Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 What Ever Happened to Brian Leetch? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  13:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know his best days were well behind him, but to my knowledge he has never made a formal announcement of retirement. Has he and I just missed it?

The guy was arguably the best American defenceman of all-time. It's just sad to see a guy fade away like that, with zero fanfare (mind you, that always was his way, wasn't it?).

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  14:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

I know his best days were well behind him, but to my knowledge he has never made a formal announcement of retirement. Has he and I just missed it?

The guy was arguably the best American defenceman of all-time. It's just sad to see a guy fade away like that, with zero fanfare (mind you, that always was his way, wasn't it?).

I think he might of retired i checked on nhl.com and it said hes not on any team so he might be a free agent if he is the leafs should sign him even know that he is 39 years old

I am what I am- Sid The Kid
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  14:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know he's an unrestricted free agent, but as far as I know there has never been a formal announcement of retirement. I wonder if he's still considering a comeback?

I'm not sure he'd even be effective at all if he did come back - being away from the game over a year like that.

Like I said, it's too bad when the greats just fade away.

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  15:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salary Cap...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  02:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always find it so disappointing when great players don't (get to) announce an official retirement. Larry Murphy springs to mind amongst many others. Not that he, or others, didn't have shortcomings as players - but they had lengthy stellar careers. Stumpy Thomas almost fell into this category but he was signed by Detroit partway into what ended up being his last season. Then he announced his retirement. Am I wrong that I don't recall Paul Coffey making an official announcement when he retired ? Also, I really kept my ears open during and after the lockout because of this !
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

I always find it so disappointing when great players don't (get to) announce an official retirement. Larry Murphy springs to mind amongst many others. Not that he, or others, didn't have shortcomings as players - but they had lengthy stellar careers. Stumpy Thomas almost fell into this category but he was signed by Detroit partway into what ended up being his last season. Then he announced his retirement. Am I wrong that I don't recall Paul Coffey making an official announcement when he retired ? Also, I really kept my ears open during and after the lockout because of this !

Good points.
Coffey did make an announcement, but it was really low key. Those last couple of years he was all over the league. I think he played with about 6 different teams in his last five years.

That's why I have to give even greater respect to guys like Yzerman and Sakic. It's so rare to stay with one team your whole career like that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page