Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Hockey is back . . . are you? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  04:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Ok, let's be honest now: With hockey returning January 19th, are you returning as well?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Nope - they lost me as a fan
Somewhat - will watch, but not spending money
Yep - put me in coach, put me in!

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  08:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll admit that I'm back! 100%!
no sir they have not lost a fan in me. GAME ON!!
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  15:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with such a long layoff and only one week of camp it will likely be playoff time before play returns to NHL level. The players just aren't going to be at form for a while.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  17:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I'm on the fence. I'm so much more into football this year without the NHL I won't be following much until after the Super Bowl. I also have no desire to watch hockey once golf season hits God's Country (Edmonton for all those asking).

I'm a firm maybe.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  21:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Honestly, I'm on the fence. I'm so much more into football this year without the NHL I won't be following much until after the Super Bowl. I also have no desire to watch hockey once golf season hits God's Country (Edmonton for all those asking).

I'm a firm maybe.

Edmonton is not god's country as long as I'm in it
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  05:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for the "they're not getting my money" option. I will be watching games, and of course, I am still running my hockey pool with pleasure.

And . . . it's sort of an unfair question in a way, when the negative answer would almost preclude anyone actually visiting this chat site to answer it! Think about it . . . if being honest, and if you really don't care about the NHL anymore . . . would you still be here? Probably not, love of international hockey and minor hockey notwithstanding.

But I am more curious to hear what you guys observe out there, especially in the smaller markets and US markets. I know Toronto won't be suffering, and even places like Edmonton and Calgary won't be, but . . . outside of Montreal, the Rangers, maybe Boston . . . there's going to be SOME kind of effect.

Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  14:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a reminder for the nopes and somewhats:

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1209&id=192032&cmpid=pit-fb-penguins

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  04:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

a reminder for the nopes and somewhats:

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1209&id=192032&cmpid=pit-fb-penguins

Nope . . . still not paying $110 for a crappy "cheap seat" at the ACC for a game against Carolina this year (I wouldn't have a hope in hell of paying a face value ticket price to see Crosby in action, btw).

If you throw in some nekkid hotties and free beer, I might think about it, but . . . for now, I am keeping my hard-earned money in my back pocket.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  09:47:14  Reply with Quote
No disrespect to the casual fan, but there's a big difference between staying away as an occasional ticket purchaser as opposed to someone who is a season ticket holder.

Last lockout, I heard from a lot of fans that they were going to boycott the game or stop going to the games (or stop watching on TV), but this did not happen. And it definitely did not happen with season ticket holders. In fact, attendance league-wide went up, and revenues went way up!

I suspect that NHL teams value a season ticket holder (and their opinion) a lot more than someone who buys the occasional ticket. (Notwithstanding the fact that some occasional ticket purchasers may become season ticket holders down the road.)

For all the bluster, let's see what happens when the games start. Will paying fans stay away? Will fans stop watching on TV?

I know a lot of season ticket holders, and I don't know one who plans on cancelling their season tickets. But I live in Edmonton, and when you're coming off back-to-back-to-back last place seasons (30th, 30th and 29th to be exact), there's a lot to be excited about! :)

Seriously though, the fans will come back, especially in the Canadian markets, and also, in the established US markets. I wish it were different, just like I wished it were so last lockout. And for those who say "this time it will be different," let's wait and see.

If it's anything like last time, there will be a lot of talk, but fans (and revenues overall) will keep turning the turnstiles!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  11:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I'm a firm maybe.

Beans, i'm in the same boat. All in on the NFL right now, especially with the Seahawks making a nice run! As for "no desire to watch hockey once golf season hits....", isn't that late July in Edmonton anyway when the Cup will already be over? Isn't that when the tundra thaws?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  19:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am most definatly happy hockey is back on the ice. No winter classic is disappointing but pretty much on schedule for when I figure we would have NHL hockey. Disappointed I wont see the Sens in Edmonton or Calgary this year as those would have been 100% ticket I would have boughts.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page