Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 The End (of the P-offs) Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  17:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If you could choose a month for the playoffs to wrap-up, when would you pick. Frankly, by now,I think the average canadian(and American from a colder state) is all excited about the Sun, and wants to spend a little less time at home.....Especially on weekends in the middle of the day (Wake up NBC).

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!

Choices:

February
March
April
May
June
July (Hey, some people probably wish it went longer)

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  17:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked April. Obviously this means wrapping up the regular season earlier. This could mean either reducing the number of games played, or starting the season sooner. I am all for starting the season earlier. I would like to see it start in September. That's when minor hockey and certain Junior leagues start up. So the hockey players are already in Hockey mode, and having the NHL going on too would only increase ones motivation for heading out to the rink. When I was in Hockey, I always got irritated that there was no NHL goin down when I started the season.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  17:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
College hockey ends in April, the World Champs end in April (OK, early May, but hey it's cold in Moscow, you gotta wait longer). I'd say April or May is a better ending time, but June's OK by me. After school's out I can start the summer by watching the Cup finals. 'Course I can't speak for everyone; most US viewers south of the northern states are more excited about the sunny months than myself and the ones up north, since there's more sun and less humidity down there = people would rather be outside rather than watching games. Northerners probably would want to get out and enjoy the weather too, but I imagine they'd still have the desire to watch the games and see how the season ends. Canadians--can't speak for you guys, but I'd imagine you die-hard hockey fans wouldn't mind having hockey go on during June
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  18:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
April becuase its mybirthday, and for all the reasons you and Mik had said

~~~Let's Go Ducks!!!~~~
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  18:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Canadians--can't speak for you guys, but I'd imagine you die-hard hockey fans wouldn't mind having hockey go on during June

i think may is good

actually im playing hockey 12 months a year on ice, "cosom", roller hockey....
but having hockey in june is good because you can go chek it in bars when the term is over ( tomorrow for me ) so im in holiday yay

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May is good, June is just great weather in Sask and I love being outside and playing street hockey. Yes I like to watch hockey but I would prefer to play.
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  10:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all for shorter seasons, and if by reducing the games, the end of the season came earlier, I'd be happy. I'm not the average fan, meaning I could watch hockey 24/7 and not get sick of it, but for the average fan once May comes around they're "hockeyed out." I think ending it in April would do more for keeping average fans interested.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

Guest8836
( )

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  11:08:02  Reply with Quote
Problem with the NHL playoffs is that they compete with the NBA finals. If the NHL wanted to maximize its ratings, they would have playoffs in feb and wrapping up early march. Heres why: everyone knows the superbowl is first sunday in febuary, after that, there is really nothing exciting in the sporting world until NCAA march madness starts up in, well, march. No baseball, no NASCAR, nada. The NHL and the NBA drags on through thier respective regular seasons at this time, but its really not an exciting couple of weeks.

So put the NHL playoffs in Feb, with a stanley cup in early March.

But i guess that would mean starting the reg season in like august which im not too excited about. But i guess they could lower games played? or play more frequently?
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  12:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing with shortening the season is well it's unfair, because Crosby or whoever you want will have even a less chance of beating the Great Ones record. I say just starting the season in September then it should end earlier than middle June.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  14:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me i said June(meaning Late May-Early June)because i think it is an alright time because you are just wrapping or ending school so you can just like stay at home and watch some hockey

Good Playoffs Canucks Better luck next season now i cheer the WINGS AND DEVILS GO
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  17:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said April because April= Rain, Rain= Boredom, Boredom= Great time to watch hockey.
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  18:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i say hockey 24/7
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  09:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, to the person who said that the season should not be shortened because players like Crosby would not be able to catch Gretzky's records. He is 80 pts behind Gretzky's pace after 2 years. He is 2635 points behind. He would have to play 20 more years averaging more than 130 points/season. The likelyhood of that happening?? Slim.

I personally like the idea of a shorter season. Around 65 games would be perfect. It would put more value into the early part of the regular season as teams would not have as many games to catch up. I also like the idea of the season ending in late april or early may. Anytime after that, it's too late.

This season itself, I watched every playoff game televised through the 1st and 2nd round. Since then, the weather had been decent in Edmonton. And if the Oilers are not playing, I would rather go golfing than sit inside on a nice evening and watch hockey.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page