voted for Mario because of the way he handled the Pittsburgh Penguins situation he was hi class the whole way through and even put his paycheck on the back burner until the franchise could recover ........................ when all Gretzky did was say the Coyotes owe me 8million dollars.

gretzky also stated that he isn't worried about the 8 million he is owed, plus that also was as a coach. this is about your favorite retired player, nothing to do with after they played.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6615
( )

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  14:42:28  Reply with Quote
I select Keith Acton.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  16:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6615

I select Keith Acton.

Really, you're either Keith Acton, or you've never seen Shane O'Brien play!
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  11:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob Probert was a beast on and off the ice.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  13:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Bobby Orr leading this poll, i've assumed wrong all this time. All along, i figured the avg age on here was somewhere in the mid 20's. Being that it's Orr, clearly the avg age must be in the 50's?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  10:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex - why would you have to be old to have Orr as your favourite retired player?

Even though most never saw him play live, I'd guess that most have seen plenty of old footage of him playing. More importantly, Orr is extremely involved in minor hockey, making celebrity appearances, signings, and is often around in the public eye. He remains a very very classy individual, who has a lot of insight and still very well respected across the NHL.

I can totally see young guys having Orr as a favourite player . . . especially if their dad had him as their fave.

Go to Top of Page

Guest0750
( )

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  11:19:38  Reply with Quote
when i was little my favorite was Tony Tanti, even thou i was only 7 when he went and played in germany. then it was Cliff Ronning, to bad vancouver had to go and hire keenan thats when i stopped watching vancouver,
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  11:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can totally see young guys having Orr as a favourite player . . . especially if their dad had him as their fave.

Good for you, but i can't. Difference of opinion i guess?

I'd be willing to bet that there's not a single person under the age of 35 on this site who's seen more than just a handful of clips of Bobby Orr. As this can't be proven, it's a moot point.

As far as him being involved in minor hockey, etc, great! I'm sure there are a few "kids" out there who've actually met him and could pick him for that reason i suppose. Enough to be leading a poll here, prob not.......
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  22:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray Bourque is my favourite player ever.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8869
( )

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  23:54:32  Reply with Quote
Kari Eloranta, nobody did it better
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  04:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Good for you, but i can't. Difference of opinion i guess?

I'd be willing to bet that there's not a single person under the age of 35 on this site who's seen more than just a handful of clips of Bobby Orr. As this can't be proven, it's a moot point.

As far as him being involved in minor hockey, etc, great! I'm sure there are a few "kids" out there who've actually met him and could pick him for that reason i suppose. Enough to be leading a poll here, prob not.......

I don't really get how you could pick a player that you didn't grow up watching either. I just don't really see how you could have the same connection with a player that retired before your time...it's just not the same for me. You don't get to see him play live, or if he's a top player in the league, route for him in the scoring race or to win a trophy, etc. I have the utmost respect for guys like Orr, Howe, Richard, etc, but i don't consider any of those types my favorite players.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  16:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by content removed.

Robert Orr is obviously the man but I voted for Mario because of the way he handled the Pittsburgh Penguins situation he was hi class the whole way through and even put his paycheck on the back burner until the franchise could recover ........................ when all Gretzky did was say the Coyotes owe me 8million dollars content removed

Yep, in the twilight of his income earning career walk away from almost the most he earned from any playing career year, plus all the equity he owned in the Coyotes. Yep, lets blame the Great One here. He got royally screwed, you made a asinine comment and you have your head on backwards.

Any team in the league right now would love to have this guy represent them in anyway possible, but because of the way the Coyotes and especially the NHL treated him, NEVER gonna happen again. He is now a spokesman for life and this is also proof Bettman doesn't respect the game or its players/former players.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6282
( )

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  12:08:26  Reply with Quote
PAVEL BUREEEEE
Go to Top of Page

Guest9731
( )

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  13:44:59  Reply with Quote
Irvine nailed it! Ray Bourque was the best!
Go to Top of Page

big sexy
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  07:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets be honest, there will never be another Bobby????, now i never watched Bobby, only on highlights but even has an Oiler fan, I sure enjoy watching Nic Lidstrom. To me, he has very quickly moved himself as the only comparable player to have "Orr" status. HIs top caliber play for such a sustained amount of time, his stats barely changing in the "new era" post lockout hockey. Will there be another Bobby, i doubt it, but its also hard to compare great players from different eras, especailly when the game has changed so drastically.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page