Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 11 Ways to Kill the NHL Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  15:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article contributed by Randy Steinman of www.fantasyhockeyjournal.com

If the NHL ever ceases to exist, it probably won't be because fans have soured on hockey. It will probably be because of mismanagement by the NHL's powers-that-be.
Here are 11 ways the NHL could put itself on the road to extinction:

1. HAVE ANOTHER STRIKE OR LOCKOUT
The NHL is still rebuilding from the lockout of 2004-05. A strike or lockout in the next few years could be the death knell. It would be prudent for the league to finalize an agreement with the NHLPA regarding long term contracts before the current CBA expires.

2. DON'T GET A MAJOR U.S. TV CONTRACT
The NHL's main U.S. TV network is Versus. What the hell is Versus? Ever hear of NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS OR ESPN?

3. CONTINUE TO PROP UP NON-VIABLE FRANCHISES
The NHL would be wise to admit that Phoenix was their mistake in the desert. Rather than propping up the Coyotes financially, they should simply allow relocation of the franchise.

4. INSULT RICH CANADIANS WHO ARE FANATICAL ABOUT HOCKEY
When Jim Balsillie tried to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes, NHL bigwigs, Bettman and Daly, tried to paint him as a criminal. They should have checked out their own roster of owners first. The only problem with Balsillie was that he was a Canadian bearing oodles of cash ready to move the Coyotes to Canada. Balsillie had huge support in Canada- something the NHL should not ignore.

5. GET HOKEY WITH THE PLAYING RULES
Instituting the shootout was circus-like enough. Stop it right there. Ever think of increasing overtime by five minutes? What's wrong with a tie anyway?

6. MESS WITH TRADITION
Changing the name of a trophy or two is O.K. It's not O.K. to change trophy names simply to put your own stamp on the awards.

7. BE CONFRONTATIONAL WITH CANADIANS
NHL commish Gary Bettman gets pissy on Hockey Night in Canada whenever Ron Maclean mentions relocating franchises to Canada. Canadian hockey fans notice. The Commish would be wise to ditch his "Us against Them" stance.

8. DISCOUNT THE THREAT OF RIVAL LEAGUES
It's fine to point out that early defections to the Kontinental League are aging or unproven NHL'ers. Wait until young Russian stars decide to stay at home. Will the KHL be considered a threat then?

9. KEEP FANS GUESSING ABOUT THE OLYMPICS AND OTHER INTERNATIONAL PLAY
Will NHL players be participating in the 2014 Olympics? When is the next World Cup of Hockey? You don't know the answers to these questions and neither do I. Shouldn't we know?

10. "GO HOLLYWOOD"
What's with moving the NHL Awards to Las Vegas from Toronto? Those rapper dudes are cool but what do they have to do with hockey?

11. HAVE NON-HOCKEY PEOPLE AT THE HELM
Having number crunchers at the top is fine but they should have an understanding of- and an appreciation for- the sport..

----------------------

Well what do you think?

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you said it
Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all these points, but, save perhaps for another lockout, none of them will be responsible for the death of hockey any time soon. These things are already reality, and the league keeps on keeping on.

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the NHL will ever fully cease to exist. At worst it would go through a serious contraction, but I would think that a league would continue to exist at least in Canadian and a few select US markets. Salaries would be lower, revenues would be lower, there might be only 8 or 10 teams. But I think some sort of professional league above the AHL would continue to exist.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all those points except number 5. I think the shootout is amazing to the game and overtime
length is perfect ! Don't Change that back !
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  16:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to open a can of worms, but it's simply baffling to see how people think that Balsillie would be good for hockey. He has single handedly made every NHL owner sceptical of any new ownership group by misrepresenting himself in now 3 failed attempts at getting a franchise.

Not saying the NHL should prop up failing franchises or that more Canadian teams would be a bad thing, but Balsillie would not be good for hockey.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6697
( )

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  22:13:21  Reply with Quote
OK- you've opened up the can of worms.

What do you know about Balsillie that we don't? Why would he not be good for hockey?

Could he be any worse than Wang who brought disaster to the Islanders? Could he be any worse than the ownership group of the mistake in the desert (Phoenix)?

Did the NHL just start screening owners when Balsillie came along?

It appears to me that the NHL has been pretty lax about handing out ownerships, as evidenced by the troubles of many current franchises.

You shouldn't cite Balsillie as evidence that the NHL polices it's owners.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  22:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never really followed the whole Balsillie saga so i can't comment, but judging by the HUGE thread on here last year regarding the issue(s), i'm certain Beans does have some info you may be interested in. Whether or not it's facts is not to my knowledge, but i warn you, this can of worms could get really big really quick!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6697
( )

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  22:41:12  Reply with Quote
You don't have to warn anybody about anything here.

Fact is- Jim Balsillie tried to enter an Old Boys Club (NHL ownership) and was refused. (Actually he tried two or three times.)

To me that doesn't say there is anything wrong with him- only that the Old Boys Club is closed.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  22:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6697

You don't have to warn anybody about anything here.

Fact is- Jim Balsillie tried to enter an Old Boys Club (NHL ownership) and was refused. (Actually he tried two or three times.)

To me that doesn't say there is anything wrong with him- only that the Old Boys Club is closed.

Yeah, and i'm sure what you just said is the ENTIRE story!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6697
( )

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  23:10:42  Reply with Quote
OK Alex116- you seem to be so well intuned- WHAT IS THE ENTIRE STORY? (waiting nervously...hinging on your words)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  05:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in feet first in the can of worms!

First off, great topic, and good to hear all these valid points that certainly have a bearing on mostly killing interest and eventually revenues from Canadian hockey fans. Of note, half or more of these issues have The Count right in the middle of the issue bearing some if not most of the responsibility. He is, as most people see, pretty brutal.

However, as RC pointed out quite validly, the league has most of this happening already to some degree, and the it ain't closing up shop anytime soon. Another lockout would damage things further, for sure; but it wouldn't kill it. Of note are the potential and looming work stoppages that might happen for basketball (likely) and baseball (possible).

Now, to the point about Balsillie . . . #4. Everything that admin said was true there, 100%. And Beans cannot refute any of that, despite his man-crush on Bettman and protestations to the contrary that he is just saying he isn't the evil-doer with full control. From what I can see, what guest 6697 said about there being an Old Boys Club, and Balsillie getting refused, is bang on . . . only I would add that there is a lot of money and financial pressure as well in the mix, primarily coming from one club (Toronto), to keep out another team from southern Ontario.

So, I would say that there are two evil entities that are the cancer of the league: Bettman, and Toronto ownership (Peddie and the teacher's union).

Get rid of them, make operations open and fair for all owners, and get a just commissioner in there . . . and you will have a very healthy NHL.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If some people(and yes, I am talking directly to you) can not take their blinders off for 10 seconds and realize that not only has Balsillie been deceptive in his intentions of buying every team he has tried to buy, but he has been fined millions upon millions of dollars by the Canadian government for lying about his own company. In fact, he is barely even part of the company he started because of his upfront and honest business pratices.

Get it through your head. It's not about hockey not being in southern Ontario or Bettman. It's about a group of owners who do not want a meatball like Balsillie in.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6697

OK Alex116- you seem to be so well intuned- WHAT IS THE ENTIRE STORY? (waiting nervously...hinging on your words)

Why you nervous? Did you not read what i said earlier? Here, here it is again, and i quote...."I've never really followed the whole Balsillie saga so i can't comment, but judging by the HUGE thread on here last year regarding the issue(s), i'm certain Beans does have some info you may be interested in. Whether or not it's facts is not to my knowledge, but i warn you, this can of worms could get really big really quick!!!"

See the part in bold? I haven't followed the Balsillie stuff from day 1, i tried to explain that. As you can clearly see, Slozo and Beans seem to have more of an opinion on it than i do. It actually doesn't really interest me all that much so i've never really gotten involved in researching it nor discussing it to length. When i said "i warn you...", it was meant tongue in cheek. If you were around when the "Balsillie thread" was rampant, you might understand what i meant. In no way was i threatening you or anything like that. So, if you did read anything i wrote, which, considering you replied, seems to tell me you did, then you'll surely understand why i'm confused that you feel i'm so "well intuned" on the subject? Further, i won't even attempt to explain the "entire story" which you seek because as i've already stated, i don't follow the topic closely enough to do so.

Satisfied?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:28:32  Reply with Quote
ya and bettman and his crew of idiots arent decepetive at all? take your blinders off bud.

Bettman doesnt want any competition for his #1 hockey market and his good friends in the MLSE, He admits teams in Southern Ontario or in Winnipeg or Quebec would be more profitable then in the Southern states, (then he looks like a idiot by saying he has no reason to consider any relocations because all the teams are doing fine, yet the league ends up having to purchase a franchise)Basille also offered twice the amount of $ for the coyotes then the league ended up purchasing them for, plus he was going to give the city of Glendale $100 milllion for compensation(almost the value of the entire franchise) Maybe it was because Balsille didnt try to bribe him and the rest of the "old boys club" and instead tried fighting them in the courts which just upset bettman and a few of his sidekicks. Balsille loves Canada, he loves hockey, Canada loves Hockey, Bettman well....he enjoys having power and being a puppet, He is the George W Bush of the NHL and Daly is Chenney
Go to Top of Page

Guest3170
( )

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  19:57:54  Reply with Quote
I agree with 10/11 of those completly. I agree with bettman and the refs alot less so cudos
Go to Top of Page

Randy S.
Top Prospect

5 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  20:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. This is Randy Steinman, author of "11 Ways to Kill the NHL" and the operator of Fantasy Hockey Journal (www.fantasyhockeyjournal.com).

I am glad to see that my article generated such a spirited discussion in the forums here at PickupHockey.

I'd like to point out that when I wrote the article my belief was that a combination of the situations I listed could bring down the NHL. Except for the lockout or work stoppage situation I do not believe that any one thing on the list could shut down the NHL for good. BUT the cumulative effect of several of the "ways" could be enough to kill the league.

My take on Balsillie is that he is a rich Canadian businessman who is nuts about hockey. He is no more a criminal than half the other league owners. It was just convenient for the league to try to paint him with that brush to justify denying him a franchise.

That's my 2cents worth. Hope to be back soon with another article.

Fantasy Hockey Journal
www.fantasyhockeyjournal.com
Go to Top of Page

Guest6639
( )

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  20:50:41  Reply with Quote
Beans- you said this about Balsillie:

In fact, he is barely even part of the company he started because of his upfront and honest business pratices.

That's funny. If you go to his company site- Research in Motion- you will read this in the contact information on the home page:

Led by Co-CEO Jim Balsillie
and President and Co-CEO
Mike Lazaridis

Go to Top of Page

Guest8861
( )

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  05:46:38  Reply with Quote
The solution is an ALL CANADIAN LEAGUE, MADE IN CANADA with teams from coast to coast to coast, that would the absolute best. All Canadian cities including smaller centers like Fredericton and Regina etc. Keep a reasonable salary cap and block out the new york suits.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  07:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6639

Beans- you said this about Balsillie:

In fact, he is barely even part of the company he started because of his upfront and honest business pratices.

That's funny. If you go to his company site- Research in Motion- you will read this in the contact information on the home page:

Led by Co-CEO Jim Balsillie
and President and Co-CEO
Mike Lazaridis

Funny, I found this

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0524441220070305

(Reuters) - Jim Balsillie, the co-chief executive of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd., (RIM.TO)(RIMM.O) stepped down as chairman on Monday as the company announced a $250-million earnings restatement relating to mistakes in how it granted stock options

and this

http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197801695

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/technology/companies/06rim.html?_r=1&ref=business

In 2007 Co-CEO Jim Balsillie was forced to resign as chairman as the company announced a $250-million earnings restatement relating to mistakes in how it granted stock options. Furthermore, an internal review found that hundreds of stock-option grants had been backdated, timed to a low share price to make them more lucrative.

In January 2009, Canadian regulators stated that they were seeking a record penalty of $80 million USD from the top two executives, Co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis. Furthermore, the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) has pushed for Balsillie to pay the bulk of any penalty and relinquish his seat on RIM's board of directors for a period of time.

On February 5, 2009, several executives and directors of Research In Motion agreed to pay the penalties to settle an investigation into the backdating of stock options. The Ontario Securities Commission approved the arrangement in a closed-door meeting.

Under the terms of a settlement agreement with the OSC, RIM co-chief executive officers Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis, as well as chief operating officer Dennis Kavelman, will jointly pay a total of $68-million (CDN) to RIM to reimburse the company for losses from the backdating and for the costs of a long internal investigation. The three are also required to pay $9-million (CDN) to the OSC.

Mr. Balsillie will step down from RIM's board of directors for a year, but will remain in his executive role.

Quick, let's give a guy who overstated the value of his own company for his own financial benefit, was deceptive in his attempts at purchasing Pittsburgh and Nashville, and someone who has shown to not want to follow the rules and take the organization he wants to be part of to court.

I can't see why anyone would not want this guy in the NHL. He is nothing but good and positive news!!!

To Randy S, firstly great article. Secondly, if 1/2 the league owners are crooked, is the theory why not add one more?? Just curious as I would assume that the survivial of the NHL would involved removing as many unsavory owners as possible, not adding to the list.

Edited by - Beans15 on 01/06/2011 07:13:28
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  08:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stock option repricing is not that uncommon in the high tech world (where options are a part of most employee's compensation). There is a correct way to do it and an incorrect way to do it, and many companies go the incorrect way. RIM went the incorrect way and got caught (as other companies did in 05/06/07) and fined.

That decision would have been made by his CFO, not Balsillie, but good CEO's take the fall when their underlings screw up. If this is all you can find on him, thats pretty weak sauce.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  06:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, you are missing one piece of the story though:

That guy Balsillie you describe - that same guy who you just described as the "shady dealings, can't trust me guy" - is the same guy who was vetted by the NHL and accepted already by the NHL when the Nashville thing happened. And the only reason the NHL stepped in and stopped Balsillie then WAS NOT for any reasons stated by Beans just now . . . it was because they found out he had already sold season tickets for a Hamilton franchise.

The fact that the league let in "Boots" Del Baggio, who is / was doing time in jail for crimes he was convicted of . . . leads me to believe that the NHL or any spokesperson for Bettman (Beans, lol) would be disingenuous to comment on the lack of trustworthiness or morals of a guy like Balsillie.

I agree with Randy S, in that Balsillie is no more criminal than literally half the owners, maybe more.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  08:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you prove my point. He originally bought Nashville to stay in Nashville then started selling tickets in Hamilton.

Thanks!!

And again, if the NHL has made mistakes in the past and allowed unsavory owners in, why add to the problem with more unsavory owners??

And finally, after 2 years of debating is completely laughable that anyone still thinks Bettman has anything to do with who the Board of Governors lets in and doesn't let in. If you need a scapegoat, fine. But point it in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4097
( )

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  10:17:31  Reply with Quote
Well said Canadian friend. Well said. Let's add: Fire the little man.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page