Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Forum Rules and Announcements
 The eternal debate Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  14:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Crosby or Ovechkin, not who you like but who truly do you think is better?

Choices:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Too close to call

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  14:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it should be Crosby vs. Stamkos now.
Ovie is not keeping up
Go to Top of Page

Guest4670
( )

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  14:57:50  Reply with Quote
Crosby by a metric Mile .. He has everything a Hockey player would want.. Ovie is a Bum on a good team.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  16:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the only reason this debate is eternal is because people keep bringing it up year after year after year...
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  16:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malkin's better than crosby he just has no confidence right now

Go OILERS Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4967
( )

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  17:01:52  Reply with Quote
every year it changes, this would be a crosbey year.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  17:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait 15 years, then MAYBE we'll have an answer.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  21:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really splitting hairs. Both are the best of their class. No doubt about it. Like them or not, no one can deny their abilities.

However, I think Crosby is a better player to build a team around. I think he is more of a team player and I think he makes players around him better. He is willing to do anything to win and that is something I have yet to see from Ovechkin.

But if I am an owner who wants to make money, Ovechkin is more marketable. He is more the 'rock star' to steal from another person's recent post. He is the enigma that people want to know about. He goes for Groceries and it's news in the hockey world.

Cup = Crosby
Money = Ovechkin
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  23:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin might be slightly more marketable but only because he's in the USA, not Canada. If Crosby played for the Leafs, could you imagine??? Ovechkin is def more flash and perhaps that makes him slightly more marketable to a less knowledgable US audience?

My pick would be Crosby for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  06:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

It's really splitting hairs. Both are the best of their class. No doubt about it. Like them or not, no one can deny their abilities.

However, I think Crosby is a better player to build a team around. I think he is more of a team player and I think he makes players around him better. He is willing to do anything to win and that is something I have yet to see from Ovechkin.

But if I am an owner who wants to make money, Ovechkin is more marketable. He is more the 'rock star' to steal from another person's recent post. He is the enigma that people want to know about. He goes for Groceries and it's news in the hockey world.

Cup = Crosby
Money = Ovechkin

I agree with Beans, but where do you fit Stamkos into this?

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  07:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Ovechkin might be slightly more marketable but only because he's in the USA, not Canada. If Crosby played for the Leafs, could you imagine??? Ovechkin is def more flash and perhaps that makes him slightly more marketable to a less knowledgable US audience?

My pick would be Crosby for sure.

Agreed, however they are both in the States so it is comparable. If one of them did play for the Leafs or Habs it would be significantly different. However, if they were to both play for Canadian team, say Crosby with the Habs and Ovechkin for the Leafs, Ovechkin would still be more marketable. It's the TMZ society. People love seeing what celebrities do, the more controversial the better. Think of Sean Avery, who is a great 3rd line/marginal 2nd line player. No where near as skills as the elite group of player but everything he does is covered as a news story.

And Awesome One, I put Stamkos in my top 10 today but behind players like Ovechkin, Crosby, Backstrom, the Sedins, Getzlaf, and Datsuyk. He's in a groups with Staal, Nash, Perry, St. Louis, Iginla, et al. However, he is climbing quickly into the discussion of the top 3-5 players in the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  09:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, i think if they both played on Canadian teams, it'd Crosby who'd be more marketable. As a Canadian citizen, an Olympic gold medal winning HERO and a top 2 guy in the league, i can't imagine him being less marketable than Ovie, even with the flair that Ovie perhaps shows?

Would sure be nice to see them both on Canadian teams. Of course, not the Oilers (j/k)

Then again, it prob helps hockey more overall having them in the US as they need the boost more than we do up here!
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  12:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truthfully I believe Ovie is better because he is a well rounded player.
Crosby no doubt is the better shooter and possibly the better deker, but his aggresivness on the puck is weak, and he does not like to pass the puck to anyone not as capable as him.

They are both better then Stamkos because Stamkos is still more rookie then veteran, he has more tendency to make mistakes over Ovi and Crosby.

I would however not build a team around Ovechkin because due to his agressive play, which is outstanding, he gets suspensions and if I am built around Ovie my team can't win without him. Crosby on the other hand Will not get suspended because he is not an agressive player and since he plays every game can lead my offense to victory.

Ovechkin wins but it is almost too close to call.

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  12:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[ I think he is more of a team player and I think he makes players around him better.

He is willing to do anything to win and that is something I have yet to see from Ovechkin.

I slightly disagree with the first part. Though Crosby does get more assists then Ovechkin, Crosbys assists are almost all on the powerplay because he won't pass to Kunitz or his other rotated line mate unless it is Malkin. Also Crosby did bag on his back up goaltender making one player feel bad to make the other feel better.
I believe Crosby is better at keeping the team on task while Ovechkin is the one who likes fun more then winning and keeps the team happy.
I however slightly agree with the second part "He is willing to do anything to win and that is something I have yet to see from Ovechkin." Crosby does try harder harder to be the best, but I doubt that you have not seen a full effort from Ovechkin. His detirmination to win in the Olympics was really high, maybe it was hard to see because his team failed, but he tried just as hard as Crosby at that point.

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  12:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I slightly disagree with the first part. Though Crosby does get more assists then Ovechkin, Crosbys assists are almost all on the powerplay because he won't pass to Kunitz or his other rotated line mate unless it is Malkin. Also Crosby did bag on his back up goaltender making one player feel bad to make the other feel better.

utemin, Crosby gets about 1/3 of his assists on the PP, the rest are even strength. at least try to be accurate, please.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  12:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby isn't well rounded?? He doesn't pass?? Sidney Crosby right??

If he didn't pass to those as good as he is he would never pass the puck at all!! I sure hope you are not trying to elude to Ovechkin being a better passer or playmaker as that is simply not true. Ovechkin has never has more than 59 assists in a season. Crosby has never had less than 58 assists in a full season. Even Crosby's injury season when he had just 67 games, he beat Ovechkin in assists. Crosby has seasons of 70, 84, and 63 assists??? How can he do that without passing???

Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  13:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Crosby isn't well rounded?? He doesn't pass?? Sidney Crosby right??

If he didn't pass to those as good as he is he would never pass the puck at all!! I sure hope you are not trying to elude to Ovechkin being a better passer or playmaker as that is simply not true. Ovechkin has never has more than 59 assists in a season. Crosby has never had less than 58 assists in a full season. Even Crosby's injury season when he had just 67 games, he beat Ovechkin in assists. Crosby has seasons of 70, 84, and 63 assists??? How can he do that without passing???

Maybe I missed out a bit and worded it badly. Crosby is the better passer no doubt but as his career has gone on he has gotten more cocky about himself causing him to pass less. Team play they have been fairly equal lately that was my point. As for Crosby not being well rounded he can play two way but his skills are lower on the defense side would you not agree? I did say I only slightly disagreed which means its close.

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  13:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
utemin, you simply don't know what you're talking about here - you are flat out wrong. which is hard to do in a thread largely based on opinion.

Crosby is a well rounded passer and shooter, and has been consistent through his career in that regard. His assists have not dropped very much since he joined the league, he's normally good for 60-80 assists a year. When on the puck he is extremely strong, it is very difficult for opposing players to get it away from him.

He is probably worse defensively than offensively, but that is true with most of the forwards in the NHL - they are paid to produce in the offensive zone first. However, Crosby is a very good defensive player, solid in his own end. Crosby is a very complete player, in most ways that a player can be evaluated.

Ovechkin is certainly not the better passer, or better defensive forward, or well rounded. OV is a sniper, a pure goal scorer that can throw a bodycheck as well. He's the best at what he does for sure, but he is in no way a more well rounded player than Crosby.
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  14:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Utemin

Truthfully I believe Ovie is better because he is a well rounded player.
Crosby no doubt is the better shooter and possibly the better deker, but his aggresivness on the puck is weak, and he does not like to pass the puck to anyone not as capable as him.

They are both better then Stamkos because Stamkos is still more rookie then veteran, he has more tendency to make mistakes over Ovi and Crosby.

I would however not build a team around Ovechkin because due to his agressive play, which is outstanding, he gets suspensions and if I am built around Ovie my team can't win without him. Crosby on the other hand Will not get suspended because he is not an agressive player and since he plays every game can lead my offense to victory.

Ovechkin wins but it is almost too close to call.

The Monkey is me

NO WA
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  14:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a mistake to post that, but there is no possible way that Crosby has a better shot and is, shall we say "selective" about his passes, almost all of this is opposite
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  15:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doublechamp7

That was a mistake to post that, but there is no possible way that Crosby has a better shot and is, shall we say "selective" about his passes, almost all of this is opposite

Crosby is a much better shot then Ovi, Sorry to say.
Nuxfan you are just contridicting a bunch of stuff I never wrote... however I did write Ovechkin is more well rounded, which he is but I never said that he was a defensive player. By well rounded I mean he is Great at everything while Crosby is Amazing at most thing but only good or average at the rest of the skill sets.

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  15:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Utemin, you are trolling right?

You have nothing to back up any of what you say other than a dislike for Crosby. Every point you make has already been proven unfounded and in some cases just plain wrong, in many threads already.

I painfully quote;

"Crosby is a much better shot then Ovi, Sorry to say."
"Ovechkin is more well rounded, which he is but I never said that he was a defensive player. By well rounded I mean he is Great at everything while Crosby is Amazing at most thing but only good or average at the rest of the skill sets."
"Crosby is the better passer no doubt but as his career has gone on he has gotten more cocky about himself causing him to pass less."
"Though Crosby does get more assists then Ovechkin, Crosbys assists are almost all on the powerplay because he won't pass to Kunitz or his other rotated line mate unless it is Malkin."

Jesus!! What the hey are you trying to say?

Drivel! Freakin' Drivel!!!!

By all means, voice an opinion, but for the love of all things sensible, back it up with reasonable argument, not this nonsense.

Sorry if you find this offensive, but in more than one post, you get lost in your own silliness, and it gets hard to take after a while.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  15:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FER...... B I N G O! We have a winner! FINALLY someone is calling this monkey out on his trolling! There's no way in the world anyone could possibly write the utter BS that has been written and really mean it as their opinion! NOT A CHANCE.

IMO, it's time for a BAN, as it's clearly gotten to the point that 99% of the monkey posts are absolute garbage!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  15:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin is more well rounded, which he is but I never said that he was a defensive player. By well rounded I mean he is Great at everything while Crosby is Amazing at most thing but only good or average at the rest of the skill sets."

this is a ridiculous contrediction in it self and a very obvious one at that,, i almost think sometimes you are just trying to say anything to disagree,,, i mean come on

"In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs." - Bob Uecker

Go to Top of Page

Guest6135
( )

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  19:00:35  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin more marketable????? He's got one of the ugliest mugs in the league
Go to Top of Page

Yewcandoit
Rookie

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  22:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree that Crosby is the better all around player.

But I would take Ovie over him in a winger role.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  19:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
And Awesome One, I put Stamkos in my top 10 today but behind players like Ovechkin, Crosby, Backstrom, the Sedins, Getzlaf, and Datsuyk. He's in a groups with Staal, Nash, Perry, St. Louis, Iginla, et al. However, he is climbing quickly into the discussion of the top 3-5 players in the NHL.

I meant what title ( as in, Ovie is the "money maker" and Crosby is the "player to build around.).

Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  19:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Awesome One

quote:

I meant what title ( as in, Ovie is the "money maker" and Crosby is the "player to build around.).

Stamkos is most likely the Top Prospect or PP Power House

The Monkey is me

Edited by - Utemin on 12/02/2010 20:44:58
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  20:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sid is on fire right now, he's on a 14 game point streak in which he has 15 goals & 14 assists for 29 points!

It's pretty impressive when you take a look at the Pens stats...Crosby is leading the way with 44 points, the next closest forward is Evgeni Malkin at 23, and then it drops all the way off to Chris Kunitz, who has just 13.
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  21:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This doesn't really have to do with the topic, but do you think TSN is concentrating less on Crosby? I remember like last year everytime you turn on Sportscentre you were guaranteed to hear something about Crosby, now not so much.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  21:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby IS the Pens right now, as Ryan93 points out . . . amazing stuff. Right now, it has to be Crosby ahead of Ovie. But all it would take is two hot weeks by Ovechkin to even that up . . . and we know he can do it. That being said, has there been a time where Ovechkin has been colder? Washington is winning, but they're star is in a slump . . .

But two great players. Let's just watch and enjoy, shall we?

And guys . . . please . . . don't feed the monkey!!!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  13:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yewcandoit

I'd have to agree that Crosby is the better all around player.

But I would take Ovie over him in a winger role.

Everybody would take Ovechkin in a winger role! He is a winger and Crosby is a centerman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page