Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 LAK extends Johnson, 7yr/30.5M Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  08:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LA has locked up the first of their two young RFA dmen, signing Jack Johnson to a 7yr/30.5M deal. 3.5M in each of the first 3 years, 5M in each of the last 4. Given how he is playing right now, this is a pretty good deal for both sides, and adequately values Johnson.

Next up - Doughty. Any word on contract negotiations for him?

MyTeamRules
Top Prospect

72 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  22:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is an overpay on Johnson, great offensive talent, but 5 million for 4 years? Has Kovalchuck not shown theese big contracts are dangerous?
Doughty will recieve a 6million 5year contract, he is on fire right now even though they are losing to Toronto.

”If you've only got one day to live, come see the Toronto Maple Leafs. It'll seem like forever. ” - Pat
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  08:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree, and think that this contract is ok for LA. Sure, it'd have been nice for them to be able to get him cheaper but have a look at the season this guy is putting up. This "kid" made the US Olympic team last year and would prob be further along in his progress and development had he not suffered a bad shoulder injury in what i believe was his rookie year.

Tell me the Hurricane's wouldn't like a do over on the trade that saw them give him away!!!

To LA - Oleg Tverdovsky and the rights to Jack Johnson
To Car - Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  08:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think CAR were forced into that trade, the could not come to a contract agreement with Johnson at the time...something to that effect.

I too think this is a decent contract for Johnson - he's a big young mobile defenseman that has shown he probably put up 50 points a year and play big minutes in LA. With Doughty as well LA has arguably the best 1-2 dman lineup other than CHI with Keith/Seabrook. Assuming they can get Doughty for 5-6M, they'll have 2 of the top-10 dmen in the league locked up for around 10M. Not bad.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  08:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nuxfan.....got the trade info off wikipedia, and here's what they said about the reasoning. Seems Carolina was in need of a dman and couldn't wait any longer, not contract related...........

Wiki.....Johnson was drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the first round, 3rd overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft from the Team USA under-18 national team, but did not immediately jump to the NHL, instead playing for the University of Michigan in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. In his freshman season, Johnson set school records for points (32) and PIMs (149) by a freshman defenseman. After his freshman season, however, with the Hurricanes needing a defenseman and Johnson having committed to another collegiate season (the Hurricanes had tried to sign him after his freshman season ended),[1] Canes' GM Jim Rutherford traded Johnson's rights on September 29, 2006, along with Oleg Tverdovsky, to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for Tim Gleason and Éric Bélanger.

I guess Tim Gleason was the answer?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  10:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from the wikipedia article:

quote:

...After his freshman season, however, with the Hurricanes needing a defenseman and Johnson having committed to another collegiate season (the Hurricanes had tried to sign him after his freshman season ended...

I believe the fact that he stayed in college was due to him not liking the contract offer. There was definitely something about CAR wanting to get rid of him at the time, or needing to get rid of him because it was clear he didn't want to be there...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  10:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be interested to know why he wouldn't want to play there? Hadn't they just come off a Stanley Cup win?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  10:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they had. Another article concerning the trade - you may be right after all, it might have just been a decision by Johnson to want to finish school, and CAR wanting a dman now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2607458

It looks like CAR attempted twice to sign him to pro contracts, and they were twice turned down. CAR might have had to trade him to avoid losing his rights and having him re-enter the draft after 2 years unsigned. Anyway, for whatever reason (money or otherwise), Johnson was likely not going to sign in CAR.

Edited by - nuxfan on 01/11/2011 10:32:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page