Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Cooke Elbow Verdict - Enough? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  14:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Was the NHL's "10 game regular season and first round of the playoffs" verdict for Cooke's elbow on McDonagh appropriate?

Choices:

Yes
No

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  15:06:34  Reply with Quote
I think the league got it right this time.

I'm no fan of Matt Cooke's (and repeat offenders like him), but anyone else would have got two games for such an offense. Take a look at Joe Thornton's elbow from earlier this season, and that's what he got.

But Cooke is a repeat offender, and time has passed since Thornton's elbow, and the times are a changin'!

This suspension should have some impact on Cooke, but if not, the Penguins will feel some pain. They could use him down the stretch, and they will definitely miss having him in the line-up for the first round of the playoffs.

I think anything less (of a suspension) would not have been enough, and anything more would have been excessive.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  15:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the team should suspend him. That guy should just not play hockey anymore period.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0750
( )

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  16:15:04  Reply with Quote
people were talking 10 games this has the ability of being a 17 games. which is a good amount of time and money plus the penguins are on the nhl's side so really i think it was fair.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  16:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0750

people were talking 10 games this has the ability of being a 17 games. which is a good amount of time and money plus the penguins are on the nhl's side so really i think it was fair.

Really great point about the Pens supporting the call. Here is Shero's comment:

"The suspension is warranted because that's exactly the kind of hit we're trying to get out of the game," said Penguins general manager Ray Shero. "Head shots have no place in hockey. We've told Matt in no uncertain terms that this kind of action on the ice is unacceptable and cannot happen. Head shots must be dealt with severely, and the Pittsburgh Penguins support the NHL in sending this very strong message."

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall during the meeting I am certain happened between Shero and Cooke and maybe even Lemieux.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  05:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great decision - this is what the NHL has needed to do for a long time, all it took was . . .

1) a potential career ending injury to the game's best player (Crosby)
2) probably career ending of one of the top centremen in the league (Savard)
3) Potentially life-threatening hit into a stanchion that miraculously turned out ok, and caused an uproar, inciting political and even the threat of police action
4) numerous vicious and deliberate elbows to the heads of other players, causing many concussions and potential career-ending injuries
5) Many of the game's top mangement, former players, coaches, speaking out about the need for greater disciplinary action, and a threatened pull out form a major sponsor (Air Canada) for the same reason

Did I miss anything?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  06:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you did Slozo, you missed the GM's actually doing something about it and not leaving everything to the NHL and complaining when they didn't like the result.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  09:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Godd suspension in my books. Now lets just hope the NHL follows up future reviews with the same book.

Question lets say this was a first time offender what do you suppose the suspension would have looked like after seeing what they gave Cooke?

Edited by - tbar on 03/22/2011 09:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  09:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tbar

Question lets say this was a first time offender what do you suppose the suspension would have looked like after seeing what they gave Cooke?

Depending on the player, i'd venture to guess 0-5 games. History shows us that it would likely be light and in my mind, they've come down hard on him due to his history AND to send a message. 0 might not have happened though as this was pretty blatant!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  10:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why hasn't Mario come out and said anything? Pretty quick when the shoe is on the other foot.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  11:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by tbar

Depending on the player, i'd venture to guess 0-5 games. History shows us that it would likely be light and in my mind, they've come down hard on him due to his history AND to send a message. 0 might not have happened though as this was pretty blatant!

So lets say they went with 5 the highest number you offered for a first time offender. If thats the plan are people going to be ok with this? That would mean a guarenteed 5 games for any blatent headshot. I myself would be 100% ok with that. I
Go to Top of Page

Pushrod
Top Prospect

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  11:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

Why hasn't Mario come out and said anything? Pretty quick when the shoe is on the other foot.

I've heard this a lot now in various places and don't fully understand why Mario is required to say anything. He voiced his opinion on the other matter and shouldn't be required to say anything in my opinion. I guess the fact that a guy like Cooke is on his team is the only thing that warrants some of the negative attention, but I still don't fully buy this outcry against Mario and "where is he now" stuff.

I'm guessing he'll end up saying he agrees with the suspension like the other Penguin staff already has, quite frankly because it was warranted. I don't see anything else he really has to say, the nhl already made the point for him by doing the proper thing.

Edited by - Pushrod on 03/22/2011 11:53:02
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  12:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toxxik, you clearly missed Lemieux's comments last week when he said fines should be placed on the teams as a result of the dirty hits happening ever so frequently in today's game.

Give you three guesses, first two do not count that if the league passed that rule, which owners pocket book would of been the first too be lightened?

I guess this is Mario commenting for you

In youth we learn; in age we understand
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  21:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like they said on TSN earlier, hockey is a fast game, and if Cooke now has to second- guess himself on his hitting, on how he's hitting, it's gonna slow his game down a notch, and for a player like him that could be the notch that takes him out of the NHL. He's a third-fourth line grinder that whose talent level is questionable. Skill-wise, I'd say he's a little above a thug, though he does produce more than your average goon, a role that is becoming less important as they game begins to take steps away from that direction. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a much different Matt Cooke after the suspension is done, making less impact and maybe hard-pressed to find future suitors as teams are trying to distance themselves from players like him.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  04:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pushrod

quote:

I've heard this a lot now in various places and don't fully understand why Mario is required to say anything. He voiced his opinion on the other matter and shouldn't be required to say anything in my opinion. I guess the fact that a guy like Cooke is on his team is the only thing that warrants some of the negative attention, but I still don't fully buy this outcry against Mario and "where is he now" stuff.

I'm guessing he'll end up saying he agrees with the suspension like the other Penguin staff already has, quite frankly because it was warranted. I don't see anything else he really has to say, the nhl already made the point for him by doing the proper thing.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but, Mario didn't say a word before the fight night between Pit and NYI? Then came out with his comments? Now, the shoe is on the other foot.....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  04:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrBoogedy

Like they said on TSN earlier, hockey is a fast game, and if Cooke now has to second- guess himself on his hitting, on how he's hitting, it's gonna slow his game down a notch, and for a player like him that could be the notch that takes him out of the NHL. He's a third-fourth line grinder that whose talent level is questionable. Skill-wise, I'd say he's a little above a thug, though he does produce more than your average goon, a role that is becoming less important as they game begins to take steps away from that direction. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a much different Matt Cooke after the suspension is done, making less impact and maybe hard-pressed to find future suitors as teams are trying to distance themselves from players like him.

Couldn't disagree more about Cooke's skill level - he is one of the top third liners in the game, and can easily fit into a second line role. He is good defensively, a very good penalty killer (he has 3 shg this year), and a good checker when he wants to.

He is simply reckless, and has zero respect for others, and he likes to hurt other guys for no good reason other than, I suppose, an ego boost. I suppose he thinks he is helping the team when he takes out guys like Savard.

So no - I think that, if Cooke played much cleaner, he'd still be a very effective hockey player.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  07:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree completely Slozo. He's always been an effective player, or he simply wouldn't have lasted this long.

I loved his quote though where he said "i don't wanna hurt anyone". Really? Did he see the tape of this latest incident???
Go to Top of Page

Pushrod
Top Prospect

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  10:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Pushrod

quote:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but, Mario didn't say a word before the fight night between Pit and NYI? Then came out with his comments? Now, the shoe is on the other foot.....

I don't disagree with you that the shoe is on the other foot now. I just don't see why he would have to say anything, and don't know what exactly you would want him to say. He spoke up the last time because he didn't think the league responded with the appropriate actions. After the Cooke suspension, if Mario came out and said it was too harsh or something along those lines, that would be ridiculous. However, I'm assuming he feels the suspension was warranted and the league got it right, so I guess he could come out and say that, but it's really not necessary in my opinion. In reality he should feel vindicated that maybe his message got across to the league, even if it was at the expense of someone on his team.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page