Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 MTL-NSH trade Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  11:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=617470

Hall Gill is leaving Montreal to go to Nashville, in exchange Of Blake Geoffrion, Slaney and a round pick.

If Geoffrion plays 40+ game in Mtl next season, NSH gets a draft pick too

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  11:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw this and yahoo only said it was for picks and prospects but the Globe and Mail said Blake Geoffrion was involved but didn't have the rest.

Good trade for the Preds (and prob the Habs too). They not only show guys like Suter and Weber that they're planning to "go for it" by aquiring some defensive depth, they also keep gill from possibly landing with a team they may face in the playoffs!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  11:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just made a post about this as well ! Mod's, you can close mine

Like I said in my post, I think that its a great trade, but I think Nashville gave a little much for Gill.

Nonetheless, I think that Suter might be on his way out. Nashville can get some great offence for him, and that would make the Preds quite the threat!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  11:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they did as well - Geoffrion has been great every time I've seen him play, he has a bright future. Also should be a good fit in MTL given his family. Slaney I don't know much about.

Gill to NSH is interesting - the last thing they need is another defenseman, and what they really need is some up-front scoring. I can't help but wonder if getting Gill is a prelude to one of Suter or Weber getting moved... we'll see.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4052
( )

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  12:22:50  Reply with Quote
Suter on the move....maybe

I think Weber stays in NASH because he's an RFA
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  12:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't disagree more with the thought that this means a possible or likely trade of one of their big D men. To be honest though,I really can't say i see enough of the Preds to know just how good Roman Josi and Kevin Klein are but both are -11's on a team that is full of + players!

Gill brings great playoff experience and good pk abilities to the Preds. I like this deal for them and still see it as a commitment to winning and an attempt to prove to their studs that they mean it when they say they're committed to winning.

Edited by - Alex116 on 02/17/2012 12:30:11
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  19:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
suter will be a redwing
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  21:57:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by foolpittier

suter will be a redwing

You could very well be correct, but i still think Nashville "goes for it" and come summer, maybe then Detroit gets him?
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  04:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by foolpittier

suter will be a redwing

You could very well be correct, but i still think Nashville "goes for it" and come summer, maybe then Detroit gets him?

if i goes to the summer, i think weber will be a redwing
Go to Top of Page

Guest3323
( )

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  06:38:38  Reply with Quote
I may be wrong but I believe Gill is the perfect pawn for any master GM to use. There is no doubt that his size and physical presence is useful on the ice (take Boston's or St. Louis's defense for example) but it always seems to overshadow the fact that he makes far too many stupid mistakes with the puck on the ice. Gill will be gone before the trade deadline, if not this year then next.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  08:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3323

I may be wrong but I believe Gill is the perfect pawn for any master GM to use. There is no doubt that his size and physical presence is useful on the ice (take Boston's or St. Louis's defense for example) but it always seems to overshadow the fact that he makes far too many stupid mistakes with the puck on the ice. Gill will be gone before the trade deadline, if not this year then next.

Sorry, but are you saying Nashville picked him up to deal him elsewhere? Not only do i think you're under estimating his value, i think your wrong in figuring he may be gone by the deadline! Next years deadline, sure, prob even sooner seeing as he's UFA at season's end! He's a classic example of a rental "depth" defenceman, nothing more.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  10:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed Alex, fact is, he DOESN'T make alot of mistakes, he is a very smart player which is what makes up for his lack of mobility. When he first went to Montreal, I wasn't so sure about him either, but I came to appreciate him for what he DOES do.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  10:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Odin

Agreed Alex, fact is, he DOESN'T make alot of mistakes, he is a very smart player which is what makes up for his lack of mobility. When he first went to Montreal, I wasn't so sure about him either, but I came to appreciate him for what he DOES do.

Exactly! He's not a top pairing dman and he'd be hard pressed even as a 3-4. He's more suited for 5-6 mins and extra time on the PK where he fills the lane, uses his reach and his big body, etc. Look at the guys on Nashville's d after the top 2 and you'll realize he's an upgrade at the 5 spot or better.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4802
( )

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  18:22:02  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3323

Sorry guys but I have to agree with this one. Montreal got the better end of this deal. I've had roommates who were both Leafs and Penguins fans while Gill played for them and the only reason I know who Hal Gill is is because his name was always shouted out load followed by the kind of profanity that doesn't belong in this post for the stupid mistakes he made that lead to a goal against. He's been a minus for the last 3 years and for a stay at home defenseman who's sole purpose in life is to keep the puck out of the net, combined with how few minutes he plays (leaving him with very little opportunity to be out there for a goal against), it's a shock he still plays in the NHL. The one thing I will give him is that he blocks a lot of shots but it isn't because of any skillful timing or anything like that. It's because he falls down 50% of the time when he turns around to skate backwards and his height causes him to block the entire lane from his own defensive blue line to the goal line :) Nashville plays Dallas next and they should be able to handle them quite easily, especially of Benn is out of the lineup. If not, look for Gill in the highlight reels fishing the puck out of his own net.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page