Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 SAM GAGNER - 8 point game! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest0829
( )

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  21:22:12  Reply with Quote
SAM GAGNER 8 POINTS 1 GAME?!?! THATS GOT TO BE SOME SORT OF RECORD!

Edited by - leigh on 02/03/2012 08:52:57

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3598 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  21:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is not a record, but its the first time in many years since it happened. Oddly enough, wikipedia has a page with all players scoring 8 or more points in a game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_with_eight_or_more_points_in_an_NHL_game

It has been updated with Gagner's night, the first one since 1989.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4306
( )

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  22:28:46  Reply with Quote
Wow - what an incredible game by Gagner!

I bet he wishes he could live that game over and over again! Just like Bill Murray's character in Groundhog Day!! :)
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5810 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  22:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, i think he was reading this site and seeing some people slagging him!

Incredible game. I looked at the boxscore and saw Eberle with 4pts and was pretty happy (he's in my pool). Then i see 4 and 4 for Gagner??? Wow!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4306
( )

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  22:40:54  Reply with Quote
Just curious - is this a record for the most points by one player for which they were involved in every goal scored by their own team in one game?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3598 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  22:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4306

Just curious - is this a record for the most points by one player for which they were involved in every goal scored by their own team in one game?



no.

Lemieux did it on Dec 31, 1988 (8 points in an 8-6 win)
Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  23:10:55  Reply with Quote
It is a Record actually..
Tied for most points as an Oiler with..
Gretzky(twice) & Kurri
Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  23:12:22  Reply with Quote
Edit: ^Tied for most points in a game as an Oiler..
Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  23:14:53  Reply with Quote
Edit again Lol: It wasn't Gretzky & Kurri it was Gretzky & Coffey
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  08:06:21  Reply with Quote
With Gagner's 8-point performance, he jumped 90 positions in the scoring race, from 200th to 110th. If he can do it two more times, he will jump to 20th place! :)

Amazing game! He was named the first, second and third star of the game.

Someone just missed winning $1 million. One of the game's advertisers has a contest where a contestant wins $1 million if any Oiler scores 5 goals in a game. Gagner had his 4th goal at the 14:31 mark of the 3rd period, so this person must have been on pins and needles if he or she was watching. Especially when Gagner had a great chance to score with under 4 minutes remaining, but he choose to pass to Eberle for the tap in.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5810 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  10:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4178 - First off, did they really give him 1st, 2nd AND 3rd star, or are you kidding?

Second, the million dollar thing raises a question. I've heard them say the same thing on Canucks broadcasts but it's worded "if any Canucks player can score 5 goals in tonights game, __________ "COULD" win 1 million dollars".

Now, i'm assuming that it means they have to answer some stupid 2+4-1=? skill testing question, and meet the usual qualifications (can't be employed by....blah blah, blah), but i've often wondered if that is it? Anyone recall anyone actually winning a mil on one of these things?
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
391 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
th only thing i think that hs been won by a contest similar to this is the car that was won i think ealier this year. i dont really rememebr what team it was with or where it happend but i remember it happening. ... wow my memory stinks.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3598 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

4178 - First off, did they really give him 1st, 2nd AND 3rd star, or are you kidding?

Second, the million dollar thing raises a question. I've heard them say the same thing on Canucks broadcasts but it's worded "if any Canucks player can score 5 goals in tonights game, __________ "COULD" win 1 million dollars".

Now, i'm assuming that it means they have to answer some stupid 2+4-1=? skill testing question, and meet the usual qualifications (can't be employed by....blah blah, blah), but i've often wondered if that is it? Anyone recall anyone actually winning a mil on one of these things?



the million dollar for 5 goal contest exists in several stadiums AFAIK, and it is for real I believe. The only catch I know is that it gets paid out over 20 years (50K per year).

The small print for Safeway score and win (applies to Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Jets games): http://www.safewayscoreandwin.com/rules%20and%20regulations.html
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8191 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

4178 - First off, did they really give him 1st, 2nd AND 3rd star, or are you kidding?

Second, the million dollar thing raises a question. I've heard them say the same thing on Canucks broadcasts but it's worded "if any Canucks player can score 5 goals in tonights game, __________ "COULD" win 1 million dollars".

Now, i'm assuming that it means they have to answer some stupid 2+4-1=? skill testing question, and meet the usual qualifications (can't be employed by....blah blah, blah), but i've often wondered if that is it? Anyone recall anyone actually winning a mil on one of these things?



Yes, they did give him the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd star. Something I think was completely deserved. He did something that only 12 other players in the history of the NHL have done by scoring 8 pts in one game. He also got a point on every one of his team's 8 point, which only Mario Lemiuex has also achieved. He did it on home ice in a year where there is little else to cheer about.

Alex, I appreciate you may not be questioning the decision so this message is not directed at you even though I quoted from you. This is for anyone who would think he did not deserve it. I believe he absolutely did!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5810 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, my quesion was completely serious and not meant in any sort of negative way. I really wasn't sure if they'd done that but have no problem with it either. Three stars and the awards that go with them aren't really all that big of a deal to begin with.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3598 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  13:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Beans, my quesion was completely serious and not meant in any sort of negative way. I really wasn't sure if they'd done that but have no problem with it either. Three stars and the awards that go with them aren't really all that big of a deal to begin with.



I recall the same being done during a Canucks game, I think it was for (what was believed to be at the time and turned out to be the case) Trevor Linden's last regular season game as a Canuck a few years back. Sometimes its deserving (in the case of Gagner), sometimes symbolic (in the case of Linden), but as you say, they don't count for anything in particular and its a nice way to show appreciation for someone.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5810 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blame it on the beers! That, nuxfan, is my motto for not recalling the Linden tribute, considering i was at the game!!!
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie



Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an incredible game for Gagner!

As a minor aside - the Oilers seem to have the Hawks' number - that's two huge wins in a row against them - 8-4 and 9-2 in their last game.

@Beans - Sorry about the double post earlier, I didn't think to check this sub forum for it (figured, Gen. chat, hockey history, or the Oilers thread) . :)
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
914 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gretzky was named all 3 stars for his last NHL game as well.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
814 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  16:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rocket Richard also got all three stars in a game once. Can't remember the circumstances, but apparently the crowd at the Forum got pretty ugly once he was announced as the 3rd star. When he was awarded 2nd star as well, the fans caught on to what was happening and went wild.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie



Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  19:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

Rocket Richard also got all three stars in a game once. Can't remember the circumstances, but apparently the crowd at the Forum got pretty ugly once he was announced as the 3rd star. When he was awarded 2nd star as well, the fans caught on to what was happening and went wild.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2012.



The Rocket's 8pt game was in 1944- if memory serves it was a 9-1 win over Detroit. He had 5G 3 A. He wasn't named all three stars in that game though, It was a March, 1944 game against the Leafs that the Habs won 5-1. Richard scored all five goals.

Edited by - spade632 on 02/03/2012 19:28:42
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5810 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  21:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spade.....i remember reading about Richard, and i believe you are correct, that it was after that 5 goal game where he was announced as all 3 stars!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5810 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  23:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

it is not a record, but its the first time in many years since it happened. Oddly enough, wikipedia has a page with all players scoring 8 or more points in a game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_with_eight_or_more_points_in_an_NHL_game

It has been updated with Gagner's night, the first one since 1989.



nuxfan, i only just now looked at the link here and noticed Anton and Peter Stastny both had 8 point nights, in the same game! The Sedin's better get their game together if they wanna do that! Lol. Pretty incredible.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4306
( )

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  08:30:34  Reply with Quote
The Stastnys recorded their 8-point games in the 80's. Not to take anything away from this achievement, but there were ten 8-point games recorded in the 80's, and if you include the late 70's, there were thirteen 8-point (or more) games in 14 seasons, about one a season.

As noted, the last 8-point game (before Gagner's) took place a few months before Gagner was born, so it's been nearly 23 years since the last 8-point game.

The Sedins are great players, and while I know Alex's tongue is firmly in cheek, it is very very unlikely the Sedin twins (or any other player) will record an 8-point (or plus) game anytime soon. Unless the rules change, it could be another 20 years, and that's what makes Gagner's feat so special!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5810 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  09:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4306

The Stastnys recorded their 8-point games in the 80's. Not to take anything away from this achievement, but there were ten 8-point games recorded in the 80's, and if you include the late 70's, there were thirteen 8-point (or more) games in 14 seasons, about one a season.

As noted, the last 8-point game (before Gagner's) took place a few months before Gagner was born, so it's been nearly 23 years since the last 8-point game.

The Sedins are great players, and while I know Alex's tongue is firmly in cheek, it is very very unlikely the Sedin twins (or any other player) will record an 8-point (or plus) game anytime soon. Unless the rules change, it could be another 20 years, and that's what makes Gagner's feat so special!




Very true, the late 70's and 80's was a different game, much like it comes into discussions regarding things like Gretzky's 212 and Coffey's 48 goals by a dman. I agree, without rule changes, what we saw from Gagner was special and likely won't happen again for some time.

Now, without taking anything away from Gagner, let's face it, it was a "perfect storm" kind of night. I don't want to call if fluke, as he's def got skill, but even he said, "everything i touched, went in". That's not gonna happen too often, but he found himself in the right spot at the right time!
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
575 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  10:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gomez has 7 points on the year I believe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page