Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Leafs issue apology Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9230
( )

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  14:25:11  Reply with Quote
Apperently the Toronto Maple leafs have issued a public apology for missing the playoffs for 7 straight years. It came from the chairman of the board(whoever that is). Sounds a bit strange. What do think about it.

Edited by - n/a on 04/11/2012 05:43:09

Guest6448
( )

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  16:18:26  Reply with Quote
one word BULLs***!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  16:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is what the guest is referring to, but Larry Tannenbaum of MLSEL took out a full-page ad in today's Toronto Sun thanking the fans, and ensuring them that the organization is committed to building a winning team. Didn't read like an apology to me.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2013.
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  22:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, the Leafs officially issued an apology to fans.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/1158875--maple-leafs-say-sorry?bn=1

quote:
“The Toronto Maple Leafs are a public trust with the greatest fans in the world,” reads the letter signed by Larry Tanenbaum, MLSE’s chairman and a minority shareholder. “We have fallen short of everyone’s expectations, and for that we are sorry. We take full responsibility for how this team performs on the ice, and we make no excuses.”
< from the above article.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  05:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

I don't know if this is what the guest is referring to, but Larry Tannenbaum of MLSEL took out a full-page ad in today's Toronto Sun thanking the fans, and ensuring them that the organization is committed to building a winning team. Didn't read like an apology to me.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2013.

The apology was posted on the website, it was supposed to be different than the article they took in the sun. However, we will see how sorry, and committed to builiding a winning team they actually are at the start of next year.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  10:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..."Sorry seems to be the hardest word"... [Reggie Dwight and some other guy. Bernie maybe?]

Hardly. For us Leaf fans...winning is IN FACT the hardest word..

Sorry my arse.

Just get busy and get this "mother" hummin'. This 'year' was pitiful.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  11:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'year' was not pitiful. The start of the year was great!! The Leafs were happily in 6th place in the east through 50 games of the season. The problem was possibly the biggest collapse in a generation. That is something the Leaf players should be apologizing for, not the management team.

The Leafs were 26-19-6 on Feb 1. If they would have simply kept their pace they would have likely ended up around 41-31-10 and pushed Ottawa out of the playoffs.

That is not ownership, coaching, management, or anything else. That responsibility rest squarely on the shoulders of the players. A team who is in the playoffs at the 50 game mark and slides all the way to a lotto pick is a group of players that simple don't care enough to win.

At least that is what I watched for the past 2 months.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  06:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're sorry we sucked, 10% hike on ticket prices, suckers fill the rink.......the fans will have to change this team by not supporting it.
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  08:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The year is the year in totality...not cherry picked moments. Hell...the Leafs had 9 points after the first 5 games and led the entire league. And then? That 'swoon'...a virtual 2 MONTH crash and burn...is the answer to the question...what have you done for me LATELY? The answer? We were pitiful...and hence so was the year.

Even though those in attendance at the final game gave the team a standing 'O'...what were THEY thinking?...the far bigger crowd at the Blue Jay game the other day booed poor Lupul with gusto. [and he was one of the few who don't deserve blame]

No ticket price increases THIS time. No wonder. This was the worst year for that bunch in yeras and years. The future looks really bad. Little hope. No "wait until next year".

We'll see. Unfortunately...as shown this past 'year'...it CAN get worse. Realistically? This team isn't worth my time. Not one second of it really. But...I'll be back. [wearing a paper bag over my head.

Not since that P.R. Fat Harold have the future prospects of the blue and white appeared to be so bleak. Jeez I hope we've already pinged off the basement floor this time.

Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  08:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know lee... no one is forcing you to be a leafs fan..... i dont mean to sound like a jerk buti cant help it. if you dont like the current leafs what shame is there in cheering for a different team until they become better. who cares who calls you a bandwagon jumper. your fav team will not change it will just be on hold so to speak. i love the leafs and although i think this appology is BS it is appreciated that the organization even decided to recognize the fans.
that being said i read the burke is thinking big shake up this year through trades. wouldn't it be interesting to see kessel go with a prospect and a low pick for nash.
or phanuef go with a prospect for ryan or getzlaf.

all of sudden the number one liken would be lupul , ryan or getzlaf, and nash .
Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  08:53:12  Reply with Quote
Do you really think that would be enough to get Nash? The Getzlaf or Ryan is even more far fetched. I don't think you could put together an offer that would be enough to get Getz. Just MHO
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  09:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No...it's true. No one is forcing me to back the Leafs. Nor is anyone forcing me to be proud of what they're 'accomplishing' these days. So...I'm not.

I've been a Leaf fan since I was 6 or 7. And even though I've spent 15 years of my life NOT living in Toronto...I still pull for them. Doesn't mean I'm going to accept everything they dish out as acceptable. When they suck...they suck. When they're pitiful...they're pitiful.

If we all sang their praises in spite of FACTS...we'd be contributing to further failure. Those clowns who run the thing HAVE to know that even die-hard fans can feel a breaking point is a real possibility. This cash-cow needs to be slaughtered, sacrificed and re-designed.

There's some joke making the rounds now about requesting 6 Leafs show up as pall-bearers when *I* die so that they can let me down one last time. Some joke.

Edited by - Lee Marshall on 04/12/2012 09:32:14
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  09:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and guest i do thin that burke can pull off these trades you need to keep in mind nash WANST OUT of columbus. eventually the team will take a lower trade than they would prefer to get rid of him.
and i agree the getlaf or ryan is apipe dream most likely never to come true but it would be nice lmao.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  21:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

and guest i do thin that burke can pull off these trades you need to keep in mind nash WANST OUT of columbus. eventually the team will take a lower trade than they would prefer to get rid of him.
and i agree the getlaf or ryan is apipe dream most likely never to come true but it would be nice lmao.

And only the Leafs have interest in these players???
29 other teams would be......... Burke gonna hypnotize all of them or something? Last place will dictate these moves, and aging stars don't want last place,
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  05:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tox i wasnt saying that no one else would be interested. Burke is known because he can pull off trades people didnt see coming.

obviously anyone out of the playoffs this year would be looking for an upgrade!
admitidly i dont know much about other GMs and their ability to trade but i know burke is thinking blow up. so i am expecting something big. obviously i am not from the leafs organization so i have no idea who they are looking towards but if i had to guess these two are probably among the top 5.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  07:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burke isn't known for making trades happen that nobody see's coming he's known for making trades that everybody see's coming and getting it done anyway. To the positive or negative of his team. He basically remade the Ducks in Toronto without the winning formula from players to coaches. If he was great at making trades happen Richards, Heatley, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Johnson, Hossa, Jagr, Cammalleri, Bourque, Bryzgalov and a host of other player better than any player currently on Toronto's roster would be in Toronto. He just knows how to spin his decisions so people think he is the magician that I dont believe he is. Does he have good hockey sense yes, but he aint a magician.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 04/13/2012 07:44:56
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  08:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
soo your saying you saw lupul and gardiner coming to TOR, you saw Phanuef coming to TOR, you saw Kessel (before it happend) coming to TOR! casue i didn't........ these key moves to TOR i didnt see coming at all......

when burke was with the ducks you saw him bringing Pronger there? i sure as hell didn't

Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  08:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think you missed the point Toxxik was making. You assert that Columbus would take less than they wanted to get rid of Nash, but it sounds like wishful thinking because when 29 other teams are interested, that can do nothing but drive the price UP, not down.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  08:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

soo your saying you saw lupul and gardiner coming to TOR, you saw Phanuef coming to TOR, you saw Kessel (before it happend) coming to TOR! casue i didn't........ these key moves to TOR i didnt see coming at all......

when burke was with the ducks you saw him bringing Pronger there? i sure as hell didn't

Phaneuf highly touted by Leafs. They gave away too much imo. They got a hard nosed player who hasn't regained his rookie, 2nd year form who was a Calgary cast off with a bad attitude. Surprise, surprise made him captain. Lots of holes in his game.

Kessel although he had a great year was also highly touted for a long time by Burke and again the Leafs gave up too much and couldn't surround him with the talent.

Lupul a former Anaheim Duck was a great pickup. Give him that but that was due to former ties with the Ducks.
Go to Top of Page

Clatts
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
266 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  08:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No matter how good you think burke is at making trades he will not get Nash without gutting his entire team and even then im not sure it would be enough.

If Burke wants Getz he's going to have to ask for his old job back

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors

Edited by - Clatts on 04/13/2012 08:35:44
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  08:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i get it. 29 other teams are interested in nash. thats true but with burke thinking big blow up this year there are not many teams willing to give up their key players. i honestly think the leafs will trade kessel this year. i also strongly believe this could be part of a deal that brings nash to TOR.
and yeah i could be wrong this is just my opinion after all.
most of the other teams interested would still be shaking their heads. leaving the jackets to take the lower offer that TOR is willing to give. again i could be wrong as this is my opinion.

as for Phaneuf being highly touted by the leafs and kessel.
sure a GM may say "hey i like him lets put an offer in" that doesnt mean the other team is gona take it.
also a gm could say i like that player but he doesnt fit our mold
just being highly touted by an organization doesnt mean that player is going there.
for example i am sure everyone wants crosby but he aint going anywhere columbos has a different situation. Nash WANST OUT!

Edited by - mandree888 on 04/13/2012 09:44:08
Go to Top of Page

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  13:07:45  Reply with Quote
quote:

i get it. 29 other teams are interested in nash. thats true but with burke thinking big blow up this year there are not many teams willing to give up their key players. i honestly think the leafs will trade kessel this year. i also strongly believe this could be part of a deal that brings nash to TOR.
most of the other teams interested would still be shaking their heads. leaving the jackets to take the lower offer that TOR is willing to give. again i could be wrong as this is my opinion.

sure a GM may say "hey i like him lets put an offer in" that doesnt mean the other team is gona take it.
just being highly touted by an organization doesnt mean that player is going there.
for example i am sure everyone wants crosby but he aint going anywhere columbos has a different situation. Nash WANST OUT!

don't get your hopes up too much on Burke being able to "blow up" his roster over the summer. you do realize that most of the players currently on the roster are signed into next year (and/or beyond) as well? and that the players he would probably like to move are virtually un-moveable because of their contracts?

as for Nash.....don't make him out to be the saviour you think he'd be. especially for the price it will more then likely take to get him out of Columbus. adding a high valued veteran winger to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 7 years, and just finished in the bottom 5 of the league (for the 2nd time in the last 3 seasons), is not the right move. he'll come here and score 30 - 40 goals (asumption), but we'll still miss the playoffs. at this point you're only looking at Nash as a name. i don't think you're seeing the big picture.

as for Kessel.....i wouldn't count on Burke trading him. yes he's weak defensively. yes, he's not the big physical player that Burke covets. BUT you cannot ignore his skills, his speed, the fact that he's improved offensively every year since he arrived, that he finished 6th this year in the scoring race, and he's only 25 years old. i don't care what people think of him, he is an asset to any team in this league.
now, before i get jumped on....i should clarify that i never said he shouldn't be traded. as the old saying goes, if Gretzky can be traded then anyone can be traded. i simply don't think that Burke will trade him. not after the year he's had.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  13:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant understand a guy who thinks gutting a team, losing there best player whom they gutted the team for in the past and then getting a player whom he outperformed will help Toronto. Give your head a shake. Nash is good but Kessel is pretty much the same player.

Moving pieces to get one of the 3 players mentioned Nash, Getz or Ryan. Not all 3 in any circumstance within the next 12 months. Besides why would you want all 3 anyway? All 3 underperformed last season and are signed for heavy contracts. Draft, develop, sign a UFA.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  16:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think Burke is any more sneaky, magical, etc at pulling off unforeseen trades than any other GM. Sure, most high profile deals are usually thrown around through the rumour mill before hand, but seriously, the Beauchemin for Gardiner and Lupul wasn't exactly a blockbuster. Heck, there might have been a rumour it was coming, just that no one cared to report it! It's a deal that worked out great for TO, i'll give them that much!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  04:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still don't understand why Nash would choose Toronto with much better teams looking for him? What TO would have to cough up for him? Nash will be in Det, NY or LA before he will be in TO or just about any team who makes the playoffs consistantly.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  05:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only apology that should have come from the Leafs organization should have come from Burke himself.
Burke sold the entire Leaf fan base on this quick turnaround, he wasn't going to spend 5yrs tanking at the bottom of the League collecting lottery picks. He was going to build a truculent, stanley cup contending team in 3yrs. The Leaf fans who have only lived on hope, for what seems like forever, bought this 3 yr rebuild hook line and sinker (myself included). Burke failed miserably at that. It is for that reason Burke should be apologizing.
The players do have to take some responsibility but in the end, the Leafs were built for speed, once teams figured out how to take there speed away they were useless and there were no "trucluent" players to create that space so the Leafs could use their speed.
Somehow Burke has managed to get a couple of good assets so the Leafs can keep moving forward. Gardiner is beauty. Once people get past the price tag for Kessel, he is a valuable player for the Leafs. Lupul has been a surprise and maybe the chemistry he displayed with Kessel can be built on.
There is no need to blow up the team, just the need to realize and accept that the Leafs are heading into yr 5 of a rebuild that was promised to be done in 3yrs.

I LOVE THE OTTAWA SENATORS
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  06:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only problem here Porkchop is that the guys Randy C needs to make HIS system work aren't on the roster in numbers sufficient to make it happen. Can Carlyle modify his scheme?

Regardless the time it'll take to aquire the missing pieces which are needed will spell the end of Burke and his cut to the chase, 3 instead of 5 year plan. And when Burke goes...Randy will pay the price too. 'They're' not gonna saddle the next GM with a coach he didn't hire twice...back to back....are they?

Burke has 1 more year. I don't see him pulling anything much out of his hat between now and the beginning of the season...whenever that'll actually be. 2 or 3 changes won't be enough. [unless he lands a 6 x 4 piece of extra thick plywood to play net]

Gotta win more than press conferences. In the end...that's his forte of late. Doesn't impact the standings though.

Edited by - Lee Marshall on 04/14/2012 06:19:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page