Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Jordan Staal - Trade Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  09:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read a blog on Sportsnet the other day that said the Pens could very well listen to trade talks regarding Jordan Staal anytime between now and July 1st next year, when he's due to become a UFA.
Pittsburgh have some important decisions to make as far as cap space goes within the next couple of years. Both Crosby and Staal are UFA in 2013, and then both Malkin and Letang will go UFA in 2014.
With both Andre-Fleury and Neal locked up long-term at a combined $10M cap hit, along with Martin and Michalek locked in at a combined $9M cap hit, the thinking might be that they can only afford to keep two of the three star centres. Thus Staal being a tradeable asset?

If this is in fact true and the Pens would listen to trade offers for Staal........what do you think he could fetch? If you were the GM of your favorite team, what would you realistically offer in a trade?

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  10:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will say that he is worth more than any other third line center in the league. The Pens needs are primarily on defense/special teams but a compatible wing mate for Crosby would be a real nice pick up.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  11:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok what i am going to do is gice what i think it would take for my top 3 favorite teams
now stall is elite in his own right so i agree he would fetch a pretty penny

1st. The Leafs......
this is hard and as much as i don't like it i think the pens would ask for a prospect and either lupul or kessel.

so personally i would say kessel and a draft pick

2nd. Predators
i would go radulov for stall straight up after the suspension he (radulov) willl want out of nash (assuming he resigns there) and the preds would love stalls two way play

3rd Flyers.
i would have to say probably hartnell and brayden shenn would be a good trade to take stall away from the rivals.......
Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  11:33:08  Reply with Quote
Mandree

Your Leaf proposal as much I think Pittsburgh is one place that Kessel would shine I don't think that would be enough.

Nashville: Ray Shero would hang up the phone laughing so fast.

Philly : this might do it, but I can't see these 2 teams making a trade.

Personally I would be trading Malkin, his value will never be higher. For Malkin you would at least ask for 2 roster players, a prospect or 2 and a draft pick or 2.

As far as Staal goes it is hard to value his worth right now. I will assume he is resigned to a new contact with his new team. I don't think teams will give up much for him if he could walk.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  11:37:19  Reply with Quote
Staal to Chicago for Kane

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  12:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, let's talk about this for a second. Staal would likely get in the $5-$6 million range if he was a FA, so let's use that as a starting point.

Firstly, if Pitt can't afford all these players and to ice a quality team around them, why would they make a deal for another player with a big contract? Kane/Kessel/Radulov/Hartnell are all out.

This idea of Malkin for 2 roster, 2 prospects, and 2 picks is pretty reasonably. Let's drop it down to a Staal level. What would his value be worth using a similar structure. I would say a 1prospects/1 draft pick plus a 3rd line player would be a fair value.

Let's start there.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  13:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Beans. If not for the aforementioned "affordability" of Staal and what he'll be fetching, the best deal of the few listed here i'd have to say would be the Kane for Staal deal. If i were Pitt and Radulov was offered, i'd expect part of the deal to be Nashville's next 10 first rounders. That's how highly i regard Mr. Radulov!

Now, how about this.

To Pitt: Roman Josi, 1st round pick 2012, Paul Gaustad

To Nash: Jordan Staal

To Russia: Radulov

Josi would be instead of the proposed "prospect" and would prob only be available if Nashville can find a way to keep Suter and Weber as he's the most likely candidate they have to step into a top 2 roll should one of those two leave?

Is Gaustad too much? Maybe Nick Spaling?
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  13:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

1st. The Leafs......
this is hard and as much as i don't like it i think the pens would ask for a prospect and either lupul or kessel.

so personally i would say kessel and a draft pick

ever since Burke made the trade for Kessel, he's been looking for a true no. 1 center to complement him. now assuming that Burke envisions Staal as his no. 1, why would be offer up Kessel to get him?
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  13:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well gipper thats easy because the leafs have nothe else pit would want......... and i tooo agree with you beans good point i forgot about the affordablitly part of this. that does rule kessel out.

what about kulimen, and frattin, and a late draft pick.

as much as i would hate to see frattin go, you gotta give something to get something

pits would get a solid two way player that is centre eligible that would not command as a high a pay check as stall and a decent young winger with a talent for the net to go for the wing with crosby or malkin?

lols to alex about radulov.

ok how about this for nashville

to Pit
Suters rights
and to nash
Stall and a pick

Edited by - mandree888 on 05/16/2012 14:00:00
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  15:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darren Helm and jiri Hudler to the burg
staal to the wings

why not.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  17:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Good point Beans. If not for the aforementioned "affordability" of Staal and what he'll be fetching, the best deal of the few listed here i'd have to say would be the Kane for Staal deal. If i were Pitt and Radulov was offered, i'd expect part of the deal to be Nashville's next 10 first rounders. That's how highly i regard Mr. Radulov!

Now, how about this.

Josi would be instead of the proposed "prospect" and would prob only be available if Nashville can find a way to keep Suter and Weber as he's the most likely candidate they have to step into a top 2 roll should one of those two leave?

the predators dont have there pick, they traded it for gaustad
Go to Top of Page

Guest4227
( )

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  02:36:15  Reply with Quote
I think if Staal wants to stay he will be there. The only way he is traded is if he wants to be.

Martin will be gone long before him.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  07:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

quote:

Now, how about this.

the predators dont have there pick, they traded it for gaustad

Ah, i wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing that out. A 2013 pick could be tossed in instead i guess (if they still own that one ) but that would leave Nashville thin on draft picks for the next couple years so don't know if they'd do that?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most of you guys are crackers. Cuckoo. Deluded. misinformed.

To even think that a team like Chicago would deal Kane straight up for jordan Staal, or a team like Toronto would deal Kessel for Jordan Staal . . . is just plain silly.

What kind of a superstar do you think Jordan Staal really is?!?

I mean he's a very solid player - a top defensive forward, with very good second line offense I'd say. So, a compareable would be a Patrice Bergeron, except that we don't know if Staal can reach Bergeron's high in points because he's been on a third line.

Rating him too highly is a mistake here, folks. His third line stats - best on the league as they are - will get him compared to - stats wise - mid range second liners. He will bring more value because of his playoff performance and experience, and his defence; but not like is being discussed here, methinks.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo - both you and Beans may be right about what he's worth in a trade. and I do agree that he's not worth a Kessel or a Kane type player. but as a Leaf fan (and maybe you'll agree with me on this) I find it hard to believe that i could potentially get Staal in exchange for say Tyler Bozak and a prospect/draft pick.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I think most of you guys are crackers. Cuckoo. Deluded. misinformed.

To even think that a team like Chicago would deal Kane straight up for jordan Staal, or a team like Toronto would deal Kessel for Jordan Staal . . . is just plain silly.

What kind of a superstar do you think Jordan Staal really is?!?

I mean he's a very solid player - a top defensive forward, with very good second line offense I'd say. So, a compareable would be a Patrice Bergeron, except that we don't know if Staal can reach Bergeron's high in points because he's been on a third line.

Rating him too highly is a mistake here, folks. His third line stats - best on the league as they are - will get him compared to - stats wise - mid range second liners. He will bring more value because of his playoff performance and experience, and his defence; but not like is being discussed here, methinks.

Good points Slozo, and I don't completely disagree. But, if you consider the teams in the NHL today, would Staal not be the starting #1 centre on likely about 10 teams in the NHL?? Would he not be the hand down #2 centre on likely 20-25 teams??

I think him playing in the shadow of Crosby and Malkin has clouded the perception we have of him.

I agree that many on here are cuckoo banana with their trade ideas, but I also think calling him a mid-range 2nd liner is a swinging the pendulum a bit to far the other direction.

I would put Jordan Staal at the levels of the elite 2nd line centres and bottom rung of the 1st line centres in the NHL. I think your Bergeron comparison is dead on. I put Staal in a pile with Bergeron, Kesler, Backes, et al. Big, strong, solid defensive forwards with the ability to score. Those qualities are pretty rare, wouldn't you say?

Finally(and not specifically to Slozo but generally speaking), I think it's the most cuckoo bananas to offer suggestions of trades involving quality for quality. The point behind the original question was around the Pens not being able to afford all their stars. If that is the case, why would they take another player who makes a pile of money??

The trade discussion, based on the question posed, should be what kind of potential would be traded for the performance Staal has produced. These Kane/Kessel/Suter trades are simple absurd.

Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well I will point out that in my initial post I never claimed he should bring a Patrick Kane even up; just that he should bring more than any other third line center. I do still hold that position.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  11:13:41  Reply with Quote
I am not so sure if Kane for Staal is so far off.

Let's look at it

Staal drafted 2nd overall 2006 6'4 215 lbs. He is mostly playing 3rd line minutes and often against the other team's best line

2006-07 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 81 29 13 42
2007-08 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 82 12 16 28
2008-09 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 82 22 27 49
2009-10 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 82 21 28 49
2010-11 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 42 11 19 30
2011-12 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 62 25 25 50

Kane drafted 1st overall 2007 5'10 178 lbs. He is mostly playing 1st or 2nd line minutes often with Toews, Hossa, Sharp, or some kind of combination

2007-08 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 82 21 51 72
2008-09 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 80 25 45 70
2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 82 30 58 88
2010-11 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 73 27 46 73
2011-12 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 82 23 43 66

this past season Staal had 2 more goals in 20 less games. The past 3 years kane has gone from 88-73-66 in points and 30-27-23 in goals.

I think size is a huge factor as well as Chicago needs a true number 2 center. I have also heard and read about issues with Kane's attitude.

I will admit that Staal will probably never put up the numbers Kane will especially if he was playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Aside from points what exactly does Kane give you. I don't think he kills penalties, (he might) he is definately not physical.

I will stand by my proposal of Kane for Staal. I will admit Kane has more offensive potential so I will give you a B level prospect. I think Chicago would be all over this.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  12:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what about:
to Montreal
J Staal

To Pitts
3rd overall pick
Yannick Weaber

could be reasonable

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  12:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

what about:
to Montreal
J Staal

To Pitts
3rd overall pick
Yannick Weaber

could be reasonable

Whole crap!! A realistic trade idea. Take a picture, they don't often happen on this site.

Well done Pasty. Makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  20:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed - that's somewhat realistic, Pasty.

To Beans:
The reason why I compare Staal to a 2nd liner is that . . . those are his stats.

High of 29 goals inhis rookie year, got 25 this year. Ok, he's a 20 goal guy, and maybe if the stars align, he gets 30. Maybe.

High of 50 points, last year. In the last two full seasons before that, 49 points each. Was on pace for 60 odd points in his injury season. Ok, he may get 55, absolute high end 60 points one day. But until then, he's a 45 - 50 point guy.

These are the stats he will be judged on. You can make Malkin and Crosby excuses, but bottom line, those are his unchangeable stats, and that is where negotiations start. The price will go up, sure, because of his great defence and size and playoff experience; but he will also be seen as someone who may never exceed 60 points.

And that, Beans, is a second line player. A very good one; but a 2nd liner nonetheless.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  22:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

what about:
to Montreal
J Staal

To Pitts
3rd overall pick
Yannick Weaber

could be reasonable

Whole crap!! A realistic trade idea. Take a picture, they don't often happen on this site.

I dunno, i think the Habs should be able to get him for the pick straight up and not have to throw in Weber myself. There's bound to be a pretty good player at 3 for the Pens, no? Sure, Staal is somewhat proven and has some upside, but if Pitts wants to save $ and/or cap space, the pick might be all they need to do a deal like this?

BTW, with Kane's downward slide as far as points and play go, i agree with 8384 that Staal for Kane isn't as far fetched as some seem to think. Certainly not in the "cuckoo" range. Also, i did mention earlier that it won't happed due to the $ values as has been discussed, but if it weren't for that, i don't see this being so far off of a good deal.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  00:01:58  Reply with Quote
To Pit: Rick Nash + 2nd\3rd\4th Pick?!?
To Columbus: Staal + Kunitz + _____(enter player worth $'s here)

Rick Nash = Staal + Kunitz (Salary Wise)
Pits gets solid winger to play on top pairing and prospect(s).
Columbus gets rid of Nash and group of forwards to grow with.
Pits scares everyone with greater top six.
Columbus pushes for the post season instead of staying at the bottom.
Staal proves all the doubters wrong and gets 60+ points.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  06:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did agree with you guys about the kessel trade that just what i thought the pens would ask for.

i did revise it to say kulimen and frattin. for staal.

so again
To PITS
Kulimen _centre eligible
frattin _ also centre eligible

to TOR
Staal.

what do you think.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  07:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Agreed - that's somewhat realistic, Pasty.

To Beans:
The reason why I compare Staal to a 2nd liner is that . . . those are his stats.

High of 29 goals inhis rookie year, got 25 this year. Ok, he's a 20 goal guy, and maybe if the stars align, he gets 30. Maybe.

High of 50 points, last year. In the last two full seasons before that, 49 points each. Was on pace for 60 odd points in his injury season. Ok, he may get 55, absolute high end 60 points one day. But until then, he's a 45 - 50 point guy.

These are the stats he will be judged on. You can make Malkin and Crosby excuses, but bottom line, those are his unchangeable stats, and that is where negotiations start. The price will go up, sure, because of his great defence and size and playoff experience; but he will also be seen as someone who may never exceed 60 points.

And that, Beans, is a second line player. A very good one; but a 2nd liner nonetheless.

Agreed on the numbers Slozo. You get no argument here. I disagree that he is seen as a guy who may never break 60 pts though. Strongly disagree with that. Consider he has 4 season of more than 40 pts, two at 49 and one at 50. He's only 23!!! Let's not forget, this latest 50 pt season was an injury shortened 62 games. That's a 65 pts season over 82 games. He definitely has the game to do 60. I would argue he would get 80 in the right situation (healthy and top line minutes and talent along side of him).

You also side stepped the point of how many teams Staal would automatically become the 1st line centre if traded to today. There are at least 10, including both of our favorite teams.

I believe we will have to agree to disagree on this matter. Staal is a very prized player, would command $5+ million, and would play on the 1st line on 1/3 of the teams in the NHL today and 90%+ of the teams he would be the 2nd line centre. In fact, PItt might be the only situation in the NHL today where he would not play 2nd line. He is top tier of 2nd line players and lower tier of first line players.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  13:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

i did revise it to say kulimen and frattin. for staal.

so again
To PITS
Kulimen _centre eligible
frattin _ also centre eligible

to TOR
Staal.

what do you think.

I think its probably all the Leafs could/would offer. I also think that its not enough of a package, and that other teams would beat it. I think Staal would be on the radar of at least 20 other teams in the NHL.

I agree with Beans here - Staal is only a 3rd line centre due to circumstances in PIT, and he would be the automatic second line centre on any team in the NHL except for PIT, VAN, and LA - and the latter two, Staal vs Kesler vs Richards is open for debate.

That being said, I don't necessarily agree that he is a good fit as a top-line centre - while he would be on teams like EDM or TOR because he would instantly be the best proven centre on those teams, that role is probably not a good fit for him. He has a skillset that is best suited to anchoring the second line, where you can use his defensive abilities to hold down other team's top lines, while still allowing for a top scoring line to score.

I also don't agree that his point potential is limited - just because you anchor the second line does not mean you don't get other opportunities. I have to look no further than my own backyard at how Kesler has elevated his offensive output via time on the top PP unit, despite being the second line centre. If Kesler can score at a nearly PPG clip, so can Staal.

Edited by - nuxfan on 05/18/2012 13:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  18:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the habs have been missing that big strong center for ages now and with Deharnais Plekanec and Staal they would have 3 top 2nd line center, lets call them 2A centers that could make up for the lack of a clear cut number one, not to mention 22 year old Lars Eller who still holds some potential as a number 2 center or at least a solid 3rd center, and considering the habs do boast a bunch of good denfensive prospects and their isn't a guranteed hands down blue chip forward at the 3 spot this draft, it would make sense for the habs to consider moving their 3rd pick for Staal, the Pens get a young player on the cheap for at least another 3 years and the habs get a big strong 2 way center who still has the potential to be a number 1 guy, he is still only 23, I think this deal could work

Go to Top of Page

Guest4927
( )

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  03:58:12  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

what about:
to Montreal
J Staal

To Pitts
3rd overall pick
Yannick Weaber

could be reasonable

i didnt think helm and hudler for stall was that crazy?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2012 :  17:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4927

quote:

quote:

what about:
to Montreal
J Staal

To Pitts
3rd overall pick
Yannick Weaber

could be reasonable

i didnt think helm and hudler for stall was that crazy?

really, if i were the pens this wouldn't intrest me at all, Helm albeit is great in his role their a tons of FA's each year that can do what he does, Hudler is quite a bit older than Staal quite a bit smaller his two way game doesn't compare to Staal's and his point totals are similar, plus he has left the NHL in the past for the KHL.. if i'm Shero is say no way jose!

Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  03:47:11  Reply with Quote
Patsy,

I agree, well said.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  09:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to get this topic going again, how about this:

To Toronto: Jordan Staal, Z. Michalek & Pitts 2012 1st rounder (22nd overall)

To Pittsburgh: TO's 2012 1st rounder (5th overall)

Then, Toronto could try the following.....

To Philly: Pitt's 1st rounder (22nd, aquired in deal above), Luke Schenn and N. Kadri

To Toronto: James Van Riemsdyk
Go to Top of Page

Guest8346
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  09:50:23  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you joking? Clearly a Leafs fan. Toronto's 1st for Staal straight up MAYBE if Pittsburgh was rebuilding which they arent, but you think they're going to throw in another 1st and one of their top defenceman?

Being a Jets fan I could see a framework involving Tobias Enstrom for Jordan Staal. Peg needs a centreman, Pittsburgh could use another puck-mover (Letang can't play all game).
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  09:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, if that is the case, how about this:

To Pitt - 1st overall pick from Edmonton

To Edm - Staal, Michalek, Pitt's 1st round pick, and Fleury

then

To Ana - Pitt's 1st round pick, Shawn Horcoff, and Ryan Smyth

To Edm - Ryan Getlaf and Bobby Ryan

Sounds about right to me, wouldn't you agree???

Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  10:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how about this to TOR
Staal

TO Pit
Cody Franson and Kulimen.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0551
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  10:20:34  Reply with Quote
Only from speculation I would think that Carolina would be one of the front runners trying to get J.Staal. I think a realistic trade that would could happen if these 2 teams made a deal would be a 1st pick in 2012 (8th overall if i'm correct) and Ryan Murphy or even Jamie Mcbain for Staal.

Although it might take Skinner if they want to pair up the big staal boys.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0551
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  10:26:34  Reply with Quote
Only from speculation I would think that Carolina would be one of the front runners trying to get J.Staal. I think a realistic trade that would could happen if these 2 teams made a deal would be a 1st pick in 2012 (8th overall if i'm correct) and Ryan Murphy or even Jamie Mcbain for Staal.

Although it might take Skinner if they want to pair up the big staal boys.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4744
( )

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  13:27:38  Reply with Quote
what about EDM # 1 pick + Gagne to Pits for Malkin?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  14:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8346

quote:

Are you joking? Clearly a Leafs fan. Toronto's 1st for Staal straight up MAYBE if Pittsburgh was rebuilding which they arent, but you think they're going to throw in another 1st and one of their top defenceman?

No, actually i wasn't joking. If you think that's so bad, maybe take out the Pens first rounder, which is not exactly a high pick anyway? I've read that Pittsburgh might want to unload either Michalek's or Martin's contract which is why i chose to include one of them. As i said, maybe the 22nd pick was too much to add but no need to call me a "Leaf's fan" which if you had been around here long, would be obviously far from the truth!

quote:

Alex, if that is the case, how about this:

To Pitt - 1st overall pick from Edmonton

To Edm - Staal, Michalek, Pitt's 1st round pick, and Fleury

then

To Ana - Pitt's 1st round pick, Shawn Horcoff, and Ryan Smyth

To Edm - Ryan Getlaf and Bobby Ryan

Sounds about right to me, wouldn't you agree???

No, i wouldn't agree. And judging by part 2 of your proposal, i'm guessing you think that L. Schenn, Kadri and a first rounder is not enough for JVR?

First off, if you hadn't tried to sneak Fleury into the deal, i think the Pens would jump at that trade. Second, imo Getzlaf OR Ryan is more valuable at this point than JVR, AND Schenn and Kadri are worth more than Horcoff and Smyth so this is where it's safe to assume you think the Flyers are getting burned in my proposed deal? Otherwise i'm not sure why you're being so hard on the Ducks.

Well, if nothing else, at least i livened up this thread!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  17:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Carolina is a viable option but I really think the habs are going to trade away the third pick this season, I am alomst 100% sure the habs will not draft third, and i think Staal for the third , plus maybe a throw in like Weaber or Diaz may be just what the Pens are looking for, and i know Staal is exactly what the habs want,
The habs wind up with a proven big 2nd line center at age 23 with upside and the pens could wind up with some depth players on defense and some cap relief and perhaps a proven young Russian winger who can step right into the NHL or even a Murray or Dumba to add some talent to their back end!
I have also herd rumblings then Habs are offering the 3rd pick for the othe Staal brother (Eric),
I think the habs can't draft either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko, both have been known to be up and down players great with the puck invisible without, and both have only one question mark in their game, the effort and how consistent that effort will be. Who does that sound like ,, ever here of the Kostitsyn's the habs simply can't afford to draft another Kostitsyn, especially when they are drafting in the 3 hole. They should be getting a franchise player, on the other hand Murray and Dumba are tempting, but the habs have loaded up on young d men in recent years, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Subban, Emelin, Nash, Ellis, Dietz.... are all poised to be solid NHLer in they are not already and besides Emelin they are all under the age of 22,

The habs will trade the 3rd pick this year and if J,Staal is really available i'm sure the habs will be the ones to get him,

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  04:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting news from the grapevine, Pasty. Jeepers, have we ever had so many rumours about teams with high draft picks ready to deal them? Columbus, Edmonton, now Montreal too?!?

Which leads me to my point - I think the Pens will REALLY be able to pick and choose their right deal for Staal . . . which means, it probably won't be Montreal. And, it probably won't be Toronto either, Leaf fans.

Sure could be Edmonton though. And here's the kicker: if dealing Staal to Edmonton for the #1 draft pick . . . wouldn't the Pens have to throw in another player? Probably a defensive prospect?

Just spitballing, but . . . it'd be mighty tempting for the Pens, I'd think.

Go to Top of Page

Guest1245
( )

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  02:47:42  Reply with Quote
Bergevin & Lemieux are great friends and can see them helping each other out here. Pens can't afford to keep Sid/Geno/Staal, Habs need a big centremen and the 2 top ones in the draft come with lots of ? marks. Pens would love to make a splash in front of their hometown fans at the draft

To Mtl:
Staal - #1 center Mtl sorely needs
Pitts 22nd pick - Habs take 'Lucic clone' Tom Wilson

To Pitts:
Habs 3rd pick - Could be packaged to Edm to move up to get Nail and Oil drop to take Murray, Sid or Geno & Yakupov would be scary
Lars Eller - Cheaper option for 3rd line center with upside

Win-Win
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page