Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 The Hockey News Top 100: was it biased? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  17:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its often stated that the poll was biased against players from Quebec because of the makeup of the so called experts. Does anyone have a list of the experts who voted?

I am Ogopogo's bodyguard

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  15:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this a new list or the one from 1997?

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Guest7418
( )

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  17:04:30  Reply with Quote
No, it wasn't biased.
I thought they did a rather good job completing a difficult task.
There were certainly some great french Canadian players on the list, so I'm not sure what might have sparked your 'bias' thought unless you are French Canadian and wanted to see Richard, Beliveau, LaFleur, and Carboneau in the top 5.......
Go to Top of Page

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  18:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Was this a new list or the one from 1997?

- - Marshall McLuhan

no, the 1997 one.

I am Ogopogo's bodyguard
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  19:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7418

No, it wasn't biased.
I thought they did a rather good job completing a difficult task.
There were certainly some great french Canadian players on the list, so I'm not sure what might have sparked your 'bias' thought unless you are French Canadian and wanted to see Richard, Beliveau, LaFleur, and Carboneau in the top 5.......

Where was Lafleur ranked?

I don't have enough info to comment on Chooch's question but, with respect to Lafleur, I do think that generally speaking the generation behind me (guys born after '75 lets say) don't have a full appreciation of the guy. It's natural I guess - younger guys never saw him play. There is not enough about him at the HHOF in my opinion. I don't know if that is an anti-French thing (somehow doubt it) but I do think it is related to an over emphasis on Gretzky thing.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  20:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the top 50

1. Wayne Gretzky, C
2. Bobby Orr, D
3. Gordie Howe*, RW
4. Mario Lemieux, C
5. Maurice Richard, RW
6. Doug Harvey, D
7. Jean Beliveau, C
8. Bobby Hull*, LW
9. Terry Sawchuk, G
10. Eddie Shore, D
11. Guy Lafleur, RW
12. Mark Messier, C/LW
13. Jacques Plante, G
14. Raymond Bourque, D
15. Howie Morenz, C
16. Glenn Hall, G
17. Stan Mikita, C
18. Phil Esposito, C
19. Denis Potvin, D
20. Mike Bossy, RW
21. Ted Lindsay, LW
22. Red Kelly, D/C
23. Bobby Clarke, C
24. Larry Robinson, D
25. Ken Dryden, G
26. Frank Mahovlich*, LW
27. Milt Schmidt, C
28. Paul Coffey, D
29. Henri Richard, C
30. Bryan Trottier, C
31. d***ie Moore, LW
32. Newsy Lalonde, C
33. Syl Apps, C
34. Bill Durnan, G
35. Patrick Roy, G
36. Charlie Conacher, RW
37. Jaromir Jagr, RW
38. Marcel Dionne, C
39. Joe Malone, RW/C
40. Chris Chelios, D
41. Dit Clapper, RW/D
42. Bernie Geoffrion, RW
43. Tim Horton, D
44. Bill Cook, RW
45. Johnny Bucyk, LW
46. George Hainsworth, G
47. Gilbert Perreault, C
48. Max Bentley, C
49. Brad Park, D
50. Jari Kurri, RW

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  09:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe it was biased at all. The French Canadian players are in fact well represented on this list and if anything are maybe a little high in some instances because they were on the Habs dynasties. Look at where Dionne is ranked for instance. Had he been on late the 70's Canadiens his ranking would skyrocket to top 15 I'm sure. Dionne had a more consistent and productive career than Lafleur did. Lafleur had an amazing peak but Dionne didn't taper off like Lafleur. Lafleur is 11th because of his Habs roster spot.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

Edited by - willus3 on 06/01/2007 09:29:50
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  10:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1997 Hockey News Panel of Judges...

Don Cherry
Bob McKenzie
Milt Dunnell
d*** Irvin
Stan Fischler
Al Arbour
Marcel Pronovost
Scotty Bowman
Franke Selke
Harry Sinden

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  11:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don Cherry
Bob McKenzie
Milt Dunnell
d*** Irvin
Stan Fischler
Al Arbour
Marcel Pronovost
Scotty Bowman
Franke Selke
Harry Sinden

- - Marshall McLuhan

I could be wrong but this isn't the complete list is it? I thought there were more on the panel.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  13:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the list is bias as much as it is geared towards offensive talents. 19 out of the top 50 are defense or goalies. More than 60% of the players are forwards and many of them were known for their offense. It's somewhat unfortunatey, but in the minds of many hockey fans and "hockey minds" offense = good play. Look at Crosby, no where near the defensive player that Lecavalier is, yet is regarded higher in the media.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  14:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I don't think the list is bias as much as it is geared towards offensive talents. 19 out of the top 50 are defense or goalies. More than 60% of the players are forwards and many of them were known for their offense. It's somewhat unfortunatey, but in the minds of many hockey fans and "hockey minds" offense = good play. Look at Crosby, no where near the defensive player that Lecavalier is, yet is regarded higher in the media.

So I'm kinda wondering why you don't regard Crosby higher then Beans?

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  15:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never said anywhere that I agree that offensive is more important than defense. Other than me being a fan of Gretzky(whom I don't think was a poor defender, just average, but that is an exhasted conversation) most of the guys I like are great two way players with an offensive edge. Have I mis-represented myself??

My point was that MOST hockey media folks seem to favor offensive players to defensive players.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  16:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never said anywhere that I agree that offensive is more important than defense. Other than me being a fan of Gretzky(whom I don't think was a poor defender, just average, but that is an exhasted conversation) most of the guys I like are great two way players with an offensive edge. Have I mis-represented myself??

My point was that MOST hockey media folks seem to favor offensive players to defensive players.

Not to be nit picky but you voted offense in the poll offense vs defense.
I'm just going by some of the guys I've read you like and how high you rank certain players. Coffey for example. Sorry. It was a little off topic anyway.

I agree with your point though that offense is generally favoured. It must be. It's the only way to explain Gretzky.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4462
( )

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  19:27:22  Reply with Quote
quote:
Look at Crosby, no where near the defensive player that Lecavalier is, yet is regarded higher in the media.

Not a fair comparison at this point.. LeCavalier had just as many defensive problems in his first few years in the league until he bought into a system and learned how to play a little more D. Give Crosby a few years to catch up.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7883
( )

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  03:29:31  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:

Don Cherry
Bob McKenzie
Milt Dunnell
d*** Irvin
Stan Fischler
Al Arbour
Marcel Pronovost
Scotty Bowman
Franke Selke
Harry Sinden

- - Marshall McLuhan

I could be wrong but this isn't the complete list is it? I thought there were more on the panel.

Not sure this is complete either
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  18:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all due respect Willus, I think you views on Gretzky are a little skued. The same way some people put him on above the rest, I think you are knocking him back a little more than most would think is accurate.

Do you seriously remember him being that poor of a defensive player?? If so, how are you the minority in that thought?? I'm not talking about people who say, "Gretzky's god, blah blah blah." either.

And yes, I too seem to favor player with a bit more offensive skills. But I feel my favorite players are good two way hockey players with an offensive edge.

Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  14:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason that people like offense more is because they like to see some goals, most people find a game with almost no scoring boring, personally I like low scoring affairs

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  14:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure there were more on the panel of judges, but those are the only names I can find so far...

Not sure how accurate, but this is from Wikipedia...

The Hockey News named a committee of 50 hockey experts (former NHL players, past and present writers, broadcasters, coaches and hockey executives) to select and rank the 50 greatest players in NHL history.

- - Marshall McLuhan

Edited by - PuckNuts on 06/04/2007 15:01:52
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  15:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am sure there were more on the panel of judges, but those are the only names I can find so far...

Not sure how accurate, but this is from Wikipedia...

The Hockey News named a committee of 50 hockey experts (former NHL players, past and present writers, broadcasters, coaches and hockey executives) to select and rank the 50 greatest players in NHL history.

- - Marshall McLuhan

I thought it was something like that.
If I remember I'll look in the book when I get home and post them.

Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  15:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only 2 arguements.
d***ie Moore should have been in the top 20.
Jari Kurri should NOT be in the top 50. Sure he was a good player, but what would we know about him if he didn't play with Gretzky?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  17:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurri maybe doesn't belong in the top 50, but sure you would have heard of him. Not only were there very few Europeans playing when he did, but Gretzky or not, 601 goals is hard to not hear about. Without Gretzky he maybe doesn't have 600, but he was still a hell of a sniper. He was the idol of most of the great Finnish players like Selanne. Maybe not top 50, but a hell of an offensive hockey player.

Edited by - Beans15 on 06/04/2007 17:34:21
Go to Top of Page

Guest2792
( )

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  03:16:40  Reply with Quote
vcvcvcvc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page