Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Ben Bishop to Lightning Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  11:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just heard, though see nothing online yet, that Bishop was traded to the Lightning. Details to follow......

Guest2301
( )

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  11:25:04  Reply with Quote
for Cory conacer and a draft pick...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  11:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, it's Bishop to the Lightning for Cory Conacher and a 4th rounder.
Conacher has been a nice surprise for the Lightning and considering what Ottawa gave up for Bishop (i believe it was a 2nd rounder), it sounds like a good deal for them (for both teams in fact).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419774
Go to Top of Page

Guest2301
( )

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  11:33:09  Reply with Quote
Tampa got robbed lol plan and simple .. Great move ..
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  13:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not familiar with Conacher outside of the fact he is in the running for rookie of the year and is now Ottawa's leading scorer. Was this an absolute steal? Ottawa just got younger and Conacher doesnt really add what Ottawa needs heading into the playoffs, mainly playoff experience and grit. But I am glad to see Ottawa stack the house with another offensive young player and pick.

Bishop has been holding the fort in Ottawa with Anderson down and Lehner being the only goalie with a 2way contract Bishop took the opportunity to prove he is a legit NHL goalie on a team racked with injuries. Bishop has a very friendly entry level contract and is a RFA at the end of the year. Part of me didn't want to see him go.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  14:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I am not familiar with Conacher outside of the fact he is in the running for rookie of the year and is now Ottawa's leading scorer. Was this an absolute steal? Ottawa just got younger and Conacher doesnt really add what Ottawa needs heading into the playoffs, mainly playoff experience and grit. But I am glad to see Ottawa stack the house with another offensive young player and pick.

Bishop has been holding the fort in Ottawa with Anderson down and Lehner being the only goalie with a 2way contract Bishop took the opportunity to prove he is a legit NHL goalie on a team racked with injuries. Bishop has a very friendly entry level contract and is a RFA at the end of the year. Part of me didn't want to see him go.

Joshua.....Lehner appears to be the future in Ottawa. As good as Bishop could become, you prob won't miss him!

Conacher's size is obviously one of the biggest question marks. But as we've seen before, some small guys thrive in the NHL.

Edited by - Alex116 on 04/03/2013 15:31:12
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  15:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go deal for both team.

Tampa Bay now has a good duo in Bishop and Lindback. Takes some immediate pressure off Lindback.

Ottawa got a point producer with some skill. Small, but skill. Considering Ottawa still has Lehner and Anderson, good move by them.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  17:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I like Lehner and I have seen a lot of him out west, he is still potentially a good to great goalie of the future. Bishop will be a missed depth goalie. I believe Anderson is good to great, but there is that 1 year and a bit stigma that others have pointed out about him and very little playoff experience.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9053
( )

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  05:23:36  Reply with Quote
Conacher started off on fire and completed cooled off when he wasn't on a line with Stamkos anymore. His stats after his first 12 or so games aren't particularly impressive... Bishop's been on fire but hasn't played that many games.

Both assets are completely unproven and are gambles, although both should great potential. Good hockey trade for both sides since they're dealing from positions of strength to shore up weaknesses.

This is the type of trade that you have no clue who will wind up winning it because there's lots of risk on both sides. Could go either way and could also wind up with both teams winning.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4209
( )

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  11:49:43  Reply with Quote
Tampa now has the tallest goalie tandem ever. Lindback is 6'6 and Bishop is 6'7.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4209
( )

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  18:28:15  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4209
Tampa now has the tallest goalie tandem ever. Lindback is 6'6 and Bishop is 6'7.

Bishop entertaining a shutout with his first outing with the bolts. Wonder how Conacher is going to equal or outdo that.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  22:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Bishop entertaining a shutout with his first outing with the bolts. Wonder how Conacher is going to equal or outdo that.

Wow, what a great debut for your new team! A 45 save shutout!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  11:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told my friends on draft day that stevey . Y may have just quietly made the best aquistion available.

From what i have seen of Ben Bishop.....i have a funny feeling that this may ( in the long run ) be another Z. Chara move for Ottawa.

They certainly may regret this one......don`t be surprised if Tampa goes on an amazing run and pushes for 8th in the east at seasons end...being led by Ben Bishop.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  21:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

I told my friends on draft day that stevey . Y may have just quietly made the best aquistion available.

From what i have seen of Ben Bishop.....i have a funny feeling that this may ( in the long run ) be another Z. Chara move for Ottawa.

They certainly may regret this one......don`t be surprised if Tampa goes on an amazing run and pushes for 8th in the east at seasons end...being led by Ben Bishop.

Funny, most people i talk to think Ottawa robbed Tbay! I think there's a lot of hype on Conacher due to the hot start but he's really come back to earth the past 3 weeks. I too like what Bishop offers, though Ottawa is convince that Lehner is their future, and he too looks to be a possible future stud.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  17:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, i don`t know why people would think Ottawa robbed TB....do these same people know how many 5` 8`` players make an impact in the NHL.......i know theres been some good ones, but they are far and few.

In my opinion, Ben Bishop`s possible upside far out-weighs that of Cory .C......

A monster size goalie....who is very mobile...and good......this guy could be very, very valuable.

C. Anderson will be 32 years old next month....Ottawa is building a young team....maybe they should have moved Anderson and kept Bishop ??
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  20:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke, they still have Lehner and he's the reason they were able to deal Bishop. Clearly, the Sens believe that Lehner is their goalie of the future!

And, the only reason i can come up with that some people seem to think Ottawa won that deal hands down is Conacher's good start and Calder recognition. I don't personally agree with this idea of who theived who, just clarifying and answering your question.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  22:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alex, i don`t know why people would think Ottawa robbed TB....do these same people know how many 5` 8`` players make an impact in the NHL.......i know theres been some good ones, but they are far and few.

In my opinion, Ben Bishop`s possible upside far out-weighs that of Cory .C......

A monster size goalie....who is very mobile...and good......this guy could be very, very valuable.

C. Anderson will be 32 years old next month....Ottawa is building a young team....maybe they should have moved Anderson and kept Bishop ??

Duke, it sounds to me like you''re judging this trade based solely on who is taller. Size isn't everything...

Both teams got something that they lacked - young promising forward to OTT, young promising goalie to TB. We'll see which side has won this deal in a few years.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  08:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. As good as Anderson was to start this year, when the injuries mounted, including Anderson's, Bishop stepped in a became a legit starting goalie and Lehner didn't really get enough of a game sample to prove he is at this level yet. Again small game sample, but Anderson may have been the better goalie to shop around for a return. Who knows how good a return the Senators could have gotten, if Bishop netted a player in consideration for rookie of the year. I dont think this year is Ottawa's year to go deep in the playoffs. An appearance is a bonus with a roster this young and the injuries they have sustained. A future tandem of Bishop and Lehner would have been better to me, if the return for Anderson was strong enough.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  12:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was my exact point Joshua.

The smart GM would have dealth C. Anderson right now to achieve maximun return while Anderson is at his peak.......[b]and keep the young tandem of Bishop and Lehner together, push each other to greatness......[/b

considering that the Sens are probably NOT going to win Lord Stanley in the next 3 years.....trade Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  15:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm....i seem to remember suggesting the Sens look to trade Anderson at the deadline a few months ago. Can't recall who exactly, but some thought i was crazy to suggest it!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9053
( )

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  05:18:15  Reply with Quote
They still are crazy to suggest it... Anderson's not old, in goalie terms. He's the only one of the 3 that's proven. Goalies also tend to return horrible value in general (just look at what Bishop got, for example. In terms of importance to a team, Conacher doesn't hold a candle to Bishop just due to position)

It's not worth rolling the dice, otherwise you can end up with a horrible scenario like the leafs did last year.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  12:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That was my exact point Joshua.

The smart GM would have dealth C. Anderson right now to achieve maximun return while Anderson is at his peak.......[b]and keep the young tandem of Bishop and Lehner together, push each other to greatness......[/b

considering that the Sens are probably NOT going to win Lord Stanley in the next 3 years.....trade Anderson

I'd be suprirsed if the Sens didn't look at potential deals for all their goaltenders... and that the value back for Bishop was the best they could get. I would argue that Anderson is not at his peak right now anyway.

Fact is, Anderson is the best of the 3 of them, at least right now. He's the only one that is proven over more than a single season, and is reasonably priced and relatively young (for a goaltender). There are risks in going with 2 unproven goaltenders as your tandem - as a Leaf's fan, you're all too familiar with those risks, look at how the 2011/12 season finished without a veteran presence to help out when things went bad. And even now, despite both young goalies playing well, it continues to be the #1 concern around the team going into the playoffs.

I like the move of OTT going with one proven and one young goalie, and trading away the other unproven for a good prospect. It seems like a good idea both for now and into the future.

Edited by - nuxfan on 04/09/2013 13:00:07
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  14:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Hmmmm....i seem to remember suggesting the Sens look to trade Anderson at the deadline a few months ago. Can't recall who exactly, but some thought i was crazy to suggest it!

I argued against trading Anderson before his injury because he was not injured and the team had little star power he was the one big name left outside of Alfredson and Gonchar not injured. When Lehner and Bishop proved they could win games without the big stars who were injured, I changed my mind. Mind you I kept your arguement to trade Anderson in mind when I made the post that his return would have been greater and potentially better in the longer run for Ottawa. You had a point, but I never expected Ottawa to be in the position with Bishop in the lineup.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page