Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 FLYERS' DEFENSE Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9184
( )

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  21:12:10  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If Shea Weber joins Philly, how would you rank their defense in the NHL?

Choices:

No. 1
Top 5
Top 10
Top 15
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1877 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  14:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Pronger is actually retired Philly still hasn't filled all the holes on defense. I'd say between 10-15th. If the real Pronger returns, and not a worn down version of him returns, I'd say top 5-10 in the league. Philly doesn't need top 5 defense in the NHL to win. They have great forward depth
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5790 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  22:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua.....You're saying if the "real Pronger" returns AND they get Weber that they're still not top 5??? HUH???

I think Pronger and Weber, with You, Me, Beans and Slozo filling out the other 4 spots would still get them top 5! Okay, a bit of an exageration maybe, but i think you get what i'm saying.
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4580 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  05:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, besides Weber, it looks like Pronger is far from wanting to retire - lots of stories about him coming back strong. At least, he'll be in the picture, I think.

And the newly acquired Schenn is there, along with the ever-dependable Meszaros, and Coburn, and Timonen. Um, these guys are not nobodies, folks.

It's a very solid D. Should look something like this for pairings, perhaps:
Weber - Meszaros
Pronger - Coburn
Timonen - Schenn

That's really not too shabby at all. Looks like a top 5, top 10 defence to me.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro



714 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  07:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On paper, with Pronger and Weber, it's the best defense in the league. How they gel together and how the defensive system fits and how the forwards supports is a whole other question. I say after all is said and done they are top 10 in GA (if that's the stat we base defense on)

On paper ... #1
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1877 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  12:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I agree a healthy 100% Pronger would bring up Philly's defensive ranking and Weber brings a great one 2 punch, the other players are good not great. Meszaros, Timonen, and Coburn are the same players who melted like warm butter in last years playoffs. I say better, not best until I see the product on the ice.
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well, besides Weber, it looks like Pronger is far from wanting to retire - lots of stories about him coming back strong. At least, he'll be in the picture, I think.

And the newly acquired Schenn is there, along with the ever-dependable Meszaros, and Coburn, and Timonen. Um, these guys are not nobodies, folks.

It's a very solid D. Should look something like this for pairings, perhaps:
Weber - Meszaros
Pronger - Coburn
Timonen - Schenn

That's really not too shabby at all. Looks like a top 5, top 10 defence to me.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1877 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  12:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Joshua.....You're saying if the "real Pronger" returns AND they get Weber that they're still not top 5??? HUH???

I think Pronger and Weber, with You, Me, Beans and Slozo filling out the other 4 spots would still get them top 5! Okay, a bit of an exageration maybe, but i think you get what i'm saying.

I am more of a 1 row behind the bench with a beer in my hand type kind of player. Barking my spectator knowledge to hockey professional's is what I do best.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 07/24/2012 12:42:25
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  13:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand some people pushing this group down to the 3 spot, but how in the world can this group be anywhere from 6-10? If everyone is back and healthy there is no defense in hockey that will be able to change the game the way this core can. If I steal Slozo's pairings then the breakdown is far more favorable than any other team (on paper)

Weber - Meszaros (Best all around defenseman paired with the best shot blocking defenseman in the league. Not to mention they lay the body for breakfast.

Pronger - Coburn (This is a defense pairing that should be the honorary duo for the Legion of Doom. If Pronger is healthy he is still a top 5-10 dman in the league and Coburn is solid on the back end)

Timonen - Schenn (Timonen as your 5th defenseman; this guy plays both the powerplay/ppk is sound defensively and is always a threat to jump in the play. Schenn not to long ago was deemed one of the best young defenseman in the league. Timonen will cover his speed deficiency and as your number 6 guy at 23yrs old he is a great asset to have especially getting to learn from Pronger & Weber)

They are definitely the paper champions, but only time will tell if their on ice chemistry matches there on paper abilities.


Every journey begins with a single step.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1877 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  13:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The if will kepp on coming as Weber is in Nashville for the forseeable future and the ? mark is still if Pronger is 100%. I dont see the allstar value in Timonen, Coburn and Meszaros that you do. And Schenn is just that a "good" young defensman.
quote:
Originally posted by Mario 66

I can understand some people pushing this group down to the 3 spot, but how in the world can this group be anywhere from 6-10? If everyone is back and healthy there is no defense in hockey that will be able to change the game the way this core can. If I steal Slozo's pairings then the breakdown is far more favorable than any other team (on paper)

Weber - Meszaros (Best all around defenseman paired with the best shot blocking defenseman in the league. Not to mention they lay the body for breakfast.

Pronger - Coburn (This is a defense pairing that should be the honorary duo for the Legion of Doom. If Pronger is healthy he is still a top 5-10 dman in the league and Coburn is solid on the back end)

Timonen - Schenn (Timonen as your 5th defenseman; this guy plays both the powerplay/ppk is sound defensively and is always a threat to jump in the play. Schenn not to long ago was deemed one of the best young defenseman in the league. Timonen will cover his speed deficiency and as your number 6 guy at 23yrs old he is a great asset to have especially getting to learn from Pronger & Weber)

They are definitely the paper champions, but only time will tell if their on ice chemistry matches there on paper abilities.


Every journey begins with a single step.

Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  13:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has nothing to do with all star value for Timonen, Coburn & Mezaros these guys are just simply dependable. These guys are like Rob Scuderi & Willie Mitchell nothing really flashy, but you know what you are going to get year in an out. As a coach & a fan you want that from your players. Had the deal gone through the best defenseman in the world would be playing with another top 10 dman and 4 dependable dman. There would have been no other team in the league that could say they can throw any combination of their top 5 dman on the ice at any time and there not be a drop off in the calibre. The Flyers would have pocessed that weapon.

Every journey begins with a single step.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page