Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Canadian teams and the playoffs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  04:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The TSN panel broke down all 7 Canadian teams yesterday (you can watch it online at TSN.ca) and of the 7 teams the panel predicted only two to make a post season appearence for the 2011-2012 campagin. Here are their predictions:

Vancouver 1rst place
Montreal 8th place
Calgary 9th place
Toronto 10th place
Winnipeg 12th place
Edmonton 14th place
Ottawa dead last

What do we on the pickuphockey.com Panel think about these predictions do we agree?

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  04:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is how TSN predicts both conferences to stack up

1. Washington (Southeast)
2. Pittsburgh (Atlantic)
3. Boston (Northeast)
4. Philadelphia
5. Tampa Bay
6. Buffalo
7. NY Rangers
8. Montreal

9. New Jersey
10. Toronto
11. Carolina
12. Winnipeg
13. NY Islanders
14. Florida
15. Ottawa

1. Vancouver (Northwest)
2. San Jose (Pacific)
3. Chicago (Central)
4. Detroit
5. Los Angeles
6. Anaheim
7. St. Louis
8. Nashville

9. Calgary
10. Dallas
11. Phoenix
12. Columbus
13. Minnesota
14. Edmonton
15. Colorado

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  06:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also predict only two Canadian teams will make the playoffs, with a third one a very outside possibility.

Vancouver is a shoo-in, barring a complete disaster.

One of Toronto or Montreal necessarily has to make it in, one would think . . . my pick is Toronto, but I can see it going the other way as well.

What is very unlikely IMHO is either BOTH Toronto and MOntreal making the playoffs (really unlikely, in fact). What is almost as unlikely is that Calgary or Edmonton make the playoffs. I mean, it's possible, but . . . some magic would have to happen.

Winnipeg is surely a quite certain to miss the playoffs.

Ottawa is a lock to finish bottom 3 in the league, IMHO.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  06:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I also predict only two Canadian teams will make the playoffs, with a third one a very outside possibility.

Vancouver is a shoo-in, barring a complete disaster.

One of Toronto or Montreal necessarily has to make it in, one would think . . . my pick is Toronto, but I can see it going the other way as well.

What is very unlikely IMHO is either BOTH Toronto and MOntreal making the playoffs (really unlikely, in fact). What is almost as unlikely is that Calgary or Edmonton make the playoffs. I mean, it's possible, but . . . some magic would have to happen.

Winnipeg is surely a quite certain to miss the playoffs.

Ottawa is a lock to finish bottom 3 in the league, IMHO.

Imagin Montreal Buffalo Toronto and Boston all make the post season from the north east... that would be impressive

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  08:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could sit here until the cows come home and talk about ifs and what ifs and utopia, but I think TSN got it pretty much right on. Ottawa is completely rebuilding and are expecting the #1 pick next year. I think that is part of their plan. Edmonton has loads of young talent up front that is still quite unproven and they have a morbid defensive group today. Still developling. Calgary is going in the opposite direction of the playoffs and will struggle this season. I fully expect that team to be blown up at the trade deadline. I think Winnipeg is 2 years ahead of Calgary but still missing a number of pieces to be a competative team night in and night out. TO is full of average to slightly above average talent in a league that demands way above average talent to win. Montreal has about 60% of a quality team and get saved by having a brilliant goaltender. Vancouver is deep, deep, deep and still very talented. However, I think the loss of Ehrhoff will bite them in the junk in the end.

It would be very impressive to see 4 teams from any division make the playoffs. I know it happens, but it is rare.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  08:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Imagin Montreal Buffalo Toronto and Boston all make the post season from the north east... that would be impressive

Which is why it's so unlikely. Boston stays relatively similar in roster, although with a stanley cup win hangover and an older Thomas, they may sag in the standings. Buffalo looks very good, and improved with the new signings and a returning Derek Roy (I think they will take the division, frankly). On paper as I see it, Montreal and Toronto fight it out to both settle into 2 spots, between #6 - #10 in the Eastern Conference.

It's a grim time for Canadian teams, but hopefully the Canucks can stay a top team for a while, and both Edmonton and Toronto should steadily improve in the coming years. And Montreal always seems able to hang around the playoff picture, so look at it this way:

Better years are ahead for Canada! And with Winnipeg and their rabid fanbase . . . I am positive they will become competetive soon enough as well.

Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  08:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The TSN predictions sound reasonable. I watched the equivalent Sportsnet show and the SN panel tended to say the same things. Vancouver is fine; Montreal, Calgary and Toronto are borderline teams that might sneak into a playoff spot if they play their best; Winnipeg and Edmonton aren't likely to make it (though I think one of the guys called Winnipeg as a dark horse) and Ottawa isn't even worth mentioning this season.

For what it's worth, I don't have much to argue with in these assessments. I think that for the coming season I'm not as confident in the Rangers as most people seem to be, but I am (unfortunantely) a bit more confident in Jersey, so even if those two switch places, it doesnt effect the outcome for any of the Canadian teams. I was optimistic about the Leafs (and I still am, at least relative to recent years) but they seem to be struggling with injuries already, after only a handful of preseason games, and that's *never* a good sign. This is the best Leaf team since the lockout, but without a strong start this season will be no different than the last few.

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  10:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched it and had to agree with most of what they say. Having said that so much can happen with injuries etc so for now if everything stays status quo it is a good assessment. I agreed with their breakdown of the Oilers too.
Go to Top of Page

Guest1415
( )

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  10:19:42  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

here is how TSN predicts both conferences to stack up

1. Washington (Southeast)
2. Pittsburgh (Atlantic)
3. Boston (Northeast)
4. Philadelphia
5. Tampa Bay
6. Buffalo
7. NY Rangers
8. Montreal

9. New Jersey
10. Toronto
11. Carolina
12. Winnipeg
13. NY Islanders
14. Florida
15. Ottawa

1. Vancouver (Northwest)
2. San Jose (Pacific)
3. Chicago (Central)
4. Detroit
5. Los Angeles
6. Anaheim
7. St. Louis
8. Nashville

9. Calgary
10. Dallas
11. Phoenix
12. Columbus
13. Minnesota
14. Edmonton
15. Colorado

They overestimate nashville phoenix and dallas
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  15:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a problem with Calgary i think they will be close to as bad as the sens last season, i see Dallas being a darhorse in the west, they have a pretty good top six by any teams standards

Go to Top of Page

Guest0854
( )

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  04:05:40  Reply with Quote
Calgary and Colorado change places. Flames are just the worst. Other than that everything looks really good.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  05:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0854

Calgary and Colorado change places. Flames are just the worst. Other than that everything looks really good.

I agree the flames are 1 key injury away from being in a lot of trouble and they are already starting the season with 2 big injuries!! if god forbib Iginla goes down how is this team gonna win hockey games?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  05:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I agree the flames are 1 key injury away from being in a lot of trouble and they are already starting the season with 2 big injuries!! if god forbib Iginla goes down how is this team gonna win hockey games?

I'll tell you how: Mikka Kiprusoff. THAT'S how.

It's how formerly weak teams like the Rangers would be occasionally able to get in the playoffs (same as Montreal last year - look at what their offence did!) . . . a great goaltender, and some solid defence at times, can squeak you into the picture.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  15:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:

quote:

I'll tell you how: Mikka Kiprusoff. THAT'S how.

It's how formerly weak teams like the Rangers would be occasionally able to get in the playoffs (same as Montreal last year - look at what their offence did!) . . . a great goaltender, and some solid defence at times, can squeak you into the picture.

you re right slozo but if an ageing Kipper has a ordinary year or gets hurt........ my point is this team is very fragile in terms of depth

Go to Top of Page

dabud
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2011 :  09:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOOKS LIKE LAST YRS PREDICTIODS PATSY 7
LEAFS WILL MAKE 8 THIS YR
WHO CARES ABOUT THE REST
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  22:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Montreal is pretty hurting right now, and i hope this isn't an indication of how the rest of the season plays out. Their defense has been decimated by the injury bug already, with Markov, Spacek, and Campoli all warming the bench... Cammalleri is out for a short time.... They're playing good hockey, but not good enough to win. Price seems a bit siv-like early on, letting in some pretty week goals.
I'm usually optimistic when it comes to the habs, and i hope i'm wrong but I'm just not feeling it this year. It's still early, but it wouldn't break my heart to see Gionta and/or Gomez getting shipped out.
At least the bright spot is their young talent. Pacioretty and Desharnais look good, as does Diaz. Let's hope they can turn things around...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  06:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Boogedy,
Nothing personal, but I am SO looking forward to a year of failure for the Habs. They could still pull out a half decent season, but as you mentioned with Price, it would have to rest on him playing as he did last year when he was awesome.

Even when fully healthy, the Habs have problems scoring more than 2 goals.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page