Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Chicago Blackhawks - Playoffs? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest6560
( )

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  15:21:46  Reply with Quote
Whats the hell is going on with this team??

Will they make the playoffs?

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2010 :  20:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably - but I think they'll just get in vs owning the central division. Of course, my bet with Beans means I have a vested interest in them finishing 5-8 in the conference, so my opinion might not count for much.

I said it in an earlier thread, I'll say it again - you just can't let 10 of your active roster go, replace them with sort-of players, and hope to have the same dominant team that won the cup the year before. A quick look at some of the players they let go or traded, in order to get under the cap:

- Byfuglien - I suspect most are surprised at the success he's having, 33pts in 33 games, +6, and playing 22 mins/game in ATL
- Ladd - 29 pts in 33 games with ATL, -1, also playing near 20 mins a game
- Burish - playing as a PK/defensive forward in DAL, 15 mins/game, 4 points. He doesn't do much on the scoresheet, but he's an important defensive asset
- Versteeg - solid 3rd line checking forward (but playing first line minutes in TOR), he's put up a respectable 20 pts and plays 20 mins/game
- John Madden - one of the best defensive forwards in the game, now with MIN, 7 points, 16 minutes a game
- Ben Eager, Brent Sopel, Colin Fraser - other important role players
- Niemi - admittedly, they may have made the right choice with him, but they didn't improve by replacing with Turco, who is clearly past his due date. The future for them is Crawford, and he looks good so far this year.

They let go of a LOT of defensive presence, secondary scoring, and role players, and it shows. Last year they allowed 209 goals, this year they're already up to 101 at the 34 game mark, which projects them to finish with 252 GA - a significant difference.

They did keep all their goalscoring though, and it also shows - they're on target to be close to the 271 goals they scored last year. But I see them on the wrong side of a lot of high scoring games, 7-5, 6-3 sort of games, so perhaps some of those GF are being wasted.

So will they make the playoffs? I think so. They won't win their division, but they're certainly capable of finishing top-8 in the west, and I think they will - they have a very solid core in Toews/Kane/Hossa/Seabrook/Keith. They also added a number of draft picks/prospects in their trades over the summer, which means that they'll probably continue to do well and could be challenging again in a few years.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  09:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still believe that Chicago will not miss anyone other than Byfuglien. He's the only player that will negatively impact that team come playoff time.

But they will make the playoffs. They are only 2 wins out of 1st in the central and 2nd in the West. That could happen in a week or less!!!

I think Chicago is suffering more from a Stanley Cup hangover than the players changing. A few injuries, specifically to Hossa and Campbell have not helped, and surprisingly their goaltending has been less than average.

However, they still have TONS of talent and possibly the best coach in the NHL today. They will make the playoffs. However, of all my bets this year, this is the one I am most concerned about. Not only did I give up odds, but the West is so tights it's sick.

Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  10:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Chicago to make the playoffs they will start to hit stride in the second half. Still a strong core with game breaking potential. Hey maybe the Canucks will draw them in the first round this year before they hit the second round wall again?

Even beat them!!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2010 :  10:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still believe that Chicago will not miss anyone other than Byfuglien. He's the only player that will negatively impact that team come playoff time.

But they will make the playoffs. They are only 2 wins out of 1st in the central and 2nd in the West. That could happen in a week or less!!!

I think Chicago is suffering more from a Stanley Cup hangover than the players changing. A few injuries, specifically to Hossa and Campbell have not helped, and surprisingly their goaltending has been less than average.

However, they still have TONS of talent and possibly the best coach in the NHL today. They will make the playoffs. However, of all my bets this year, this is the one I am most concerned about. Not only did I give up odds, but the West is so tights it's sick.

The west is super-tight to be sure - sure they're only 2 wins away from first in the division, but they're also 2 losses away from 13th in the conference. Could go either way. CHI has also played 2-4 more games than anyone else in the playoff hunt except ANA.

Injuries are hurting them this year, but mainly because they don't have the depth to effectively carry them like they had last year. Last year, Hossa missed the first 20-odd games, Campbell missed 15 games, Toews missed a few games after that Mitchell hit - but they still managed to have a very impressive season - they had players capable of holding the fort while they were down. This year, they lose Hossa for another extended period, started the season without Campbell, lose Kane for a few weeks...and they start losing games.

They definitely miss Buff... but if Ladd keeps going like he has in ATL, they'll probably find they miss him as well. He could turn out to be another Kesler-type centre, and strong top-6 forwards with big defensive capabilities and a scoring touch.

One wonders how they'd be doing if they'd made some different choices - perhaps trade Hossa and walk away from Hjalmarsson, and elect to keep Buff and try to resign Ladd, and maybe resign Niemi. Hard to say.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page