Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 2 games for ryan Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  15:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob ryan gone for 2 for a skate stomp, should have been more? or less?

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  17:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm normally not a fan of the skate stomp, as its rarely a "hockey play", and in the past has occurred between plays when nothing is happening. It is usually dangerous as the skates are sharp and the leg/ankle/foot is pretty vulnerable when it happens, and can result in very serious injury.

That being said, I'm OK with 2 games for this one - Ryan clearly stomped on the ankle of the NSH player, but I don't think he intended it to hurt the ankle or in any malicious way, and was in fact during play as Ryan tried to get the puck out. Stomping on a player with your skate should be suspendable in any situation, and 2 playoff games is good - had this been regular season he probably would have gotten 5.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  18:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nuxfan....i didn't see it and haven't seen a replay, but imo, if it was intentional, 2 games is weak! How can stomping on a guy with blades on your feet not be considered extremely dangerous, stupid, malicious, etc. 5 min in my mind and perhaps more. I don't recall a guy actually seriously injuring a guy doing this but the potential is there. This seems to be punished by the severity of the injury, and that's just wrong! Imagine if he'd cut the Nashville guy and put him out for a couple months??? Think he'd still get 2?
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  18:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-fl4KpUjKs
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  19:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO Should have been more games, 4-6 games would have been more to my liking. This isn't your normal I.m just trying to move your skate out of the way, he clearly stomped on Blums foot pretty hard and his very lucky an injury was not sustained by Blum. He lifts his foot a good 10" into the air and puts his foot down with all his force. 2 games is a very weak suspension and Ryan is very lucky its not more.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2011 :  20:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think 2 games is very strong as a suspension for this, and am more than fine with it.

Myself, based purely on the fact that the dangerous kick looked like a "brain fart" play - prolonged fight along the boards, Ryan tries to kick foot once - I might have only given one game, looking at Ryan's pretty clean record before this (off the top of my head). That being said, it is a dangerous kick in hockey, it certainly was purposeful (the leg is lifted pretty high, as said) and I am ok with the NHL sending a message, especially considering Ryan's star status on the top line.

It's a dear price for a stupid move, and I am ok with that.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  09:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, would you be okay with it if it'd resulted in Blum's foot/ankle being sliced open for 40 stitches, ending his season?

That's the problem i have, because Ryan would get MUCH MORE than a couple games if that was the result.

Stomping on a guy with a skate blade is one of the most ridiculous things i can imagine!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  09:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Slozo, would you be okay with it if it'd resulted in Blum's foot/ankle being sliced open for 40 stitches, ending his season?

That's the problem i have, because Ryan would get MUCH MORE than a couple games if that was the result.

Stomping on a guy with a skate blade is one of the most ridiculous things i can imagine!

I get your point - but if that truly was the injury, the "stomp" would have been higher, more vicious, etc.

But you are right . . . 4 games might be more correct for the foot stomp. But in these playoffs alone, the fact that Ryan will miss the next two games is pretty huge, IMHO. He is certainly an impact player.

I know what you might say next - all players should be treated equally, and it shouldn't matter who the victim is, and who the perpetrator is. But in real life, of course it matters when it comes to the NHL handing out judgement . . . so I really do look at this as a positive sign in terms of suspendable offences.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  10:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see this as just dead on. I do think that Ryan was not trying to hurt Blum as Pronger or Simon were when they were suspended. However, the rules is very clear. This(along with the Stoll suspension) should send a message to the players than the brass is not effin around this playoffs.

The Ryan thing would have most likely go a fine in the regular season. 2 games is big. The series could be all but over by the time he is back.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  11:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Ryan is not a repeat offender I think two games is appropriate, but he should be on the ref's radar after this play. Extremely dirty play in my opinion.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page