Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Flames-sucess/woes Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest1452
( )

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  20:59:59  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What has been the difference between the the Calgary Flames home succes, and road woes?

Choices:

Home crowd
Key players not putting up the points (away)
Kipper not playing to his full ability (away)
Tired and sloppy after travel (away)
Fresh legs and confidence (home)

Edited by - bablaboushka on 02/12/2007 11:15:42

Guest1452
( )

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  21:07:39  Reply with Quote
honestly i think its the home crowd. the cheering and screaming gets the blood and adrenaline pumping.
Go to Top of Page

framer87
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
338 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  14:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think that it is the home crowd. I think that that really will pump you up before a game. I also think that it will help because when your at home you are getting cheered but when your away you get booed.

Go pens
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  14:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1452

honestly i think its the home crowd. the cheering and screaming gets the blood and adrenaline pumping.

I 100% agree with 1452! It always makes my heart race when there is screaming all around you, people cheeirng your name with lights everywhere!!
That is the biggest issue to their home succes

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  18:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That may be true for their home games but on the flip side, it's a pitiful excuse for losing so much on the road.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  10:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mostly I think it is confidence. They started losing on the road early and couldn't catch a break and string together a few road wins in a row. If they can do that they'll start building from there until their road woes are a memory.

Canucks did it. Luongo started winning 25 games ago. 10 games ago the team started playing better and right now they are a confident team. When you're confident you make good things happen.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  13:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1452

Well then how come other teams don't suck so much on the road? If you can't play a game without a crowd screaming at you that's pretty pathetic. True, having a home crowd helps a lot but you can't come to rely on it or else you're screwed at away games.

I said it's Kipper's fault. He hasn't been so great lately.
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  15:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova
I said it's Kipper's fault. He hasn't been so great lately.

ya kipper hasn't stood on his head much lately. Flames need him back cause you can't win a cup witout goaltending. I guess they have to make the payoffs first. That's not even a sure thing with Luongo on the canucks and Gaborik for the wild. scarey times right now. He'l pull it off though!
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  16:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said the key players arent putting up points...BUT...the home team gets last change. So teams are focusing on one line, shutting them down, and then letting the other Flames try all they can to win the game. Every time the Flames lose, it's either Kipper's fault, or Iggy's...one of those 2 can be stopped with a good defensive forward line.

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  17:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

I said the key players arent putting up points...BUT...the home team gets last change. So teams are focusing on one line, shutting them down, and then letting the other Flames try all they can to win the game. Every time the Flames lose, it's either Kipper's fault, or Iggy's...one of those 2 can be stopped with a good defensive forward line.

Could be Novie. Take a look at the point production for their top 8 guys. first number is home, second is road.

Iginla 45 - 22
Langkow 30 - 31
Huselius 33 - 25
Tanguay 39 - 19
Phaneuf 20 - 20
Lombardi 19 - 7
Conroy 19 - 7
Hamrlik 18 - 7

I haven't checked how they compare to other teams but there are some serious descrepancies with Tanguay, Iginla and Hamrlik (Their first liners) hmmm....
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  17:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I still think that Kipper needs to steel a few games for them too. The games they lose are usually 1 point games, and lately they have lost games that they were LEADING in at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:
Originally posted by Novie

Could be Novie. Take a look at the point production for their top 8 guys. first number is home, second is road.

Iginla 45 - 22
Langkow 30 - 31
Huselius 33 - 25
Tanguay 39 - 19
Phaneuf 20 - 20
Lombardi 19 - 7
Conroy 19 - 7
Hamrlik 18 - 7

I haven't checked how they compare to other teams but there are some serious descrepancies with Tanguay, Iginla and Hamrlik (Their first liners) hmmm....

That's exactly what I thought it would look like...just didn't have the time to research it. Good job!

Once again last night I get the homers on the radio, talking about how IF ONLY the Flames could play .500 hockey on the road, they would be up with Detroit and Nashville...hell, even a .350 road record (3 more wins) would give them a lead in the Northwest (.241 Win % on the road at time of this post)

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

Guest4664
( )

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  12:46:06  Reply with Quote
I find it's extremely difficult to pinpoint it on simply one of those attributes. I think one thing just led to another and now they are all contributors. Leigh posted some clear numbers of away stats but also mentioned that kipper hasn't been Vezina caliber on away games, all of which I agree with. I think now it's largely a superstition that is getting to them. I feel the flames confidence is lacking on away games. Second worste in the NHL (at the time of this post) for away games leaves them unconfident in all aspects and most wins at home leaves them quite the opposite. Suddenly that home cheer, home jersey, feels that much nicer. The media targetting it, the attitudes of the players, is all hurting their game.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  20:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to put a big chunk of value on the physical advantages of being at home...

Rest.
Last Change.
Seeing the opponent's roster before committing on your own.

Never gone in on that whole 'crowd pumping us up' thing. Isn't there a loud crowd everywhere? It isn't like the NFL where the crowd can actually interfere with their ability to call plays...

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  20:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calgary against Detroit in the first round, this is not Calgary's year, sorry...Detroit in 5...

There are: People that make things happen, people that watch things happen, and people that wonder what happened, who are you...
Go to Top of Page

Guest4462
( )

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  20:55:44  Reply with Quote
Bottom line is the Flames are hugely overrated.
They have some young skill up front, but unproven yet.
Their Defense is a downgrade over years past.
Kipper has been mortally inconsistent.
No Sutter behind the bench to scream and shout.

Flames are a decent team, just not a good team.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  21:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, i'm not a die hard fan, but there isn't a team i'd rather see them play than Detroit (of the other 7 western playoff teams, of course).

Would have been a lot more confident with Sutter on the bench though.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  21:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit is due, and they will come through...even wihout one of the best in Stevie...

There are: People that make things happen, people that watch things happen, and people that wonder what happened, who are you...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page