Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Marchand How many games Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  20:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
how many games will marchands brutal punch followed by a very late after whistle hit on daniel?

Don't hate me because i'm Beautiful

Choices:

10-15
15-30
30+
expelsion
Im sorta nuts 5-10
i should be killed 1-5
i deserve to be burned on a stake none

Edited by - Utemin on 06/08/2011 20:01:57

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  20:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, maybe we were watching a different game. I saw Marchard clearly get his hand wrapped around the Canucks defenders face/neck when he was trying to dance around him on the forecheck. Then, I clearly watched Marchand duck under Sedin after the whistle. Now, before all the Orca blinded people jump all over me, both plays were illegal and both were penalized accordingly. However, a suspension on either play would be pathetic. By simple physicals, Sedin would not have gone junk over tea kettle when Marchand ducked unless he was intending on taking him into the boards. After the whistle. Remember that???
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  20:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may be disappointed...
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  20:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
suspension? that would be even more surprising than Rome's 4 gamer.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4007
( )

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  20:35:22  Reply with Quote
There is no way Marchand can possibly be suspended. If anything Henrik should for attempting a late hit.

If Shanahan were to suspend Marchand at this point, i think that would put a quick end to his new job!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9279
( )

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  20:46:12  Reply with Quote
Suspend Burrows, he's a biter and a rat
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose to burn you at the stake. Please, someone start the fire.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  13:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is maybe the dumbest poll ever

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  14:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never saw the play, and am hoping that the 'brutal punch' description wasn't derived from the player, purportedly being punched, having his head snap back, making it look like what has been argued , as logistically, physically and more importantly, magically, impossible.

I'm just saying.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  14:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

I never saw the play, and am hoping that the 'brutal punch' description wasn't derived from the player, purportedly being punched, having his head snap back, making it look like what has been argued , as logistically, physically and more importantly, magically, impossible.

I'm just saying.

FER, if it's the play i believe he's referring to, it wasn't even a punch. It was called a hold and was simply Marchand getting his arm up while trying to get by Ehrhoff who was coming across his body. More of a minor close line than anything, but not a punch!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  15:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no possibility of a suspension. Sorry Utemin. Here's how I saw it breakdown....

1) The initial play was just interference as he jumped over Ehrhoff and pulled his shoulder to throw him off his balance, ultimately looked like a little clothesline. No suspension there.

2) Daniel ran Marchand and he just ducked - Daniel's plan backfired. No suspension there.

3) And the minor melee afterward was sorted out nicely by the refs. No suspensions.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  15:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

2) Daniel ran Marchand and he just ducked - Daniel's plan backfired. No suspension there.

I dunno about this one. Don't get me wrong, def no suspension needed, but it was still a dangerous move to submarine a guy like that! Also, i'm not sure Daniel was gonna really run him, i mean, this is a Sedin we're talking about!!! When was the last time you saw a Sedin run a guy AFTER the whistle? Lol.

In fairness to Marchand, he may not have had time to recognize who it was, was prob expecting retaliation and all, but still not the safest / cleanest way to protect yourself. I guess what i'm saying is, if it were Burrows who did it, he'd be a cheap shot artist / douche bag!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7618
( )

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  16:01:27  Reply with Quote
This is a dumb poll, from a typical poor loser Canucks fan. I'm from Van City and nucks fans are the biggest whiners and so are the players.

"LET'S GO BRUINS"
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  17:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Egads....someone please tell me they got it.....

What else do I need to add? The punch missed his head and got him in the neck????

By the way Alex, Burrows didn't need the extra incentive last night, that classless, slashing of Thomas' stick and then the ensuing scrum he started gives him all the fodder he needs to keep his level of D-baggedness full. I haven't seen that move since pee-wee.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  17:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

Egads....someone please tell me they got it.....

What else do I need to add? The punch missed his head and got him in the neck????

By the way Alex, Burrows didn't need the extra incentive last night, that classless, slashing of Thomas' stick and then the ensuing scrum he started gives him all the fodder he needs to keep his level of D-baggedness full. I haven't seen that move since pee-wee.

Trust me FER, i "got" your jest. I assumed you still wanted an idea of what the "punch" actually was like.

As for Burrows, to each their own. When someone doesn't like someone or the way they play, it's hard to change their mind. I've always said, he's a guy you'd want on your team but hate on another team, especially a team you hate! Here's another example of what i'm getting at, if the entire series was turned on it's head, and Marchand was the one chopping at Luongo's stick, those cheering for the B's would probably be going on about what a great idea it was to try to get him off his game. Tis' the way it's always been. Hate a team, you'll hate'em for a long time and that's just the way it is.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  05:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by leigh

I dunno about this one. Don't get me wrong, def no suspension needed, but it was still a dangerous move to submarine a guy like that! Also, i'm not sure Daniel was gonna really run him, i mean, this is a Sedin we're talking about!!! When was the last time you saw a Sedin run a guy AFTER the whistle? Lol.

In fairness to Marchand, he may not have had time to recognize who it was, was prob expecting retaliation and all, but still not the safest / cleanest way to protect yourself. I guess what i'm saying is, if it were Burrows who did it, he'd be a cheap shot artist / douche bag!

Umm, when was the last time a Sedin ran someone after the play?? How about game 3 when Daniel got booted??? Don't hide behind that, 'It's the Sedin's, they don't do that stuff" ideal. Marchard was stationary or very close to it when Sedin went tumbling over. How does that happen if Sedin is not going to take Marchard into the boards??

Now, don't get me wrong. It was a dangerous play on Marchand part and I think Sedin was just taking him into the boards to give him a little chat and maybe a face wash. But let's not act like Sedin was a Saint in this case. Not even close.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  09:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
Umm, when was the last time a Sedin ran someone after the play?? How about game 3 when Daniel got booted??? Don't hide behind that, 'It's the Sedin's, they don't do that stuff" ideal. Marchard was stationary or very close to it when Sedin went tumbling over. How does that happen if Sedin is not going to take Marchard into the boards??

Now, don't get me wrong. It was a dangerous play on Marchand part and I think Sedin was just taking him into the boards to give him a little chat and maybe a face wash. But let's not act like Sedin was a Saint in this case. Not even close.

I guess you and i must have different opinions on what "running a guy" is. Sure, Daniel was prob gonna bump him and possibly have some words, but when i say "run a guy", i mean actually throw a hit that could do some damage or at least enough of one to knock a guy down. I really don't think that was Daniel's intent there but i guess we'll never know for sure. Maybe this was the first time in his life where he was gonna go all Mike Liambas on Marchand and try to end his career. Anythings possible i guess?

The part i had the prob with is the submarine tactic. Had Marchand stood up to him and dropped him like Thomas did his bro, i'd have had no problem with that. But to go low on a guy like that is dangerous, that's all i'm saying, which you appear to agree with.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  10:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go at a guy after the whistle you can't expect him to know what you are going to do, especially if you're nearly stationary (everyone knows that you'll get the worst of it if you're at a stand still) Sedin didn't have innocent intentions as you could see by his body language. Ducking under an aggressor is not abnormal and Marchand is a small guy so that is the result that you get; by the way, the biggest result was really just embarassment for Daniel. Marchand fought fire with fire and this time he won, next time it might be a different story.

On a side note, if part of Marchand's job is to be a pest then if you have an opportunity to get an opponents best player off his game because he's being a jerk then you pretty much have a golden invitation. It's not like Marchand picked Daniel out of a crowd and went after him, the golden ticket was handed to him by Daniel himself. Sedin should leave that stuff to others or be ready for the consequences (which by the way I'm sure he does accept, and good for him!) I'm not sure why some are so surprised at this.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  10:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh....i'm not surprised by it in the least, and like i said, the ONLY issue i had was the "take him out low" mentality. Granted, he didn't have time to think about it or maybe not even know who was coming, but i prefer to see a guy stand up to a guy and throw a shoulder into him at a time like that. True, nothing came of it except embarrassment to Daniel, especially IN Boston, but would we be talking differently if he blew his knee out or Daniel's head smacked the boards or the ice? Maybe? Again, not harping on Marchand, i like most of his game.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  14:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Leigh....i'm not surprised by it in the least, and like i said, the ONLY issue i had was the "take him out low" mentality. Granted, he didn't have time to think about it or maybe not even know who was coming, but i prefer to see a guy stand up to a guy and throw a shoulder into him at a time like that. True, nothing came of it except embarrassment to Daniel, especially IN Boston, but would we be talking differently if he blew his knee out or Daniel's head smacked the boards or the ice? Maybe? Again, not harping on Marchand, i like most of his game.

Hey Alex we do agree on a lot of things but I'm not with you on this one my good virtual friend. Your comment about a guy standing up and taking it is true when you're a big guy. But how come when a big guy takes out a small guy by punching him or brute forcing him it's acceptable but when a small guy uses his size to his advantage it's dirty? I find it very hypocritical (I'm 5'8" so I have experienced this first hand through my illustrious career ) Daniel went down because he was attempting to HIT Marchand and he was able to duck under the hit.

Here it is again...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06psuTFVFD4 Daniel was running him after the whistle. He paid the price for his foolish actions - all within the heat of the moment - meaning that nothing in the entire situation was premeditated and was entirely reactionary by all players. It's professional hockey. I love it!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  15:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh, i see your point and i guess if we allow hip checking in the game, i suppose this isn't much different? Or, was this clipping ? Lol.

I guess i'm just stuck on the fact that it was Daniel Sedin and i really don't think there was much of a hit coming. I can't bring myself to believe that Daniel was gonna try to throw anything serious, until i see him do it at least once! If he was gonna try to hammer him through the glass, then even better, i'd have loved to have seen it!!!

Either way, i wasn't implying that Marchand is dirty, cheap, etc, just that i feel the hit was "dangerous". I stand by what i said earlier - "In fairness to Marchand, he may not have had time to recognize who it was, was prob expecting retaliation and all, but still not the safest / cleanest way to protect yourself. I guess what i'm saying is, if it were Burrows who did it, he'd be a cheap shot artist / douche bag!"
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  16:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

....was prob expecting retaliation and all,

I do agree with this, I think Marchand was expecting it to be a big retaliation and probably jacked it up a notch. But really all he did was duck. Clearly Sedin was throwing himself at him, if he wasn't he wouldn't have gone flying like he did.

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116...I guess what i'm saying is, if it were Burrows who did it, he'd be a cheap shot artist / douche bag!"

Not by me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page