Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 D. Byfuglien points Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  21:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
how many points will Dustin Byfuglien get at the end of the year?

The Monkey is me

Choices:

27-35
36-45
45-55
55-69
70+

Edited by - Utemin on 12/02/2010 21:01:41

EasilyAroused
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  06:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me redirect this thread... Did anyone have any issues with Byfuglien's position on this season's fantasy hockey teams? We let him go as defenceman, but I think it's kind of unfair if he makes it to, like, 70-80 through April. Any thoughts on that matter?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4684
( )

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  06:50:09  Reply with Quote
In my Pool he started as a defence man and that is how we have taken him.. I dont believe he has played much Forward at all.. If u have him Great if you dont Suck it up..
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  07:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NHL.com has him listed as D, he's actually playing D, so I don't have any issues. As stated, if you got'em, good for you, if not, suck it up buttercup!
Go to Top of Page

EasilyAroused
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  08:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But he's pratically playing forward on every power play. Much like he's been doing in Chicago: standing in front of the net most of the time. Does not sound like any "regular" defenceman to me.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  08:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
45-55, no way he holds up at this pace.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  08:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buff is not a regular defenseman - hes a huge hulk of a guy that makes an excellent screen on the PP. Teams can position their dmen wherever they want, and its not uncommon to see the very large dmen - Buff, but also Chara, and Pronger - playing the screen position in front of the net on the PP.

He is playing as a defenseman this year, I don't think he has started as a forward at all so far. Yahoo leagues have him co-positioned as D-RW, which is pretty unique (Carkner is also that position), and pretty valuable in that sort of league.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  11:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all those complaining about Byfuglien beinng a Dman in their pools, answer me this...

Did you expect him to be putting up these kind of numbers as a dman OR forward? Prob not. Therefore you wouldn't have drafted him any higher than he went. The guy's having an outstanding year. Live with it. Bottom line is, whoever picked him, got lucky and you have to live with it.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  18:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is one of those special utility posistions W/D

Edited by - Utemin on 12/03/2010 19:35:17
Go to Top of Page

Guest9884
( )

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  19:49:38  Reply with Quote
Uh, I've watched quite a few Thrashers games so far (mostly because of Byfuglien,) and he is definitely a dman. Most of his points have come from bombs on the point. He moves around on the power play but who doesn't? I have him and if he gets 70, great. But it won't happen. Atlanta is too unpredictable.
Go to Top of Page

Yewcandoit
Rookie

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  20:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
45-55

I think he will start cooling off.
Go to Top of Page

chef
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  15:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Byfuglien is a machine he proved that last year in the playoffs and thus far,i would say he is good for at least 60 points.

Go Habs!
Go to Top of Page

Dastardly Bastard
Top Prospect

22 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  08:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He has yet to play as a forward this year, even on the powerplay.
Go to Top of Page

chef
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  17:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know , but his big shot from the point is just as good as his big body in front of opposing goalies. Either way he's proved that he can play both ways . . You never know ,if Atlanta starts to slump they might just switch him around. you got admit he's of to a solid start.

Habs for the Cup
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  18:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is doing well point wise, but I haven't seen him play that well defensivley. I mean for a strong, big boy like Byfuglien he should play defensivley quite well, but he tallies up all theese points only to find that he is around the +- of 0.
The arguement will most likely be made that he is on Atlanta. For any one who says that; I respond with: ATLANTA IS IN PLAYOFF CONTENTION!

Don't hate me because i'm Beautiful
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  20:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

He is doing well point wise, but I haven't seen him play that well defensivley. I mean for a strong, big boy like Byfuglien he should play defensivley quite well, but he tallies up all theese points only to find that he is around the +- of 0.
The arguement will most likely be made that he is on Atlanta. For any one who says that; I respond with: ATLANTA IS IN PLAYOFF CONTENTION!

Utemin, you do realize that top line defensemen play siginificant minutes (25+), normally against the top lines of other teams who score goals, right? It is pretty normal for the top dmen to have plus/minus scores close to 0.

Some plus/minus ratings for some other defensemen that "don't play defensively quite so well":

- Doughty: +6
- Keith: -6
- Chara: +12
- Pronger: +4
- Martin: +3
- Weber: -9
- Lidstrom: +3

Byfuglien is currently at +4. Given that he doesn't have a stellar supprting cast like Chara does in BOS or Doughty does in LA, and ATL is not the best defensive team in the NHL, I would say that +4 is a very good rating for someone that plays 25 minutes or more a night against the oppositions top lines.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  00:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Utemin

I have no idea where you live, but i have to admit, i'm curious as to how many Atlanta games you view? To have this opinion, you must have the NHL network? Just curious, cuz i certainly haven't seen enough Atl games to form an opinion like that!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9884
( )

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  00:43:45  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Alex. There seem to be a few people commenting who clearly have not seen Atlanta play. I don't hear any knocks against Enstrom who now has 22 points and rushes the puck more than DB does. +4 on a team that regularly gets into 7, 8, and 9 goal games? Seems fairly solid to me.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7893
( )

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  01:04:32  Reply with Quote
byfuglien is a d man. he's started every games this year as a d.man. and for all thoses who are complaining because big buff makes a lot of power play points by playing as a forward, you guys should check again most of buff's ppg pts highlights this year. to easily aroused, who said ''But he's pratically playing forward on every power play. Much like he's been doing in Chicago: standing in front of the net most of the time. Does not sound like any "regular" defenceman to me.'' you don'T know what you're talking about pal. maybe you should stop watching last year's playoffs and watch more atlanta's game. Big buff plays as a d-man on the power play. Sure, he moves around a lot, and he's not afraid to get in front of the net, but most offensive d-men do the same (pronger, chara, gonchar, doughty,green...) and byfuglien got most of his power play points by firing the puck from the blue line...
The guy is having a tremendous season, and if you didn't pick him, then suck it up!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7893
( )

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  01:14:16  Reply with Quote
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8470834&fr=false

this will give u guys a pretty damn good idea of how byfuglien gets most of his goals....i think we'll all agree his shot from the point (as a d-man!) is largely responsible for his great year so far...
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  09:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll bet he has quite a shot, with all that weight and a solid stick... I wouldn't want to be in front of it. Has his shot ever been clocked?
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  20:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Utemin, you do realize that top line defensemen play siginificant minutes (25+), normally against the top lines of other teams who score goals, right? It is pretty normal for the top dmen to have plus/minus scores close to 0.

Some plus/minus ratings for some other defensemen that "don't play defensively quite so well":

- Doughty: +6
- Keith: -6
- Chara: +12
- Pronger: +4
- Martin: +3
- Weber: -9
- Lidstrom: +3

Byfuglien is currently at +4. Given that he doesn't have a stellar supprting cast like Chara does in BOS or Doughty does in LA, and ATL is not the best defensive team in the NHL, I would say that +4 is a very good rating for someone that plays 25 minutes or more a night against the oppositions top lines.

Point taken, and Alex 116 do you have any evidence that I don't watch Atlanta play nope!

I have no evidence, but I heard that Byfugliens slap shot is 103MpH

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  08:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Utemin......why are you quoting nuxfan's post and addressing me/mine? Is it because you're calling me out asking for evidence i have of the number of games you watch involving Atlanta???

Well, perhaps you ought to reread my post and try to understand it. No where did i say that you "DON'T" watch a lot of Atl games, i simply stated my curiosity in how many you do see and where you live. I also mentioned the possibility you have the NHL network. Any of this make sense? You see, you claim to be a Canucks fan (lucky us), which makes me believe you live in BC? In BC, Atlanta games are few and far between. IF you have the NHL network, maybe you watch a lot of the Atl games??? Any of this making sense yet?

Moral of the story / post...... Read, re-read, comprehend, etc, before calling someone out on something they didn't do in the first place.

BTW, your comments about how Byfuglien is putting up points yet "not playing all that well defensively" (insert his +/- stats) makes it look very suspicious that you're reading stats more than you are watching Atlanta play!!!

Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  14:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Utemin......why are you quoting nuxfan's post and addressing me/mine? Is it because you're calling me out asking for evidence i have of the number of games you watch involving Atlanta???

Well, perhaps you ought to reread my post and try to understand it. No where did i say that you "DON'T" watch a lot of Atl games, i simply stated my curiosity in how many you do see and where you live. I also mentioned the possibility you have the NHL network. Any of this make sense? You see, you claim to be a Canucks fan (lucky us), which makes me believe you live in BC? In BC, Atlanta games are few and far between. IF you have the NHL network, maybe you watch a lot of the Atl games??? Any of this making sense yet?

Moral of the story / post...... Read, re-read, comprehend, etc, before calling someone out on something they didn't do in the first place.

BTW, your comments about how Byfuglien is putting up points yet "not playing all that well defensively" (insert his +/- stats) makes it look very suspicious that you're reading stats more than you are watching Atlanta play!!!

Because i agree with Nuxfan, and then im telling you shut up

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  16:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You just don't get it do you? I'd prefer you to just post "i agree with nuxfan, Alex, you should shut up" than to see you confuse everyone by quoting one person and replying to another with a reply that doesn't have anything to do with what was said.

Here i go, wasting my time again. Do us Canucks fans a favour....go cheer for the Leafs!

Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  16:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

You just don't get it do you? I'd prefer you to just post "i agree with nuxfan, Alex, you should shut up" than to see you confuse everyone by quoting one person and replying to another with a reply that doesn't have anything to do with what was said.

Here i go, wasting my time again. Do us Canucks fans a favour....go cheer for the Leafs!

Cheering for the Leafs is a crime... Just like your hockey knowledge!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page