Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Ottawa
 Ottawa's best player - you be the GM Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  19:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Let's play GM. You can pick one player off of Ottawa's team and sign him to a five year contract. Who do you take, and explain why.

Choices:

Daniel Alfredsson
Dany Heatley
Jason Spezza
Ray Emery
Chris Neil
Wade Redden
Mike Fisher
Other

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  19:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Spezza because I think he has huge offensive upside. Alfredsson and Redden are on the way down. Emery is a very good goalie, not a great one. I'm not sure he'll ever be a great goalie. Heatley is terrific, but I just think Spezza will eventually be the better player.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

D-fender6
Top Prospect

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  20:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i try to watch Ottawa the least amount of every team, becuase i cant stand them, but all in all Heatley is their points getter. Thats not all you want in a player, but its the best Ottawas got.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  21:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked alfredsson because he is always great for points...whether they are goals or assists.... and he is a plus/minus goldmine

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

juice32
Rookie

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  04:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'd deffiently take Heatley. This guy has excellent hands, aewsome shot, and a great set-up man. Plus he's got alot of years left in him!!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  06:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley. He's a goal scoring machine while playing great physical hockey.
Spezza will be a special player in a few years I'm thinking.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  07:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No love for Neil?

Go to Top of Page

Guest8836
( )

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  09:06:51  Reply with Quote
Dany Heatley - 2008 Art Ross winner
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  09:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley.

Alfie is getting to be too old to be signing to a five year contract.

Spezza will be a bigger point earner overall by the end of the five years. But if we're just picking one player, i'll take the guy that can do it all himself.

I don't know about an Art Ross trophy, but i can easily see him getting a couple Richard trophies in the next five years.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigShow

Heatley.

Alfie is getting to be too old to be signing to a five year contract.

Spezza will be a bigger point earner overall by the end of the five years. But if we're just picking one player, i'll take the guy that can do it all himself.

I don't know about an Art Ross trophy, but i can easily see him getting a couple Richard trophies in the next five years.

I can agree with all of that.

Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Ray Emery, he is finally showing what he's capable of. Of course you need offence, but in the Devils series, he was the difference. Heatley wouldn't be a bad pick either though, becuase he's a great scorer and still very young.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley. Big goal-scorer, in the top 5 point leaders.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  13:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised to see Redden on this list. I have heard many rumors that he will be traded this summer. He's a $6.5 million/ year salary and they just signed Philips and Volchenkov to extentions. Plus, Preissing is a UFA this summer. From what I hear, they figure they can trade Redden and get enough cap room to comfortable sign Preissing and perhaps Comrie without losing too much on the back end. Also, Ottawa is only about $500,000 under the current cap. They could use some room.

Strong rumors around Edmonton that Lowe is going to make a pretty serious pitch for Redden in the off season. Them and Phoenix are a couple of teams I can think of that are really deep with picks and prospects, which is exactly what Ottawa is looking for if they want cap room for today. It makes sense and I sure wouldn't complain seeing Redden in Copper and Blue!

Getting back to the topic, my vote would be Heatley. I think it's easier to find someone to set up Heatley than it is to find a sniper for Spezza. Alfredson is 33 so to give him a 5 year extension would be tough for me to do. Emery is not a franchise player either. Decent goalie, but not a franchise player.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  14:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen in these playoffs, Redden is very expendable. It's not that he's bad, he's just...average. He's still a useful player, but his "star" days seem to be gone.

On the topic of defencemen that have fallen in terms of value, I have been watching Eric Brewer at the World Championships, and I am amazed at just how average and slow he is. When did that happen? Not long ago, he was Canada's great white hope for the future. Now he looks like he can hardly keep up.

Go to Top of Page

bonfire420
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  14:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Heatley as well but I think anyone who says Emery is not a franchise goalie is wrong. He's only 25 and in his first 2 years with Ottawa he has turned them into a legitimate stanley cup contender.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  17:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi flyforapuckguy. We liked the poll so we featured it on the home page. Thanks for the contribution!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6939
( )

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  18:36:46  Reply with Quote
Alfie is the best Captain in the NHL and when push comes to shove alfredsson is always there to get the job done
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  05:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spezza - hands down. Most talent with the most upside. He's going to be a mainstay in the NHL for many years.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

Guest0776
( )

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  10:47:32  Reply with Quote
heatly the guy i s gritty, big and can score, spezza is injure prone(never gonna play more than 75 game if that)
Go to Top of Page

Guest0776
( )

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  10:50:08  Reply with Quote

On the topic of defencemen that have fallen in terms of value, I have been watching Eric Brewer at the World Championships, and I am amazed at just how average and slow he is. When did that happen? Not long ago, he was Canada's great white hope for the future. Now he looks like he can hardly keep up.

he was injured, changed him as a player.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  11:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0776

he was injured, changed him as a player.

Guest 0776. Great topic Idea, why don't you create a topic for it and start a thread. Let's keep this one on the Sens please.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  13:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's interesting that before this season Ray Emery wouldn't even have been in this poll let alone getting votes. He's had a great season and playoffs! I'd need to see Emery perform another season before I could feel confident enough for him, but he looks good!

Love Spezza and Alfie but if we're locking down for 5 years, I gotta go Heatley.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  08:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley all the way. He is one of the best players in the game today.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4624
( )

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:31:08  Reply with Quote
Alfie's getting too old to sign a 5 year deal. Heatley is the potential leader in this group I would say. I like Spezza but not the leader type. He reminds me of a surfer dude! I like Fischer to but Heatley all the way on that one.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0995
( )

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  13:57:43  Reply with Quote
I say Spezza because he's only at the beginning of his NHL career and already, he's one of Ottawa's best players. Alfie is getting to old, Heatly would've been my 2nd choice, and Emery is only OK.

Leafs RUUUUULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  18:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Hi flyforapuckguy. We liked the poll so we featured it on the home page. Thanks for the contribution!

You're welcome. I got a million of 'em!

Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  04:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked Ray Emery. Hes gonna one of the best goalies in the league and will just get better year after year.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  09:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

It's interesting that before this season Ray Emery wouldn't even have been in this poll let alone getting votes. He's had a great season and playoffs! I'd need to see Emery perform another season before I could feel confident enough for him, but he looks good!

Love Spezza and Alfie but if we're locking down for 5 years, I gotta go Heatley.

I completely agree with this. Even today, Emery is not a franchise goalie. He is the perfect example of a good goalie on a very good defensive team. I would highly doubt there is a GM in the league, if they had their choice of anyone today, would choose Ray Emery as their franchise goalie.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  14:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little surprised by Mike Fisher's 15 votes, but then again, if you watched last night's game, it makes sense. He's a gamer!

Go to Top of Page

powerlord13
Top Prospect

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  21:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Heatley. It was a easy decision, he's been a 50 goal scorer for the past two seasons and has had 100 point seasons both times. He's a star player who will maintain a pace like this for years to come and would invaluable by himself and with the help of other players. He's a well rounded player through and through.

"Death solves all problems; no man, no problem"
Go to Top of Page

BobDay
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  21:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we are talking 5 years, I have to pick Jason Spezza. He's developed so much in the past two years and he will be the leader in points in the coming year. Young and a long career ahead of him, I would put my investment in him

La Paz Guy
Go to Top of Page

Guest9695
( )

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  15:03:57  Reply with Quote
There's more to hockey than offense and with that said the money is on Spezza. Spezza will become the leagues greatest two way player of all time.
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  18:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said Spezza, because he's young and can get the job done. If you keep Spezza and Heatley on a line, they will continue to do good.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4948
( )

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  16:22:24  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't take any players off of Ottawa's team because they all are a waste of time. The only reason Ottawa is even in the playoffs is because they have such a weak division.
Go to Top of Page

GOLEAFSGO79
Top Prospect

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  17:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very easy question. You pick Dany Heatley.

Alfredsson is a good leader but 5 years is too much for a player his age.
Spezza is a great offensive force but not as good as Heatley; Heatley has I think more potential.

The other's aren't in the same league as the previously mentioned three.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4644
( )

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  08:26:25  Reply with Quote
I say Spezza as he is a great faceoff man and is responsible in all zones whether it be offensive or defensive. He will put up noticeable numbers year after year, he is young and he will lead his team to a cup in the futur if not this year.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  14:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say Dany Heatley. Any guy that can score 50 goals in a season is worth having on your team.

Forecheck+Backcheck= Paycheck!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4456
( )

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  02:40:54  Reply with Quote
why is a chris neil even in this list
Go to Top of Page

Guest4456
( )

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  02:58:15  Reply with Quote
i watch this team as little as possible, but I do for Alfie, this is one guy that can do it all. If he wasn't later in his career he is the guy. I have watched the fickle fans of no knowledge in this city pounce on alfie to be traded since day one when these fans didn't even realize we had hockey here, but go on and on and on and on about spezza and heatley. Heatley is just a guy who bangs the the top of the circle without supporting cast he is nothing. Spezza has his ups and downs but works well with a goal scorer. Lastly is a guy like Fisher long term and explosive, he speaks for himself. Off topic I ask everyone in my day to day wow what if Ottawa wins Stanley and you know what the answer is 9 out of 10, ya wouldn't it be great for the city, like in some delousanial polical way. Mark me wrong but I am old school guy but how about the victory for the pure thrill of excitement the fever and bragging rights of the game. Lastly is all of a sudden this goalie that nobody wanted to see play jr B is the new Brodeur but heh who i am to say when your facing 18 shots a night, back in true hockey form a goalie stopped 40 shots a night to win it all.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  08:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Alfie without a doubt. This guy is the most complete player on the team and needs absolutely no explaination unless you are not a real follower of the game. Consumate team player and Captain. Alfie rocks!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  08:10:03  Reply with Quote
how can you guys not choose Heatley, two straight 50 goal season and is on pace for over 40 AGAIN,
HEATER all the way
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page