Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Carter for Johnson Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  18:01:59  Reply with Quote
Everyone keeps saying poor Jack but he will be the number one d-man in columbus and they will be getting a no.1 pick (Yakupov most likely). I think it was a good trade for both clubs.

Edited by - n/a on 02/24/2012 05:03:21

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  18:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think my mother could be the number one dman in CBJ Who is this Johnon guy?

But seriously, good trade, helps both sides I think. Carter will probably do well in LA reunited with Richards (it would be something if LA went on to win the cup in the next couple of years, after PHI all but said "we can't win with them"). Johnson is a great young defenseman, will be easily top-2 pairing in CBJ and worthy of it. First round draft pick, can't go wrong with that.

As a result of this trade - sportsnet was reporting that Dustin Brown might now be available from the Kings, they have an awful lot of forwards right now. That is one player I would like to see VAN go for, if he is indeed available.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  18:26:34  Reply with Quote
Dustin Brown?!?!? Interesting! I think he's actually better than your grandmother too
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  18:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think los angeles panicked. Frankly D-man are more valuable than forwards, and johnson and carter are the same caliber player. The extra 1st rounder puts columbus over the top
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  19:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LA has a lot of defense though - you can argue relative value, but LA had defense to give, and Carter is a good addition to a team that needs help scoring, desperately. They can't continue to rely on Quick playing the lights out every night.

Its what a trade should be - both sides get something they need.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  22:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8875

Dustin Brown?!?!? Interesting! I think he's actually better than your grandmother too

LOL....good one.

I think it's a pretty fair deal both ways. Johnson came to life last year when Doughty was slumping and he's def capable of leading a team's defense. The #1 pick is the usual part we'll have to wait and see about, but what should be a mid 1st rounder, is pretty good. If Carter regains anything close to his 40 goal rate, he's a pretty good deal at a 5.2 cap hit. Hopefully for the Kings, he and Richards have matured?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  05:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's a vast overpayment by Los Angeles. I cannot actually believe the Toronto radio stations this morning, going on and on about "if that was the price, why didn't WE get him?!?" hysteria.

Maybe for Jack Johnson straight up, but . . . with the first rounder, it's too much for a guy who has a very long contract, and is a bit of an injury risk at this point.

As a Leafs fan, I am glad Burke did not deal Gardiner (the likely asking price) and either another solid prospect or 1st rounder . . . really glad. If that was what it took to get him, I agree with taking a pass on it.

Man, Columbus will really be loading up for the first rounders this year. I can assume they will want one for Rick Nash as well, or so it's been said. Fair enough, considering their drafting skill (or luck, call t what you will) in the past . . . with three or four 1st rounders, at least one has to become a star, no?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  05:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Columbus didn't very well in this deal personally. Jack Johnson & a pick that could end up being anywhere from 10th to 20th overall (if the conditional pick ends up being 2012 that is).
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  08:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

I think Columbus didn't very well in this deal personally. Jack Johnson & a pick that could end up being anywhere from 10th to 20th overall (if the conditional pick ends up being 2012 that is).

I don't know ryan, I think you're undervaluing Johnson a bit. He's a top-2 defenseman on almost any team in the NHL. 25 years old, a very large 6'1/230, good for 25 minutes a game and 40-ish points, plays in all situations. All that for a very reasonable and cap friendly 4.3M per year.

Those types of players do not come around very often. I think CBJ could have done far worse.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  09:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree that CBJ won this trade. No saying that Carter is a poor player but frankly, he didn't want to play there. So to move a player who didn't want to play nor was producing for a guy like Jack Johnson alone would have been a win. The 1st round pick is icing on the cake!! I listened to an interview with Johnson last night and he sounded excited about going to CBJ. It surprised me too, but he said a few times that he was happy to be going to a team that obviously wants him.

To echo Nux, big defensemen, can play anywhere, 40 ish points a season. Very, very young. Those guys are rare.

Carter is a good player who didn't want to play in CBJ so the fact that the Jackets got value for him is awesome.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  12:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I completely agree that CBJ won this trade. No saying that Carter is a poor player but frankly, he didn't want to play there. So to move a player who didn't want to play nor was producing for a guy like Jack Johnson alone would have been a win. The 1st round pick is icing on the cake!! I listened to an interview with Johnson last night and he sounded excited about going to CBJ. It surprised me too, but he said a few times that he was happy to be going to a team that obviously wants him.

To echo Nux, big defensemen, can play anywhere, 40 ish points a season. Very, very young. Those guys are rare.

Carter is a good player who didn't want to play in CBJ so the fact that the Jackets got value for him is awesome.

I think the part i put in BOLD above is the key. There was so much speculation that CBJ would never get the value back that it cost them to get Carter. Well, they did better than most thought they would i'd say! It was obvious to the rest of the GM's that Carter wanted out. That can make an asking price drop drastically. Lucky for CBJ, there was more than one team out there somewhat desperate for a guy who can score goals.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  21:37:22  Reply with Quote
Jack Johnson went 3rd overal in 2005 and is currently ranked 21st best defenseman on 'Top 60 Rankings'(NHL.com)
Go to Top of Page

Guest8875
( )

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  21:40:48  Reply with Quote
Rick Nash went 1st in 2002 and is ranked 18th on 'Top 40 Left Wings'
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  07:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a good trade for Columbus. They gave and aweful lot to get Carter and I didn't think they would trade him this year, because after this season I never thought they would get even close to the same value. But they did and that's why they traded him. A good solid, young franchise defenseman and a 1st rounder to top it off, not bad.

I was hoping for Toronto to go after Carter because I would like to have a big first line center but now that I see what LA gave I'm glad Toronto didn't go for him.

Now lets go after Dustin Brown :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page