Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Favourite Canadian City? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  14:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which Canadian NHL city is your favourite?

Choices:

Ottawa
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Toronto
Montreal
Calgary

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  14:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The poll is not asking what your favourite Canadian hockey team is. Just your favourite Canadian city that happens to have an NHL team. Be sure to post why.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  16:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Winnipeg, and I will tell you why:
1. Because I have lived here my whole 18 years
2. The Jets are back, and that is good for the whole country
3. All the changes happening here (The human rights museum thats being built, is going to be a world wide attraction, new bombers stadium and Jets returning, and our brand new airport)
4. The diversity and culture, with the Forks and Folklorama
5. It is an hour away from Grand Beach, one of the top beaches in North America (fact)
6. Not a big city that is overwhelming but big enough to have all the necessary commodities!

I have traveled across canada a lot and I have been to a lot of cities and I absolutely LOVE Vancouver and Toronto is very fun and here is endless things to do there,
However whenever I am gone and return, I always feel most at home and welcome in the heart of the continent. Winnipeg, Manitoba
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  17:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vancouver.

Because its freakin' awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  18:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to answer when i've only lived in one of these cities and have not even been to them all. However, having been to all but Winnipeg and Ottawa, i'll say this.........Vancouver, with it's riots and all, is pretty awesome! I think there's a reason that MANY easterners end up here!

Having said that, i absolutely loved Montreal, though i only spent a week or so there. Great city, wonderful atmosphere, a great party scene, wicked food, etc. Such a great party town, errr, city!

As much as many, myself included, gives Toronto a bad rap, it's another great city! Been there a few times and have always been impressed with the fact that there always seems to be something going on!

Only been to Edmonton once (since adulthood) and it wasn't for long, AND it was in the middle of winter! Managed to get to an Oilers game, see "the mall", etc. Don't think i could handle the winters there! We may get a lot of rain here, but the cold i just don't think i could get used to!

Calgary, has it's stampede and is another fun city, but like Edmonton, gets the nasty weather too.

Montreal and Toronto get some nasty winter weather as well, but just their proximity to the water (great lakes / St. Lawrence) weighs heavily on me. I love being near the water and Calgary and Edmonton just don't offer that up.

I'll stick with Vancouver, though i will admit, my bias is shining through!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4120
( )

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  19:53:36  Reply with Quote
I've lived in Toronto and Calgary and I've visited Montreal and Winnipeg. Of the 4, Montreal is easily the most beautiful. Jury's out, however, until I visit Vancouver.
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  23:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vancouver is a beautiful city the ocean,mountains and trees doesn't get better than that on this list!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4712
( )

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  02:51:26  Reply with Quote
Vancouver because of the mild temperature. You can go golfing or snowboarding on the same day. Absolutely beautiful women. Nightlife is pretty good.

Lots of spontaneous fun. For example, during halloween on granville, there are a ton of people dressed up. Such as a random tree, ET, legoblock man etc.

Lots of beautiful national parks.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6700
( )

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  18:02:45  Reply with Quote
I'VE ONLY BEEN TO OTTAWA,MONTREAL AND TORONTO...I'LL SELECT THEM IN THIS ORDER
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  16:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never been to Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Montreal, but out of the others I would more than likely pick Vancouver as my favorite city. It's ironic as Vancouver is my most hated hockey team, but as far as cities go it is hard to argue with the climate and everything else the city has to offer. I love the water and being outdoors so Vancouver fits for me. My least favorite city in the entire world (having travelled through some major US cities as well as Europe) is without a doubt, hands down, by a landslide Toronto. I can't stand anything about that place. There is this arrogance that is so open it is hard to ignore. The only good thing I can say about TO after more than 10 trips to that place is the HHOF is amazing.

Calgary is my 2nd least favorite city. It's Edmonton with fewer golf courses. There is nothing that Calgary offers that Edmonton doesn't but there is also certain arrogance about Calgary where they sure think they are better than everyone. However, Calgary does have a much closer proximity to the mountains than Edmonton does but if that is not your thing than it brings no value.

I was born and raised in Edmonton so I have a heavy bias as others have openly stated when speaking of their own hometowns. However, Edmonton gets a bad rap mostly from people who either have never been here or have not been here a lot. Edmonton has so many things that people don't hear about from a great music and theatre culture to amazing outdoor activities. I agree completely about the weather. If I had the financial means, I would not live in Edmonton through the winter. However, after travelling around enough to have a pretty good picture, Edmonton would be my summer home. Great temperate weather, 100+ golf courses within 1 hour, the best festivals in North America, and the list goes on and on.

So, from the places I have been, in order:

Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Toronto
Go to Top of Page

Guest4380
( )

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  19:41:38  Reply with Quote
I have lived in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver. I have visited Winnie, Edmonton and Montreal several times each. Heres my take:

Best Food:
Montreal (hands down), then Vancouver followed by Toronto and Calgary slips into fourth. The others shouldn't be considered unless you only eat Beavertails, then Ottawa can be considered and wins.

Best Culture (most to do, activities, etc):
Toronto... by far. No runners up here. I guess Montreal is a distant second and Vancouver rounds out with a bronze.

Best Nightlife:
Montreal, Toronto, then Vancouver.

Best Drinkers:
Edmonton, Winnipeg, then Calgary.

Best Looking and Most Fit People:
Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa

Nicest People:
If you don't speak french - Ottawa, Vancouver, then Winnipeg (Montreal last but Edmonton's steroid fueled Tapout morons make that a close one)
If you do speak french well - Ottawa. In this case, you will be treated well in Montreal in English and not spat at or run over by the Francophones, so Edmonton is by far the worst).

OVERALL (there are a million other factors too)... Montreal is the sickest Canadian city - its fun, it has great culture. Vancouver follows it up based mostly on proximity to Whistler. Toronto runs a suuuuper close third thanks to superior weather to Montreal (and WAYYY better than the 9 months of gloom and rain in Vancouver) the amazing festivals and culture and its legendary cottage country. The other cities are all great too and don't forget Halifax, Hamilton, and Saskatoon! Yup, I said the Hammer, its really changing... check out Hess Village when you visit (then leave quickly haha)

-- All this is to say I currently live/work in Vancouver and love it. My honest opinion - if you haven't experienced the greatness that our amazing country has to offer, get off your ass and go have some fun. Ps - if you read this far you are literate so you probably didn't vote Conservative last election... well done, you're part of the solution.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  00:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as long as i can pick up a case of beer for a reasonable price at a grocery store, corner store or gas station any city is fine by me but the idea of beer stores that chrage 40 bucks fo a 24 of beer trumps anything good about that city!!

but to be fair i don't really like any city and i will never for any terms live in a city or even a suburb or town,,

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  02:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4380

I have lived in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver. I have visited Winnie, Edmonton and Montreal several times each. Heres my take:

Best Food:
Montreal (hands down), then Vancouver followed by Toronto and Calgary slips into fourth. The others shouldn't be considered unless you only eat Beavertails, then Ottawa can be considered and wins.

Best Culture (most to do, activities, etc):
Toronto... by far. No runners up here. I guess Montreal is a distant second and Vancouver rounds out with a bronze.

Best Nightlife:
Montreal, Toronto, then Vancouver.

Best Drinkers:
Edmonton, Winnipeg, then Calgary.

Best Looking and Most Fit People:
Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa

Nicest People:
If you don't speak french - Ottawa, Vancouver, then Winnipeg (Montreal last but Edmonton's steroid fueled Tapout morons make that a close one)
If you do speak french well - Ottawa. In this case, you will be treated well in Montreal in English and not spat at or run over by the Francophones, so Edmonton is by far the worst).

OVERALL (there are a million other factors too)... Montreal is the sickest Canadian city - its fun, it has great culture. Vancouver follows it up based mostly on proximity to Whistler. Toronto runs a suuuuper close third thanks to superior weather to Montreal (and WAYYY better than the 9 months of gloom and rain in Vancouver) the amazing festivals and culture and its legendary cottage country. The other cities are all great too and don't forget Halifax, Hamilton, and Saskatoon! Yup, I said the Hammer, its really changing... check out Hess Village when you visit (then leave quickly haha)

-- All this is to say I currently live/work in Vancouver and love it. My honest opinion - if you haven't experienced the greatness that our amazing country has to offer, get off your ass and go have some fun. Ps - if you read this far you are literate so you probably didn't vote Conservative last election... well done, you're part of the solution.

What if we did read this far and are literate and are a card carrying Conservative?

I like your assesment of the cities, I live in a rural area about 25min south of Montreal along the U.S boarder, I regualrly am in Montreal for work and pleasure (by regualraly i mean over 4 times a week)? I think one of the greatest gifts my Father ever gave me is a Love and respect for this great Country and it's diversity and yet their are as many strong similarities all Canadians share that is somewhat overlooked at times (french Canada included) And i do not know if you have been to Quebec / Montreal recently but i strongley believe French and English Canada is becoming more and more of a non factor the old mindset of `us and them" is quickly evaporating in my generation (I am 24)

I have yet to visit the territories but i am very luckey and pround to say at some point in my life i have been to every Canadian Province, and love this country from end to end

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Guest6966
( )

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  03:34:11  Reply with Quote

Montreal is the most exciting city by far.It boasts the best restaurants,culture.The Churches are incredible.Montreal has a warm feeling that is welcoming yet an intangible feeling of Europe.Old Montreal is a breathtaking view of OLD WORLD,CRISSCROSSED WITH MODERN FASCILITIES.
It makes you want to return and never leave....Montreal Les'Glorieux...Thank you/Merci
Go to Top of Page

Go_Habs_Go
Rookie

157 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  06:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I easily pick Montreal ! The culture is insane (a big artistic scene, a lot of museums, etc.), familiar with europe, it has the greatest restaurants in north america, second to new york (witch is a much bigger city), and the best nightlife in at least Canada. Fact : the legal drinking age is 18...The old port is amazing, the city center is beautiful, the parks are everywhere. It has 4 universities and more than 200 000 (some are form other countries, and don't count as montreal permanent residents) university students (population 1.4 million), which gives us a young and educated population. We have seen post-doctoral studies on how the montreal canadiens are a religion for the montrealers, showing how much hockey is important for us.

Otherwise, I've seen Toronto and Ottawa. Toronto is pretty nice, but you get around pretty fast i think. Ottawa (sorry...) sucks.

Go habs Go

"Bon point Jacques!" - Benoît Brunet
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  08:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great question!

I've been to each city, and frankly, every one has their own charm and positives.

I voted it as a tie between Toronto and Montreal, with a tie between Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa for second place. Really though, you can't go too wrong in each of these cities.

Toronto - Huge city with all the ethnic food, sights/attractions and entertainment you can handle. Bad public transport, and expensive though.

Montreal - Very large city with tonnes of culture, loads of sights/attractions and great entertainment, plus a nice little old city. All of it would make Montreal #1 no problem without the occasional and everpresent rudeness towards non-french speakers, and even sometimes towards the marginal french speakers (like myself).

Calgary - Beautiful, clean city with real fresh air and the mountains close by . . . but it's expensive, and otherwise a bit bland in terms of attractions and entertainment (see: full of country music and cowboys).

Vancouver - Very large city with beatiful seaside scenery, has plenty of entertainment and sights to see nearby, and friendly people. It does rain a lot though, it's very expensive, and it's got a downtown with some seriously blighted areas.

Ottawa - Small but very beautiful city, lots of nice scenery and enough sights to see. A bit short on the entertainment unless you include Hull, in which case you are good to go. A bit short on overall things to do/see in comparison to the others, and the winters are chilly!

Edmonton - It's an oil town, literally and figuratively. It's a small city that is SO spread out, it takes forever to get anywhere and you never want to take public transport. Not much to see or do, although there is stuff there. Downtown is a few streets worth of bars and entertainment really, that's it, and it's a bit rough and rude around the edges. Of all the cities mentioned, worst winters probably are here.

Winnipeg - Cold, windy, bleak. High crime rate, and it can be a rough city. Hardly any attractions, and the entertainment is pretty one-dimensional: full of hole-in-the-ground bars. Not exactly a place where people CHOOSE to go, for the most part . . . although, I can say - very friendly people.

So, I voted Toronto overall, but really it's a tie for me between TO and Montreal, with the caveat that I also quite enjoy Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest8698
( )

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  10:05:07  Reply with Quote
This is a nice love fest, Vancouver would be even better if you could get rid of all the dam hippies,Winterpig yuck when it aint' freezing the skeeters will eat you alive,Edmonton lets all go to the big mall and on long weekends they have the lady beard growing contests,Montreal to many amphibians,Toronto center of the great lakes sewer what can you say about a team that hasn't won the cup since 1967 loserville,Ottawa not much you can say I think they have a river,Which brings us to Calgary great place everyones got tons of money if the flames don't win no big deal we'll just go for a tropical vacation or to our recreational properties in the interior of B.C, MONEY sure does make the world go round.I hope Quebec city does get a team it is a very beautiful place.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  11:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edmonton - It's an oil town, literally and figuratively. It's a small city that is SO spread out, it takes forever to get anywhere and you never want to take public transport. Not much to see or do, although there is stuff there. Downtown is a few streets worth of bars and entertainment really, that's it, and it's a bit rough and rude around the edges. Of all the cities mentioned, worst winters probably are here.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with nearly everything with the exception the comment the worst winters are probably in Edmonton and that Edmonton is an oil town. This, in my opinion, is comments of something that has spent either very little time in Edmonton or has not been to Edmonton in the last 4-5 years.

Let's break it down:

It's a small city that is SO spread out, it takes forever to get anywhere and you never want to take public transport.

Edmonton is over 1 million in population. That's a similar size of Calgary and the 6th largest city in Canada. Geographically speaking, Edmonton is only marginally larger than Calgary. As far as getting around, this 'it takes for every to get anywhere' comment is not even close to the truth. Edmonton has spent over $5 billion on infrastructure to improve public transit and roads. Specifically, the Anthony Henday ring road. I would challenge any other city in Canada for the ability to go from one corner of the city to another in 20 minutes. Secondly, public transit in Edmonton is still missing a key east/west line; however the North/South line has expanded greatly in the past 3-4 years. That's crappy public transit also can clear out 60,000 people from the 2nd largest stadium in Canada in less than an hour.

Not much to see or do, although there is stuff there.

If you were to make comments about the lack of proximity to a large body of water or the mountains than I could not argue. However, Edmonton has virtually everything any other in Canada has today. Please provide me a list of things you think Edmonton does not have than any other city does have. I'm sure there are a few such as the Olympic facilities in Vancouver and Calgary. But that list is far shorter than you think it is.

Downtown is a few streets worth of bars and entertainment really, that's it, and it's a bit rough and rude around the edges.

Again, a comment of someone who has not been to Edmonton in some time. That 'few streets' is closer to a 25-30 block radius of residential living, shopping, dinning, arts and culture (art gallery, theatre, live music venues, etc) to go along with the few streets of bars that are there. That is another thing the city of Edmonton has improved in the past 3-5 years.

Is Edmonton a bit rough around the edges?? Maybe, but no more than any other city I have spent time in. As far as rude goes, I would tend to agree with that partially as well. However, Edmonton is no ruder than anywhere else.

Edited by - Beans15 on 11/14/2011 14:25:19
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  14:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Montreal and Toronto are probabley the best to visit along with Vancouver but I would never want to live in either of them way to crowded and Montreal just smells awful. Likewise Ottawa may not have the best tourist attractions but it is a great city to live in. As much as I hate their hockey team Vancouver is definately my favourite city.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  16:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, i think you're right about those comments coming from someone who hasn't been there lately. I have not been to Edmonton in over 10 years and therefore didn't comment a whole lot, however, i have a good friend who moved there less than a year ago and said he loves it. Yes, the winters are cold, but some prefer that to the rain we get here. I personally don't mind the rain so much as i think the positives of our fairly nice summers outweigh dealing with the rain, as well as the fact that i prefer snow to stick to the mountains and ski areas. I need not deal with shovelling my driveway and driving in the snow more than once or twice a year!

That is the most difficult thing with a question like this. It's a great question, but very difficult for people to answer unless they've spent ample time in more than one or two of these cities. Still love it here with the mountains, the ocean, close proximity to the border/Seattle, very close to the okanagan which is a fantastic summer and winter spot with tons of golfing, wineries, ski resorts, lakes, etc. On the negative side, VERY expensive to live anywhere near the heart of Vancouver. Our real estate prices are frickin' ridiculous and continue to be driven up by the asian market. We have thousands of offshore owners purchasing up the expensive properties throughout the city and driving prices up so that young families can no longer afford to live where they grew up and are forced to move further anf further out into the burbs. That, and the rain, are the two biggest negatives around here, aside from Stanley Cup riots, shaky, expensive goaltending AND a lack of Stanley Cup parades.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  05:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - I was last in Edmonton . . . 3 years ago? 4? I remember I was even putting it out there to you at the time I was going through town, but you were travelling elsewhere yourself.

Dude - I also disagree with almost everything you said about Toronto, and disagree with most of what you said about many of the other cities as well.

It's called an opinion. Deal with it.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  05:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Slozo, if you were in Edmonton 3-4 years ago you would have not been here for many of the improvements of Edmonton. Not sure if you noticed in both of my previous posts where I said many of the improvements have been recent. Perhaps you were too focused on your response to recognize that. Perhaps you were in town for a few days on business on January? Who knows.

And it is an opinion. Deal with people disagreeing with it and learn how to defend it. Do you notice when people disagree with an opinion they will provide the details as to why? You last post was basically, "I disagree, deal with it."

What is that catch phrase of yours again? Oh ya, "strawman" argument.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2926
( )

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  08:46:53  Reply with Quote
beans unless edmonton has done some major work on transit and pretty much everything else has been revamped in the last year and a half, i'd say you really have rose colours glasses on, i lived there for 3 years and the people are rude and only care about money, the transit is disgusting, and the city is so spread out that you have another town inside of edmonton, that is called bad city planning, but this is my opinion, and the the Lrt just goes in a straight line who's brilliant plan was that, and yes i know it has expanded but it still expanded in a straight line, maybe whe you guys built the new rink you will fix that or atleast that was the talk when i left a year and a half ago.
Go to Top of Page

BucketHead
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  08:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest2926 was me.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  09:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buckethead, I never said that the LRT line is perfect and clearly stated that is sorely lacking an East/West Line. However, if you could appreciate that in the last 2 years the LRT line has expanded from one stop and the University to 5 additional stops south to 23rd avenue than (as you lived here) you would recognize the improvement in the system.

I also never said the city planning is great but the improvements are also making that better. Again, if you know the city, you would also know that the Anthony Henday is now open from Manning Drive on the north east side of the city. That is 75% around the city with the only missing piece a bridge over the North Saskatchewan to complete the circuit. I can also tell you that from my house near that north east Henday/Manning drive link to Gateway Blvd which leads directly south of the city takes me 18 minutes in rush hour. I can also tell you that from my office on 17th street in the far south east side of the city to 231 st which is the far west side of the city takes about 25 minutes.

I am in no way saying the traffic is perfect. There are roads that are better than others and you do need to know some shortcuts to maneuver through downtown properly. But how is that different than any other city???

It's just annoying how people make generalized statements that are not purely opinion based who really have no clue. It's not like people are being factual about Edmonton and saying it is something they do not like. They are making comments about Edmonton that are fact based and the facts are simply wrong.

Finally, people are rude and only care about money??? Tell me a city in the world that does not have people like that. Seriously, you make that comment about Edmonton and I could say that many would suggest that attitude is far more prevalent in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal than it is in Edmonton.

Go to Top of Page

BucketHead
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  09:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will agree to disagree, like i said it is my opinion, you view the city in a very different way than me, but i will say that i am not a fan of big cities as a place to live, where i am now is to big, so that may make my view very different than yours.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  10:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we do not have to agree to disagree at all! If you dislike big cities than anything in Edmonton would not be to your liking. That is an opinion that is based on your personal preference and not fact at all. How can I disagree with that??

I will agree to agree with your opinion.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  10:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edmonton is NOT a big city, folks. If Buckethead comes from the sticks and calls it a big city - fine, it's his prerogative. But that doesn't make it a big city, Beans.

If you want to see the beauty of Edmonton, talk to the people lining up for the liquor store at 9am on a Sat morning . . . just some awesome folks there!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  17:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Edmonton is NOT a big city, folks. If Buckethead comes from the sticks and calls it a big city - fine, it's his prerogative. But that doesn't make it a big city, Beans.

If you want to see the beauty of Edmonton, talk to the people lining up for the liquor store at 9am on a Sat morning . . . just some awesome folks there!

Just out of curiousity Slozo, if 1,000,000 people in one location is not a big city, what it?? I don't think anyone was calling Edmonton a similar size city to Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal, but is Calgary a big city??? If they are, so is Edmonton.

And yes, those poor unfortunate souls who are lined up at 9am at a liquor store in Edmonton are some pretty 'awesome' folks. I wonder if any other place in Canada has anyone like that?? Certainly not the beautiful city of Toronto...........
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  22:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto may not have any of those "unfortunate souls" Beans, cuz they all end up out here in Vancouver because our climate is far easier to handle whilst living in a refridgerator box or under neat a bridge! I'm serious, i think i've said it before on here, we get a ton of Easterners out here because it's actually possible to live thru a winter out here without a roof over your head!

Something i noticed, one or more people suggesting Edmonton's winters are prob the worst? Is this true? Worse than Winterpeg? I've never been to the Peg, but isnt' the winter there even worse than Edmonton???
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Alex - Vancouver is the "bum" capital of Canada (Victoria as well, sort of). One of the knocks against it, despite its many attractions.

Interesting point on the winters - thinking more deeply about it, I'd prefer a winter in Edmonton over Winnipeg, but just barely. It's the wind, for me . . . gotta be one of the windiest cities ever, the Peg, and in the winter, stories of guys scratching their ears off due to frostbite are not rare. Brrrr!

At any rate, it's close to a tie between Edmonton and Winnipeg for worst winter, and probably followed by Ottawa, which does get quite cold temps.

But what many people are failing to mention when talking about Vancouver's great weather is the constant rainfall . . . it's just as depressing as the 5 hours of daylight Edmonton gets during their winter, IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  10:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why yes Alex, the winters in Winnipeg are worse than Edmonton. Statistically speaking. However, since some people had a poor travel agent and spent a weekend in a bad part of town on a preticularly cold period of time, Edmonton as a rule is complete garbage.

That being said, saying Edmonton's winters are not as bad as Winnipeg is not saying they are still not extreme at times. I think the perception that Edmonton is an ice cube from November to March is not true. However, there are between 8-12 'times' that are usually 3-4 days each of extreme cold (-35 or colder) and a lot of snow. However, the other time during the winter are warmer than -20 and pretty decent is you enjoy outdoor winter activities.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  12:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am personally not a fan of Calgary winters - I hate chinooks, they mess things up. You have snow, then it melts with a chinook, then the water re-freezes when the cold comes back, and repeat. Plus they wreak havoc on your sinuses. Having lived significant portions of my life in both Edmonton and Calgary (before Vancouver), I'd take an Edmonton winter over Calgary - cold weather is an easy thing to get used to and combat. Wild short-term swings in weather suck.

As to Vancouver's weather - although the winters are generally rainy, we really have 2 months of severe rains (mid Nov-mid Dec, and March). The rest of the winter has rain, but not as much, and we do get our fair share of clear and cold days (by "cold" I mean "just below zero"). But even without the rain its generally overcast, and can be pretty gloomy.

However, we do make up for it with 3 or 4 months of nonstop sunshine and warm-but-not-stifling summers
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  09:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming late to the party here, but I had to weight in on the Canadian citys I am familiar with.

Ottawa I have only visited a few times. Both times I was impressed with the Culture and History of the City. This is my favorite team but not my favorite city with an NHL team. Although I am sure to go back for a Canada Day celebration or (I hope) a Heritage game on the River against Toronto.

Vancouver for all its sunny skies, beautiful view of downtown, is not a place I want to raise my family. Between the drugs crime and the population increase of Hong-couvers and other such nationalities is fastly becoming the most non Canadian/Canadian city. Prices of housing has risen to the point where I wouldnt consider a home here. I would consider Kelowna/Osooyoos area, which has most of the same advantages with lower home values.

Toronto I havent lived in since I was a kid in the suburbs of Burlington and Beaumont. I have to say I love the trees and old neighborhoods with beautiful homes and pools. I have lots of familiy in the area, but find most of them have moved out to Alberta for many numerous reasons. Some go back but most stay. I have heard the 401 is the worst major roadway, but again I have had no recent visit.

Never visited Montreal, although it is on my bucket list. I am certain I would love it there, based on everything I hear about the city, Culture and Heritage.

Winnipeg is the most beautiful city I have been to, but has lots of bad elements. I would love to move back or visit for my summers here, as between the Rivers, Forts and Culture are by far my favorite memory as a child. I'd take the Winnipeg winters over Edmonton anyday, but I'm a fan of deep snow and loved playing hockey in the streets. PS dont leave your bike unattended, I lost 10+.

Edmonton is nice in the summer horrible in the winter. And Beans, I live and work here in the Golf and Automotive industry. Downtown is brutal with a sprinkle of culture, whereas White ave is and should be the centre of culture for Edmonton. Roadways, while improved still are quite poor. I travel at all times of the day across the city and would pit a trip across Calgary's Ring Road to the Anthony Henday at any time of the day.

Which brings me to Calgary. Hard for me to admit it this is my favorite Canadian hockey city. From the Downtown View throughout the City, to the Bow River, Princess Island park, the Zoo, the Stampede, the Moutainview, 1 hour drive to large lakes, a great public transit system which spans the whole of the city N/E/S/W. Cost of living is mid pack and the outlining areas are beautiful. If you dont enjoy the repreive of a Chinook +15 weather, surrounded by mostly -15 weather, this wouldnt be your favorite winter city.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  10:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA I'd take the Winnipeg winters over Edmonton anyday, but I'm a fan of deep snow and loved playing hockey in the streets. PS dont leave your bike unattended, I lost 10+.

Wow, you're a slow learner!!
Go to Top of Page

BucketHead
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  12:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beans, you forgot the windchill is always about -35 since the wind doesn't let up.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  06:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly a really a tough question, everyone will have a certain bias if one of these cities is there home or is home to their favourie team.
Like others on this site I have been to each city listed several times and all within the last two years. (I do a lot of travel with work). I stay longer in some then others so my opinion may be more slanted because of that.
I like each city for different reasons and I could write an essay for each reason so I will just tell you my favourite and try to stay away from negatives for other cities.

Vancouver is my favourite city. Water, mountains not far, border city, usual canadian attitude, good activities, can all be found in Van. For me I just enjoy being Vancouver more then the other cities.

Now, Beans, I find the comment about open rudeness in Toronto be far more then anywhere in the world. I too have travelled many places, too many places to list here. Torontonians certainly think their city is bigger then what it really is but there is no such rudeness to others. Have you travelled to London, England or Paris, France. How about anywhere in Italy? How about New York, Chicago, LA, or perhaps the city in the US notorius for being rude to outsiders, Boston. London and Paris really stick out to me for rude people in fact you will likely get told to F-Off if you ask for directions. The other cities I listed, and I visit them somewhat often, have far more air of eliteism and are far more rude in nature to visitors then TO has ever been in my experience. I would go a little farther to say that Montreal has far more rude people then TO. Now I must also state the Montreal is easily my second favourite Canadian city because of its euro flare and culture.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  06:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Chop, hope you enjoyed Mexico. To the point at hand, what are you talking about?I said there was an open arrogance in Toronto that is hard to ignore. I never said rude. I have been to many of the cities you noted including both Paris and London and I would agree that as a generalization there is more of a rude atmosphere in those places than Toronto.

Intrestingly, no one has disputed the arrogance (generally speaking) in Toronto. Yet the only thing people have seem to agree on is that Edmonton's cold. It was -35 with the wind chill. This city sucks!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  07:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Beans, I took arrogance as being rude. Arrogance, yes TO has an air of arrogance as being the best, biggest Canadian city. Certainly there can be bragging about being the biggest but the best, well thats a matter of opinion.

I too also agree that Edm is cold, crazy cold and it is one of the reasons it is also not my favourite Canadian city. I love the blue collar atm in Edm, the fact that Edm is a sports fanatic city and there is literally great sports bars everywhere. Again I may be slanted a little because the Oil are one of my favoured hockey teams, mostly because of the Gretzky days but I still try to watch Oil games when they are on after the Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  14:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of right now, EDM is my most hated city, not just in Canada, but in the entire world. That will change once the Lions beat the Eskies tomorrow, when i will return to not detesting the frozen tundra Edmonton!

Just a temporary hate!
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  15:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ricky Ray all the way!

The Eskimos WILL win the Grey Cup in 2011.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page