Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Leafs - What about this year? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  10:27:51  Reply with Quote
as a Leaf fan this is hard to admit, but Beans is right.
not one team in the league (except maybe Washington?) can expect to keep winning when they're giving up 3 - 4 goals a game.
the defence has been sub-standard, and the PK is atrocious. and how they've still managed to out score their opponents on most nights even though the PP sucks amazes me. the overall team defence has to improve quickly or the Leafs are in for a world of hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  11:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to have 11 points in 8 games, but yeah the defense needs to be much better in order for the Leafs to stay above .500 There has been some good signs and things that I like but you can't keep giving up 3 breakaways to Jagr and expect to win. There is also a bunch of turnovers that are definitly unecessary.

Good : Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Steckel, Bozak, Lombardi, Gardiner, Brown, Frattin
Average : Reimer, Kadri, Komisarek, Liles, Gunnarson, Grabovski, Kulemin
Bad : Franson, Schenn, MacArthur, pp, pk, defense, Ron Wilson

*Reimer is debatable good or average.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  15:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not expecting the Leafs to make the post-season this year.

Even with the surprise start, I see Toronto as being the opposite as they have played and suspect within time, we will see that take shape.

What I mean by this, is that I see Toronto as more of a defensive team. I believe they will excel at the defensive aspect (from the forwards to the back end alike), but begin scoring less and less.

Kessel can not continue to control if the Leafs win or lose, all season. For now, he's playing above his teams abilities as a whole.

I see Toronto starting to lose more than they win, based on lack of scoring. Not winning more so than not, but with edgy defense.

As for goaltending, I'm not sold. I like Riemer. Good kid. Solid NHL start to his career. But, I see him sliding to a back-up role eventually, and, the "Monster" is not the answer.

So no playoffs for TOR, but then again, my Sens are a disaster so. :P

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  15:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

It's nice to have 11 points in 8 games, but yeah the defense needs to be much better in order for the Leafs to stay above .500 There has been some good signs and things that I like but you can't keep giving up 3 breakaways to Jagr and expect to win. There is also a bunch of turnovers that are definitly unecessary.

Good : Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Steckel, Bozak, Lombardi, Gardiner, Brown, Frattin
Average : Reimer, Kadri, Komisarek, Liles, Gunnarson, Grabovski, Kulemin
Bad : Franson, Schenn, MacArthur, pp, pk, defense, Ron Wilson

*Reimer is debatable good or average.

Only thing I would debate here is Franson, they haven't given him a chance and he played very well in Nashville. I say give him a chance see if gets his confidence back that he had in Nashville. And Komisarek is starting to look like same old Komisarek so I would look for him to slide into the Bad zone.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  16:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it strange how a guy like Komisarek can play so good for one team (Montreal) and then look so bad for another??? We saw that here with Keith Ballard last year, and although he's looked better this year, mostly it's been offensively. His defence hasn't been great and he and Kevin Bieksa have two of the worst +/-'s in the league!

A "change of scenery" is often mentioned when guys are slumping, but these guys have done the opposite!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  05:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Isn't it strange how a guy like Komisarek can play so good for one team (Montreal) and then look so bad for another??? We saw that here with Keith Ballard last year, and although he's looked better this year, mostly it's been offensively. His defence hasn't been great and he and Kevin Bieksa have two of the worst +/-'s in the league!

A "change of scenery" is often mentioned when guys are slumping, but these guys have done the opposite!

I agree for the most part, but to be fair, Komisarek has played very solidly so far this year. He seems to be more comfortable in his role, and has been lost in the headlines a bit while the team has put up a winning record. If anything, Schenn has looked average to awful at times . . . and to not think that it has something to do with the contract he just signed would be naive.

A new, big contract in Toronto seems to really weigh down these guys!

To Irvine's points:
Not so sure that the Leafs will ever become a tight, defensive team. I just don't see it. This year it looks like we are going to have a lot of firepower from the backend, but with the new faces and guys in and out . . . it's been spotty at best, sure. I see that getting better as the season progresses and new guys become more familiar with their partners, but I don't see us ever becoming one of the top defensive teams.

I don't worry about the scoring at all right now, myself. Grabo looks like he has awoken, and that second line will provide plenty of scoring punch when Kessel and Lupul cool down. What has yet to be seen is any kind of decent scoring threat from the third line, and that has troubled me, but it's early and there has been a ton of juggling lines for the bottom 6, so I will worry more later if it becomes an issue.

See, maybe it's me looking at it glass half full, but I look at our early season defence deficiencies and look at our record and I am quite pleased - being sure that the defence WILL get better as the season moves along.

When a team can still win while being far from "firing on all cylinders", it's a good sign.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  10:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Full moon out?? I agree with Slozo on Komisarek. He hasn't played poorly at all this season. Really, I don't think he was too poor last season either. His numbers did not indicate that he played well but other than him taking stupid penalities last year, he didn't play poorly. But if you think about it, those stupid penalities become irrelevant if he is +2 with 5 blocked shots and 4 hits and the end of the night which is what he was doing in Montreal.

Bottom line, just because a player gets a raise does not automatically mean they will become a better player. I think Burke overpaid at the time for Komisarek. Anyone who expected him to become a better player simply because he got paid more is stretching for something that is not there.

Same player, same performance, worse numbers. That's what I see.

As far as the Leafs performance, that I disagree with Slozo on. The Leafs defense was their hallmark on paper before the start of the season. I remember a number of people saying that Liles would be a step up defensively on Kaberle, Phaneuf was back in the saddle, a year's more experience on guys like Schenn and Gardiner, and the addition of Franson would mean a better defense. The opposite has happened at least to this point.

Also, the special teams are unfortunately typical of what the Leafs have experienced in the past few years.

I see things a little more half empty when it comes to this team. I see more potential issues than potential upside. I think it is hard to deny that this team is far closer to a sub.500 record if not for the stick of Phil Kessel. If he got hurt tomorrow, putting my Leaf fan hat on for a second I am sweating bullets. I hate putting all my team's faith on one stick.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  11:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must disagree about Komi. He had a great camp, started the season very well but in his last three games he is reverting back to the Komi that Leaf fans have seen for the last two season.
Last three games he is back to the stupid penalties because he is out of position. He is trying to do way to much again. Prime example. Getting caught out of position twice in Philly and being beat by a 40 yr Jagr whos foot speed is being compared to a 3 toe sloth.
I honestly feel that Franson or Aulie are better options then Komi. But they have not given Franson the real shot yet.
He is unmovable because of his contract. I see no immediate solution other then demotion.
I also agree that Kessel is the reason for the offence, that is obvious but I do believe Phaneuf has certainly regained some form and potential all star qualities. I said potential, do don't go jumping all over me for that. I think Phaneuf has also been a major factor.
If the Grabo line can get going again then I think Leaf fans can start feeling more excited about the team and its potential.
I am disappointed that they sent Kadri down again today, he has shown ability to create some offence even if it hasn't shown up on the scoresheet. But Frattin is showing a better two way game so its tough. Before everyone jumps on me about Kadri, I don't think he is a superstar or anything, I merely meant he has been more creative on offence then others have.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4367
( )

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  11:41:55  Reply with Quote
Phil is my point leader in my fantasy and has been since the beginning of the season....you better believe they are making the playoffs!
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  12:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO
Actually, the media in TO has made quite a big deal about the team's defensive acumen. Through the off-season, referencing the leadership of Phaneuf, the (possible) re-emergence of Komisarek, the signings of Liles and Franson, and the imminent blossoming of Schenn and Gardiner, the Leafs' D has been used as the prime source of playoff hope. Of course that has changed since. Now, it is once again Kessel who lead the Buds to the promised land. And don't blame the Monster, 'cause Reimer will be back soon enough. Difficult here to keep track of who the next saviour will be. Oh, yeah. Connoly.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.

Well, I'm not listening to the media - I'm looking at the stats. And the stats show me that TOR is tied for 3rd worst in the NHL in GA, only CBJ and OTT are worse right now. So they've been winning games on offense.

You are correct. But you missed when I said, "through the off-season", and, "Of course that has changed since". Going into the season, even on PICKUPHOCKEY, many have had the Leafs' hopes resting on Reimer and the D, while assuming that the offensive group will be much the same as in other years. A little more injury prone, perhaps.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  14:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The leafs really need to pick up their play to keep this point run going. Consistent play is their achillies heel...one period they are great...the next period i`m saying holy crap, where did they go ??

One encouraging fact is that their 2nd line hasn`t done jack - s**t so far this season....so if their first line averages out when their 2nd line picks up ( which they will ) the leafs should be ok.

Schenn has been playing below average...Kom has been having brain cramps again these last few games.

Don`t forget that their only first line center Hasn`t played a game yet...and Bozak missed the last couple too. Take away any teams potential 2 top centers ( Grabo in the mix ) and your in big trouble
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  19:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
As far as the Leafs performance, that I disagree with Slozo on. The Leafs defense was their hallmark on paper before the start of the season. I remember a number of people saying that Liles would be a step up defensively on Kaberle, Phaneuf was back in the saddle, a year's more experience on guys like Schenn and Gardiner, and the addition of Franson would mean a better defense. The opposite has happened at least to this point.

Also, the special teams are unfortunately typical of what the Leafs have experienced in the past few years.

The only defencemen that have disappointed me, really, have been Schenn and Franson to some degree. Otherwise, I think it's more about comfortability and getting to know systems and partners.

Offensively and defensively, Phaneuf has been full value - for perhaps the first time as a Leaf (it started end of last year). Very impressed with him.
Liles has been good offensively. Gunnarsson will pick it up, has to get back into the swing of it. Komisarek we agree on - he knows his role, and if he has his role down pat and gets limited minutes, he's just fine (had a fantastic night tonight in the Leafs win). Gardiner looks like the offensive defenceman of the future for certain, and because he's a rookie . . . yeah, we will give up the odd chance - I have no problem with that. Tonnes of upside.

No, like I said - the defence will come into shape as we progress into the season, and I think my lauding of our defence before the start of the season - very cautiously, as I had been bitten by that optimism before - will play out as fairly correct at the end of it all.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  19:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and did I mention?

Ho-hum, another win. On the road, against a team that was a playoff team last year.

Yaaaaawn.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  19:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The leafs totally dominated the 2nd and 3rd periods againist NYR...very impressive. Brad Richards was invisible.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  19:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Oh, and did I mention?

Ho-hum, another win. On the road, against a team that was a playoff team last year.

Yaaaaawn.

Touché. Tonight was the first real nice win the Leafs have had this year nat least tat I have watched. That is a promising win for the Leafs.

Credit where credit is due.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  21:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo - where are my royalties for your use of my "Ho HUM" expression?

By the way, in a place called Carefree Arizona there is an intersection of streets called "Ho" and "Hum". No kidding.

Anyway, the Leafs (as a native Torontonian my second favorite team by the way) are looking awfully good indeed so far, but, as Michael Corleone said,

"If history has taught as one thing, it's that you can kill anyone AND its a long long long NHL season"

You might have missed the last part in the movie, but if you watch Pacino's lips REALLY closely they clearly are whispered.

Unless the Leafs just have an absolutely exceptional year, there will be ups and downs and maybe ups and downs again. It's just the way it is. Anyone who thinks otherwise contact me as I'm offering this bet at even odds:

The Leafs will go through a 10 game stretch at some point during the season where they win no more than 3 games
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  05:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Slozo - where are my royalties for your use of my "Ho HUM" expression?

By the way, in a place called Carefree Arizona there is an intersection of streets called "Ho" and "Hum". No kidding.

Anyway, the Leafs (as a native Torontonian my second favorite team by the way) are looking awfully good indeed so far, but, as Michael Corleone said,

"If history has taught as one thing, it's that you can kill anyone AND its a long long long NHL season"

You might have missed the last part in the movie, but if you watch Pacino's lips REALLY closely they clearly are whispered.

Unless the Leafs just have an absolutely exceptional year, there will be ups and downs and maybe ups and downs again. It's just the way it is. Anyone who thinks otherwise contact me as I'm offering this bet at even odds:

The Leafs will go through a 10 game stretch at some point during the season where they win no more than 3 games

I'm with you on that - and sure, a 10 game stretch of 3 wins or less is very likely.

Hopefully it's a 10 game stretch with 3 wins and 7 OT losses, and we are ALL good here!

Honestly Andy, it's been such a long time since I could be even somewhat proud of my hockey team, that I am just itching with excitement at this squad and their potential/future. It is a long season, sure . . . but it has been an even longer past decade of non-stop losing and sucking.

A day of bright and warm sunshine can often make one forget the long winter that just passed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  18:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Andyhack?

Ho hum, another Leaf win.

Nothing special here, just a win against the Eastern Conference leaders with their back-up in net who happened to be brilliant. Yawn.

Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  05:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho-Hum a 3-2 loss to a team that if I may quote Beans would struggle to be among the best of the AHL playing their third string no less.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  06:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

Ho-Hum a 3-2 loss to a team that if I may quote Beans would struggle to be among the best of the AHL playing their third string no less.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

I knew I would hear from you in this thread, Sensfan . . . lol. Fair enough though, I will give your Sens credit - the goaltending is holding up great, and your kids are flying.

The Sens have surprised me and others mightily so far . . . we'll see how long it holds up though. Until then, enjoy the sunshine!

Go to Top of Page

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  07:58:26  Reply with Quote
anyone else see a problem with Wilson under-utilizing his entire defensive core from game to game? he seems to be relying more heavily on Phaneuff, Liles, Gardiner, and Gunarsson. last night was a prime example as he more or less sat Schenn and Komi the entire 3rd period.
i know he's trying to win hockey games, but we don't want our guys burned out by Christmas. especially someone like Gardiner. he's not used to a full on NHL schedule yet.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  14:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure the defence is not as good as what it should be yet, and yes the Leafs are winning on offence alone but I also must look at, and someone posted it here already, that they are finding a way to win. And what I see there is they are finding a way to win some games even though the D is not top notch or the goaltending has been "pedestrian". The team last year would not have found ways to win those games. So far this year they are riding the hot stick of Kessel, the play of Phaneuf, and now it looks like the Grabo line may kick it up and they are using it to win the games. Hopefully when one falls off the someone else picks up. So if its just offence now, defence later, goaltending at some point, as long as they find a way to use whatever it is to win games and not give up.

Ottawa is a great example of using what is working to win games, surely they are less talented on paper then most teams but they are finding something each game that they are doing to get the win. And like Kessel for the Leafs, Spezza seems to be the ticket. Not bad for guy who only had 10 supporters show up at the keep Spezza rally in the summer.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  15:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

Sure the defence is not as good as what it should be yet, and yes the Leafs are winning on offence alone but I also must look at, and someone posted it here already, that they are finding a way to win. And what I see there is they are finding a way to win some games even though the D is not top notch or the goaltending has been "pedestrian". The team last year would not have found ways to win those games. So far this year they are riding the hot stick of Kessel, the play of Phaneuf, and now it looks like the Grabo line may kick it up and they are using it to win the games. Hopefully when one falls off the someone else picks up. So if its just offence now, defence later, goaltending at some point, as long as they find a way to use whatever it is to win games and not give up.

Ottawa is a great example of using what is working to win games, surely they are less talented on paper then most teams but they are finding something each game that they are doing to get the win. And like Kessel for the Leafs, Spezza seems to be the ticket. Not bad for guy who only had 10 supporters show up at the keep Spezza rally in the summer.

Hey, there was at least 12 people at that rally. Mind you two were chanting go LEAFS go.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 10/31/2011 15:43:25
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Easterners up at this time? I was awaiting another "Ho Hum, another Leafs win vs arguably the greatest goalie of all time, etc, etc" posts?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  21:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No Easterners up at this time? I was awaiting another "Ho Hum, another Leafs win vs arguably the greatest goalie of all time, etc, etc" posts?

Easterners are up this late but you won't be hearing any bragging about a leaf's win from me!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  08:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nah, wasn't worth writing about Alex .. . yaaaawn.

Just another h0-hum victory on the road against a team we'll supposedly be fighting for a playoff spot with. Another win with our back-up in net.

yawn.

Nothing to see here.

Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  09:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know he's just coming off an injury, but was I the only one sad to see Brodeur play so poorly?

Probably the best goaltender to ever play the game, and he looked (with a single exception) horrible. I hope he gets his groove back, or just decides to call it a career if he doesn't.

Glad to see the Leafs still winning, especially since November is usually their bad month. Rarely do they look totally dominant, but I've yet to see a game this year where don't look like they have a decent chance to win. Also, allow me to point out that collecting 2 points tonight against Columbus will put the Leafs in 1st place overall. That obviously doesn't mean much still so early in the season, but it sure as hell is a lot higher than I expected to see them in the standings this far into the season. Well done boys.

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Go to Top of Page

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  10:08:17  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheRC

I know he's just coming off an injury, but was I the only one sad to see Brodeur play so poorly?

Probably the best goaltender to ever play the game, and he looked (with a single exception) horrible. I hope he gets his groove back, or just decides to call it a career if he doesn't.

Glad to see the Leafs still winning, especially since November is usually their bad month. Rarely do they look totally dominant, but I've yet to see a game this year where don't look like they have a decent chance to win. Also, allow me to point out that collecting 2 points tonight against Columbus will put the Leafs in 1st place overall. That obviously doesn't mean much still so early in the season, but it sure as hell is a lot higher than I expected to see them in the standings this far into the season. Well done boys.

whether it's age, or that he was just showing a bit of rust, i agree it was shocking to see him let in 5 goals. but at the same time, where was the team around him? for most of the game they seemed rather lifeless.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I brought up this point last season regarding the Devils. They were so strong for so many years, its easy to still see them as the same team they WERE.

Brodeur is getting old,,,,gone are the days of S. Stevens, S. Neid, K. Daneko, B. Ralafski...

New Jersey`s defense was just simply horrible.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched the Leafs / Columbus game. Columbus played a whale of a game but so did Ben Scrivens.

They doubled the leafs in shots with plenty of good scoring chances. When the score was 2 - 0 Toronto...it could have been 3 - 1 Columbus.

I always have the belief regarding hockey that if you have top notch goaltending on any given night.....you always have a chance to win that game.

Columbus had close to 40 shots...Toronto was around the 20 shot mark but could have had 30 or more. The leafs seem to always be looking for that 1 too many passes these days....i seen at least 10 or more times they had a shooting lane from the high slot and passed off instead of shooting...the puck then hitting something and bouncing into the corner.

Anyway it was an entertaining game and another leaf win. First overall right now, unless Pitts. wins tonight againist SJ...who would have thought.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  06:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another team that they SHOULD have beaten, and they banked the points.

So important to beat the teams you should . . . over the long haul, it makes all the difference. In the past, this was often the Leafs achilles heel . . . playing to the level of other teams. Competetive against the good teams, play like piss against the bad ones.

So refreshing to see that attitude changed, as far as I can see.

Scrivens looks like exactly what he was projected to be: an excellent prospect who just might turn out to be the starter of the future. What luck for the Leafs that their steady scoring and good goaltending at times has filled in so nicely in Reimer's absence.

Just a question here, but . . . is any Leafer, or other hockey fan out there, starting to change prognostications on where they think the Leafs finish this year? 13 games in with the record they have is much more than a fluke . . . and we see now that even with Kessel not carrying the full load on his back, it's a team with plenty of firepower.

Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  07:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll revise slightly upward and say I fully expect a playoff spot, whereas at the start of the season I wouldn't have been surprised by the Leafs finishing 7th or 8th in the East, but wouldn't have bet on it either.

The interesting thing to think about isn't so much that the Leafs are playing so well (they are, but they had stretches like this last season too) but that the rest of their division, with the surprise exception of Ottawa, isn't.

If Boston and/or Montreal continue to suck (much more likely in the case of the injury plagued Habs than the defending champs, methinks) Buffalo doesn't step things up and Ottawa's kids start to wear out (credit where credit is due, they have done surprisingly well!) then the Leafs are in a much better position than they were expected to be in even if the team didn't improve from last season.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  08:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, for one, still think the Leafs will hit some skids this year and still be fighting for a bottom playoff spot. Boston had a horrible start to the year but have looked sharper of late. NYR, TB, BUF, and and MON are also better teams than what they have played to this point. FLA, CAR, and OTT are playing well over their heads.

However, I will say this; I would be far more optomistic with the past 2-3 games the Leafs have played than the first 8ish. Not giving up 4 goals a game, keeping the foot on the gas in the 3rd period (1/2 of all the goals the Leafs have scored have been in the 3rd period), and most importantly winning without Reimer are all positive signs. For the Leafs to be winning games, quite handily I might add, without the player that most if not all assumed would be the Leafs lifeline is great for the Leaf fan.

It's almost like watching the Oilers run over everyone in the West.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  10:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too will wait a little longer, and continue to "guess" that the Leafs will finish in a fight for the 8th and final spot. I too think we'll see some tough times for them, not to say that most teams don't go through some sort of slump?

I won't be entirely shocked if they end up, let's say, 7th? But any higher, would still come as a surprise for me. Ask me in another month and i may have them in the top 4 though?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  15:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Slozo the leafs are doing just fine....

This streak isn`t just 13 games hockey fans...it goes back to after the all - star game. I`ve already stated before that the leafs had the second highest point total ( in the entire NHL ) from Jan. 29 last season...till seasons end....

This great run is pretty much a 3 month stretch of winning...overlaping 2 seasons of course. I know last years points don`t mean anything but its nice to see the leafs consistent in the win department for a change.

This years team is deeper and better than last seasons. Small peices of the puzzle are finally coming together...the leafs actually do indeed have many good hockey players.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  00:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The next 12 games to finish the month of November will be a real litmus test, I think. More road games, and we play some better teams, and it starts with Boston tonight.

So far this year, Boston was our worst loss, and the Buds must put in a massive effort against what will be a desperate team to get the two points.

Likely Gustavsson in net, Scrivens has an outside shot at it but will probably back-up.

It's showtime on a Saturday night . . . let's see the next installment of Kessel vs. Seguin. Bring it on!

God I love hockey.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  14:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don`t have any faith in the Monster. This guy just seems nervous, rattled or inconsistent....whatever it is, i really can`t put my finger on it but i personaly don`t like him in the net.

Before his first win this season ( week and a half or 2 weeks ago, whatever it was )...his last win, my friend told me, was Jan. 07 / 2010.

I will be very shocked if the Leafs beat Boston with the monster between the pipes. He does make the occasional monster save, pardon the pun, but god he lets in some softies. He reminds me somewhat of Felix Potvin.

I`d like to see the leafs go with a combination of Reimer and B. Scr....give them game for game and see what happens...put a healthy rivalary for the net in play.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9260
( )

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  15:21:44  Reply with Quote
Just want to see Lucic beat the tar out of Komisarek tonight He still owes him for that cheap shot at end of game 4 Boston vs Montreal 09/10.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  17:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke
I will be very shocked if the Leafs beat Boston with the monster between the pipes.

Well, at 5-0 nearing the end of the 2nd, the Monster has his chance to shock you! Of course, it'll take at least 5 goals for him to get win at this point. Kessel and Co. better get their act together!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ho hummm............ oops

Tyler Seguin wow.

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page