Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Luongo to Florida? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  14:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, about an hour ago, the local boys on the TEAM1040 were saying that someone in the "twitterverse" tweeted that there may already be a deal in place to send Luongo to Fla? It's purely specuation, but apparently someone even has a link to Luongo listed on a Florida Panthers website. Don't bother going searching though as it's apparently hard to find (it's not just simply on their team website, it's on an inaccessible page that somehow leaked and might be removed by now?). Again, this is just a rumour but if it's true, what sort of return do you think the Canucks would fetch for a guy with a long contract who has made it clear he only really wants to play for that one team?
Anything more than a 2nd round pick will surprise me!

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  15:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think their would be a solid roster player going back, maybe even the rights to Clemenson, the nucks may want to sign him as a solid vetran backup for Schneider...

Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat.
Bob Uecker

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  15:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard done deal, but apparently that is choice #1 - to the extent that he has nixed possible deals to TOR and CHI (man, I hope he doesn't end up in CHI, that has all the makings of a trade that would bite us in the ass later!). Its now becoming clear just how much he wants to end up in Florida after all, which makes sense given his family situation.

Pasty - I doubt the Canucks have much interest in another goalie, at least at the NHL level. Assuming Luongo gets traded, they are very likely to go with a Schnieder/Lack combo in net next year, and have Joe Cannata at the AHL level. Lots of depth in the net right now, beyond Schneider.

As for return - yeah, I don't know, but honestly at this point, I don't really care either - VAN needs to move forward to life after Luongo and get other things taken care of (July 1, other holes to plug). Its just going to drag on and on...

From what I can tell FLA doesn't have any bad contracts to dump back really - Fleischmann and Upshall are both their longest signed deals @ 3 years each. On defense they have Campbell who has a huge contract, but was actually very good for them last year. Jovo is back there as well for 3 more years @ 4.1, thats a contract I'd take back, he has some good history here. They do have a lot of tantalizing prospects though...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  16:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My next question would be, why would Florida want him (Lu)? Just how far away from playing is Markstrom? Is he 5 years away? Cuz if he's only 2-3, they'd end up with Luongo and him fighting for time and kinda be in a similar situation as the Canucks right now. And, unless things change in the Luongo household, it's prob unlikely he'd be willing to be traded later on, especially FROM Florida!!! Or does the team have the ability to move him at that point? I can't recall?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  17:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

My next question would be, why would Florida want him (Lu)? Just how far away from playing is Markstrom? Is he 5 years away? Cuz if he's only 2-3, they'd end up with Luongo and him fighting for time and kinda be in a similar situation as the Canucks right now. And, unless things change in the Luongo household, it's prob unlikely he'd be willing to be traded later on, especially FROM Florida!!! Or does the team have the ability to move him at that point? I can't recall?

yeah, there is a player out after 5 years (3 years from now) and a team out after 7 years (5 years from now). So FLA would be able to move him at that point.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  17:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7 years though? Won't Markstrom be ready in a couple? I guess maybe he could be mentored for another couple but that's still just 4 years. I'm a little surprised by the rumour that Florida is interested.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  18:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Markstrom play once this year against the habs early in the season and i must say he looked amazing, obviously there is some growing to do because he was sent down shortly afterwards but from all indications i have read it looks like Markstrom is done with the AHL and ready for NHL duties, so you would think that if all i have read is true and nothing has gone horribly wrong with Markstrom's progression the ideal situation would be a 40 40 split in games between Markstrom and Theodore next season, if they trade for Luongo they midaswell trade Markstrom now while his value is high, I mean he had a 927 sv % last year in the AHL and in a short 7 game stint in the NHL he had a 923 sv% no reason to think this kid isn't ready to start his route to stardom.... i have no idea why Luongo would even interest Tallon

Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat.
Bob Uecker

Edited by - Pasty7 on 06/25/2012 18:15:25
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  19:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex 116....lol...i was just about to bring up a point about the Luongo saga ...then read it in your post.

Who sez Florida wants Luongo ????...the leafs want him, thats apparent...But has the panthers ever made it public that they are even interested in him ??...if so, how interested ??

Are they willing to give up what it takes to get him ??...i really can`t see Florida parting with any youth, can you ??

The Canucks are in a NO WIN situation here, Florida is laughing. Gillis wants Luongo gone....Luongo wants to go..... but he is only willing to go to one team !!!!!

If i were Florida`s GM i certainly wouldn`t rush in this situation, the longer this goes the more it works in their favor....MG has to cave in eventually, or keep Luongo.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  22:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are forgetting one important thing though Duke - Luongo absolutely does NOT want to be in Vancouver come September. If Luongo is in the Canucks dressing room come training camp, the press will eat him alive, every chance they get. For team unity, the Canucks might ask him to stay away during camp, who knows - regardless, for a competitor like Luongo who wants to play every night, it would be living hell. And he knows it.

What will probably happen is Luongo's list will slowly expand as we approach training camp, to include other destinations. He wants to go to FLA now, so he's using his NMC to try to make that happen - but if FLA doesn't want him, it sounds like there are other willing dance partners that he will have to consider as we go through the summer. From what I read today, TOR and VAN might have had a deal in place but Luongo invoked his NMC and blocked it.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  00:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
.........From what I read today, TOR and VAN might have had a deal in place but Luongo invoked his NMC and blocked it.

This is being widely reported now. Just google "Luongo trade rumours" and you'll see what i mean! Apparently there was a deal in place, or at least a very serious offer from Chicago as well as Toronto and Luongo refused to waive his NTC for either. It looks very much like he is hoping that Florida will show interest and if not, it's likely he'd accept a deal to one of those teams. What's crazy about it is that Florida will still be able to offer less, and Gillis will have to make the call whether or not to accept that deal. If he does, it's likely less than what TO or Chi have offered, and if he doesn't, he'll be in a serious chess match vs Luongo as to what comes next!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  08:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's quite a series of events here. Interesting stuff.

Luongo is really trying to get his way by saying it's only Florida right now . . . hey Lu, I get it - I am married too, lol. But honestly, I don't see Tallon in Florida biting on this one - even if it is a tiny price tag.

Why? Because no matter what, for the Florida franchise, it WOULDN'T be a tiny price tag. And it would screw with their future plans - which look amazing right now, truth be told. Theodore just came off a huge comeback season, and looks to be an easy and cheap choice as a starter before the young guy starts playing. If the young guy Markstrom takes longer, or is a bust - they are good. If Markstrom is the next one, Theodore becomes a great back-up, and he's probably happy about it at that point.

Now why the hell would they want to take on that huge and restrictive contract when they are already in a cheap and very positive situation? There is no way the owners would approve it, unh unh. Not happening.

No, what I see still happening is Luongo coming to Toronto, or who knows, maybe Chicago (I doubt it, Vancouver GM would lean extra hard the other way to ensure that doesn't happen). OR, and this might be just as even a possibility . . . come September, the drama begins, and then the wheels start to move when camp opens, etc.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  09:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Slozo, and i've said it before, i can't see there being a whole lot of interest from Florida if Markstrom is that close to being a regular at the NHL level.

A little off topic, but has some bearing on the Chicago possibilities, what ever came of the re-allignment plans? Wasn't there some talk that Chi would move to the east? Perhaps then the Canucks wouldn't mind dealing Lu to the Hawks but until that happens, i agree, i think they'd take slightly lesser deal from TO if it meant not having to see your most hated rival, with whom you've had your fair share of struggles, with a former start goalie of you own! Man, that could be ugly!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  11:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my POV, I see FLA being a more likely place than TOR. For a couple of reasons. Firstly, Tallon has proven in the past that he will pay for the players he wants. Hossa in CHI and Campbell in FLA are both great examples of players most considered overpaid. Secondly, I believe the reports that discuss Lunogo wanting to go to a "warm climate." TOR is a very very difficult place to play. It might be the hardest place to play goalie in the NHL although I think the fans in Montreal might argue that. I see Luongo as not wanting to jump from a big fishbowl into the biggest fishbowl in the NHL. Finally, Burke has doesn't pay anything more than what he wants to pay. Unless Burke is willing to wait for the price to come down then TOR is out. I see a deal happening before the end of July and for close to the value that VAN wants.

Just my 2 cents. I got nothing to back up any of that, it's just what I think.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  12:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, you may be right about Tallon and what he'd like to do. but in Florida he has an owner that is not so loosey goosey with the purse strings. the only reason he was allowed to spend so much money last summer was because he needed to get to the cap floor.
pending any major changes to the CBA, the owner may not allow him to spend as much this year and thus Luongo would not be an option. UNLESS of course he could get Gilis to take a big contract back....like Campbell or Jovanovski.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  13:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans....but what about Markstrom? Why would Florida want Luongo if this Markstrom kid is so close to being ready? That's my main point of concern when it comes to the level of interest in Fla. As far as believing Luongo wants to go to "a warm climate", you should believe it. It's pretty much been said that his preference would be Florida. However, as has been mentioned, it's doubtful that he'll hold firm to the stance of Fla or bust as he's gonna want to play and play as a starter, something that's unlikely to happen here in Van. Personally i don't think he'd fear playing in Toronto at all. It was already reported that that was one destination on his original "short list". Now, whether or not that list was BS and just specualtion or whether or not he's since had a change of mind, who knows? It does seem weird that he's pushing so hard for Fla if he already ok'd some other scenarios?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  14:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, cap floor?? Really?? Are you going to sign a player that has $35 million over 5 years just to get to the cap floor?? Ok, fine. I'll accept that, but explain the Hossa deal.........

Alex, name me a player with the exception of Dany Heatley who has publically stated he would NOT go to a specific team when asked by a reporter. C'mon dude, they are conditioned to give certain responses to certain questions. No way that Luongo is going to say he wouldn't want to go to TO if asked directly.

I still think FLA is the team. Regardless, no GM is moving on a 10 year deal for the $5.3 million cap hit without a big salary going the other way. That's the bottom line.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  14:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Firstly, cap floor?? Really?? Are you going to sign a player that has $35 million over 5 years just to get to the cap floor?? Ok, fine. I'll accept that, but explain the Hossa deal.........

Alex, name me a player with the exception of Dany Heatley who has publically stated he would NOT go to a specific team when asked by a reporter. C'mon dude, they are conditioned to give certain responses to certain questions. No way that Luongo is going to say he wouldn't want to go to TO if asked directly.

I still think FLA is the team. Regardless, no GM is moving on a 10 year deal for the $5.3 million cap hit without a big salary going the other way. That's the bottom line.

Beans Markstrom is poised to be as good a NHL goalie as the likes of Price Scheneider and so on, if Florida goes and gets Lu then they are tradeing Markstrom for a big return

Bob Uecker

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  15:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Beans, i know you love your Heatley example as you use it often in cases like this, but that's not even part of the discussion i really care about. I'd really like for someone to answer my question as to why exactly Florida would be interested in Luongo and the contract he brings with him when they have this Markstrom kid who's supposed to be so good and not far off being a full time NHLer?

As for the Heatley bit, I'm only relaying what was reported. NOwhere did it say he verbally stated he'd not play in/for TO. It was just reported that he invoked his NTC which nixed a deal to TO and/or Chi and that it's believed he's hoping to land in FLA. It's also been reported that he will likely expand his acceptable destinations, which reportedly included Toronto at some point, if a deal with the Panthers doesn't work out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page