Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 NHL Debating Visor Ruling Again Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  17:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Marc Staal's eye injury it looks like the NHL is debating the use of Visors in the NHL again.

NHL Visor debate - http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=7052887845
Chris Pronger on his eye injury - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659057&navid=nhl:topheads

Although I used to stand firmly behind the "player's choice" argument, I find myself wavering more and more lately. Perhaps it's that I'm a father now and have had some genetically programmed protective instincts kicking in; maybe it's the loss of some great players in recent years (Chris Pronger, Manny Malholtra, Marc Staal???); or maybe it just plain makes sense. I have played hockey for nearly 40 years now and only 2 years ago moved to wearing a visor. The transition was tough but after about 6 months it was a non-issue. Of course I'd prefer not to wear it, but it's just not an option for me, the risks are too high.

What are your thoughts on the issue?

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  19:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh, i'm 100% behind the mandatory visor rule! It's absolutely ridiculous in my mind that the kids grow up their entire lives wearing full cages and visors and then choose to get rid of them? There would be NO adjustment period, if they were to grandfather the rule in like they did helmuts years ago! I'd prefer they simply tell all the players to suck it up and don't even do the grandfather clause route and make them all wear them! What's it gonna take?

The Team1040 radio had a poll question today. It went something like this:

What will happen first?
a. Fighting is taken out of hockey
b. Visors are made mandatory
c. A player dies during a game (due to one of the above)

Great question, i never did hear the results of the poll, but sadly, "c" is a very possible correct answer.......
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  06:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly, since visor technology has gotten to a point where fogging/clarity really aren't an issue anymore . . . the only sticking point for it NOT to be mandatory is fighting.

Visors really cramp the style of fighters. Sucks, eh?

Serious eye injuries that have killed promising careers have already happened . . . so that's obviously not enough.

Might have to be a death or "near death" injury first, before they become mandatory.

Such is sport - they never do safety stuff pre-emptively. Never.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  00:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey slozo. A couple other reasons for not wearing them

1) when taking face offs, slap shots or when in a collission the jerking motion causes sweat to come off the head and lands on the visor obstructing the view. I'm constantly wiping it even if I'm skating up the ice. I hate that!

2) it's really freaking hot with a visor on. There is no air flow cooling you. It's a very noticeable thing to me.

I suspect that at the elite level these problems can be significant when considering the difference between a super star and an average player is measured microscopically.

Just food for thought.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  09:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Hey slozo. A couple other reasons for not wearing them

1) when taking face offs, slap shots or when in a collission the jerking motion causes sweat to come off the head and lands on the visor obstructing the view. I'm constantly wiping it even if I'm skating up the ice. I hate that!

2) it's really freaking hot with a visor on. There is no air flow cooling you. It's a very noticeable thing to me.

I suspect that at the elite level these problems can be significant when considering the difference between a super star and an average player is measured microscopically.

Just food for thought.

Speaking of elite level problems... when Malhotra started wearing his visor after his injury, I read an article about how, as a centre that took a lot of faceoffs, the edge of the visor upset his lower peripheral vision. The visor came down just far enough over his face that when he was taking faceoffs and looking downwards, some of the ice was in visor and some was not, which threw his perspective. He ended up having to adjust the tilt of his head and the position of his body to during faceoffs to compensate.

Not saying I don't like the idea of visor's - but players would have to adjust, each in their own ways.

Edited by - nuxfan on 03/09/2013 09:10:00
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  09:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it hard to believe that no one's come up with a visor/shield/cage that's more suitable, more comfotable, cooler, etc? With technology of today, it's hard to believe that there can't be made a longer shield that wouldn't affect vision when looking down while at the same time, have some air flow? What about a cage style that comes down but doesnt' necessarily come right under the chin with a strap?

I dunno, it just seems weird to me that a better design has yet to be invented if there's so many problems with the typical plastic shield.......
Go to Top of Page

Guest9848
( )

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  15:00:37  Reply with Quote
I think its dumb that people don't wear them, I mean whatever discomfort they may cause you i'm sure it wouldn't really compare to the discomfort of a puck in the eye. But I suppose if the players don't feel their eyes are all that important to them then go for it. I mean whats more important being able to see clearly without a visor in the way, or having eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9247
( )

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  03:13:14  Reply with Quote
Not a big fan of visors, since I was always a guy who refused to wear one, but for the safety of the players they should start making it mandatory, WITH the grandfather route. You can't just make players switch to a visor after they've played their whole careers without one. Make it so players who are coming into the NHL are all fully used to them so in no way it will affect how they have to play.

For example I remember 2 years ago when Getzlaf had that injury he got from getting a puck to the face, which could have been prevented by him wearing a visor. He was out for a good amount of time. When he came back I remember he had said he was going to try and wear a visor from then on, but after a few games went back to no visor because it affected the way he played the game.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page