Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2007 IIHF World Championships--Moscow, Russia Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hockey World Champs begin today in Moscow, and will go until May13th. Canada's opening game was against Germany, but other than that I don't know who's playing whom.

Here's the website:
http://ihwc2007.fhr.ru/

It's in Russian but if you click the British flag button that says ENG, it'll translate the page to English.

My predicted podium (based on random guesses as I have only seen the Canadian and US roster):

Gold: Russia
Silver: Canada
Bronze: Finland

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant wait! Its gonna be a good tourny, even though Crosby isnt playing Steen will lead in scoring

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah if Crosby were playing Canada would win, no question. Canada will win their group though. They have Slovakia, Norway, and Germany in their group. Norway and Germany will be a breeze, Slovakia will be a bit harder, but Canada can beat them.

The US has Austria, Belarus, and the Czech Republic in their group. The Czechs are the only viable contender in that group, the others we can beat even with our young roster. Plus the Czechs are missing half their good players because the Rangers are still in the playoffs

Russia and Finland will fight it out for winner of their group. The other two countries are Ukraine and Denmark. They should be no problem to beat.

And Sweden owns their group. Latvia, Switzerland, and Italy are the other members. The Swedes should have it easy in the preliminary round.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant wait to see the aussies play!

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  13:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Austria is playing, not Australia, lol
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  14:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Austria is playing, not Australia, lol

ah, I looked that over, I only wish I guess...

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  15:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh yeahh!

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story/?ID=205723&hubname=

6-2!! (Not that it was hard to beat Austria, but any and all victories are good). And Denmark got crushed 9-1 by Russia, Finland demolished Ukraine 5-0, and the Czech Republic creamed Belarus 8-2. Man these lesser hockey nations are getting routed. They should just have the eight dominant nations compete, it'd be more exciting (The 8 being Canada, US, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Germany). The CAN-GER game is tomorrow and I bet Canada will win by a landslide.

Schedule with results: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?fid=9753

2000th post!!

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/27/2007 15:10:36
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  15:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the first year in a long time that I do not think that Canada has a power house team like they are used to having. I still hope that they do well though

Forecheck+Backcheck= Paycheck!!!
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  15:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada should win but anything could happen(Switzerland)

and congrats on 2000

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  15:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

Canada should win but anything could happen(Switzerland)

Yeah remember the Olympics? Switzerland 2, Canada 0. But every team has their off days. I think Canada will win.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  16:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Canada will win! Congrats on the 2000th post Mik!

Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mik. Thanks for the poll idea! I posted it on the home page.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  08:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada beat Germeny 3-2 today!!!

~~~~~Great season Stars, better luck next year~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Buick92
Top Prospect

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  08:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go Canada go
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  10:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, here you go Canadians, enjoy...

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/news_story/?ID=205843&hubname=

I wish TSN would show coverage of this like they did for the World Juniors. Although, I only got to see the gold medal game on Broadband because they limited coverage of the other games to residents of Canada.

Here's Team Canada's roster: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?fid=11014&hubname=
And here are everybody else's: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?fid=10001&hubname=

'Bout time I found out who's playing in this thing, lol

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/28/2007 10:18:29
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  15:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's too bad Crosby isn't playing...I wanted to see him play against Malkin and Ovechkin, that would've been fun. Guess I'll have to wait till 2010 in the Olympics...

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/28/2007 15:45:29
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  13:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, half of these games are yawners. Austria vs. Belarus?? zzzzzz
So far all the good teams are undefeated and breeze right past the weaker teams. Their records don't start to change until they play each other. Canada vs. Sweden, Russia vs. Finland, US vs. Slovakia....that's much more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  13:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Man, half of these games are yawners. Austria vs. Belarus?? zzzzzz
So far all the good teams are undefeated and breeze right past the weaker teams. Their records don't start to change until they play each other. Canada vs. Sweden, Russia vs. Finland, US vs. Slovakia....that's much more interesting.

definitely with you on that mik

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave - win or lose. -Gordie Howe
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  14:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How cool is the arena they are playing in that place looks amazing from the outside http://ihwc2007.fhr.ru/eng/pages/?page=3

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave - win or lose. -Gordie Howe
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  14:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice. That is awesome, gotta be the sweetest hockey arena ever. It looks sort of like a hurricane, lol
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  14:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah it really does...One of the coolest looking buildings i've ever seen...and since its a hockey arena...just makes it that much better :) haha it almost looks like those diagrams they make to show the airflow up through the hurricane or tornado hot and cold air you know

Edited by - GOWINGS19 on 04/30/2007 14:27:10
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  16:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that blue ramp so you can drive up on it? It is pretty sweet.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  16:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if they had a video game placed there...thatd be the first thing i'd take a jump off of haha

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  12:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah! We beat Slovakia!! And so did Canada!

Upcoming games are Canada vs. Belarus, Russia vs. Italy, and Sweden vs. Denmark. Those should be blowouts. Can't wait until the stronger teams start playing each other, that'll be more exciting.
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  12:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya Germany!! Big 2-0 win against the Czech's!! Doin the US's dirty work for them!

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2007 :  13:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, Germany beat the Czechs?? That's new. I guess some of the supposedly easy games can go the other way sometimes. Do all the German fans yell "TOOOORRRRRRRR" like they do in soccer when someone scores a goal?
Go to Top of Page

pdhockey
Top Prospect

2 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  21:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does any1 have a subscription to the wcsn.com website to watch the games. if so could you possibly lend us hockey fans your user name and password so we can watch the games
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  09:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3-0 win for the US against Germany. Canada let in 2 goals against the Germans, we shut 'em out!

Standings so far: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?fid=10152&hubname=

Canada, Russia, and Sweden are the only undefeated teams so far.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 05/05/2007 10:02:40
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  10:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know who I think has a good team is Slovakia they have Hossa, Satan I think Visnovskey is playing to pretty good team.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  10:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdhockey

does any1 have a subscription to the wcsn.com website to watch the games. if so could you possibly lend us hockey fans your user name and password so we can watch the games

I don't have a wcsn.com subscription, but if you're a resident of Canada you can watch some of the games on TSN. I can't (), but I was able to watch the World Jrs. gold medal game so they'll probably let me watch this gold medal game too.
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  10:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

You know who I think has a good team is Slovakia they have Hossa, Satan I think Visnovskey is playing to pretty good team.

Don't forget about big Zdeno Chara!

Edited by - KariyaSelanne on 05/05/2007 10:10:05
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  16:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slovakia's team doesn't look bad, but as of now their record is 1-2. Surprising, I thought they'd do a little better, but maybe they've just been hit with the good teams and haven't played Italy and Belarus yet.

Well after looking at the scores, Slovakia beat the Czech Republic 3-2. So now their record is 2-2. They have potential, but I'd say bronze is the best they can get. I don't think they could make it past Canada or Russia, but maybe past the Scandinavian nations.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 05/05/2007 17:02:50
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  01:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
3-0 win for the US against Germany. Canada let in 2 goals against the Germans, we shut 'em out!

Standings so far: http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?fid=10152&hubname=

Canada, Russia, and Sweden are the only undefeated teams so far.

Aw man, Germany had so many chances. They are playing extremely well thanks to great coaching from Uwe Krupp. He really made a competative german team.

GO GERMANY
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  20:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pdhockey

I don't have a wcsn.com subscription, but if you're a resident of Canada you can watch some of the games on TSN. I can't (), but I was able to watch the World Jrs. gold medal game so they'll probably let me watch this gold medal game too.

Yeah Mik i'm almost positive they'll have one of the medal games on they may have the bronze game or the may have the gold silver game...whichever they choose...but i'm positive one of them will be on

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  03:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know why Czech took out Checkmanek regulation? It really surprised me because he was playing well.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  19:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saku Steen

Does anyone know why Czech took out Checkmanek regulation? It really surprised me because he was playing well.

Because they have no heart and did not care if they lost the game, as they had already advanced.

Czech hockey makes me vomit. They have absolutely no code.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  13:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the final 8 teams are...
Canada, Russia, Finland, Sweden, US, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Switzerland.

Gee I wonder why. Once again, only the countries that have hockey talent make it to the final round. It never changes, probably never will. So what's the point of the preliminaries where we just sit around and watch them blow past teams like Belarus and Italy? They should just cut the teams who suck year after year and let the decent countries play. The only exciting round is the final round, because the talented teams play each other. So they should just start the tournament with the good teams in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  14:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the final 8 teams are...
Canada, Russia, Finland, Sweden, US, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Switzerland.

Gee I wonder why. Once again, only the countries that have hockey talent make it to the final round. It never changes, probably never will. So what's the point of the preliminaries where we just sit around and watch them blow past teams like Belarus and Italy? They should just cut the teams who suck year after year and let the decent countries play. The only exciting round is the final round, because the talented teams play each other. So they should just start the tournament with the good teams in the first place.

The main reason is to define world rankings. Then, from these rankings, teams get invited to future Olympics and World Championships. I don't think it's so much that they might win as they need to be ranked at the end.

Plus, if you lives in Belarus, you'd have some guage as to where you stand in the world. Remember, Belarus messed up Sweden's Olympic dreams in 2002.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  14:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just a question do you get less points if you win in OT because Russia is 5 win 0 OT losses and 0 wins and Canada is 4 wins 1 OT win and 0 lossed and russia had 15 points canada has 14?????????

Go Leafs Go
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  15:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd guess you get 1 point for an OT win, 2 for a regulation time win.

P.S. True fly4apuckguy, I'd forgotten about Belarus' upset against Sweden. Anything can happen, I guess...
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  07:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The prelimiaries is for 8th spot. The other seven are pretty much garenteed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page