Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Getzlaf and perry - to trade or not to trade? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9145
( )

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  10:21:27  Reply with Quote
So I acquired Getzlaf around the 4th round of my points only pool's draft thinking that was a massive steal - and by all means it should have been. I later made a trade that shipped away ovechkin, havlat and Kaberle for perry, hossa and enstrom. I thought perry would be the big fish in that trade for me, yet he hasn't even cracked 30 points. Gezlaf is my lowest scoring forward who at this rate will be eclipsed by defenseman soon enough, and perry is second last. We're almost at the seasons midpoint and I'm wondering if I should ship the underperforming stars away while they still have some value or keep them and hope for a miraculous bounce back.

To give some context, here's my roster:

M. Hossa
J. Toews
C. Perry
R. Getzlaf
A. Kopitar
S. Weiss
J. Tavares
Z. Parise
J. Benn

E. Karlsson
J. Carlson
R. Suter
K. Yandle
K. Shattenkirk
J.M. Liles / K. Bieksa (dropped liles for bieksa for now as he's been put on IR)

J. Quick
H. Lundqvist

I also sit at second place in the pool, 26 points behind the leader. So, any suggestions as to what to do with the ducks? Obviously, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  12:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming you're in a single season points only pool.

The Ducks are puzzling this year - I honestly don't know what to do with Getzlaf/Perry. On the one hand, if they continue like this both players will be flirting with career lows in points. On the other hand, if they do turn things around in the second half and make a push (as they did last year), then you have to figure that Getzlaf and Perry will be at the forefront of that charge - and you don't want to miss those points. Remember how Perry did in the second half of last year, going from a subpar season to winning the Richard trophy.

IMO they have no more downside (how much worse could it get), and plenty of upside - so if you're already in second place with them performing as they are, perhaps you just want to sit tight. Ultimately it would depend on who you could get in return for them - anyone is tradeable. But be ready for lowball bids on those players.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  13:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i`m in somwhat the same posistion as you and i think we should stay the course, i only have Getlaf, but have St Louis and E. Staal that were my three first pîcks and are all underperforming. Like you i have been hovering around 2nd and 3rd lately and as of now it`s kinda a three horse race in our pool as 1rst 2nd and third we are all within 3 points of each other and change places on a nightly basis and 4th place is 22 points back from us, and 8th is 40 points back.

So far guys like Lupul Nugent Hopkins and my Goalies Luongo and Schneider tandom have kept me near the top, i have guys like E Staal St Louis Geztlaf Parise and recently aquired Cammalleri who i am betting are all gonna turn it up and push me over the top when they get hot,, i do not believe any of those guys (except cammy) will score under 70 points this season even with the slow start ...

in conclusion as long as you re in striking distance of first i d keep them because i think the chances of them turning it up are way better than not

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  13:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prior to the season, i had Ryan Getzlaf in the running for the Art Ross Trophy. For him to be sitting at 25 points through 36 games is a huge disappointment!

If it was me, i'd still hang on to him though. He's capable of breaking out at any time. I thought he had turned a corner recently when he put up 10 points in a 7 game stretch, and 16 points in 16 games overall...but he's followed that up with 4 or 5 games in a row without a single point!
Go to Top of Page

canucks1187
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  14:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would keep Perry he will turn it on soon don't worry. He killed it last year in the second half so don't let him go. I agree with the others if your in second not by much with Getzlaf and Perry both under performing then you have nothing to worry about.

If you were to trade Getzlaf who is available for you to get back for him???

MElderfield
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  20:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked st louis and realized it was not my turn, my brother picked st. louis to spite me and left me with getzlaf. That one still hurts.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9145
( )

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:47:09  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what I've been counting on nuxfan, a second half push from the ducks, who although might not be playoff bound, surely must be able to do something - a team with the RPG line, three monsters, should not be doing this bad. I too was hoping for at least 70 points from the both of them. I have a winning roster, all I need to put me at the top is for them to start producing or ship em off for someone who is.

The current trade I was thinking of was the two ducks and Stephen Weiss for Marian gaborik (or possibly Patrick sharp) and Logan couture, and afterwards pick up either evander Kane or Ryan kesler off waivers. Another possibility would be those three for Jason spezza and pavelski or marleau or pominville and again claim one of Kane or kesler. Decisions decisions... Any suggestions guys?

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  10:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to assume your pool is very small, like 4 or 5 teams? No way in the world should you have been able to get Perry AND Getzlaf in the same pool especially after Perry's big year last year. Getzlaf, 4th round???

Anyway, to your actual question, i'd stick with the Ducks guys and i too expect them to have much better 2nd halves.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  12:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got Getzlaf 7th overall in an 8 person pool and felt very lucky to get him there.

Something is going on in duck land. Those guys are much better than that. No one ever knows what is going on behind the scenes in some of those locker rooms.

If anyone thinks that all those high paid personalities do indeed get along with each other all the time....well i think they are sadly mistaken.

Anyone who has played any team sports knows, success only goes as far as team bonding. I personally believe the ducks have issues beyond hockey and its showing on the ice.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9145
( )

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  21:01:47  Reply with Quote
@ Alex : There's actually 8 people in the pool aha. Unfortunately (or not, depending on perspective) only about 3 of us actually know how to draft, make good trades, and build a winning team. The others aren't very good at all. My friend who's first made good drafting but also made horrendously lopsided trades like getting gaborik and erhoff for krejci...

But yes I got Kopitar in the third round and Getzlaf right after, as well as karlsson and tavares in the late rounds. I later realized no one had even drafted mike Richards and Jamie benn and was able to claim them off waivers. I guess you could say I'm lucky that I have at least hockey knowledge as opposed to that of my friends :p
Go to Top of Page

Guest4522
( )

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  08:50:16  Reply with Quote
i have the same problem with getzlaf, i got him in a steal of a 7th round draft pick, but hes underacheiving and idk what to do with him, im considering dropping him, but i would have to pay for his drop, and we play with salary cap, i would consider trading him but the best center i could get off of someone is tomas plekanec, and the best free agent center is spezza but hes too expensive, any information would be helpful, also, i have sheldon souray and hes injured but there is no other defensemen i could take at his price, shoiuld i wait it out or try to get someone in a trade for example michael del zotto???
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  11:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4522

i have the same problem with getzlaf, i got him in a steal of a 7th round draft pick, but hes underacheiving and idk what to do with him, im considering dropping him, but i would have to pay for his drop, and we play with salary cap, i would consider trading him but the best center i could get off of someone is tomas plekanec, and the best free agent center is spezza but hes too expensive, any information would be helpful, also, i have sheldon souray and hes injured but there is no other defensemen i could take at his price, shoiuld i wait it out or try to get someone in a trade for example michael del zotto???

i'd grab mike D. Z. in a heart beat, but his lack of pp time is abit of a bummer.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  12:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9145
The current trade I was thinking of was the two ducks and Stephen Weiss for Marian gaborik (or possibly Patrick sharp) and Logan couture, and afterwards pick up either evander Kane or Ryan kesler off waivers. Another possibility would be those three for Jason spezza and pavelski or marleau or pominville and again claim one of Kane or kesler. Decisions decisions... Any suggestions guys?

I would not trade away both Getzlaf and Perry, but certainly would be willing to trade one of them away in exchange for something more. My thinking here is purely around hedging my bets - if ANA turns it around, you'll still have a piece of the action when they both succeed, but if they do not turn it around you got rid of half your deadweight.

I'll assume that your pool scores standard, 1 point for either goals or assists (if there is an accelerator for goals, I'd keep Perry). If you could trade away say Getzlaf or Perry, and Weiss, and get any 2 of Couture/Sharp/Spezza/Marleau in exchange, I would do it.

Regardless, if you cannot trade either of them, I would still consider dipping into your waiver pool and picking up Kesler - I do believe that he's going to have a great second half, he finally seems to be over his surgery woes and is playing like his old self again, so watch the points begin to roll in as he plays top PP with the Sedin's and on a solid second line. However, note that I am a Canucks fan, and therefore somewhat biased, so take it for what it is.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  22:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4522

i have the same problem with getzlaf, i got him in a steal of a 7th round draft pick, but hes underacheiving and idk what to do with him........

WTF? How can you say he's underacheiving if you got him in the 7th frickin' round??? I'm seriously getting tired of hearing about some of these ridiculous picks! Who in the world are you guys doing hockey pools with??? IF, and that's a HUGE if, you're serious and you picked him in the 7th round, you'd be a certified nutbar to get rid of him now considering his upside. If you're posting these things to get a rise out of guys like me, well done.....
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  12:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Alex..agree, i wish i could get some of those guys in my draft pool with my friends in those rounds....not likely.

Guest 9145, you say you have hockey knowledge as opposed to your friends...but then state that Mike Richards wasn`t even drafted in your pool !!!!

I guess you missed him too in that case :)

Can i play in your pool next season ?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  16:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9145

I would not trade away both Getzlaf and Perry, but certainly would be willing to trade one of them away in exchange for something more. My thinking here is purely around hedging my bets - if ANA turns it around, you'll still have a piece of the action when they both succeed, but if they do not turn it around you got rid of half your deadweight.

I'll assume that your pool scores standard, 1 point for either goals or assists (if there is an accelerator for goals, I'd keep Perry). If you could trade away say Getzlaf or Perry, and Weiss, and get any 2 of Couture/Sharp/Spezza/Marleau in exchange, I would do it.

Regardless, if you cannot trade either of them, I would still consider dipping into your waiver pool and picking up Kesler - I do believe that he's going to have a great second half, he finally seems to be over his surgery woes and is playing like his old self again, so watch the points begin to roll in as he plays top PP with the Sedin's and on a solid second line. However, note that I am a Canucks fan, and therefore somewhat biased, so take it for what it is.

Geztlaf was my first round pick 8th overall and i thought i was getting a steal,,,,, imagin 7th round i was picking J. Lupul at that point..... funny how thats worked out so far.....

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Guest4599
( )

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  00:55:49  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Guest 9145, you say you have hockey knowledge as opposed to your friends...but then state that Mike Richards wasn`t even drafted in your pool !!!!

I guess you missed him too in that case :)

Can i play in your pool next season ?

I actually didn't miss him, I drafted other players instead of him and Jaimie benn, instead opting for Mikko Koivu, Derek Roy and others when it got to the later rounds where I would have picked Richards and benn on hunches that they'd be having big years. However I later made several two-for-one deals that left me short a man. At that point I was quite happy no one else had drafted those two.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  19:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, here's hoping that you managed to hang on to those underachieving Ducks, the second half rebirth seems to be well under way now. Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Visnovsky, Hiller - all back to form as if the past 40 games didn't happen, go figure.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page