Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Anze Kopitar vs Jordan Staal Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Go_Habs_Go
Rookie

157 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  09:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I just traded Jordan Staal for Anze Kopitar in our keepers league. My friend accepted the trade because Staal is cheaper (we play with a salary cap), might have his break-out year, and Kopitar is injured.

I'm prettty sure Kopitar is better on the long-term, but for this year. Considering that Kopitar might miss about 3 weeks (so 2 weeks of the season), who will get more pts for this season ?

"Bon point Jacques!" - Benoît Brunet

Choices:

Anze Kopitar
Jordan Staal

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  10:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a tough call. It's hard to predict how Jordan Staal will adjust to a more offensive task. Even though he did have to step up offensively a few times in Pittsburgh when Crosby and\or Malkin was injured and was still under a ppg player. Plus a player going to a new team usually takes time to adjust to the system and this will probably affect his stats especially in a short season. But having his brother on the team will help him adjust. So many things comes in place for Staal.

As for Kopitar, it's all about the injury, if he only misses 8-10 games and still scores a ppg pace he'll be around the 40 points mark. Lets say 35-40. As for Jordan Staal I say he gets around 30-35. So for a pool that only counts point I say Kopitar but the difference is not big enough.

It's a good gamble!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  10:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a keeper league, i like this trade (for you). Staal's upside is very unknown and while his point totals should rise, will they rise to a ppg which we've seen brief glimpes of from Kopitar? For this season, it's a bit of a gamble, but moving forward, i like Kopitar's offense more. You also mentioned in another thread that you count +/- as well? If this is the same pool, Kopitar is very sound defensively (as is Staal) so you don't have to worry about a poor number there!

For this year, it's tough to say who will score more but in a shortened season and an injury to Kopitar, i'd say it's gonna be real close.
Go to Top of Page

Go_Habs_Go
Rookie

157 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  11:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We count the +/- only for the defensemen though...but still, yeah I like my trade, even though Kopitar is 6.8$ vs 4$ for Staal. Therefore, I think that if there's one year to try Jordan Staal in a keeper's pool with salary cap, it's this year with his relatively low salary. With his 6$ cap hit starting nxt year, i'm not sure he'll be that much worth it even if he steps his game up.

"Bon point Jacques!" - Benoît Brunet
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  13:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Jordan will get more points this season - but you win this trade longer term for sure.

Kopitar is out 3 weeks, possibly 4 - then it takes him a little while to get into game shape again... by then half the season is over. He's probably good for 30 points on the outside. I think Staal will flourish with the Canes as well, so I think he'll beat him this season.

But longer term.... Kopitar IMO is one of the top-10 centres in the NHL in terms of production and consistency, plays on a winning team, and is only 25 years old. You got that for the best 3rd line centre in the NHL who has only cracked the 50 point plateau once in his career, and who has now moved to a lower scoring team... Unless Staal was half the price of Kopitar, you win this trade.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  15:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Koptar has a much higher upside
Go to Top of Page

Guest4672
( )

Posted - 01/14/2013 :  07:06:54  Reply with Quote
Stall is going to have an AMAZING yr .. the Canes are stacked...
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  20:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You made the right deal. Everyone is hyping the Canes. However I expect them to finish 10th in the East. As for J Staal.. hes a hell of player of course.. but in fantasy KOP>STAA
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  15:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think you won this trade, in the long run and maybe this season.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page