Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 1st Week's Biggest Surprise! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  22:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
So we are just over 1 week into the 07/08 NHL season and there have been some excellent performances so far! But who do you think has been the league's biggest point producing surprise?

Remember, SURPRISE is the operative word here.

Choices:

Mike Comrie (NYI)
Daymond Langkow (CGY)
Paul Stastny (COL)
Corey Perry (ANA)
Jason Arnott (NSH)
Francois Beauchemin (ANA)
Dustin Brown (LAK)
Other (WHO?)

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  23:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Comrie. He is doing such a great job with The Islanders and is helping make the Islanders top line very dangerous.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7163
( )

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  06:23:39  Reply with Quote
how is stastny a surprise when he had a tremendous rookie season. he's only gonna get better in time!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5534
( )

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  09:09:12  Reply with Quote
Shure Stastny is gonna get better but when your playing in the shadows of Sakic and Smyth who are hall of famers and your bringing numbers like he is, hes trully a surprise 2 my eyes
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  09:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if Stastny performed 25% better than last year he still wouldn't be on the rabbid pace he is at now. He's a sophmore who is kicking ass right now! That is amazing considering most people have a bad sophmore year.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4251
( )

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  09:19:58  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5534

Shure Stastny is gonna get better but when your playing in the shadows of Sakic and Smyth who are hall of famers and your bringing numbers like he is, hes trully a surprise 2 my eyes

Smyth is a hall of famer?
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  10:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gotta say Comrie - 3ppg right now. I know it has only been two games but it if you're not an Oiler fan it would be nice to see him finally realize his potential.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  10:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Langkow has had a surprisingly good start to the season so far. His best season was last year with 77 pts and he already has four goals this year. This was a very nice surprise for me because I've always seen him as a second or third liner, and now he's showing what he's capable of. Keep it up Daymond!

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  15:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally Comrie is living up to his potential. It's early so this probably won't last but wow, 3 PPG. After relativley bad years in Ottawa and Edmonton this could be the year he unloads his true potential.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  17:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Comrie is playing well and I don't think he's realized his true potential, it's more like Ted Nolan released his true potential . He's also helped Ruslan Fedetenko. I could see Comrie at a 80-90 point season. And for Islander fans they should be happy with that.

But I gotta tip my hat to Paul Stastny. He is putting up good numbers on the second line. I don't think he will be averaging 2 points a game at the end of the season but 85-90 points wouldn't be a surprise to me.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!

Edited by - PainTrain on 10/09/2007 17:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  17:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comrie's potential?? The guy has only scored more than 100 points twice, and that was in the AJHL. Even in college and the DUB, he has never been more than a point a game guy. Barely at that!

He will fizzle, however should have his best season. Reason being he will get a ton of ice time on a weaker team.

First week though, he is a surprise. So is Stastny.

My surprise of the first week. Gerber. Solid to say the least. The guy hasn't lost a regulation game in 16 starts. He doesn't play at all in the playoffs. He was coming into camp thinking he would be the back up, and with Emery not ready, he comes in and wins 3 games for Ottawa.

That is very nice.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2611
( )

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  13:20:15  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Finally Comrie is living up to his potential. It's early so this probably won't last but wow, 3 PPG. After relativley bad years in Ottawa and Edmonton this could be the year he unloads his true potential.

Bad years in Ottawa????
Go to Top of Page

Guest5561
( )

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  13:29:37  Reply with Quote
You should do you research Bean. If you get slightly above a point a game in college, you are a star player. You won't see many college players scoring 100 pts, and I don't even know if it has ever happened before. Comrie also recorded over a goal per game with Kootenay and I think he averaged roughly 2 points per game before signing with the Oilers midseason.
I do agree with you that Comrie will definitely fade back to what he normally is... 50-60pt guy and that he is overachieving right now. He can play great when he is motivated, but he is too much of a baby most of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2907
( )

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  15:56:32  Reply with Quote
there is no way Statsny is a surprise
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  18:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I did do my research. If you want to consider a 2 PPG average in Alberta Junior Hockey and a 1.25 PPG in college potential, that's fine. And yes, he was doing very well in the W before he went to Edmonton. Yet, the guy has never gotten more than 60 points in any of his first 7 NHL season, I can't see how he had potential in the first place yet have potential to do more than 60 points a year.

And I have said it before on here, even with a decent junior or college career, it doesn't mean anything. Two guys that come to mind are Pat Falloon and Alexandre Daigle. Both had stand out junior careers, both went #1 overall(I think), and neither amounted to much more than average players in the NHL.

It's not like Comrie had Crosby/Lemieux/Gretzky type junior numbers.

Comrie had potential to do exactly what he has done. Been a 60 point a year guy. He will never be more than that.

PS- 6 points in two games from Comrie, how many in the last two???

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.

Edited by - Beans15 on 10/12/2007 16:22:18
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  20:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Mike Comrie, his father owns ''The Brick". So Comrie has lived his whole life with a lot of money. When he was younger his dad, Bill Comrie, would rent out a rink in there hometown to just have him practice on it. Not really referring to the topic but I though you guys would like to know.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!

Edited by - PainTrain on 10/11/2007 20:15:06
Go to Top of Page

Guest2400
( )

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  13:48:34  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

So we are just over 1 week into the 07/08 NHL season and there have been some excellent performances so far! But who do you think has been the league's biggest point producing surprise?

Remember, SURPRISE is the operative word here.

I agree with others, Stastny is not really a surprise, wanted him for my pool as had him last year and ALMOST won it for me but Zetterberg had to get injured in the last two weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  16:43:57  Reply with Quote
How about Jagr 2 points in 3 games at his caliber, but still I say Stastny
Go to Top of Page

Guest4282
( )

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  16:56:09  Reply with Quote
Just a quick note to BEANS15. I know that you said you thought Pat Falloon was #1 overall, but he actually was #2 in 1991 by San Jose. He was picked second behind #1 pick Eric Lindros by Quebec and just ahead of #3 pick, Scott Niedermayer by New Jersey. I just thought I'd let anybody know who might be interested.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  21:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right about Falloon. I knew he went high. My point is he had a great career until he hit the NHL. Then, nothing.

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  18:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that he has started to go in his second week but I'm surprised of Brian Campbell. 9 points in 4 games as a defenceman. Not to shabby!

Eat,Sleep,Watch Hockey,Play Hockey
The Perfect Life!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  19:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5561

You should do you research Bean. If you get slightly above a point a game in college, you are a star player. You won't see many college players scoring 100 pts, and I don't even know if it has ever happened before...

Paul Kariya for Maine in the 1992-93 season.

Games 39 Goals 25 Assists 75 Points 100, That is 2.56 points / game...

Jim Montgomery had 95 points in 45 games, and not much of an NHL career...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Guest4938
( )

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  14:15:10  Reply with Quote
Where the Hell is Jonathan Cheechoo??
Go to Top of Page

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  16:14:23  Reply with Quote
statsny is just a fluke
you people are just a bunch of bandwagoners
Go to Top of Page

Jawbreakerz
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  19:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a surprise to me, he's got heart and is playing on the right team suited for him, great leadership. He would be a great fit in the Habs line-up!
Go to Top of Page

Guest1784
( )

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  12:27:38  Reply with Quote
chill out now its not that big of a deal
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7163

how is stastny a surprise when he had a tremendous rookie season. he's only gonna get better in time!

Go to Top of Page

Guest9762
( )

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  14:19:45  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4251

quote:
Originally posted by Guest5534

Smyth is a hall of famer?

Smyth is sick, man, he's just having a bad start
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  14:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4938

Where the Hell is Jonathan Cheechoo??

Why is Cheechoo a surprise after his 56 goal season?

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page