Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Edmonton - First Draft Pick Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8416
( )

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  06:08:45  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who do you think the Edmonton Oilers will pick with their first pick?

Choices:

Adam Larsson
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Gabriel Landeskog
Sean Coutorier
Jonathan Huburdeau

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  15:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there should be a: give pick away option
because that's what I think they should do
Go to Top of Page

Guest0750
( )

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  09:44:56  Reply with Quote
they are looking at 6 players, and if they say hopkins has vision like wayne, i have a feeling they are not trading the pick away, althought there is no clear number 1.
Go to Top of Page

FutureKesler
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  22:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For starters..... WHY WOULD YOU START THIS TOPIC NOW????? ITS THE PLAYOFFS YOU [Mod. Edit]! THE DRAFT DOES NOT MATTER RIGHT NOW. ONLY THE NHL PLAYOFFS.

CANUCKS FOR THE CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please ensure you are aware of the forum guidelines and follow them. Name calling is not permitted.

http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=32

Edited by - Beans15 on 04/16/2011 06:30:20
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2011 :  22:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jealous you won't be getting the first round pick, FutureKesler?

Joking aside, refrain from personal attacks. Anyone can post any hockey topics at any time they want. Please refer back to the forum rules here: http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2160
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  12:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy its only a matter of time before the Oilers have a powerhouse...with all those high picks it has to happen sometime.

They will most likely end up in a situation like the Blackhawks were in last year...some year into the future. In the meantime Oiler fans should have a very exciting team to watch in about 2 more years i`d say.

If the Oilers don`t make the playoffs next season, they definitely should the following year.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  13:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly no guarantee at all of a powerhouse team with a bunch of high draft picks.

There are as many failures as successes, and all the successes needed a couple of A+ talents, along with good acquisitions along the way, to get the cup. Alongside that are teams like Detroit and before this year, New Jersey.

I hear this year's draft is lacking the high end talent, but that it's deep in "B" talent . . . but it's all a dice roll.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  15:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever makes you sleep at night Slozo, but before I start talking about B level talent, I would take a look back at the history of #1 draft picks. Sure, there are a few in there that people can name like Stefan and Daigle that didn't work, but here is a list of #1 draft picks from the past 20 years. How many "B" level talent players do you see???

You are correct, nothing is a sure thing. However, a #1 draft pick is about as close as you get in the NHL. I see maybe 3 of the last 3 that one could say that are absolute busts being Daigle, Dipietro, and Stefan. I see another 3ish that did not turn out to be elite players in Hamrlik, Berard, and Phillips. The rest, or about 70% are Cup winners, Hart Winners, Olympians, Future HOFers, etc.

Yep, I am fine with the likes of you or anyone else talking about B level talent. #1 pick. That's huge.

1991 Lindros, Eric
1992 Hamrlik, Roman
1993 Daigle, Alexandre
1994 Jovanovski, Ed
1995 Berard, Bryan
1996 Phillips, Chris
1997 Thornton, Joe
1998 Lecavalier, Vincent
1999 Stefan, Patrik
2000 DiPietro, Rick
2001 Kovalchuk, Ilya
2002 Nash, Rick
2003 Fleury, Marc-Andre
2004 Ovechkin, Alexander
2005 Crosby, Sidney
2006 Johnson, Erik
2007 Kane, Patrick
2008 Stamkos, Steven
2009 Tavares, John
2010 Hall, Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  15:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke who's to say the oilers don't turn out to be a Philly, Pitt or Wash & sign their young talent to long term contracts early on avoiding a Chicago situation?

As far as this yr not being deep with elite talent maybe not, but when did Coutourier & Nugent Hopkins all of a sudden become B players? Both guys play solid two way games, one guy is a replica of the Staals the other guy has hands of gold & speed to burn. If the top Pick doesn't meet teams expectations we in Pittsburgh will gladly give you Kovalev for any of the top 4

Lets be real If you have one of the first three - 5 picks I don't think you really care how deep it is. Your just satisfied statiscally & historically speaking that your drafting the cream of the crop.

In youth we learn; in age we understand
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  18:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mario you can only sign so many players to long term contracts. If a 1st overall pick and his agent both know ( the player in question ) is going to be a great player....that player ain`t signing a 5 - 6 year deal worth 2 - 3 million per season, no way.

Sure Chicago signed their big 3 to long term deals but that left most others out the door. If you have many top draft draft picks who are going to be the real deal, theres no way you can keep them all. If your lucky you can sign most all of them for a lower salary for maybe 2 - 3 years and give yourself that window to win the cup...but thats it, as Chicago did.

This doesn`t happen very often but it did with the Hawks and the Oilers should end up in this situation one day. Its not like there just drafting high.....there drafting the very best at the top, theres no way all these players will bust. Sure a 5th - 6th pick can go either way but top 3 will pan out 90 % of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  18:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mario....i don't always understand Duke so if i'm wrong here, i apologize, but i'm pretty sure when he referred to the Oilers being in a similar spot as Chicago last year, i don't think he was referring to the "fire sale". I think he was referring to them having a solid cup contender and in their case, cup winner!

Duke, correct me if i'm wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  18:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke, first of all a rookie can not sign a contract for more than 3 years. That is the longest any initial contract can be. After that deal is done, a player can sign long term. But not rookie can sign a 5-6 year deal. It's not in the rules.

Secondly, the Oilers are doing something different than many clubs. It's called not making the same mistakes. The reason Chicago go themselves in trouble is pretty simple. The chased after UFA's and overpaid for some of them. Frankly, I love Hossa. But if I had to pick between Hossa or Ladd AND Byfuglien long term, I don't pick Hossa. I also am a fan of Campbell, but that $7+ million/season through 14/15 is too much.

Looking at the Oilers, when Hall and Eberle's class (which includes Omark, Pajaarvi, Petry, Plante, et al) are done their rookie contract the Oilers will have only Horcoff and Gilbert under contract. They will have TONS and TONS of money to spend on the right players. They can give $5-6 million/ season to their core 6-7 guys and still have $25 million to sign the remainder of the team.

Finally, let's not forget the power of the RFA contract. Hall and the boys can't just pack up and leave town after their rookie contract is done. They are not UFA's until they are 25. That means arbitration options and qualifying offers.

The Oilers are just fine when it comes to having cash for the future. The question is will their sign the right players??????
Go to Top of Page

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  00:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Duke, first of all a rookie can not sign a contract for more than 3 years. That is the longest any initial contract can be. After that deal is done, a player can sign long term. But not rookie can sign a 5-6 year deal. It's not in the rules.

Secondly, the Oilers are doing something different than many clubs. It's called not making the same mistakes. The reason Chicago go themselves in trouble is pretty simple. The chased after UFA's and overpaid for some of them. Frankly, I love Hossa. But if I had to pick between Hossa or Ladd AND Byfuglien long term, I don't pick Hossa. I also am a fan of Campbell, but that $7+ million/season through 14/15 is too much.

Looking at the Oilers, when Hall and Eberle's class (which includes Omark, Pajaarvi, Petry, Plante, et al) are done their rookie contract the Oilers will have only Horcoff and Gilbert under contract. They will have TONS and TONS of money to spend on the right players. They can give $5-6 million/ season to their core 6-7 guys and still have $25 million to sign the remainder of the team.

Finally, let's not forget the power of the RFA contract. Hall and the boys can't just pack up and leave town after their rookie contract is done. They are not UFA's until they are 25. That means arbitration options and qualifying offers.

The Oilers are just fine when it comes to having cash for the future. The question is will their sign the right players??????

To be fair, the Oilers did chase big name free agents, we just didnt get them aside from Penner. They offered Hossa something like 8 or 9 mil a year, but he turned it down to try and win a cup with Detroit, and then there was the RFA thing with Vanek, and we did land a big fish in Souray, but we all know how that turned out.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  08:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kirby, that was under Kevin Lowe. The only UFA that Tambellini chased was Khabibulin. Payed him a little much and a little long in term of his age. However, 2 years and he is off the books.

The Oilers have not chased a big name UFA for 2 off seasons. They understand that does not work.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6221
( )

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  11:10:48  Reply with Quote
They chased Heatly
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  13:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6221

They chased Heatly

Was HeatlEy a UFA?? No, it was a proposed trade. They were not trying to lure a guy here with huge money.
Go to Top of Page

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  14:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah thats true, I wasn't sure if you were including the Lowe years or just sticking with Tambellini

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. -Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  16:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be fair Beans, we as fans may not truly know if and how many big named UFAs the Oil have "chased" over the years. There could be many big names the Oil chased but because there was maybe no interest or the player got a better deal elsewhere we just never found out about it. Alot of potential deals the fans just never find out about.
Also, even with the first round pick this upcoming draft, the Oil should chase a big name UFA defensemen or even an RFA if they don't want to be picking in the #1 spot in 2012 as well. The Oil are loaded with young star talent up front but their achilles heal will be defence and goal if they don't start building there as well. They have to land a couple of key Dmen to get out the basement IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  19:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Porkchop, but I am discuss what is known. Not what is assumed.

As far as the Oilers go, yes they are missing a few pieces. However, Dubnyk had a solid season and considering the Oilers were again in the top 5 in the NHL with man games lost to injuries, the issue is not at dire as the end of the season would show. Put Whitney back in the line-up and Hemsky and Horcoff health for even 60 games and the Oilers are a better team.

But yes, still along way to go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page