Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Still an NHL fan without fighting??? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  19:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The hot topic of the week seems to be the question around the usefulness of fighting in the NHL. A common argument is the majority of hockey fans support fighting in the game. But how much do they really support fighting???

If the NHL implemented an immediate and irreversible lifetime ban to any player engaging in a fight, what would you do???

Choices:

Stop watching hockey all together
Watch only my team and less of other teams as no fighting means less excitement
Watch just as much as I do today and maybe more knowing I will be watching pure hockey
Watch just as much as I do today but get into other sports to feed my need for fighting
No more and no less. The same amount Iwatch today

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/23/2011 20:43:11

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  19:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, i voted "Watch just as much as I do today and maybe more knowing I will be watching pure hockey" but only because "watch just as much as i do today" wasn't there. It wouldn't change my mind whatsoever and likely wouldn't have me watching any more than i already do. Heck, my wife would prob shoot me!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  20:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Alex. I kind of loaded that question. I have added another option that is more or less what you said.
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  20:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted no more, no less... only because I'd try to approach it with an open mind and give it a chance to see if it still entertained. Like so many have said before, I am not a fan of the staged fights, they're boring and pointless. However when I watched the Montreal-Minnesota blowout, Stoner and White had a fantastic brawl which was white answering to Stoner throwing a few hard hits early in the game. It was a great tilt and was just as enjoyable as any of the 8 goals the habs scored in that game.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  21:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess i should have waited to vote but really the two aren't that far apart! I was kinda jabbing you for the "loaded" part! At least you're willing to admit it!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  21:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too would watch the same amount probably - assuming that the overall physicality of the game did not go down due to fighting having such a harsh new penalty. Would players stop contacting each other altogether to avoid the run up of emotions that lead to fighting?

I got used to no 2-line passes, delayed offside, forward hand passes in the defensive zone, smaller goalie pads, and new rules around blindside hits - I'm sure I would adapt if fighting were eliminated too.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  03:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to think of myself as a true hockey fan, I have played since i was 5 years old that makes for 18 years of organized hockey, I have played at a reasonably high level Junior A and senior Elite (both of these league only give a 5 min major for fighting so in a sense fighting is "allowed") I have coached Batam AA and Sport Etude (a program in quebec where kids do a half day at school and another half learning a sport in this case hockey) so i know my way around a rink lets just say..

My stance on fighting in hockey is simple and clear and i think many members including Slozo and FER have stated a similar opinion about fighting in our game (if i am wrong FER and Slozo please let me know)

The only time a fight should occur on the ice and the only time I find a fight as a part of our game is when it happens in the heat of the moment. One of those Moments when cooler heads do not prevail and two grown men so amped up on the energy and adrenalin that they drop em and have at it, Think Iginla Lecavalier in the Stanley cup final years ago is the most famous example i can think of, if only these kinds of fights were tolerated we should only see 40 or so a year, the guys fighting will be hockey players and not heavy weights or professional fighters and i am certain this would limit the amount of injuries caused by fighting,

To police fighting even furthur i would love to see a 10 min penalty for fighting and an optional game misconduct coming with a minimum of 1 game suspension if the ref deems one player was not a willing combantant or it was as wel call these days a staged fight,,

this my friends is a NHL i would probably watch just as much if not more

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  06:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasty - that's close to my opinion, but I would never couch it in those terms.

For me, you can never take away the occosional fight that may happen from any physical sport - fights happen once in a while in basketball, soccer, Rugby, football, etc . . . but they are punished appropriately, and the culture/acceptance of it from a management and league level is zero tolerance.

The playing field or arena is for just that - for the game, for playing the game. Fighting just isn't part of that, and the rules are clear.

So my opinion is that fighting needs to be punished more appropriately, that's all. I understand Beans is trying to make a point here with the lifetime ban thing for fighting, which is obviously extreme, and which almost no league with physical play would do. But yeah, make it "5 for fightin" means 5 minutes in the sin bin AND a 5 game suspension, and now you are talking. Fights would be as occasional as in football.

As others have sai, not sure if I could watch more hockey . . . wife would kill me. But I'd make a cogent argument for it!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  16:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no more no less. the surprise here is the 16% who would stop watching hockey all together.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Guest4649
( )

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  17:57:25  Reply with Quote
Are u kidding get rid of fighting get rid Of Hockey In general as is Today's game is as boring as watching Paint Dry.. Ban fighting Ban the NHL..
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  19:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4649

Are u kidding get rid of fighting get rid Of Hockey In general as is Today's game is as boring as watching Paint Dry.. Ban fighting Ban the NHL..

So, you must be joining the Leafs, Flames, etc on the golf course in a few weeks then? I mean, no sense watching playoff hockey if that's your opinion! Think about it, after your round, you can go watch UFC 1,237 or whatever number they're up to now?
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  22:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4649

Dang straight!!!

Ban the Olympic Hockey Tournament, ban the World Junior Championships, ban College Hockey(who cares if that was the start of the sport), hell, ban Women's Hockey too! Those broads all fight like girls anyways!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page