Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Corey Perry - To repeat or not to repeat Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  14:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Corey Perry will win the Rocket Richard Trophy for most goals in a regular season. Does he have true potential to repeat next year?

Choices:

Yes - He truly is a goal scorer
No - This was a lucky season

Guest9915
( )

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  14:56:17  Reply with Quote
I think the question is difficult to answer, so the poll results may vary a bit. I voted yes, he could repeat. I don't think he will though. He's a very talented player and is a true goal scorer IMO, . Could he repeat? Yes, of course. If the league goes the way it did this year again. Ovechkin has under performed, Crosby's been out for three months, Stamkos shut down for the second half... If that happens again, I think Perry could easily win the Rocket. If these players keep healthy and perform the way they're expected to, one of them will probably win it. Perry may not reach 50 goals again, but he'll score a lot because yes, he's got the potential to and yes, he could very well repeat if other players have an off year.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  15:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that this was a lucky year for him. I think he is a good goal scorer but I don't hink he is on the level of Ovechkin or Iginla. He will consistently hit 30 and have a couple bigger season's but none like this year. So my answer is that I don't think he has the potential to repeat unless the entire league is off. Kind of like this year.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  15:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about repeating as the Richard winner, but 50 goals? I can't see why not.

He has improved his numbers each year overall, he is only 25, Getzlaf 25, and Ryan 23. That is frickin' scary!

I would think a healthy season from these young guns together, and almost anything is possible statistics wise.
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  15:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winning the Rocket is different than geting 50 goals, this year Ovi, Crosby and Malkin were hurt/didn't play "as good as expected" therefore the race for the rocket this season might have been a bit changed.

As for scoring 50 goals, i agree with FER, this line have a demential potential and if they keep playing together for a few season who knows what can happen!!

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  16:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say he can. I'm not saying he's a better scorer than guys like OV, but with a full year with those linemates, why can't he go higher?
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  18:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to say he can't or won't win it again, but a healthy Crosby has proven he is leaps and bounds above every other player in the game in all facets. I would say barring injury the Richard is Crosby's to lose for the next several yrs.

In youth we learn; in age we understand
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  19:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mario, it all depends on Crosby. If he comes back from the conncusion as good as ever Perry will have quite the task of repeating.

Bring back the Jets!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5886
( )

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  09:35:19  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freddyboy

Winning the Rocket is different than geting 50 goals, this year Ovi, Crosby and Malkin were hurt/didn't play "as good as expected" therefore the race for the rocket this season might have been a bit changed.

As for scoring 50 goals, i agree with FER, this line have a demential potential and if they keep playing together for a few season who knows what can happen!!

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care

Demential? So they've got the potential to have their brains deteriorate and forget everything. Awesome.

Crosby will get hit in the head again and miss half of next season, Ovechkin is going to keep putting up mediocre (by his standards) numbers, and Stamkos... Well, who knows about Stamkos.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0850
( )

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  10:38:58  Reply with Quote
No way...ovi Crosby and Mallon all had down years...stamkos also has a better shot
Go to Top of Page

Guest8420
( )

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  10:40:33  Reply with Quote
I am in no way saying he is no extremely talented, but with many of the huge stars either not playing up to par or battling with injuries, the competition was maybe less difficult than previous years. As much as I like Corey Perry, i'm afraid this might be another Jonathan Cheechoo situation (have a great season, so previous seasons pale in comparison). I wish Corey perry the best!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  11:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8420

I am in no way saying he is no extremely talented, but with many of the huge stars either not playing up to par or battling with injuries, the competition was maybe less difficult than previous years. As much as I like Corey Perry, i'm afraid this might be another Jonathan Cheechoo situation (have a great season, so previous seasons pale in comparison). I wish Corey perry the best!

I couldn't disagree more! Perry is a stud. He's been a winner wherever he plays! Pure sniper, with all around game. Cheechoo? pffffttttt, don't even go there!
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  12:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Guest 8420 your comparison to Cheechoo is a little off & indeed only time will tell. Had you compared him to Jeff Carter then I would concur. Cheechoo won the Rocket, that was his one yr of significance; the only reason teams kept gambling on him to find the magic again. Enough said about him!

Carter has won since jrs, solid two way player, defensively reliable & challenged for the Rocket a couple yrs ago. He has since scored 30 - 40 goals; a legitimate two way player. Corey Perry was drafted the same yr and has taken slightly longer to reach his potential. That said like Carter, he just wins & he knows what it takes to win.

This is by no means is a one & done season. As i re-itterated earlier in the thread, a healthy crosby is way ahead of everyone else, but a healthy Perry will always give you a 35+ goal scorer & 80 - 100 pt season.

Any Gm or ducks fans complaining?

In youth we learn; in age we understand

Edited by - Mario 66 on 04/09/2011 19:20:11
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  11:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't say he won't get 50 goals again - in fact he could put up a 60 goal season sometime in the next 4 or 5 years. but that said winning another Richard depends on the health of Crosby, Ovetchkin, Malkin. Winning the Richard in a season in which those guys missed parts is kind of backing into it.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  11:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0850

No way...ovi Crosby and Mallon all had down years...stamkos also has a better shot

Mallon? who is that?
Go to Top of Page

Guest8149
( )

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  20:49:41  Reply with Quote
Mallon is a cross between Malkin and Falloon. Both 2nd overall picks - one a bust, the other a bonafide NHL star.
Go to Top of Page

Ovechkin fan
Top Prospect

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  10:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he will not because ovechkin had a slow year but will take over next year

Free
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  11:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think he does have true potential to repeat as the Rocket Richard trophy winner, frankly. In fact, as much as I think he has potential to get 50 goals again, I doubt it'll happen.

What had to happen for him to win?
Stamkos had to flame out and go cold the last two months - ice cold. He basically had it wrapped up until then.
Crosby had to end the season due to concussion.
Ovechkin had to have his worst goal scoring year of his life, on a newly constructed "defensive" Caps team.
No other potential past or future snipers had a standout year (Carter, Kovalchuk, Nash, Daniel Sedin, etc etc).

All the right things had to be in place for Perry to win, and he hit 50 on the nose, after going on an incredible tear for a two month period of time.

That is very, very unlikely to happen again.

I say he never hits 50 again, and never wins another Rocket trophy.

Enjoy it, Perry!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  11:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the Rocket as Slozo makes some great points about his competition faltering this season and all the stars alligning, but i think he'll be a 50 goal guy again. Maybe not next year, but at least another 50 goal season, and maybe more, in the next 5-7 years as long as he continues to play with Getzlaf.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page