Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Who will be awarded the Conn Smyth trophy? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  07:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who is this year's Playoff MVP award winner, based on what you've seen so far (or what yo predict!)?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Krejci (BOS)
Rask (BOS)
Crawford (CHI)
Kane (CHI)
Horton (BOS)
Chara (BOS)
Sharp (CHI)
Bickell (CHI)
Lucic (BOS)
Bergeron (BOS)
Hossa (CHI)

Edited by - n/a on 06/19/2013 07:13:18

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  15:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barring a monumental collapse, Rask has it in the bag. Even if the Hawks win the series (which seems unlikely), his stats through the past 2 1/2 series have been extraordinary, and would likely be enough to win him the Smythe (see Ron Hextall 1987).

Krejci deserves consideration, but when a goalie totally bags the opposition the way Tuukka has, it's tough to look at anyone else.

As an aside, not sure how it works, but Big Z would certainly be deserving, and it might serve as a consolation for his Norris snub, should he win.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2014.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  15:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

Barring a monumental collapse, Rask has it in the bag. Even if the Hawks win the series (which seems unlikely), his stats through the past 2 1/2 series have been extraordinary, and would likely be enough to win him the Smythe (see Ron Hextall 1987).

Krejci deserves consideration, but when a goalie totally bags the opposition the way Tuukka has, it's tough to look at anyone else.

As an aside, not sure how it works, but Big Z would certainly be deserving, and it might serve as a consolation for his Norris snub, should he win.

Why do so many people feel that Chara was "snubbed" in the Norris voting. Fact is, he didn't have as strong of a season as he's had in the past both offensively and defensively. Admittedly, i don't see a lot of Bruins games, but this is what i heard countless times over from guys like Ferraro, Bob Mackenzie, etc on the radio.

Back on topic......i don't think Rask is necessarily a "shoo-in" if they lose. Win, pretty much, though Krejci deserves some love as well. If Chi can come back to win it, my money'd be on Crawford.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  16:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They seem to always give it to the goalie, because lets face it he is the MVP on every team. So if the team is successful you have to look at the goalie. The Conn Smythe goes to the top goalie just like the Hart goes to the Art Ross winner.

Anyway that being said Rask will win the Conn Smythe

But I think Chara is the one most deserving. Great leader, The Bruins are his team. He plays powerplay, shorthanded, shuts down the opposition best players (see Nash, Kessel*, Crosby or Malkin and now Toews. (the only exception being Kessel because Carlyle found a way to keep Kessel away from Chara) He has over 30 minutes average of ice time per game. He's a beast and deserves the Conn Smythe. Without him, Rask is not as good and Boston are out of the picture.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  05:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally asked because I thought it was really up in the air at this point - even in the scenarios for one or the other team winning.

Boston wins - Rask probably the front-runner, but Krejci and I believe Chara are right there.

Chicago wins - total toss-up between Crawford, Kane, Sharp, Hossa . . . and even Rask maybe, if Chicago is dominating from here on in but barely wins these tight games.

My vote was for Chara, surprise winner. I think he's got a signature game coming up in the next two.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4822
( )

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  20:55:42  Reply with Quote
Duncan Keith .
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  21:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I waited till after last game to vote. I'm going with Sharp. Leads the playoffs in goals and if he chips in 2-3 more big ones in the next few game AND they're not 1-0 or 2-1 games, he may just get it!!! IF, Chicago goes on to win the cup that is.....
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  09:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tough part about this award is that it is often given to the player who did the best in the final series. The award is technically for all of the playoffs and not just the finals. For that reason, I can't see how Rask doesn't win. He has faced the most shots, made the most saves, and has the best GAA and save % of anyone playing more than 3 games. Not even considering stats, he nearly single handily beat the Pens after being outshot every game and allowing only 2 goals against the best offensive team in the playoffs.

It's gotta be Rask.

PS - This is way off topic but I recall a semi-recent discussion about Lounge and his ability to 'win' big games. See Tuuka Rask. He wins games for his team.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  12:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The tough part about this award is that it is often given to the player who did the best in the final series. The award is technically for all of the playoffs and not just the finals. For that reason, I can't see how Rask doesn't win. He has faced the most shots, made the most saves, and has the best GAA and save % of anyone playing more than 3 games. Not even considering stats, he nearly single handily beat the Pens after being outshot every game and allowing only 2 goals against the best offensive team in the playoffs.

It's gotta be Rask.

Has he done enough to win if the Hawks win the series? What if the Hawks win the next two and close it out in 6? What if Crawford shuts the door for the next two (or plays really well and Rask doesn't?). Let's not forget that Crawford has an average just .03 (GAA) behind that of Rask. That is 1 goal either way and while Rask has faced more shots, Crawford has played more minutes. While Rask has shut down Crosby and Co, Crawford beat the defending champs. Let's face it, we're splitting hairs here but my whole point is that i think many think of Rask as super human because of the Pens series. Don't get me wrong, he was impressive, but he needed that performance to make people forget that he didn't exactly steal the first round series for the Bruins against the Leafs!

I personally don't think that Rask has been impressive enough to win the Conn Smythe without a SC Championship though if the Bruins win, he's odds on favorite.

quote:

PS - This is way off topic but I recall a semi-recent discussion about Lounge and his ability to 'win' big games. See Tuuka Rask. He wins games for his team.

Assuming this "Lounge" guy you speak of is Luongo , I'm sure he's "stolen" a period or two along the way, no? I mean, isn't that what Rask did a couple games ago in the first period to keep his team in the game? Is he winning games that the Bruins have no business winning? I'll be the first to admit, i've not watched a lot of the Bruins games but i've only heard he's played well, not that he's "stealing games the Bruins have no business winning". Also Beans, let's not forget that he's not yet won the cup, cuz you said yourself it's all about winning the Cup. We could yet label him the same way you seem to label Luongo, an above avg goalie who can't win the big one!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  12:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair points all around Alex. Just a rebuttle if I may:

-If we are splitting hair between Crawford and Rask then I would give the nod to Rask because of the Pittsburgh thing. That was pretty impressive.

-Never said that my homie Lounge did not steal a period here or there, but Rask was the main difference in that Pitt series.

-I think it's very unlikely that the Conn Smythe winner will be from the team that loses.

I think that if Boston wins it is Rask who will get the goofy trophy of a building and a maple leaf. (I really don't get that trophy at all) I do not think it will be Crawford if Chicago wins. I really don't know who will win from Chicago but I don't think it will be Crawford based on this media driven 'weak glove hand' stuff. The award is chosen by sports writers after all.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  13:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fair points all around Alex. Just a rebuttle if I may:

-If we are splitting hair between Crawford and Rask then I would give the nod to Rask because of the Pittsburgh thing. That was pretty impressive.

-Never said that my homie Lounge did not steal a period here or there, but Rask was the main difference in that Pitt series.

-I think it's very unlikely that the Conn Smythe winner will be from the team that loses.

I think that if Boston wins it is Rask who will get the goofy trophy of a building and a maple leaf. (I really don't get that trophy at all) I do not think it will be Crawford if Chicago wins. I really don't know who will win from Chicago but I don't think it will be Crawford based on this media driven 'weak glove hand' stuff. The award is chosen by sports writers after all.

I agree, Rask over Crawford when "splitting hairs" for sure. And i think we're in agreement that the winner will be from the SC Champions. Unless Rask were to stand on his head for the next three and lose 2-1 in each while facing 60+ shots, i think he'll miss out on it without a Boston Cup win.

The weak glove hand thing is very interesting and it's a good point you make about the media thing. When did this "weak glove hand" get exposed??? I've never really heard of Crawford struggling with it until this series, though admittedly, i don't listen to a lot of Blackhawks talk.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  14:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard Crawford refering to this weak glove hand thing today on the radio, he said that this nothing new to him as last your he was suppose to have a weak blocker side. You hear a lot about why Rask should win, like its preordained the Bruins are gonna win. Your right, this is mostly media driven and the majority of the writers are from the east, which see Rask play more.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  08:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick Kane anyone? If the 'Hawks win?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  09:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

Patrick Kane anyone? If the 'Hawks win?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Damn Kane! He's doing what I predicted Sharp would do!!!
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  10:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I have to agree with the fact the goalie usually wins this award I have to vote for Krejci. I think he has been very impressive and consistent, with Chara and his TOI in all situations a close second if Boston wins. If Chicago wins Crawford has to get it, but can't help feeling that the writers will snub him and pick Kane or Sharpe.

It has been a great series to watch.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  11:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"It has been a great series to watch."

And that we will all agree on!

Go to Top of Page

Guest4696
( )

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  11:24:35  Reply with Quote
Krejci well get it win or lose the Cup.. He has been a monster these playoff's.. If kane or toews gets it would be a complete Joke .. show up for a few games and get MVP i dont think so...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  20:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4696

Krejci well get it win or lose the Cup.. He has been a monster these playoff's.. If kane or toews gets it would be a complete Joke .. show up for a few games and get MVP i dont think so...

Hopefully you're not off to Vegas today to put money on this! NO CHANCE he wins if if Chicago wins the series. NONE! Zero! Nadda! Even if Boston wins, it's almost guaranteed to go to Rask, especially now that they're down 3-2. The only way Krejci could win it now imo is if he put up back to back hat tricks in leading Boston back from this deficit to a cup victory. Anything less and it's Rask's if Boston can come back and win it. Otherwise, i'm guessing they've already begun carving C O R........
Go to Top of Page

Guest2367
( )

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  09:06:03  Reply with Quote
Kane or krejci
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  11:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally voted for Rask, but after game 4 I think he only has a chance is Boston wins the cup.

Out of Chicago it's a tough call. I thought Hossa would've been a bigger part of the story.

I think Kane wins the MVP, but I give a tip o the hat to Seabrook as well. 2 game saving (1 series saving) OT goals, and his trip to the penalty box to give Toews a pep talk against Detroit. Gold Star buddy!

Maybe it's just me, but those events all stand out when I think about the road these guys have been on.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  15:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Barring a monumental collapse, Kane has it in the bag. Even if the Bruins win the series (which seems unlikely), his stats through the past 2 1/2 series have been extraordinary, and would likely be enough to win him the Smythe (see Reggie Leach, 1976).

Crawford deserves consideration, but when a player comes up so clutch the way Patrick has, it's tough to look at anyone else.

As an aside, not sure how it works, but Duncan Keith would certainly be deserving, and it might serve as a consolation for his Norris snub, should he win.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4696
( )

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  19:58:26  Reply with Quote
Bickell or Crawford who cares .. Hawks Win....
Go to Top of Page

Guest4696
( )

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  19:59:37  Reply with Quote
what a Joke .. patrick kane should knot have won that ..
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  20:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Care to explain your logic on that?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4696
( )

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  21:48:04  Reply with Quote
With out crawford there is no way in hell the hawks where even in this series the guy stood on his head....

patrick Kane showed up for 2 good games and wins the MVP..

Bickell was a monster all post seson,, Took care of CHARA pretty damn good i really think he hurt him....

thous are my thought and Many other tooo..
Go to Top of Page

Guest0504
( )

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  22:41:18  Reply with Quote
Crawford was good, can't argue that. He and Kane both deserve it.

You mention Sharp, but Kane finished the playoffs with more points and a slew of breakaways that made the Boston D look like swiss cheese at times. Your comparing good to great.

Bickel is clutch, but didn't do as much for the Hawks as people seem to think. Yes he had big goals, but he also was a defensive liability in a lot of games. MVPs don't do that.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  22:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I thought as the game wound down, it'd be Crawford. I could have lost a lot of money betting on that one! A little surprised that Kane got it mostly because if Boston won, it seemed to be a consensus that Rask would get it. So, what does Crawford do? Oh, just goes out and ends up with the lowest goals against avg in the playoffs? Sure, Rask was good vs Pittsburgh, but Crawford's team did knock of the defending champs!

Maybe Krejci really had a better shot at winning it (had Boston won) than we gave credit for?
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  09:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's usually announced shortly after a playoff series finishes that some key players had been playing with severe injuries. Haven't heard anything about Chara yet, but you can bet it will come out shortly that Big Z was indeed playing injured.

Coaches Corner last night focused on goals the Bruins had scored from the blue line throughout the playoffs. There was a bit in the 2nd intermission that showed Chara repeatedly, softly dumping to the corner, rather than unleashing from the point.

Also, and I had to rub my eyes a bit for this one, at one point, the ticker beside the score block read, "Chara has been on the ice for 9 of the Hawks last 10 goals". Had to look twice to make sure I wasn't misreading either the word 'Chara' or 'Hawks''.

Being that it was such a close series, a healthy Chara, in my opinion, would certainly have made the difference, and could have (though probably wouldn't have} resulted in his winning the Smythe.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  09:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0504

Crawford was good, can't argue that. He and Kane both deserve it.

You mention Sharp, but Kane finished the playoffs with more points and a slew of breakaways that made the Boston D look like swiss cheese at times. Your comparing good to great.

Bickel is clutch, but didn't do as much for the Hawks as people seem to think. Yes he had big goals, but he also was a defensive liability in a lot of games. MVPs don't do that.

Heard that big Z had an injury and was on the ice for 10 of Chicago's last 12 goals. Bickell being a liability in some instances was also playing with a grade 2 knee injury, matched up against Chara most of the time and was 2nd in points for Chicago these playoffs, was the major factor in why Chara wasn't able to play to his normal level. Might not deserve MVP, but belonged in the conversation.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

Guest4674
( )

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  10:32:17  Reply with Quote
I well put it to you this way about CHARA he was injured . How many chances did he have to rip a shot on Crawford and he didn't He passed every chance he could ..Even if he was Wide open...
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  16:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Bickell didn't belong in the conversation. But it's hard to single one player out from a playoff team which saw major contributions many different players.

My argument for Kane is that he was simply the brightest bulb in a very brightly lit room. His numbers reflect that.

I would suggest maybe that Bickell playing injured actually hurt his chances of winning rather than helped. Had he been healthy he might have run away with it. But that's pure speculation.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  16:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It leaves me oh so curious as to whether Krecji would have won, had the B's come back to win, especially if the games were 3-2 or 4-3 type scores. Looking at the final scoring numbers, he was 7 points clear of his closest competetor which is a lot over 22-23 games! He was also the only guy in the final who avg'd over a point a game!

Well, i guess we'll never know?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  00:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, I think Kane was at about 13% when game 6 started. Now he's over 25%. I love that people are still voting after it's been awarded. Time to lock this thread........
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  00:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about keith, I think he is the most important player on chicago
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: