Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Are the Nuxs finally for real??? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  12:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing that their is a large base of nux fans & West coast regulars on the site I thought I would pose the question if this is finally the time for Vancouver to succeed in the playoffs?

After last nights game Vancouver is the loan holder of the best record in the nhl and have reeled off six straight wins including two road games back to back against talented Colorado & SJ teams.

I do not personally get to see alot of west coast games while living in leaf nation but on paper and thus far through their play this team finally looks like it has the complete package and the ability to capture it all. They currently rank 2nd on the pp & 6th on the pk and possess maybe the best one two goalie combo in the nhl. Not to mention there may not be another team that matches their overall depth.

Also, with Sedin, Kesler & Maholtra taking the majority of their draws they are almost guarnteed to dominate large stretches of their games; which come playoff time will surely wear their opponents down.

Am i wrong to be so optimistic with the Nux finally bringing the cup back to canada after 18yrs (17 if you cancel lock out yr) or will they simply be the next coming of SJ and the new answer to playoff futility?

Lemieux owns Gretzky

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  12:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, let me say that I dislike the Canucks more than any other team in the NHL. Can't stand'em. Never have. Never will.

That being said, they are absolutely the real deal. They are awesome in virtually every area of the ice. If (and it's a big if) I could be critical of anything it would be the offensive production from their defense. More than 1/2 of their points from defensemen comes from Edler and Erhoff. But who cares when they have 2.5 forward lines absolutely flying.

The other area that I think is weak in Vancouver is their coach who has been outmatched in each of the last 2 playoffs. However, one of the biggest improvements in Vancouver this year is the special teams. Not only are the devistating on the PP, but they have seriously dropped the amount of time the spend in the penalty box.

Baring injuries, the road to the Cup in the West disgustingly goes through Vancouver.

What a bunch of jerks.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  12:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All i can say is i sure hope so!!! BUT, until we have the success we crave so badly, i won't be betting my hard earned dollars on them!

Here's the thing, they def have one of the most talented teams and arguably the deepest. BUT, the best team doesn't always win. Even if they ran the tables through the west, they could still have to play a team like Pittsburgh or Philly. Pittsburgh, if Malkin gets his game back to where it's been in the past, could be scary. Malkin and Crosby both with their A games? Fleury playing like he has in the past? Yikes. Philly? Speaking of depth!!! If Philly gets consistent goaltending and/or picks up a goalie at the deadline, they'd have to be the favorite, no? What about Washington (speaking of goalies). What if they make a trade for a goalie?

Even getting through the West won't be easy! I still think Chi will be a playoff team and a real tough test if the Canucks have to play them. Imagine the pressure on Vancouver if they were to finish 1st and draw the Hawks as an 8 seed? Oh my....
Detroit? In a 7 game series would anyone wanna play them?

I'm sure you see what i'm getting at. They def have a team "capable" of winning the cup and they're def "for real", but that doesn't guarantee you a thing!!! 16 teams make "the dance" and pretty much every one of them can win it.

But yeah, they're for real...
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  13:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is certainly the most promising season that the Canucks have had in recent memory. As Beans says, they are doing everything right - 2 solid scoring lines, a 3rd line that is mostly solid, a very solid top-6 defensive corps, an awesome PP and a very good PK. They are fast and tenacious on the puck, and are playing a good hard game. They get balanced scoring, and could finish the year with 8 20-goal scorers. As expected, Luongo has been pretty solid since giving up the C, and Schneider has proven to be a very capable backup - perhaps the best backup in the league right now.

But there are a lot of good teams in the west this year, getting out of the conference won't be easy. I fully expect them to be in the conference finals this year - anything less than top-4 would be a major disappointment this year and would likely cost AV his job.

They have what it takes to make it to the finals and challenge this year, no doubt. We are forever hopeful.
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  14:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the honesty Beans hope it did not cause you to choke on any food. Thanks for the modesty Nuxs fans if i made such a comment in leaf land i'd be hearing their bs for the remainder of the yr.

As much as i hate to admit this I truly believe that a team from the west will win the cup this yr. I may end up being wrong but i think Philly lacks the size upfront even though they are tenacious to outlast the redwings, canucks & Sharks, Washington to me is still the most overhyped team in the league but i feel about them the way beans does about the nux & my beloved pens although I feel we have the depth to battle any team if malkin is not kept at wing for the remainder of the yr and we are forced to play him at centre then i think in the playoffs his deficiency in the circle is bound to cost us. Unless he is putting up the points he did two yrs ago.

Lemieux owns Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Guest0965
( )

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  00:04:04  Reply with Quote
i'm happy with the team we got. BUT, until...they win the biggest prize. i'll wait and see what they can do in the post season, this time around.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  05:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also not very fond of the Canucks franchise . . . but they look like they are for real, yeah.

My only caveat is Luongo.

In the recent past, he has not shown himself to be a "big game goalie" by any stretch, and with the team in front of him, it should be making his task of making the finals even easier . . . but somehow they have found a way to lose the last two years. It is very telling to me that some of Luongo's worst performances have been in the playoffs.

So in the end, especially when Vancouver run against a very offensively gifted team in the playoffs, I think the responsibility for that 'next step' is on the broad shoulders of Luongo. Is he ready to take that step? We'll have to wait and see.

Until then, I say Vancouver is hoping that they don't draw a dangerous team like St. Louis (see: Halak), Anaheim (see: Hiller), or Chicago (see: Turco). And certainly not Colorado (see: Anderson) or LA (see: Quick).

Only with an absolutely superior defence can you win with an average goalie . . . and I am not sure if Vancouver is quite in that situation yet.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  07:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the recent past, he has not shown himself to be a "big game goalie" by any stretch, and with the team in front of him, it should be making his task of making the finals even easier . . . but somehow they have found a way to lose the last two years. It is very telling to me that some of Luongo's worst performances have been in the playoffs.

I disagree - I certainly don't claim that Luongo is the best "big game" goalie in the league, but in 2 of the 3 seasons that he was in the playoffs for Vancouver, he was far from the reason they lost.

2007 - lost to eventual cup winners ANA in 5 games - ANA was simply the better team in that series, hands down. Luongo was stellar in that post-season though - the marathon 4OT game 1 vs DAL with 75-odd saves, and his best performance ever in a Canuck uniform in the series loser to ANA. A 1.77 GAA and .941 SV% over 12 games, Luongo was not the reason we lost that year.

2009 - definitely put that playoff year on Luongo more than others. After a relatively easy first round, they blew it against CHI. You can argue that CHI was better than VAN, but they could have beat them that year. The series clinching game was one of Luongo's worst as a Canuck.

2010 - Luongo didn't post big stats, but came up with a huge game in the pivotal game 5 vs LAK in LA, when it was tied 2-2. Lost to eventual cup winner CHI. CHI were the better team by far in 2010, and the Canucks were suffering from a brutal string of injuries that left them with only 3 regular dmen in the lineup. No team in that situation would have beat CHI in 2010.

quote:

Until then, I say Vancouver is hoping that they don't draw a dangerous team like St. Louis (see: Halak), Anaheim (see: Hiller), or Chicago (see: Turco). And certainly not Colorado (see: Anderson) or LA (see: Quick).

who is left to draw?

This year is different. I don't think the weight is entirely on Luongo's shoulders, as it has been in years past. MG has effectively built a very solid team around a solid goaltender - it won't come down to Luongo or nothing as it has in the past.
Go to Top of Page

bananas
Top Prospect

26 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People keep talking about the Canucks not being able to win in the playoffs and the last couple years against Chicago. While I was dissapointed both times they lost to Chicago, I think everyone would agree that Chicago was the better team each time, particularly last year. Its not like Vancouver came in as the overwhelming favourite and choked. I think the difference this year is that Vancouver will be the better team and they will come through.

Theres always the chance Luongo will choke too but I think he can hold it together this year. They can always go to Schnieder if things really go off the rails.
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans I live in BC and share your sentiments being born and raised in Edmonton. I have listened to the fans here get all cocky in Jan. year after year while their team dominates only to watch them exit early or not even make the playoffs. Having said that this year they do look more complete and are deep enough to make a run... however there are many variables to winning the cup. I for one question whether they will be able to handle the physical grind required to win 4 7 game series.

I told one of their fans that the add playing here on tv for the Canucks " I won't back down" where the Sedin's skate up and stop with spray is them reaching the third round!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, i echo nuxfan's sentiments.....who else is left that they may "want" to face if they should be concerned with all those you listed?

As much as i'd love for them to avoid Chi simply because of the pressure it'd add having to beat a team who's had your number, Turco has been no where near as good as expected this year. While he has been a great goalie vs the Canucks over his career, it looks like he's taken a step back overall this season and may not even be their starter come playoffs? Hiller? Anderson? Quick? They should worry the Canucks? I'm not entirely sure why at this point. Halak, i can understand to a point, ONLY because of what he did last year. Let's face it, that's gonna scare ANYONE who plays him i suppose, but until we see him elevate his game to that level again, he's prob not on everyone's minds. We're yet to see if he simply went on a serouis hot streak?

Teams like LA and Colorado, we'd likely be favored over, at least if the playoffs were to start today. However, playing either would be a great series and could go either way, BUT, i don't think going in that the Canucks would be worried as much about Quick and Anderson as they would be the balanced teams who both can score goals!

As far as Luongo goes, i agree with nuxfan that he may not be the best of the best, but i'd say he's better than either goalie who made the final last year. Thing is, his hype and especially his contract just add pressure for him to be the saviour. Let's face it, if he were making 3.5 mil, very few would even mention him in the conversation of the Stanley Cup. For me, and i know he had an incredible team in front of him, any guy who can walk onto home ice (not only for his country, but his local city) the way he did in the Olympics and walk away with a gold, CAN win the big ones. I'm sure to hear a bunch of crap spewed about how he didn't steal any games and wasn't tested as much as others but i don't care. If i recall correctly, he stopped the shots he needed to stop to walk away with that gold medal!
Go to Top of Page

Guest3170
( )

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  20:02:27  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

First of all, let me say that I dislike the Canucks more than any other team in the NHL. Can't stand'em. Never have. Never will.

That being said, they are absolutely the real deal. They are awesome in virtually every area of the ice. If (and it's a big if) I could be critical of anything it would be the offensive production from their defense. More than 1/2 of their points from defensemen comes from Edler and Erhoff. But who cares when they have 2.5 forward lines absolutely flying.

The other area that I think is weak in Vancouver is their coach who has been outmatched in each of the last 2 playoffs. However, one of the biggest improvements in Vancouver this year is the special teams. Not only are the devistating on the PP, but they have seriously dropped the amount of time the spend in the penalty box.

Baring injuries, the road to the Cup in the West disgustingly goes through Vancouver.

What a bunch of jerks.

I like your hate beans
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page