Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Does a Team Benefit from a Shortened Season? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  08:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Seeing as how it is quite unlikely that the season starts on time . . . which team, if any, do you think might benefit the most from a season that is half, 2/3 or 3/4 as long as a normal one?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

LA Kings
NJ Devils
Both Finalists from last year (Kings, Devils)
All the old teams
No one, really
Everyone, sort of
Pittsburgh (see: Crosby)
Calgary (see: Kipper and Iggy)
Toronto (see: a good start before an epic collapse)
Write-in: you have some other idea

Edited by - n/a on 09/12/2012 08:20:50

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  10:25:31  Reply with Quote
Over time I think the better teams would show that they are in fact the better team.

Like last year for example Toronto used a hot part of the season to make people believe that they were in fact better tha they were/are. Over the course of the full season it became clear who the real playoff teams were and the ones that weren't

I think the shortened season will help the bubble playoffs teams and the very young teams.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  12:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really depends on how the team is playing. To the guests point, I think TO would have loved to start the playoffs at the start of Feb last year. They may have lost early, but they would have been in. Contrary, the Devils had a stellar 2nd half to last season and took that momentum all the way to the Cup final.

I think the only thing a shorter season does is it puts a higher premium on the games. 60 games are more valuable in a season of 60 games compared to 60 games in a season of 80 games. A longer season means more room for error.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  21:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the teams that play the longest should benefit the most from a shortened season. I remember well the very slow start that both VAN and BOS had after the 2011 finals, neither team really got going until early December... so this season, I expect LA and NJD will benefit the most from the extra rest.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  10:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted the two finalists - definitely gives them more of a summer to rest and relax. So for New Jersey and LA, I think it's a bit of a plus for sure.

But the bubble teams, that in the long run may have missed the playoffs, could benefit in a shorter season - just riding a hot streak, hot goalie, hot line, etc. Over the long haul, the better teams will always rise to the top.

But that bubble team is difficult to predict - just because Toronto was hot to start last season, doesn't mean they will this season if and when they start.

The other thing it definitely favours is the older, banged-up players, and teams with those players. For my money, top of the list for that would be older goaltenders - Kipprusoff in Calgary, for sure, and certainly Brodeur in NJ off the top of my head.

Hmm. Really have to say it favours New Jeresey. Not only did they play the most games last year, but older key players are a huge part of that team - Brodeur, Elias, Zidlicky, Zubrus. And remember, they lost Parise, who played first line minutes.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4315
( )

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  11:50:29  Reply with Quote
Edmonton
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  10:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shortened season will benefit the Leafs as they go undefeated. 0 losses. Tied for first...and last.
0 wins, 0 losses, 0 OT/Shootout losses.

Best showing in years...but still, as we've ALL become accustomed to...nothing to show for it.

This is true too of the Habs who now will only be TIED for last place...along with everyone else.

0 games. 0 hockey. ALL hokey. And WAY too much Bettman. [again]

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page