Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Best / Worst Draft choices Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  21:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inspired by the Canucks drafting thread in the General thread, I though I start a best/worst draft choices of all time thread and see what comes up.

Post your best/worst choices all-time and perhaps a brief bit about why it was so good / bad.

Best draft choices would be something like deep picks who performed above expectation. Worst picks are self-explanatory - 1st overall duds etc.

For example:

Best: Zetterberg - 1999, 210th overall

Worst: Hugh Jessiman, 2003, 12th overall - a few names that came after - Seabrook, Getzlaf, Parise, Kesler, Richards, Perry. (just in round 1). Backes and Corey Crawford were in round two, Stempniak in Round 5, Enstrom and byfuglien in Round 8.

Granted, no pick is a guarantee (well, maybe some are - Crosby and Ovechkin come to mind) but you've gotta think that a guy who has played all of two NHL games (he's -1) when the draft pool was considered as one of the deepest ever is a pretty huge miss.

For reference > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Entry_Draft#List_of_NHL_Entry_Drafts (hockeydb.com has draft lists too)

Guest4136
( )

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  01:23:09  Reply with Quote
Along with Zetterberg, Datsyuk was drafted 171st overall. The Red Wings have something going on there. Arguably one of the best 1-2 punches out there and they had to wait a combined 381 picks until their names were called. CRAZY

Also, a few goalies that have become late draft steals... Henrik Lundqvist (205th), Pekka Rinne (258th), and Jaroslav Halak (271st).

Atlanta's top D Pairing were drafted five picks apart in 2003 (also after Hugh Jessiman). Dustin Byfuglien (245th) and Tobias Enstrom (239th)
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  05:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, no need to bring up the disaster that was Huge Jessiman! The so called "Hugh Specimen"...it's bad enough he ws a complete bust for the Rangers, but seeing all those names you guys listed, ouch.

How about 668 goal man Luc Robitaille being drafted 171st overall by the Kings.

6 time Vezina & 2 time Hart Trophy winner Dominic Hasek, drafted 199th overall by Chicago.

The more recent examples that come to mind are the guys aleady mentioned above, Lundqvist, Zetterberg & Datsyuk. There's been a ton of examples over the years though of star players following to 150 or later.

There's been countless busts, so i'll just stick to the team i know best. In 1999 the Rangers were supposed to have 2 superstars in the making in 1st round picks Pavel Brendl & Jamie Lundmark. Brendl in particular, was supposed to be the next Pavel Bure. I was not a fan at all of the direction they went with their first rounder last summer as well. They drafted big defensemen Dylan McIlrath 10th overall, while much higher touted blueliners such as Cam Fowler (who has an excellent rookie season in Anaheim) & Brandon Gormley were still on the table. Time will tell on McIlrath i guess, but i think they'll regret not taking Fowler.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4125
( )

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  07:38:01  Reply with Quote
Leafs drafted Antropov 10th overall in 1998. guys taken after were: Tanguay, Regehr, Biron, Gagne, Gomez, Fisher.
Antropov isn't necessarily a bad pick, but he's not a top 10 pick.

next year they took Luca Cereda (who????) 24th overall. taken afterwards were names like: Havlat, Commodore, Leopold, Anderson, Malone, Miller.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  08:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4125

Leafs drafted Antropov 10th overall in 1998. guys taken after were: Tanguay, Regehr, Biron, Gagne, Gomez, Fisher.
Antropov isn't necessarily a bad pick, but he's not a top 10 pick.

Antropov might not have develeoped into quite the players the Leafs envisioned on draft day, i wouldn't really call him a bust either as he's had a pretty decent career thus far (400+ points in 600+ games). Brad Richards was also taken after him in '98, Richards taken in the 3rd round by TB.
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  11:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick Stefan, 1st overall 1999 for Atlanta, second and 3rd, the Sedins

Bring back the Jets!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  13:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That 1999 draft has to be one of the worst ever. So many disappointments in the 1st round...

Stefan, Brendl, Finley, Beech, Pyatt, Lundmark, Mezei, Saprykin, Shvidki, Rita, Jilson, Kelman, Tanabe, Koltsov, Safronov, Heisten, Ouellet, McCarthy, Cereda, Kuleshov, Ahonen, Kudroc.

The 2nd round wasn't much better, with Jordan Leopold probably the best of the bunch.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  20:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard them mentioned tonight on HNIC that Nashville drafted Pekka Rinne in the 10th round, 258th overall in 2004. Not bad for a Vezina nominee!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4637
( )

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  05:15:21  Reply with Quote
Martin St. Louis: not drafted at all...
Go to Top of Page

Guest0750
( )

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:13:58  Reply with Quote
Rick Pagnutti, 1st overall 1967, He spent a ten-year career in the minor leagues, primarily for the Rochester Americans and Springfield Kings of the American Hockey League. He won the Governor's Trophy as the top defenceman in the International Hockey League in 1972 never played in the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0750
( )

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:20:06  Reply with Quote
actaully that whole year had on player make the NHL. from the first round.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

I heard them mentioned tonight on HNIC that Nashville drafted Pekka Rinne in the 10th round, 258th overall in 2004. Not bad for a Vezina nominee!!

Shea Weber 52nd if memory serves....

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  17:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One pick that makes me groan is Brian Lee 10th overall (I think) with Marc Staal and Anze Kopitar still available.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Guest6306
( )

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  01:24:43  Reply with Quote
1994 draft was crazy

1st round not great but had 4 future Canucks (Jovo, Ohlund, baumgartner, cloutier)

Milan Hejduk- 4th round 87 overall

now here is where it gets interesting
pretty much garbage for the next four rounds until the very end of round 8 where Craig Anderson is picked 208 overall

then in round nine
Tim Thomas-217 overall
Evgeni Nabokov- 219 overall
Tomas Vokoun- 226 overall

and then round 10
Tomas Holmstrom-257 overall
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page